Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

BOB FRANKLIN NOT ON CANARY CALL

Just to clarify things for the confused minds on here - no, it wasn''t me on Canary Call. I have never phoned a call-in programme in my life. Mind you, good result by Gunn''s team, eh ! Seriously, I was delighted, ecstatic about today''s result and it''s time to move on. Well done city.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]I knew it was you!!![/quote]

Eh ? No, not me. I din''t listen to Canary Call so I cannot comment apart from saying that it was definitely not me. Wjat a fantastic conribution by Hoolahan. How on earth could "Lambo" have frozen him out (and Russell and Doherty) as I have repeatedly said over the last month or so ???? We would be comfortably in the play-off zone now had he not done so. Well at leats the master tacticial and man manager has learned the error of his ways and I''m relieved and delighted he listened to my advice.

Bob Franklin, can I ask who you are?

And why you think Gunn was such a great manager, and how we would probably be top with maximum points minus the 3 that we were cheated out of by Colchester?

I never said that Gunn was a great manager. However, he brought in players like Holt and Hughes etc etc etc etc and by contrast Lambert froze out (unbelievably) players like Hoolahan , Russell and, yes, Doherty. IMO that;s poor management. Time and time again i read idiots on here saying that Hoolahan was not that good, lifers like Beausant, Lord somebody or other etc etc. How stupid. Gunn should never have been sacked on the evidence of one game but it''s time to mone on and now that Lambert has now seen the error of his ways and brought Hoolahan, Russell and Dohert back into the fold and I will support him - even though Gunn was treated harshly. Remember : Gunn bought Holt, Hughes, brought back Cureton, gave youth platers their chance - Martin, Spillane, Smith, Adeyemi - so don''t be too quick to deride Gunn and heap praise on Lambert.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]I never said that Gunn was a great manager. However, he brought in players like Holt and Hughes etc etc etc etc and by contrast Lambert froze out (unbelievably) players like Hoolahan , Russell and, yes, Doherty. IMO that;s poor management. Time and time again i read idiots on here saying that Hoolahan was not that good, lifers like Beausant, Lord somebody or other etc etc. How stupid. Gunn should never have been sacked on the evidence of one game but it''s time to mone on and now that Lambert has now seen the error of his ways and brought Hoolahan, Russell and Dohert back into the fold and I will support him - even though Gunn was treated harshly. Remember : Gunn bought Holt, Hughes, brought back Cureton, gave youth platers their chance - Martin, Spillane, Smith, Adeyemi - so don''t be too quick to deride Gunn and heap praise on Lambert.[/quote]

Like you say, Bob, it''s time to move on.  There''s a lot gone on behind the scenes that we''ll probably never hear about.  Let''s just hope that a new more positive chapter in the history of the club is just starting.

Gunn also masterminded Charlton away last season, a spineless and pathetic performance that saw us relegated to the lowest point for 50 years. Got lucky with the occasional signing? Maybe, but his man-management, tactical and strategic decisions were inexcuseable, a cheap choice of manager made by a desperate boardroom trying to play on supporter''s sentimentality.Bob, Lambert dropped Docherty, made him doubt his Norwich future, now Doc''s playing his best football since...urm...forever. He dropped an arrogant and underperforming Hoolahan, suddenly Hooley is playing brilliantly. Likewise, Cureton has scored 2 in the last 2 games, remind me how many he scored under Gunn''s management?Face it Bob, you''re in your own dreamland, Gunn was a useless manager and was treated as such. His past playing career couldn''t save him from a dismal set of results, in contrast Lambert''s reign is getting points on the board, the boys are scoring for fun, and things are looking up.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]I never said that Gunn was a great manager. However, he brought in players like Holt and Hughes etc etc etc etc and by contrast Lambert froze out (unbelievably) players like Hoolahan , Russell and, yes, Doherty. IMO that;s poor management. Time and time again i read idiots on here saying that Hoolahan was not that good, lifers like Beausant, Lord somebody or other etc etc. How stupid. Gunn should never have been sacked on the evidence of one game but it''s time to mone on and now that Lambert has now seen the error of his ways and brought Hoolahan, Russell and Dohert back into the fold and I will support him - even though Gunn was treated harshly. Remember : Gunn bought Holt, Hughes, brought back Cureton, gave youth platers their chance - Martin, Spillane, Smith, Adeyemi - so don''t be too quick to deride Gunn and heap praise on Lambert.[/quote] Go on keep your wind up going.[;)], you''ve had a few takers who believe you were for real so why stop all of a sudden?

