Sign in to follow this  
HackneyRed

An Orient view

It was a game that wasn''t dramatically turned by a disgraceful red card decision, but it certainly didn''t help.

The first ten minutes aside, Norwich completely dominated the game, and the opening goal was always just around the corner.

Now, the red card, I can honestly say that it was an absolute disgrace. Adam Drury clearly went in two-footed on JJ Melligan, he jumped up to avoid the challenge and unfortunately landed on him. The linesman (who was twenty yards closer to the incident than the referee) gave the decision to us, but the referee showed Melligan the red card without even talking to the linesman.

But, in all honesty, I think we''d have still lost even if the referee had made the right decision.

Norwich always looked like scoring, but 4-0 was extremely flattering.

Enough about the action on the pitch, what about off it?

I''m 19 years old, and been following Orient for ten years both home and away. The whole night just didn''t feel like I was following Orient. Our fans were very feisty and confrontational, and fighting amongst themselves? That''s unheard of at our place. A couple also tried to get into the Norwich end. But it was a decent atmosphere. There were also a series of fights on the train home between sets of Orient and Charlton (who lost 3-0 at Colchester) fans. Police took their time, but eventually got it under control, arresting all the culprits. Throw away the key if you ask me.

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Its odd for us to get a decision go our way, our luck with the referees is poor to say the least!

Just hope we can push on now and get a decent run, the play offs aren''t far off... hopefully.

Hope that it was, overall, not a bad day out for you guys. Just a shame about the trouble really.

The sending off was right in front of me near the split between home/away fans, i originally thought it was a hard tackle by Drury with a free kick to Orient but nothing more as i''m not sure he went in with 2 foot and high but i didn''t really notice Melligan going in, as my eyes were soley on Drury who had committed himself to the tackle very early.

I''m not sure the sending off affected the game a whole lot though, if anything it forced Orient to sit back further, we always struggle breaking down 10men. I think it was a case of getting that opening goal against 10 or 11 men, either way i think the gates may have opened afterwards.

Thought your lot were quite loud, only two songs though :P

Had a good number there til we got our 2nd also ;)

I was certainly surprised by the noise of the Orient fans but "East East East London" and "Orient Orient Orient" did get on my nerves after a while.

Is it just me or are all these Cockneys over-aggresive and very angry people? Charlton and now Orient kicking up a fuss in consecutive games, we better brace ourselves for Millwall

[quote user="HackneyRed"]

It was a game that wasn''t dramatically turned by a disgraceful red card decision, but it certainly didn''t help.

The first ten minutes aside, Norwich completely dominated the game, and the opening goal was always just around the corner.

Now, the red card, I can honestly say that it was an absolute disgrace. Adam Drury clearly went in two-footed on JJ Melligan, he jumped up to avoid the challenge and unfortunately landed on him. The linesman (who was twenty yards closer to the incident than the referee) gave the decision to us, but the referee showed Melligan the red card without even talking to the linesman.

But, in all honesty, I think we''d have still lost even if the referee had made the right decision.

Norwich always looked like scoring, but 4-0 was extremely flattering.

Enough about the action on the pitch, what about off it?

I''m 19 years old, and been following Orient for ten years both home and away. The whole night just didn''t feel like I was following Orient. Our fans were very feisty and confrontational, and fighting amongst themselves? That''s unheard of at our place. A couple also tried to get into the Norwich end. But it was a decent atmosphere. There were also a series of fights on the train home between sets of Orient and Charlton (who lost 3-0 at Colchester) fans. Police took their time, but eventually got it under control, arresting all the culprits. Throw away the key if you ask me.

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

[/quote]

Good luck for the rest of the season mate.

Having lived in Bethnal Green for a few years, I''ve actually been to Brisbane Road a few times and sat with the home fans. I agree that you Orient fans are great football fans, and I''m supprised to hear there was trouble.

Yeah was on that train back, bit of a funny atmosphere. Fight was kicking off in one carriage so had to turn back "They''re just four divs walking through a train" was what the Orient fans were shouting. Lot of ''special'' cockney boys on that train.

My dad''s an Orient fan so I retain some interest and felt pretty guilty celebrating the goals. My da and bro had seen Orient nail Col U in the league cup and were impressed, so I had expected rather more of them this season to be honest, but they don''t seem to be quite picking up the results.

After the first ten minutes when you had looked dangerous it was strange to see the repetitive long ball from Orient which gave Doc and Askou an easy night. Andros Townsend looked dangerous and should have had more ball in behind spillane, but it never really happened. I think if Townsend can improve through the season then Orient should move up the table.

Hope things go well rest of season, will be at brisbane for the return in April i believe.

Firstly, thought you bought a very decent amount considering it was a midweek game.  Also have a bit of a soft spot for Orient as they were the first team I ever saw play against Norwich.  In the 70''s a mate of mine had a trial there and they were a decent bunch.

