Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Surely given Doherty the man of match was a mockery

I know there are fans that continue to rate Doherty, but for me he remains at best as a squad player.

Other than the first ten minutes or so we were never put under any pressure. Doherty really struggles with really pace and strength and he was never really put under any pressure.

The defence did there job today, but surely when a team wins 4-0 and dominates a game start to finish the MOM should go to a attacker. I think it is very unfair on Hoolahan and Holt to give the MOM to a defender.

I hope Doherty proves me wrong, but I can''t see us being solid at the back for a prolonged period with him back there.

Have to agree with you there Jim.  How quickly people forget that with Nelson/Askou we kept a clean sheet for 3 1/2 games.  Yes, Doc played well tonight but one swallow.............

I thought his game was significantly different last night.

He didn`t start cuddling til late on , his distribution was much better than of late, he didn`t miss a thing in the air.......but I agree that you would have thought an attacking player would have got the champagne on the back of a 4-0.

I think he got it on the basis that everyone was expecting the same old dross from Doc and he had (in all fairness) a decent game. I do however wonder how, time and time again, he gets away with his canoodling of players when the ball is coming over.

As I said, a decent game, didn''t feel anyone was outstanding yesterday as it was just a great team performance and feel Doc got it because he didn''t let us down.

It doesn''t really go with what you were saying about giving it to an attacking player but I thought it was going to go to Spillane or Smith. Apparently there was a stat that showed that young Korey covered more ground last night than any premiership player at the weekend. Not sure if that''s true or not though. Just what I heard.

[quote user="dreamteam"]

MOM awards are based on that one performance.

Last night he was as good as anyone.

No reason not to give it to him.

[/quote]

Lets be honest here, he''s a car crash waiting to happen.

I disagree with much of this, except that it was very much a team performance. Askou was unusually low-key, making Doherty''s contribution even more important. Doherty performs well when he keeps his concentration, which he did very well last night. If City are to push on to the play-offs or better, they need competition at all positions to keep that concentration and intensity, and CB is especially important in this regard. Askou has been the most consistent performer to date, though he has also made his share of mistakes, some of which conceded goals. Doherty and Nelson have been pretty even, IMO, but the competition will help them both. I would agree that both Spillane and Smith had cases for MoM, but don''t disagree with Doc getting it.

This ongoing denigration of City players is counterproductive, IMO, and detrimental to the Club''s success. City need every player performing if they are going to push for promotion.

Despite the fact he was marking Scowcroft and Jarvis (I would''ve fancied my chances to be fair) I think Doherty did fairly well.

The fact is Lambert has installed a fight for places in the team and every player who comes in from the dark wants to get their place back and keep it, something that hasn''t happened with previous managers.

Lambert seems to pick players based on their current form, rather than what they did good 2-3 weeks ago which is a refreshing change!  

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I know there are fans that continue to rate Doherty, but for me he remains at best as a squad player.

Other than the first ten minutes or so we were never put under any pressure. Doherty really struggles with really pace and strength and he was never really put under any pressure.

The defence did there job today, but surely when a team wins 4-0 and dominates a game start to finish the MOM should go to a attacker. I think it is very unfair on Hoolahan and Holt to give the MOM to a defender.

I hope Doherty proves me wrong, but I can''t see us being solid at the back for a prolonged period with him back there.[/quote]He still had a fair few long balls to deal with, and won pretty much everything in the air with zero fuss. What impressed me is that he was bringing the ball down, having a look and playing it along the ground. This really helped us keep the ball and build some patient attacks, rather than with Askou who seems to only be able to head it 20m up in the air, or play the ball 2 yards left to Drury.Let''s be completely honest here, he is still our best centre back - make of that what you will.

Doc didn''t put a foot wrong last night yet he''s still getting stick. I didnt think Askou had a great game and if that had been Doc you lot would be slaughtering him. Doc is a far better defender than Nelson will ever be and i hope Lambert comes to see it like that.

