Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

STOP THE HOOLAHAN BASHING!!!!!

FFS this is getting stupid, what more does the lad have to do? if he was playing for the opposition you lot would all be wishing that we could have a player like him. Would you rather a player who never makes a mistake but creates nothing? hoolahan plays a higher risk game where he constantly puts himself forward to the plate thus making any slight mistake more noticeable but by doing this creates more then any other player. It is also very clear that the rest of the team feel more confident with him playing as hes always an option. You will never change the way hoolahan plays thats the nature of the beast.

love him or hate him the facts are clear we are a far better team with him in it, end of story. Now hoolahan has finaly got himself deservedly back into the norwich team can we please stop evaluating every breathe of air he takes in every game and start talking about other players who maybe should be scrutinised for their place in the team.

agreed ''bashing'' hoolahan is ridiculous....but Hoolahan fans are all the same, with there ''i told you so'' attitude which is getting tiresome.

We all knew he was a good player but its whether he can produce good form on a consistent basis, he must continue in the same vein then we can all start talking about him as an excellent player.

Also my stat man informs me it was Lambert that bought Hoolahan to British football when he signed him from Motherwell.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

FFS this is getting stupid, what more does the lad have to do?

[/quote]The answer is very simple, he needs to do less.

He tries to do too much when he doesn''t need to do too much. During the second half, scores still 0-0 and having controlled the ball very well, Holt started a run but he then took two or three more touches before playing him through. By this time Holt was offside and the chance has gone.

He needs to learn when to release the ball and when to be a little more direct. Technique wise he''s superb, but that doesn''t always win you games.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

agreed ''bashing'' hoolahan is ridiculous....but Hoolahan fans are all the same, with there ''i told you so'' attitude which is getting tiresome.

We all knew he was a good player but its whether he can produce good form on a consistent basis, he must continue in the same vein then we can all start talking about him as an excellent player.

Also my stat man informs me it was Lambert that bought Hoolahan to British football when he signed him from Motherwell.

[/quote]

It was the fact that Lambert consistently excluded Hoolahan from the squad and was supported by so many of the lifers on here that was so ridiculous and tiresome. The majority realised that Hoolahan is that little bit special and has that ability to turn games which few players possess. The posters who dared to point these facts out were rounded on by the ever presents on this MB, back slapping each other as they jeered and derided those that they didn''t agree with. So, I am not surprised that they have indulged in a bit of "I told you so".

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]STOP POSTING IN CAPITALS![/quote]

will you stop too??

[/quote]

You know you''ve hit a new low when "I am Banana" is telling you how to post. And..

[quote]Joined on 17/02/2009
IN THE FRUIT BOWL
Posts 1,968[/quote]

Bit of a hypocrite.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

He tries to do too much when he doesn''t need to do too much. During the second half, scores still 0-0 and having controlled the ball very well, Holt started a run but he then took two or three more touches before playing him through. By this time Holt was offside and the chance has gone.

He needs to learn when to release the ball and when to be a little more direct. Technique wise he''s superb, but that doesn''t always win you games.[/quote]

well at 27/28 he isnt going to learn anything new or change his game so why continue with these comments? do you agree we are a beter team with hoolahan starting?

Best player we''ve got by miles. He''s just so creative and tricky that you have to accept he will pi55 about a bit to much sometimes, and I for one don''t mind when he does if he plays like he has the last 3 or 4 games. Change his game and you''ll eliminate the only flare player we have.

Lincoln, that depends on whether Hughes is fit, becuase he is our other player that can change a game.  Both players are quality and deserve their place, but from the formations I have seen, Norwich are a better team with Hughes and two strikers, as he doesn''t want to play Hoolahan in the centre.  Last night was crying out for a second striker.  Thats why it took us so long to score.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

He needs to learn when to release the ball and when to be a little more direct. Technique wise he''s superb, but that doesn''t always win you games.[/quote]

well at 27/28 he isnt going to learn anything new or change his game so why continue with these comments? do you agree we are a beter team with hoolahan starting?

[/quote]I''m 28 and I''m constantly learning. If I didn''t continue to learn I wouldn''t be doing the job I''m doing now. It should be the same in football, the likes on Lambert, Culverhouse and Co. must surely be telling Wes that he needs to be a little more direct at times. Holt certainly gave him one hell of an ear bashing after the incident described above.