Wasn''t Hoollihan being disciplined for his spat with fans after the Colchester game ?  His current form suggests that Lamberts'' decision to leave him out has been vindicated.And I thought it was Gunn who had frozen out Russell.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]I never said that Gunn was a great manager. However, he brought in players like Holt and Hughes etc etc etc etc and by contrast Lambert froze out (unbelievably) players like Hoolahan , Russell and, yes, Doherty. IMO that;s poor management. [/quote]Well Melissa the evidence appears to suggest that ''freezing out'' these players and letting them know they are pulling on the shirt on a saturday for reasons other than habit was a very beneficial course of action for both players and the team. Even Jamie Cureton is making the most of his pitch time now and that to me is good management.

All right, I''m going to bite.

Surely, Bob, yesterday''s game must be evidence for you that Lambert is a decent manager. After a 4-0 win at home, he had the confidence to change the formation and the team. The way he set up the midfield yesterday, whether you call it a diamond or a three-man midfield with Hoolahan free in the hole, worked superbly, and gave us so many attacking options, with Martin rewarded for his excellent goal on Tuesday night. It''s that sort of thing that earns your money as a manager. He did the same at MK Dons, and it was working similarly well until injury ruined his pre-match plans. He''s a shrewd cookie.

Of Gunn''s summer signings, only Askou and Holt were in the team yesterday. Those two and Hughes were clearly good purchases. I don''t need to list the failures, do I?

As for the freezing out, I think we can all agree that we don''t know the reasons why those players were left out. My hunch is that Russell was angling for a move, Hoolahan was being disciplined for the fracas against Colchester and that Doherty was deemed to be rubbish. Fair play to Lambert for getting all three of these players playing again, in stark contrast to Gunn sidelining Fotheringham and Pattison towards the end of last season, when both could have played a part in fighting relegation (especially Pattison).

Finally, a team that shipped seven on the first day of the season, and couldn''t beat Exeter or Brentford, has only conceded one goal in open play since the 5-2 win over Wycombe.

The manner of Gunn''s removal was ugly and left a nasty taste in the mouth, for sure. But the real mistake was keeping him on in the summer, and with every passing game, McNally''s decision, callous and cold though it was, seems more and more right.

There''s nothing wrong with admitting you got it wrong, Bob.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

All right, I''m going to bite.

Surely, Bob, yesterday''s game must be evidence for you that Lambert is a decent manager. After a 4-0 win at home, he had the confidence to change the formation and the team. The way he set up the midfield yesterday, whether you call it a diamond or a three-man midfield with Hoolahan free in the hole, worked superbly, and gave us so many attacking options, with Martin rewarded for his excellent goal on Tuesday night. It''s that sort of thing that earns your money as a manager. He did the same at MK Dons, and it was working similarly well until injury ruined his pre-match plans. He''s a shrewd cookie.

Of Gunn''s summer signings, only Askou and Holt were in the team yesterday. Those two and Hughes were clearly good purchases. I don''t need to list the failures, do I?

As for the freezing out, I think we can all agree that we don''t know the reasons why those players were left out. My hunch is that Russell was angling for a move, Hoolahan was being disciplined for the fracas against Colchester and that Doherty was deemed to be rubbish. Fair play to Lambert for getting all three of these players playing again, in stark contrast to Gunn sidelining Fotheringham and Pattison towards the end of last season, when both could have played a part in fighting relegation (especially Pattison).

Finally, a team that shipped seven on the first day of the season, and couldn''t beat Exeter or Brentford, has only conceded one goal in open play since the 5-2 win over Wycombe.

The manner of Gunn''s removal was ugly and left a nasty taste in the mouth, for sure. But the real mistake was keeping him on in the summer, and with every passing game, McNally''s decision, callous and cold though it was, seems more and more right.

There''s nothing wrong with admitting you got it wrong, Bob.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on !!