Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

A few belated thoughts on the match

1. First 15 minutes we were awful and simply didn''t get going. Then our midfield got going, Wes started to drop off and pick up the ball and I thought some of the football for the last 30 mins of the first half was superb.

2. The one frustration is we need to puit our foot throuigh the ball when in goalscoring positions. Hoolahan is the chief culprit here and i think lambert did have a word at half time because the first time he got the ball in the box in the second half he got a shot off straight away. Hoolahan continues to delight but also to frustrate. However for me its much more of the former when he is on song and some of the criticism on here today is well over the top. The fact is he creates half the chances himself and is by far and away our most creative player. They could not get the ball off him at times last night and I would much, much rather have him playing for us than against us!

3. I thought Spillane recoved from getting done a couple of times in the first 10 minutes to produce an excellent display.

4. Martin also was excellent when he came on and deserves a start on Saturday. The selection of Mcveigh was strange and didn''t really work. lambert said we needed pace in the team but then took it out and put our slowest player on the wing! Ok Martin is not quick but he is at least direct and knows where the goal is.

5. Praise to the Doc. A flawless performance.

6. Really feel Lambert is starting to build something. need a good win on saturday now. It will however be much, much tougher than tonight as Rovers look a decent side and are scoring plenty of goals away from home.