He was outstanding last night and showed that he''s still the best defender at the club. Whether people want to realise that or not.

This habit of grabbing forward player''s shirts, waists or whatever, in an attempt to impede their progress is fairly common in all but the very best centre halves, I would say. I certainly saw Askou do it more than once last night and I can remember the much-loved Malky Mackay doing it on a regular basis. Most times defenders get away with it, sometimes they don''t. By the strictest interpretation of the rules refs should never allow it.

I thought the Doc had a reasonable game last night, but I think when people such as Otsemobor or maybe Nelson are fully fit  the best he can expect is a seat on the bench.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I know there are fans that continue to rate Doherty, but for me he remains at best as a squad player. Other than the first ten minutes or so we were never put under any pressure. Doherty really struggles with really pace and strength and he was never really put under any pressure. The defence did there job today, but surely when a team wins 4-0 and dominates a game start to finish the MOM should go to a attacker. I think it is very unfair on Hoolahan and Holt to give the MOM to a defender. I hope Doherty proves me wrong, but I can''t see us being solid at the back for a prolonged period with him back there.[/quote]

Totally agree and without detracting from a solid performance by the CBs it wasn''t as if Scowcroft and Jarvis looked capable of pulling up trees last night.

Fair play to him if he had a good one last night but I really don''t enjoy watching him play. He''s nervous, panicky, slow, lacks strength, gets the wrong side and overcompensates, leaks fouls...... He''s earned some respect but he''s a squad player at best.

[quote user="Shaker"]Doc didn''t put a foot wrong last night yet he''s still getting stick. I didnt think Askou had a great game and if that had been Doc you lot would be slaughtering him. Doc is a far better defender than Nelson will ever be and i hope Lambert comes to see it like that.[/quote]Not entirely true is it. I remember Doc making two mistakes in the first 3 minutes but as soon as we settled down and got into the game he dealt with all he had to do.

100% wrong.Doherty had plenty to do from what i saw, and the reason Leyton were so completely ineffective in attack was down to Doherty, and Askou of course.Doc was solid, didnt make one mistake and his distribution was excellent, on many occasions driving forward to the half way line to pass. MOTM was deserved, altho i might have given it to Hoolahan or Russell.

Shock horror, he made a very minor error early on. Strange how no-one has commented on (for example) when Russell gave the ball away very cheaply in the second half when he passed the ball backwards straight to one of their players. Doesn''t detract from the fact he had a very good game though. But if we''re being totally fair (and picky) surely that has to be mentioned also.

I do wonder why out of all our players only Doherty and Hoolahan come under as much scrutiny as this when sloppy play and mistakes from other players sometimes get overlooked completely.

[quote user="dreamteam"]

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. It doesn''t matter if he has been awful in past games, or what he''ll be like in future games - his performance on Tuesday was excellent. 

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I know there are fans that continue to rate Doherty, but for me he remains at best as a squad player. Other than the first ten minutes or so we were never put under any pressure. Doherty really struggles with really pace and strength and he was never really put under any pressure. The defence did there job today, but surely when a team wins 4-0 and dominates a game start to finish the MOM should go to a attacker. I think it is very unfair on Hoolahan and Holt to give the MOM to a defender. I hope Doherty proves me wrong, but I can''t see us being solid at the back for a prolonged period with him back there.[/quote]

Totally agree and without detracting from a solid performance by the CBs it wasn''t as if Scowcroft and Jarvis looked capable of pulling up trees last night.

[/quote]

Neither did Pittman and Harold[:O] There was no clean sheet that day though................

[8] But now it''s solid...... Solid as The Doc...... Ginger Pele''s changed it... The defence is so hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot.....

[;)]

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"]

when people such as Otsemobor or maybe Nelson are fully fit  the best he can expect is a seat on the bench.

[/quote]

Hopefully Spillane will keep him out for the foreseeable future!

[quote user="dreamteam"]

[/quote]

Exactly.......................its what it is Man of the Match !