Sign in to follow this  
Tony DaWonderful

Player Ratings!?!

Did not get to the game.........rate the team someone..

That''s what I was hoping to find here too.  There is one on the game cite done by whoever was sending the play-by-play, but one done some time after the game with time to digest what happened is likely more accurate.

Rudd - 7. Hardly had anything to do... could of wandered round Morrisons and come back and it wouldnt of made a difference

Spillane 7 did what he does very well.. went off with what i suspect is a torn hamstring.

Drury - 7 got forward well and tackled well at the back, League 1 really is his level and he looks good here!

ASkou 8 apart from giving away the penalty he won everything in the air

Doc 8, Best game for us for a long time, his passing from the back was excellent! not a hoof in sight!

Hoolahan - 8 did well, scored a goal and caused problems, think he tired in the last 20 minutes though

Lappin 6 - didnt really get involved in the game much at all apart from setting Holt up for 1 of his goals.

Rusty 7- now seems to not be permanently angry! showed he can be a decent player and passed the ball well.

Smith -8 ran the midfield today and when he went to Right back after Spillanes injury he had the winger in his pocket, looked handy at that position.

Holt 9- 2 great goals and ran all day, we defend from the front and Holt is a huge part of this! his first touch is good which means we keep the ball!

Martin - 9 worked really hard today, cracking free kick and could of had a couple more himself. Although Holt got 2 goals for his sheer effort Martin was MOM for me.

subs

Mcveigh - 6

Hughes - 6

Cureton - 7

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Rudd - 7. Hardly had anything to do... could of wandered round Morrisons and come back and it wouldnt of made a difference Spillane 7 did what he does very well.. went off with what i suspect is a torn hamstring. Drury - 7 got forward well and tackled well at the back, League 1 really is his level and he looks good here! ASkou 8 apart from giving away the penalty he won everything in the air Doc 8, Best game for us for a long time, his passing from the back was excellent! not a hoof in sight! Hoolahan - 8 did well, scored a goal and caused problems, think he tired in the last 20 minutes though Lappin 6 - didnt really get involved in the game much at all apart from setting Holt up for 1 of his goals. Rusty 7- now seems to not be permanently angry! showed he can be a decent player and passed the ball well. Smith -8 ran the midfield today and when he went to Right back after Spillanes injury he had the winger in his pocket, looked handy at that position. Holt 9- 2 great goals and ran all day, we defend from the front and Holt is a huge part of this! his first touch is good which means we keep the ball! Martin - 9 worked really hard today, cracking free kick and could of had a couple more himself. Although Holt got 2 goals for his sheer effort Martin was MOM for me. subs Mcveigh - 6 Hughes - 6 Cureton - 7[/quote]

Thanx for the ratings [Y]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Rudd - 7. Hardly had anything to do... could of wandered round Morrisons and come back and it wouldnt of made a difference Spillane 7 did what he does very well.. went off with what i suspect is a torn hamstring. Drury - 7 got forward well and tackled well at the back, League 1 really is his level and he looks good here! ASkou 8 apart from giving away the penalty he won everything in the air Doc 8, Best game for us for a long time, his passing from the back was excellent! not a hoof in sight! Hoolahan - 8 did well, scored a goal and caused problems, think he tired in the last 20 minutes though Lappin 6 - didnt really get involved in the game much at all apart from setting Holt up for 1 of his goals. Rusty 7- now seems to not be permanently angry! showed he can be a decent player and passed the ball well. Smith -8 ran the midfield today and when he went to Right back after Spillanes injury he had the winger in his pocket, looked handy at that position. Holt 9- 2 great goals and ran all day, we defend from the front and Holt is a huge part of this! his first touch is good which means we keep the ball! Martin - 9 worked really hard today, cracking free kick and could of had a couple more himself. Although Holt got 2 goals for his sheer effort Martin was MOM for me. subs Mcveigh - 6 Hughes - 6 Cureton - 7[/quote]

Thanx for the ratings [Y]

