Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

To be blunt: We're a Wembley to lesser teams!

Thats not being disrespectful to other League 1 teams, or arrogant, but to play to a full house at Carow Road, with a great atmosphere is their Wembley to them.

Read their website forums before a game with them, we are a huge scalp to them, and just getting a point here is seen as a major kudos. Geraint Williams said as much last night.

Okay, Leeds, Charlton and Southampton fans would differ, but clubs will come here, pack their defence and HOPE for some reward.

And thats very hard to play against, so patience is the key.

This is the problem with being a big fish, everyone wants to catch you!

Agreed. I also don''t think there''s many fans of the other league 1 clubs out there that would argue with the fact that we have a great support and it''s one of the biggest and packed stadiums they''ll go to as fans of their clubs.

The only thing that concerns me (it''s not a major concern I''d add as not too fussed what other fans think of us) is that we give off the impression that we''re far too good for the likes of these teams. We''re down there for a reason and it is going to be a hard struggle to get out of this league because, as you said, we''re a big scalp to a lot of these clubs. I''m not really a fan of the "What''s it like to see a crowd?" chant because it does give off that air of arrogance that in all honesty we shouldn''t be having.

I was surprised and impressed by the number of Orient fans who turned up last night. It looked like well over a thousand people in my estimation - something like a quarter of their home gate I should think. As you say, Wiz, Carrow Road is possibly their Wembley.

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"]I was surprised and impressed by the number of Orient fans who turned up last night. It looked like well over a thousand people in my estimation - something like a quarter of their home gate I should think. As you say, Wiz, Carrow Road is possibly their Wembley.[/quote]

A good turnout then Pablo, but honestly, I wasn''t being arrogant guys.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I thought the rest of the world saw us as "little ole Norwich" Wiz![:^)][/quote]

Only under the cook Laps..............but there''s a new guy in town now!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="lappinitup"]I thought the rest of the world saw us as "little ole Norwich" Wiz![:^)][/quote]

[/quote]This is what I don''t get Wiz...........doesn''t he work for "the cook"?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]This is what I don''t get Wiz...........doesn''t he work for "the cook"?[/quote]

I think wiz is referring to Foulger who is buying out Delia "soon".

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Thought we were subdued in the crowd last night. Atmosphere needs to be better on saturday.[/quote]Agree with that, although we''ve been subdued for a long time.  To be fair Wiz, I think we all knew this was the situation this season.  Most teams, with the few at the top excluded, will come here and set their stall like Orient did last night and if they snatch the first goal will look to play out the rest of the game.  If we get the first goal in most of these games we will win more often than not.

The atmosphere is always going to be the best when you have two similiar sized clubs playing each other....When we play ''smaller'' clubs such as leyton orient last night of course they''re gonna make more noise as its a huge game for them (with no disrespect) it would be the same for us going to Man Utd or Arsenal and then claiming were much better fans after singing the whole game which I dare say we wouldn''t if we went away to Orient.Hence the atmosphere the atmosphere will be best against Charlton and Leeds

[quote user="domingo little oakley"]Hilarious.I''d love to win 7-1 at Wembley.[/quote]I see only 7100 there last night, against high flying Charlton, a much bigger club than yourselves, absolutely pathetic.

We were always little old Norwich, even in the Premiership, we were "little old Norwich" (or rather "plucky little Norwich", I used to remember) when we were topping it in ''92.

[quote user="Ex Norwich Resident"]"clubs will come here, pack their defence and HOPE for some reward"

7 goals was quite a reward for parking our bus in front of goal. We must do that again sometime.[/quote]Ever heard of a freak result?  We''ll get our revenge when we come to Cuckoo land.

Its a very very good point.Thats how 95 % of teams will play against us.This is no easy league, i mean look at the likes of leicester and leeds, ok leicester got out last season, but they have all found it massivly difficult to get out of. If we make the play offs this season we will have done well for the culture shock that is league one.Should we get promotion, it will be nothing short of spectacular.Lets hope we can get a confidence roll going like leeds and charlton this season have been on.They both dropped points in the last couple of games, lets hope we can close the gap a bit.

