Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Hoolahan

Compare the Walsall game when Hoolahan did not play and ended frustratingly 0-0 with the Orient game, and surely a blind man can see what a major creative difference he makes. We would surely have beaten Walsall if Hoolahan had been in the team. Let''s give the man the credit that he deserves and pray that he does not leave in January !!

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]

Well done for showing you have no idea whatsoever about football.

Did the fact that the Leyton Orient defenders were torn to shreds by Hollahan not suggest to you that he was a good player. I admit he does need to pull the trigger a bit quicker sometimes, and is all left foot, but his biggest problem is he is a different class. He thinks so much quicker than the other players, and often looses the ball because other players are too slow to think or react.

On one occasion Tuesday night Hoolahan should have shot on his right, he then turned inside and should have shot on his left, but he layed it onto Lappin on a plate who somehow managed to hit it straight at the keeper from 10 yards out, missing an absolute sitter. It amused me that everyone then moaned about Hoolahan rather than the fact that Lappin had missed an absolute gift of an opportunity!

I would also like to mention that the bloke runs his socks off for Norwich. Unlike many other players he is always looking to recieve the ball, demanding it and trying to link the play. I think in a way he has too much of the ball, so people tend to focus too much attention on him.

[/quote]

Thank God someone else understands!

[quote user="Brendan"]Well think about it, how many chances did he create for him or other people in 90 mins supporting Holt? He created a good chance for Lappin, and a few shots from him, but to be fair, not that much.[/quote]

This is exactly the attitude that annoys me the most. It was his flick that made the space for Smith (?) to put Martin though for the first and his pass that set Drury free to cross for Holt. Why do people only consider the final pass as being worthy of an ''assist''?

[quote user="Brendan"]Well think about it, how many chances did he create for him or other people in 90 mins supporting Holt? He created a good chance for Lappin, and a few shots from him, but to be fair, not that much.[/quote]

This is exactly the attitude that annoys me the most. It was his flick that made the space for Smith (?) to put Martin though for the first and his pass that set Drury free to cross for Holt. Why do people only consider the final pass as being worthy of an ''assist''?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

Sorry [:$]

[/quote]

It was a good post even on the third reading Shack [:D] [Y]

[/quote]

Agreed! [Y]

He does do far more than people think. Not only does he link in the midfield and attack, he sees and uses the full backs. He also pulls opposition players out of position because they man mark him, creating holes for the likes of Smith to burst into. Also holds the ball when needed and draws the foul. He has done all of this on numerous occasions in recent games. Yes goals win games, but there is more the sport than simply putting it in the back of the net as anyone who has played the game will understand!!

Some people will just never be able to comprehend that he doesn''t play in the same way as Huckerby did.

Hoolahan is the only Norwich player who I can say with assured confidence is too good for this league, I fear that a Championship club could snap him up for a bargain price in January or ineed at the end of the season if we don''t get promoted.

I knew this was coming.  And I was just saying what I think, one footed, light weight, spends to long on the ball, final ball isn''t good enought a lot of the time, makes the wrong choices due to being one footed, dosn''t shoot enough and just to add his attitude as a person is terrible, hardly speaks, just mumbles and is so big headed, he thinks he is Mr Norwich City, stop me and stop Norwich.

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]

Well done for showing you have no idea whatsoever about football.

Did the fact that the Leyton Orient defenders were torn to shreds by Hollahan not suggest to you that he was a good player. I admit he does need to pull the trigger a bit quicker sometimes, and is all left foot, but his biggest problem is he is a different class. He thinks so much quicker than the other players, and often looses the ball because other players are too slow to think or react.

On one occasion Tuesday night Hoolahan should have shot on his right, he then turned inside and should have shot on his left, but he layed it onto Lappin on a plate who somehow managed to hit it straight at the keeper from 10 yards out, missing an absolute sitter. It amused me that everyone then moaned about Hoolahan rather than the fact that Lappin had missed an absolute gift of an opportunity!

I would also like to mention that the bloke runs his socks off for Norwich. Unlike many other players he is always looking to recieve the ball, demanding it and trying to link the play. I think in a way he has too much of the ball, so people tend to focus too much attention on him.

[/quote]

In my defence to this, I know my football (you will laugh but owell!), I never said he wasn''t a good player.  All I have said in the original post was that he is one footed and is really fustrating.  I also said that I think Martin should play instead as he can use both feet, shows more pace and is more direct and he works as equally hard.  And you cant'' say Hoolahan is direct, can use both feet and to be honest he isn''t really that quick.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]Hoolahan is the only Norwich player who I can say with assured confidence is too good for this league, I fear that a Championship club could snap him up for a bargain price in January or ineed at the end of the season if we don''t get promoted.[/quote]

I know he was good at Blackpool but he never eally hit it off with us in the Championship.