Rudd 6 - Not much to do really but what he had to do he did well.Spillane 7 - Starting to look like a full back rather than a centre back playing out of position. Got forward well and supported the attackers. Sadly he might end up missing a few weks with hamstring knack.Drury 7 - Looks like the Drury of five or six years ago. Solid at the back and lends his support to the attack only when confident he has over.Askou 6 - Defensively sound (penalty notwithstanding) but it would be nice if he occasionaly put his foot on the ball rather than hoofing it as far as he can. I suspect I''m one of the very few who is not entirely convinced by him.Doc 7 - Continued his good form from Tuesday. Looked solid and passed the bal out of defence well on occasions.Lappin 7 - Played in a more central role than usual and linked up really well with the front three.Smith 8 - Excellent in CM almost as good at right back. If this kid doesn''t go on to play in the top flight one day then I''ll run naked through Chapelfield shopping centre. Always seems to be in the right place to cut out the opposition final ball and when he gets it uses it very economically. Every inch the modern day central midfielder.Russell 6 - Tackled well, closed the opposition down quickly and didn''t ever look like losing his head. If he can accept that this is his role in the team rather than letting his ego get the better of him then he could still be a key player for us.Hoolahan 8 - A joy to watch. Reminds me of a lesser version of one of those Victorian chimney sweep type players that Arsene Wenger continues to insist on signing. Never turns his back on the ball, always wants it and is starting to create things for us. Also put in a lot of hard work in the second half when things were not going quite as well for us. Would have been my MOM if not for........Martin 9 (MOM) - Tore Rovers to shreds in the first half with his movement and direct running. Linked up fantastically well with Lappin, Holt and Hoolahan during that period and always seemed likely to be the one out of those four who would take the move up a gear. Free kick was top quality and also had a goal disallowed. Playing as a wide attacker rather than an orthodox centre forward really seems to suit him as he gets to run with the ball more often than having his back to goal. This willl undoubtebly prove unpopular but I think Glenn Roider''s decision to send him out on loan to Luton last year may well be the making of him.Holt 8 - Works his socks off and took both his goals very well. Does everything you expect of him and if we keep creating the number of chances we are at the moment I''d be amazed if he fails to net twenty league goals.Subs - Hughes 6, Mcveigh 5 & Cureton 6

Rudd - 7 Only second game but looked mature and confident. Had very little to do.

Spillane - 8 Pity about the injury. Very quick into the tackle and looked assured on the ball. His height is useful asset to defence.

Drury - 7 Back to his steady self. Got forward well.

Askou- 7 Very strong in the air - keeps tight on opposing strikers. Not so sure how he would cope with nippy forwards who kept ball on the ground.

Docherty - 7 Usual steady performance. Gives away too many unnecesary fouls.

Smith - 8 This lad is a real footballer with great potential. If the big clubs had any sense they would buy him now (but I hope not) Compared with a lot of premiership dross is probably worth £2-3 million now.

Russell - 7 Had acres of space. Kept midfield ticking over - could have been a bit more penetrative in his passing.

Lappin - 6 Kept feeding Hoolahon well. But one of his quieter games.

Hoolahan - 9 This looks his best position because the way he plays he will always lose possession but in a central role this should not cause problems. Instrumental in most of the attacking moves and Rovers simply could not handle him. MOM

Holt - 9 Just for effort. Leads by example.Held up ball well and ran himself into the ground. Two well taken goals.

Martin - 6 Superbly struck free kick. This should have given him a lot of confidence but was not much in the game thereafter. A lot of attacks broke down with his poor passing. Surprised someone gave him a 9

Overall a great performance. Rovers have made a good start to the season but we made them look very poor. On current form we certainly have a chance of going up.

Rudd - 7, only beaten by a very good penalty, made 1 or 2 decent saves and looked assured.

Spillane - 7, looked a bit shakey with no real width in front of him but got forward and is a very tidy footballer.

Doherty - 8, looks very solid and composed, read the game superbly and his distribution was superb.

Askou - 7, looks to be forming a formidable partnership with the doc, they win everything aerially and seem 3 steps ahead of the strikers at all times.

Drury - 7, as usual the right winger got nothing out of him and he got forward and put some good crosses in from the byline.