I wonder how much of it is "Big Norwich" and how much of it is the way League One teams play away from home.  Last season I only remember Doncaster Rovers trying to "park the bus", most other clubs, Charlton included, came and had a go.I''d like it if we made Carrow Road a more intimidating place to visit as an away player... there might be 24,000 of us but at times it must seem like there''s 20% of that number. 

[quote user="Ex Norwich Resident"]"clubs will come here, pack their defence and HOPE for some reward"

7 goals was quite a reward for parking our bus in front of goal. We must do that again sometime.[/quote]I think you had the Who''s "Magic Bus" on that particular day.  I still don''t think people appreciate that although we were completely crap, your team played a blinder.

Couldn`t agree more. I thought we were undone that day by a great manager who was very aware of his teams strengths and our teams frailties. Mark my words that manager will go onto much bigger and brighter things. Oh hang about it appears he has already!!! [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I wonder how much of it is "Big Norwich" and how much of it is the way League One teams play away from home.  Last season I only remember Doncaster Rovers trying to "park the bus", most other clubs, Charlton included, came and had a go.I''d like it if we made Carrow Road a more intimidating place to visit as an away player... there might be 24,000 of us but at times it must seem like there''s 20% of that number. [/quote]

What do you expect when over half the crowd at carrow road seem to be women, pensioners and children? Remember we are a family club, we don''t do intimidation or hostility.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I wonder how much of it is "Big Norwich" and how much of it is the way League One teams play away from home.  Last season I only remember Doncaster Rovers trying to "park the bus", most other clubs, Charlton included, came and had a go.

I''d like it if we made Carrow Road a more intimidating place to visit as an away player... there might be 24,000 of us but at times it must seem like there''s 20% of that number.

[/quote]

I think you are right Mr Chops.  I really don''t think anyone is overwhelmed with "coming to Wembley" (sorry to disappoint, Wiz) but many teams will do as O''s and Walsall did - come to defend and hope to nick something on a break.  This has been the game plan of O''s for quite a long time - other teams will come and try and give you a game but many will be happy with a draw.  Charlton came for three points at yours and they did at Colchester last night.  I expect Huddersfield and Bristol Rovers to do the same to both of us.

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"]I was surprised and impressed by the number of Orient fans who turned up last night. It looked like well over a thousand people in my estimation - something like a quarter of their home gate I should think. As you say, Wiz, Carrow Road is possibly their Wembley.[/quote]

they brought 560 a friend of mine works on ticket sales and thats the last figure she gave me  aroung 5 30 last night,  

the OP is spot on. when you play at places like gillingham and tranmere etc you realise what a attractive club / ground we are to come too!! also agree about how many orient were there last night.....i notice there was trouble again in the away section with the police involved...bloody cockneys!!

[quote user="Big Bob"][quote user="domingo little oakley"]Hilarious.I''d love to win 7-1 at Wembley.[/quote]I see only 7100 there last night, against high flying Charlton, a much bigger club than yourselves, absolutely pathetic.[/quote]How many would be an acceptable number in your view?

[quote user="domingo little oakley"][quote user="Big Bob"][quote user="domingo little oakley"]Hilarious.I''d love to win 7-1 at Wembley.[/quote]I see only 7100 there last night, against high flying Charlton, a much bigger club than yourselves, absolutely pathetic.[/quote]How many would be an acceptable number in your view?[/quote]A full house maybe???

Because it''s the mighty Charlton?7100 is more than our old "stadium" used to hold, so it doesn''t seem that disastrous to me. We are still finding out how many people we can get along to a bigger ground.We are aware of being a small club - it''s not news.In case it''s a concern - please be assured we will do you the courtesy of filling it up when we play Massive Club City.

[quote user="domingo little oakley"]Because it''s the mighty Charlton?

7100 is more than our old "stadium" used to hold, so it doesn''t seem that disastrous to me. We are still finding out how many people we can get along to a bigger ground.

We are aware of being a small club - it''s not news.

In case it''s a concern - please be assured we will do you the courtesy of filling it up when we play Massive Club City.
[/quote]

Thats all right then............make sure you do![;)]