Despite all this he''s still our best player, shock horror, clearly you have a chip on shoulder with reguards to Hoolahan and it shows in your posts. You can find faults in any player if you really want to, but any Norwich fan with a half decent footballing brain will tell you that they would much rather have him in the team than not in the team.

[quote user="ncfc90"]saw on a leyton orient match report they put, hoolahan just tore us completely apart, which says it all really.[/quote]

It Does! :) He Was A Star Player On Tuesday, And Yes He Had Chances Which He Should Have Scored From, But In The Previous 3 Matches Or So Holt Has Missed Plenty Of Chances Too. So You Can''t Just Critise Hoolahan When You Think He "Wasn''t Good Enough Tonight!"

[quote user="Boyo"]

I knew this was coming.  And I was just saying what I think

[/quote]

Fair enough, that''s all any of us can do [:D]

[quote user="Boyo"]

One footed

[/quote]I don''t think anyone would disagree with that.[quote user="Boyo"]

Light weight

[/quote]For somebody of his stature I actually think he''s remarkably difficult to knock of the ball.[quote user="Boyo"]

Spends too long on the ball

[/quote]

When you look at the attitude some of our other players have to ball retention I don''t necessarily think this is a bad thing. Also at times there just isn''t enough movement from our front players and this, combined with a woeful lack of pace throughout the team, can cause the players in possession (not just Hoolahan) to look ponderous.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Final ball isn''t good enough a lot of the time

[/quote]

I haven''t got the stats to hand but I''d love to see how many completed passes he made on Tuesday night. I think it would blow this theory completely out of the water.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Makes the wrong choices due to being one footed

[/quote]Much less of an issue now he''s playing through the centre IMO.[quote user="Boyo"]

Just to to add his attitude as a person is terrible, hardly speaks, just mumbles and is so big headed, he thinks he is Mr Norwich City, stop me and stop Norwich.

[/quote]

Apocryphal [:|]

Sorry don''t know what ''Apocryphal'' means.  And cheers for being polite unlike most people.

[quote user="Boyo"] 1) Sorry don''t know what ''Apocryphal'' means.  2) And cheers for being polite unlike most people.[/quote]1) Spurious. Something you are unable to back up with any facts.2) No worries. You don''t rate him and I do. Nobody''s died [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Boyo"] 1) Sorry don''t know what ''Apocryphal'' means.  2) And cheers for being polite unlike most people.[/quote]1) Spurious. Something you are unable to back up with any facts.2) No worries. You don''t rate him and I do. Nobody''s died [:D][/quote]I think we had 18 shots on target against Orient, and less than a handful when we were playing Walsall. For all his "weaknesses" (and even the very best of the very best have something they need to work on), he is an absolute shoe-in for playing off the front man. Incidentally did you notice we only played with one striker for the last few games, and still generated far more chances than we have done all season? Hoolahan is not the perfect player, but if he was then he wouldn''t be with us.He is absolute class for this league and a must in the squad when playing the "weaker" teams. I would rather he takes risks/makes mistakes and generates a dozen chances a game than play the ball safety first like, perhaps, Fotheringham or similar.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Does anybody remember his right-footed goal last season?I seem to remember it being pretty damn slick.

[/quote]Also, I think he hit a decent shot with his right against Charlton, except a good block took it out for a corner.

Alot of the criticism is warranted and you can''t defend Hoolahoop all of it. BUT, for my money, he''s just sooooo good when he plays behind the strikers. He is genuinely at the centre or everything and is able to pull teams to pieces. Lambert said he was unplayable on tues night, perhaps you may disagree with this particular sentiment, but its not too far away from the truth. The Gills manager said almost the same about his performance on sat. I think alot of teams simply cannot cope with him when he''s cooking on gas!I don''t like him up front so much, anyone in the barclay on tues would have been tearing their hair out at his reluctance to shoot in the first half. I think at home we should play 2 strikers up front (not 1 and an attacking midfielder) and allow Hooligan to play behind. He was far more effective against Charlton when he dropped deeper towards the end of the game. Plus it wasn''t until we played 2 strikers up front on tues night that we broke the deadlock, and then we all know how it went! Clearly it means sacrificing some of the midfield and width, but for me that''s his best position and it yields goals. I don''t think we''ve been scoring enough hence the hard fought, last gasp draws that we''ve had to rely on to cheer us up. If he''s playing well and we put him there, he''s simply devastating.