Sign in to follow this  
Road to Nowhere

Impressed with Darel

I think we can all agree our recent performances have been very encouraging.

Some may put it down to Lambert''s influence, the Hoolahan/Holt axis or the energy the youth players have brought in and you could easily make a case for all. But in my opinion I believe Darel Russell has been a key factor.

He adds a calming influence to the middle of the park and has developed his ability to change the point of attack quickly. On Tuesday night, he came deep on numerous occasions to kick start us going forward and his work rate was tremendous.

I dont believe he gets the credit he deserves and although it is ridiculous to pick out one player to thank for our recent revival I dont think we are the same team without him. He has had his critics over the past 2 seasons for his temper and his desire to leave in the Summer (although whether this was a wage bill issue or whether he actually wanted to go i''m not sure) but hopefully he can keep this form going and help us get out of this league.

Well done Darel, keep up the good work.

Agreed.I have not been Russell''s biggest fan and have actually cited him as one of the reasons of our demise as he has been a part of a midfield thats battled relegation for 2 years now, ever since he''s been back here weve struggled. I just dont think he brings enough to the table. But he has played well this season and was excellent on Tuesday.In a 4-4-2 id still prefer Smith and Hughes but if your playing a 3 man midfield Russell, Smith and Hughes compliment each other well. Russell played well against Leyton, not convinced by Russell and Smith in midfield tho as this puts too much of the creative responsibility onto Hoolahan.For me its Russell and Hughes or Smith and Hughes or a 4-3-3.

Russell, for whatever reason, seems to thrive when playing alongside youth.  Maybe he relishes the elder statesman role in the squad or something.

Yes I think Russell has been the missing link we have been needing after the opening fixtures this season, he just gives us that physical edge we have been lacking in the middle of the park and wins the ball back time and time again. Can''t see him getting out of the team at the minute.