Russell - 8, Showed his experience holding in front of the defence opposed to the more attacking role he was given in previous seasons, just broke up play, brought the ball down and just moved it on simply.

Smith - 8, great energy once again, had to cover a lot of ground on the right of the diamond, looked nervy at right back in the 2nd half though.

Lappin - 8, best game for a while, not the quickest but he is very neat and tidy whilst getting through a lot of work.

Hoolahan - 8, frustrating at times but he makes us tick with absolutely everything good going through him, many criticise him for keeping the ball too long but he rarely gives it away needlessly.

Holt - 9, a real cult hero, not seen anybody run the line as well as Holty since Iwan, the BR centre backs certainly had a battle on today and lost.

Martin - 8, has an arrogance about him, i''m sure everybody thought Lappin would take the FK but Martin just stepped up and curled it in from 25 yards, his all round game was superb, ran hard and gave the defenders a torrid time with his good feet and footballing brain.

McVeigh - 6, the game had died down when he came on but the balance just wasn''t there after he entered the fray, not the player of 4/5 years ago which we loved.

Hughes - 7, we seemed to hit our straps a bit more once he came on, stroked the ball around and nearly got on the scoresheet.

Cureton - 7, can''t really do much more than score in his brief appearance

Rudd - again not a lot to do, got lost on a couple of crosses. Kicks the ball well, possibly a bit too well sometimes.

Spillane - definitely a better rightback than a centreback. Starting to look the part a bit more now. More of a competitor than Semmy but will clearly struggle with pace.

Doc - another top performance

Askou - as I''ve said before I like this guy, he competes. He doesn''t always win everything at the first attempt but he goes again without hesitation.

Drury - looking better all the time, the run of games has really done him good. Getting forward well, pity Martin failed to convert his beauty of a cross.

Smith - you just can''t fault the guy. He has a great mix of hard work, sensible play but prepared to push forward.

Rusty - another good performance from him. Shows his strength and experience in the middle of the park. You''ll always get the odd bad pass from him but he looks like he could play a big part for us.

Lappin - better than Tuesday night but still not quite playing like he was when he came back into the team.

Hoolahan - ran the game, is there anyone better with the ball at their feet in this league??? Superb

Holt - we all know what this guy is about and he showed it again today. Honest, hard working and he can score goals.

Martin - great start but then downhill from then on. Not horrendously bad or anything at all but some of his finishing and touches were a bit casual/complacent (to put it nicely). E.g. when he missed that header and also when Korey ran the ball three quarters of the pitch only to get back an awful lay-off from Martin.

Hughes - knocked the ball around well, good effort at goal. Nice to be able to bring on a player of that quality.

McVeigh - kept organising the lads which is always something he''s done well.

Cureton - took his goal well, can''t ask for more. We know he''s not good enough to be relied on to score goals that change games but we''ll all be happy to see him stick away goals like this.

Solid at the back,  a sound midfield with energy and passing and superb movement up front - its 5 years since we have seen a full city team perform like this against a Rovers team that was full of confidence and pace (I thought doc and Askou were meant to be torn to shreads against pace??? It did not happen today) and despite scoreline are probably the best team we have faced so far in league one. Reasons to be cheerful,  and in a v nice 7th position. 4-3-3 for me - not 4-1-2-1-2 diamond - today was excellent,  with the front three complimenting each other superbly moving across the width of the pitch and totally bamboozling the rovers defence. And so mice to have some real choice on the bench

Rudd  - 7 A good game;  a crucial save down low to his right when the game was 1-0 or 1-1 meant we stayed ahead,  looked comfortable and justified his selection.

Spillane 7 - At last,  a full back who can defend AND get forward,  good play lead to the corner for the second goal and starting to shows us what defending is about for a right back.  Really hope the injury is not serious as he was looking the part

Doc 7 Solid,  against 2 pacey forwards never looked flustered or out of control.  Played well

Askou 6 Solid yet shaky - highlighted by the penalty (he was holding his shirt thats what the ref saw and so was a soft penalty but was easily turned in a dangerous position) and the attempted hoofed clearance that hit himself sqaure in the face - funny but poor.  However is building a good partnership with the doc.