The first thing I thought when the ref flew to his pocket for the card was that it was Drury who was going to go - looked like a dodgy tackle from him to be honest.  Agree that I thought a goal was inevitable and that we were a bit flattered by the scoreline.  Having said that, the likes of Korey Smith, Micky Spillane and the ''Doc'' had immense games and I really like the confidence and distribution of Declan Rudd.

Good fan - sang all night. Liked the look of Townsend (why was he taken off?) and thought you guys at least tried to play football in a commendable way. Good to see Andrew Cave Brown, Ryan Jarvis and to a lesser extent Jimmy Smith doing okay with you as well - and I felt you were a much better side than both Wycombe and Walsall. I think you''ll be okay.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Good fans - sang all night. Liked the look of Townsend (why was he taken off?) and thought you guys at least tried to play football in a commendable way. Good to see Andrew Cave Brown, Ryan Jarvis and to a lesser extent Jimmy Smith doing okay with you as well - and I felt you were a much better side than both Wycombe and Walsall. I think you''ll be okay.[/quote]

Edited.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I was certainly surprised by the noise of the Orient fans but "East East East London" and "Orient Orient Orient" did get on my nerves after a while. Is it just me or are all these Cockneys over-aggresive and very angry people? Charlton and now Orient kicking up a fuss in consecutive games, we better brace ourselves for Millwall[/quote]

especially as its boxing day lolWink [;)]

I thought Orient looked very pacy in the first 10 minutes and it looked like we were going to be in for a long night but once we got to grips with them the gulf in class and ability between the two teams was clear to see, although you defended well it was a miracle that you reached half time level. I''d say 4-0 was about the right result considering the amount of play we had . Your fans were as loud as any we''ve had this season and I was impressed with the amount that turned up, I was only expecting a couple of hundred and I guess there must have been closer to a thousand of you which made for a decent atmosphere.

I (admittedly from the Upper Barclay) thought the ref sent him off for studs. Drury went in hard but the other guy landed in D''s groin studs first and the ref saw it. He was extremely certain going for the card that quick.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Good fan - sang all night. Liked the look of Townsend (why was he taken off?) and thought you guys at least tried to play football in a commendable way. Good to see Andrew Cave Brown, Ryan Jarvis and to a lesser extent Jimmy Smith doing okay with you as well - and I felt you were a much better side than both Wycombe and Walsall. I think you''ll be okay.[/quote]He was taken off because after 30 minutes he did absolutely nothing.  Looked like he didn''t have the legs to be honest.  He was causing us big problems to begin with.

Found this match report as well if anyone''s interested.

To be fair, Norwich were all over us and the goal was coming but had it stayed 11 v 11 the winning margin wouldn''t have been so big. We started well in the first 10 minutes with Townsend and Daniels in particular linking up well on the left, with Daniels'' piledriver against the bar the closest we went. Incredibly, I''ve just remembered now that I heard someone mention when we hit the bar up at Forest early on and went on to lose 4-0, freaky. After that Norwich got a foothold in the game and showed their clear superiority. Their extra man in midfield meant that they moved the ball about well and we struggled to regain possession. Wes Hoolahan was tearing us to shreds by constantly popping up in the area between the midfield and the defence and their wingers were good and intelligent enough to support the attack and push on, something which we fail to do.

We were defending well but offered nothing going forward. Bar Townsend occasionally threatening our midfielders never managed to get into any decent attacking positions, and the ball just wasn''t sticking up front. Slowcroft was getting easily beaten in the air and Jarvis for all his trying failed to win a single ball and was painfully easily marshalled by the defence. Then early on in the second half Melligan is going for the ball when Norwich''s left-back flies in at him. JJ jumps to avoid contact and the possibility of breaking his leg and lands half on top of their man''s legs. The lino on our side was flagging for a free-kick to us, we were going mental screaming for a red, the ref obliges, we cheer but to our amazement, he''s sent off Melligan, the ****ing ****end.

From there it was always going to be virtually impossible and Norwich gave a very professional performance for the remainder of the match, utilising the extra space effectively, retaining possession and forcing us to chase and chase, meaning we were quite visibly shattered. The goal was coming and it looked like Daniels was out of position as the ball was played through to Martin for a neat finish. The next goal, the player on the left had too much space to get the cross in and the defence got drawn too far over and Holt was, criminally, allowed to chest the ball down at the back stick and pick his spot, continuing his scoring record against us. The next was another Daniels defending masterclass where he showed his man inside and allowed him to unleash a superb drive into the far corner. I missed the final goal as I left about a minute earlier.

As I said, the better team won but going down to 10 men ****ed us over so badly. Once Norwich got one the floodgates were always gonna open as we were physically and emotionally drained and had to push forward more. They gave a very professional performance and are clearly well ahead of us. Should be playoff contenders at least on that showing.