Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Paul Mcveigh - Only negative from last night ?

Great result, great performance and 4 goals.   Perfect night.However, all the good stuff came when Mcveigh left the field to be replaced by Chris Martin.I don''t get why Mcveigh was on the pitch yesterday, when before the game Lambert was quoted as saying he needs to get some young pacey legs on the pitch.  You get the exact opposite with Mcveigh.   I don''t want to seem negative but I was just frustrated by his performance and his corners!!! Why wasn''t Lappin taking them?    Surely he will be dropped Saturday to be replaced by Martin in a 4-3-3.Anybody disagree or agree ?

I think it''s tough. There''s a good half a dozen of pretty realistic options. How do you fit Martin, Holt and Hoolahan - all in good form - into a strike force? How do you reconcile that with playing Russell, Hughes, Smith and Lappin - also all playing well? Spillane on the right, or offering the pace in center of defence?

All nice things to have to worry about, IMO.

Lambert thought he would provide creatively, but he lacked pace, precision and penetration. All of those Martin provided the moment he stepped on the pitch, and Martin isn''t afraid to shoot like some of our other players on the pitch.

I think thats really harsh and demonstrates you did not watch very closely.  McVeigh linked up a lot of the play in the first half and created two good chances.   Also you will have noted he went of 8 minutes after Orient went down to 10 men so hardly got the same room as Martin did, or actually Spillane as it was him who was on the right while Martin drifted central.[quote user="Duffman"]Great result, great performance and 4 goals.   Perfect night.However, all the good stuff came when Mcveigh left the field to be replaced by Chris Martin.I don''t get why Mcveigh was on the pitch yesterday, when before the game Lambert was quoted as saying he needs to get some young pacey legs on the pitch.  You get the exact opposite with Mcveigh.   I don''t want to seem negative but I was just frustrated by his performance and his corners!!! Why wasn''t Lappin taking them?    Surely he will be dropped Saturday to be replaced by Martin in a 4-3-3.Anybody disagree or agree ?[/quote]

So you reckon Daley or Whaley offer more on the right then do you?[quote user="Captain Holt"]He''s the only weak link I can see. Should be nowhere near the squad, let alone the team. We love you Paul Mcveigh?!?!?[/quote]

[quote user="ref89"]I think thats really harsh and demonstrates you did not watch very closely.  McVeigh linked up a lot of the play in the first half and created two good chances.   Also you will have noted he went of 8 minutes after Orient went down to 10 men so hardly got the same room as Martin did, or actually Spillane as it was him who was on the right while Martin drifted central.[quote user="Duffman"]Great result, great performance and 4 goals.   Perfect night.However, all the good stuff came when Mcveigh left the field to be replaced by Chris Martin.I don''t get why Mcveigh was on the pitch yesterday, when before the game Lambert was quoted as saying he needs to get some young pacey legs on the pitch.  You get the exact opposite with Mcveigh.   I don''t want to seem negative but I was just frustrated by his performance and his corners!!! Why wasn''t Lappin taking them?    Surely he will be dropped Saturday to be replaced by Martin in a 4-3-3.Anybody disagree or agree ?[/quote][/quote]I was watching as closely as everyone else on this forum who has said Paul Mcveigh was poor last night.Perhaps you should be the one to watch more closely ?   Take those Mcveigh tinted glasses off first though, they will cause you problems with your sight later in life.

I thoight picking Mcveigh was the one strange selection last night, especially after lambert had been going on in the press about how we need pace in the team. Martin should start on Saturday.

Absolutely correct!

Paul McVeigh is an absolute waste of space - Total rubbish.

His abject lack of quality and effort become more abundantly clear when on a pitch with 10 other players trying thier socks off.

Llambert is nearly there - Lets just lose the McVeigh!

The WLY chant should really be replaced with ''Where are you Paul McVeigh!''

I think we are being a bit harsh on WLY here. OK, it wasn''t his best game. I tihnk he was played because of his defensive abilities and ability to track back. Daley is very lightweight and Whaley aint here. I think Martin is probably a good shout to start on Saturday, but not sure of his Defensive cover for Spillane.

He was used for corners as he would use his right foot to have it swinging in towards the goal from teh left hand side. I think this is a fairly obvious point.

...and no one has yet mentioned fatigue or rest as being a possibility. We have a run of five games Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday so you might expect at least one or two players to be rested from time to time rather than necessarily being dropped. It looks to me like Daley was rested to be fresh to run at Bristol Rovers on Saturday afternoon, and Lambert managing the resources appropriately. We started with Hughes on the bench as well when he''s probably one of the players we''d prefer to start. Similarly Doherty was given a game whereas had it been Bristol Rovers he might not have got a look in. I think Lambert is using the depth of the squad appropriately.

[quote user="ref89"]I think thats really harsh and demonstrates you did not watch very closely.  McVeigh linked up a lot of the play in the first half and created two good chances.   Also you will have noted he went of 8 minutes after Orient went down to 10 men so hardly got the same room as Martin did, or actually Spillane as it was him who was on the right while Martin drifted central.

[quote user="Duffman"]Great result, great performance and 4 goals.   Perfect night.

However, all the good stuff came when Mcveigh left the field to be replaced by Chris Martin.

I don''t get why Mcveigh was on the pitch yesterday, when before the game Lambert was quoted as saying he needs to get some young pacey legs on the pitch.  You get the exact opposite with Mcveigh.  

I don''t want to seem negative but I was just frustrated by his performance and his corners!!! Why wasn''t Lappin taking them?   

Surely he will be dropped Saturday to be replaced by Martin in a 4-3-3.

Anybody disagree or agree ?
[/quote][/quote]

i watched very closely, McVeigh was lightweight, no pace and had a indifferent touch... surely its time to move on!!!

I actually thought Lappin was our weakest link last night. Didn''t start playing until near the end of the game when Orient were pretty much dead and buried.

Not playing anywhere near as well as when he first came back into the team.

I don''t think McVeigh had his best game either but I think he kept trying to make things happen.

McVeigh was by no means at his best, but he wasn''t a liability which is how some people seem to be wording their criticisms.He worked hard and tried to link play up as best as possible, and actually didn''t do such a bad job.We played Lappin and McVeigh, and that''s a lack of pace both flanks. I don''t think he looked any better or worse than Simon.For the record, i do not think his corners were awful either. If he''s been told to take corners, then there''s a reason for it. Was'' gorn on in trainin Neil?

[quote user="hogesar"]McVeigh was by no means at his best, but he wasn''t a liability which is how some people seem to be wording their criticisms.
He worked hard and tried to link play up as best as possible, and actually didn''t do such a bad job.
We played Lappin and McVeigh, and that''s a lack of pace both flanks. I don''t think he looked any better or worse than Simon.
For the record, i do not think his corners were awful either. If he''s been told to take corners, then there''s a reason for it. Was'' gorn on in trainin Neil?
[/quote]

Agreed, I think some are being a little harsh on WLY.