Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

The world turned upside down

Amazing! I go away for a well earned holiday and when I come back the canary world has stood on it''s head.I just managed to recover my car at Stansted last night in time for the start of the game, but then had to check my hearing when the team was announced with Doc in it, but I received an even bigger shock when a certain J Cureton notched the last goal!

Seriously though, the fact that the likes of Doc,Nelson, Russell, Cureton and Hoolahan have appeared at various times to be completely out of the equation yet have all made valuable contributions in recent weeks suggests that, after the dictatorship of Roeder and the "all mates together" approach of Gunn we actually have a management team which is prepared to be flexible and has no qualms about changing direction when the situation demands. Add to that the great faith shown in our young players and I''m starting to believe that we really have at last appointed a manager who can turn things around after the steady decline of recent years. As I understand it we played some good football against both Charlton and Gillingham and clearly we did so last night after a slow start. Perhaps the future is looking brighter at last, although I still think that the playoffs are our most realistic chance of going straight back up this year.

Absolutely right. I''m really impressed with the management at the moment. A lot was said about Lambert potentially isolating players and so on but it''s really straight forward from where I sit.... if you earn your place then you''re in the team. No one can argue with that.

Good post Beau.

I think a point worth adding is that because Lambert hasn''t made any signings he is able to base his team selections solely on the circumstances and those players who have performed well in training. As yet he doesn''t have anything riding on particular players in terms of them justifying his decision to bring them to the club or a transfer fee etc.

A lot of managers will persist with players they have signed to demonstrate it was the right decision - possibly at the expense of others who are more capable or in better form.

[quote]A lot of managers will persist with players they have signed to

demonstrate it was the right decision - possibly at the expense of

others who are more capable or in better form.[/quote]Very true that, and it''s been going on since time immemorial.  Someone I knew was Norwichs'' number 2 goalie way back in the midsts of time, he played for England as an under 18.  He had a chance to go to West Brom, Norwich had signed a new keeper when he had a chance to move there.  He chose to fight for the number 1 jersey here, and never got it, you''re never going to replace a bloke they''ve spent big money on, and for the time, they had spent big money on this keeper.It''s a shame, but that''s life.

I think we now have a proper football manager.  Well done McNally, well done D and M for appointing him and Gunn for some decent signings.

Mind you i remember posting something similar in Roeders first season....[:S]

Seriously though, talk about revisionism ! It was Gunn and his managment team that showed great faith in our young players and who reinstated Spillane and Martin as well as giving Smith and Adeyemi their opportunities not to mention rehabilitating Lappin, bringing in the highly impressive Hughes and of course Holt and, sustaining faith in Hoolahan. The fact that Hoolahan and Russell were pigheadedly overlooked by Lambert during a critical period when gaining points was so vital suggests to me that Lambert was stupidly stubborn and too proud. I went to the Yeovil match and saw scintillating football from Norwich, using 10 outfield players that also featured last night, which demonstrated to me that Gunn and Butterworth would be an excellent management team. I wonder what what gives you the right to contemptuously dismiss Gunn''s style of management as "the all mates together approach" ? What the heck do you know about his style of management, are you claiming to be an insider with first hand information or, more realistically, did you swallow hook, line and sinker everything that expert on football management, late of Fulham, Mr Mc Self Important said ? After the most successful pre-season in many a year, Gunn''s Norwich team had a one-off disastrous game against Colchester when everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Just like David Moyes''s Everton and look where Everton are now. Gunn detractors like you and I suspect Mr Mc Sefl Important were waiting in the wings for just this opportunity and of course  the rest is history.

Praise Lambert by all means but don''t allow your judgment to be polluted by your dislike of all things Gunn. Lambert is not all good and Gunn, as demonstarted, was far from being all bad.

The squad that Lambert is now saying is capable of promotion was put together by Gunn and I hope that Lambert provides the leadership, motivation and tactical nous to achieve the very thing that Lambert is now saying is possible. Presumably,then, if we fail to gain promotion Lambert will have failed.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Amazing! I go away for a well earned holiday and when I come back the canary world has stood on it''s head.I just managed to recover my car at Stansted last night in time for the start of the game, but then had to check my hearing when the team was announced with Doc in it, but I received an even bigger shock when a certain J Cureton notched the last goal!

Seriously though, the fact that the likes of Doc,Nelson, Russell, Cureton and Hoolahan have appeared at various times to be completely out of the equation yet have all made valuable contributions in recent weeks suggests that, after the dictatorship of Roeder and the "all mates together" approach of Gunn we actually have a management team which is prepared to be flexible and has no qualms about changing direction when the situation demands. Add to that the great faith shown in our young players and I''m starting to believe that we really have at last appointed a manager who can turn things around after the steady decline of recent years. As I understand it we played some good football against both Charlton and Gillingham and clearly we did so last night after a slow start. Perhaps the future is looking brighter at last, although I still think that the playoffs are our most realistic chance of going straight back up this year.

[/quote]

Welcome back to the old plantation massa Beau!

Difference is that Lambert has instilled disciplin and hunger something lacking with the previous manager.

He openly stated when questioned at the forum, that Wes was a good player "and when he learnt to do what he, Lambert, wanted would play"

The same tactics I think has been used on Doc and Russell, come into line, perform how Culverhouse tells you, and all will be well if not move on.

Depite what our resident one man Gunn club posts and posts and posts, Gunn had lost the dressing room and his staff.