As for whether or not we''re a better team, we''re certainly a team with more spark and creativity when he plays, but I know he could be so so much better if he just changed his game to be a little more direct at times. I''m not saying turn into a complete hoofer, but he''s currently looking like the League One Ronaldo when he first arrived at Man Utd. Looks great, but little end product. If we could turn him into the League One Ronaldo of a couple of seasons ago then great, but I just don''t think he''s good the mindset to listen to people and will always continue to frustrate.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]I''m 28 and I''m constantly learning. If I didn''t continue to learn I wouldn''t be doing the job I''m doing now. It should be the same in football, the likes on Lambert, Culverhouse and Co. must surely be telling Wes that he needs to be a little more direct at times. Holt certainly gave him one hell of an ear bashing after the incident described above.

As for whether or not we''re a better team, we''re certainly a team with more spark and creativity when he plays, but I know he could be so so much better if he just changed his game to be a little more direct at times. I''m not saying turn into a complete hoofer, but he''s currently looking like the League One Ronaldo when he first arrived at Man Utd. Looks great, but little end product. If we could turn him into the League One Ronaldo of a couple of seasons ago then great, but I just don''t think he''s good the mindset to listen to people and will always continue to frustrate.[/quote]

aarrghh... yes or no would have done!  I give up i guess hoolahan will be knocked untill the day he leaves for a bigger things then the club will be slated for letting our "best player" go

[quote user="lincoln canary"]aarrghh... yes or no would have done!  I give up i guess hoolahan will be knocked untill the day he leaves for a bigger things then the club will be slated for letting our "best player" go[/quote]

I''d just leave it mate, its too boring for words now, arguing with people who want average players who don''t stand out. He''s back in the team and thats all we should care about.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]aarrghh... yes or no would have done!  I give up i guess hoolahan will be knocked untill the day he leaves for a bigger things then the club will be slated for letting our "best player" go[/quote]

I''d just leave it mate, its too boring for words now, arguing with people who want average players who don''t stand out. He''s back in the team and thats all we should care about.

[/quote]

Tell me about it. I know football is about opinions but to suggest not picking wes just seems like lunancy to me. But i guess some people have formed an opinion on him from last season and that opinion will never change. I just hope that if wes was to hear what opinion fans have on him, it would come from the half that rate him as one of if not the best player at the club.

Totally agree mate, thats why when 50% of the fams on a poll wanted him to go, i just kept shouting louder    lol

I bet after the last few games that percentage is much lower though.

Hoolahan isn''t fully appreciated by our fans - but at least there are some of us who see him for what he is : The most skilful and creative player in our team, possibly the league. So he should shoot more - but on Tuesday he realised this and tried and missed every time. Let him try and walk it in, because thankfully he has the ability to do that.

How difficult can it be?  Some of the drivel on the message board has reach a level that requires UN Weapons Inspectors to come and take a look at it, it really is that toxic.

The eagle eyed amongst may have noticed that for the first time in more years than we choose to remember there is a very accomplished and tactically adept management team who’s first priority was to sure the team up, let’s face it,  it needed it. 

This was admitted to by Lambert at the NCISA meeting a couple of weeks ago and as such they didn’t immediately see a place for Hoolahan, fair enough given the circumstances.

With the team looking far more cohesive the very same management team now sees fit to include Hoolahan who despite over playing and generally trying to beat himself (not like that) provides flair, creativity and generally takes two of the opposition with him.  Those of us who have watched the game for a bit know this to be a good thing.

Furthermore, the same accomplished and tactically adept management team have also done their best to provide a platform for Hoolahan to play, I suspect that’s because they also know he can take players with him, unlock defences and provide the creative spark needed to win a game so with Rusty, Smith, Lappin or Hughes we have just that, don’t we look the better for it?

Add to that a the ball being rolled out of defence and passing the ball up the pitch into feet and low and behold we start to get the best out of one of the most dangerous players in the league. Old farts such as me remember a certain member of our accomplished and tactically adept management team doing this regularly twenty or so years ago.

Lincoln - I can''t agree with you more.

I find some peoples'' lack of patience and understanding so frustrating.

Hoolahan is the only player we have that jinks with the ball, twists unexpectedly and can produce a killer pass. Every team, at any level, can afford one flair player ... especially one which works just as hard - if not harder than anyone else. The amount of times that he demands the ball and provides his team mates with options merits his place in the side alone.

As the game against Walsall proved - without Hoolahan we are predictable and easy to stifle. I would bet that he is the one player that opposing managers would chose to deselect if they had the chance.

Sadly, for some supporters, I think they will only recognise his influence and impact when he leaves for a higher level.