If not Butterworth could have taken Gunns magnificent signings and won the matches he was in charge of.

He also forgets that JD scouted and obtained most of the new guys (good and bad) and that Gunn was the scout for Grant and Roeder and the dross that came via that route.

Nice guy shame about the ability!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Difference is that Lambert has instilled disciplin and hunger something lacking with the previous manager.

He openly stated when questioned at the forum, that Wes was a good player "and when he learnt to do what he, Lambert, wanted would play"

The same tactics I think has been used on Doc and Russell, come into line, perform how Culverhouse tells you, and all will be well if not move on.

Depite what our resident one man Gunn club posts and posts and posts, Gunn had lost the dressing room and his staff.

If not Butterworth could have taken Gunns magnificent signings and won the matches he was in charge of.

He also forgets that JD scouted and obtained most of the new guys (good and bad) and that Gunn was the scout for Grant and Roeder and the dross that came via that route.

[/quote]

Why thank you kind sir!

Yes, I''m afraid that Mr Franklin will continue to stick to his line in the face of facts. We now look solid at the back, capable of playing in different ways against different opposition and, most importantly, able to replace key players without the whole thing falling apart. The players appear motivated and believe in themselves and the system. None of these things, of course, were true under the previous regime.

By the way, how the hell can anyone compare a rookie manager who has just seen his club relegated and then destroyed at home in the opening game to someone like Moyes, who has got Everton into Europe and in the top five in the Premiership with a tiny fraction of the big four''s resources?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why thank you kind sir!

Yes, I''m afraid that Mr Franklin will continue to stick to his line in the face of facts. We now look solid at the back, capable of playing in different ways against different opposition and, most importantly, able to replace key players without the whole thing falling apart. The players appear motivated and believe in themselves and the system. None of these things, of course, were true under the previous regime.

By the way, how the hell can anyone compare a rookie manager who has just seen his club relegated and then destroyed at home in the opening game to someone like Moyes, who has got Everton into Europe and in the top five in the Premiership with a tiny fraction of the big four''s resources?

[/quote]

Easy they are called "rose coloured glasses" and can be found at any good psycophants emporium!

All the usual suspects rallying round to protect the banner. No surprises there then. Blimey, you''re all so up each others'' and your own arrases that it''s breathtaking, well it must be for you anyway.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]All the usual suspects rallying round to protect the banner. No surprises there then. Blimey, you''re all so up each others'' and your own arrases that it''s breathtaking, well it must be for you anyway.[/quote]You''re so deluded that it''s sickening.

Ha ha, like I said, all the usual suspects rallying round to protect the banner. No surprises there then. Blimey, you''re all so up each others'' and your own arrases that it''s breathtaking, well it must be for you anyway.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

Ha ha, like I said, all the usual suspects rallying round to protect the banner. No surprises there then. Blimey, you''re all so up each others'' and your own arrases that it''s breathtaking, well it must be for you anyway.
[/quote]Bob you bore, why don''t you go and offer your services to Bryan?  I''m sure he would appreciate it in these difficult times for his career, he must be rather down.

[/quote]

You really were born out of time, weren''t you? If you''d been around in the Middle Ages you could have really indulged yourself by wearing a hair shirt and self flagellating while chanting " I devote myself to you oh glorious Bryan even though I am unworthy".

Unfortunately as you''re around now you have no choice but to make yourself look a total prat by defending the indefensible again,and again, and again,and again,and again..........[:#][|-)]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]All the usual suspects rallying round to protect the banner. No surprises there then. Blimey, you''re all so up each others'' and your own arrases that it''s breathtaking, well it must be for you anyway.[/quote]

Oh dear yellow crazy

Oh and Beau, good post [:D]

The fact that Hoolahan and Russell were pigheadedly overlooked by Lambert during a critical period when gaining points was so vital suggests to me that Lambert was stupidly stubborn and too proud.

What the heck do you know about his style of management, are you claiming to be an insider with first hand information or, more realistically, did you swallow hook, line and sinker everything that expert on football management, late of Fulham, Mr Mc Self Important said ?

Gunn''s Norwich team had a one-off disastrous game against Colchester when everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

The squad that Lambert is now saying is capable of promotion was put together by Gunn and I hope that Lambert provides the leadership, motivation and tactical nous to achieve the very thing that Lambert is now saying is possible.

[/quote]

Bob - I take issue with the selected points you raised in your post;

Russell has been brought in from the cold by Lambert after being frozen out by Bryan Gunn so your comment doesn''t seem to stack up. It seems incredible to criticise Lambert for not playing Russell sooner when he was not fit to do so having played no part in Bryan''s pre-season.

You deride McNally - the ''expert on football'' but I would suggest that his track record of running football club''s makes him a far better judge of a manager''s suitability than any ''average joe'' who posts on a messageboard - including both you and I.

Gunn''s Norwich were relegated - the Colchester game was the straw that broke the camel''s back.

One element of managing a football club is bringing in players and I think even Gunn''s biggest critics would applaud the signings of Holt, Askou and Hughes. However this is tempered by the signings of Theoklitos, Gill, Tudor-Jones and Maric who have yet to demonstrate any worth. As you point out, other elements of management are leadership, motivation and tactical nous and it remains to be seen whether Lambert will provide this....so far so good. Many people feel that this is the area that was sadly lacking during Bryan''s tenure.