Drury 7 Not get forward as much as he did against charlton say but has put in more hard tackles in the last couple of games than he has for a couple of seasons and we look a better side for it

Russell 7 - solid if uninspirational,  sat deepest of the midfield and did a quiet job effectively

Smith 8 - My MOTM, just - because he performed well for 90 mins in two positions.  Gave us energy and pace and a desire to win the ball.  The midfield was much weaker when he was moved back,  but the defence was not.  Excellent

Lappin 6 Worked hard and gave us a solid platform for the flairful front three (free?) forwards - passing and set pieces have gone off the ball though

Holt 8 -  Worked himself into the ground and took both goals well,  was keen for a quick hat trick,  and had he headed for goal rather than back across for martin to head over may have had just that. 

Hoolahan 8 - A key feature was his eagerness to work back and defend.  His movement was excellent and his assist for the 5th summed up his play all day - creative and problematic for them and not use - nearly MOTM for me.

Martin 7 - COuld have had 4 today if he could head the ball.  Looked so dangerous in the first half and had that carried threat through for a full 90 mins then could have been MOTM, but to be honest it was not really needed.  There was some evidence of laziness in the second half and should learn from Hoolahan in working back but took his goals well and complimented his strike partners so well that the three of them will be a handful for ANY side we face this season if they can can repeat this performance 

Subs

Hughes 7 Slotted seamlessly into the midfield and means we have competition for places at last :-) Nearly scored, got forward better than Russell and used the ball in a more attcking way.

WLY   6 Again came in well for Spillane but did weaken the side.  Not do much wrong but nor add much;  some smart fouls showed his experience - one on the edge of their box to stop a quick break with Korey ahead of him was excellent !

Cureton 6 Took goal with either a nice finish or a near miss depending on your view.  NOt sure what else he contributed but game was dead by then so cant criticise at all and two goals in two is a good return.  Would he have scored if we were a goal behind or level in these games instead of 3 up?  We will never know - but this can only boost his confidence.

I disagree slightly with some ratings, Rudd made two good saves, but had nothing else to do.

Martin however missed two sitters imo, but in the end it didnt matter at all.

I agree with Jas'' ratings, other than I''d give Drury 8 rather than 7. Otherwise agree with most comments on here.Isn''t it nice to go to Carrow Road and actually enjoy watching the football?

I thought Russell was excellent yesterday in the deepest of the midfield roles. He looked like a mature, experienced footballer, rather than the hotheaded liability we have seen in the last few years. Martin was awesome in the first half hour and is going to be a real asset for us this season. Hoolahan ran everything, and Holt was simply superb, all you could ask for from a centre forward at this level.

But the star of the show was Lambert, who set the team up perfectly, changing the formation from Tuesday night to excellent effect and masterminding the destruction of what we must assume is a pretty good side. Managers get all the stick when things go wrong - he deserves all credit for yesterday.

I admit I am getting a little carried away, but, after years of chaos, recrimination and incompetence, it''s such a pleasure to see a well-managed team playing to its full potential.

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Some of these ratings are bizarre. Declan Rudd could not have played better yesterday and yet gets a 6 from some people...[/quote]

Disagree - he looked shaky on crosses, particularly in the first half when Rovers had 10 minutes on top and could have scored two or three, and didn''t dominate his area at all. 6 is accurate - he made one very sharp save at 0-0 and another at his near post in the second half. Good kicking too.

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Some of these ratings are bizarre. Declan Rudd could not have played better yesterday and yet gets a 6 from some people...[/quote]

Disagree - he looked shaky on crosses, particularly in the first half when Rovers had 10 minutes on top and could have scored two or three, and didn''t dominate his area at all. 6 is accurate - he made one very sharp save at 0-0 and another at his near post in the second half. Good kicking too.

[/quote]Won''t come across a team playing with Rovers tactics to often though.Apparently they had him closely marked by something like 3 players in set pieces, giving him almost no room to come and collect or divert the ball away, that by the sounds of it would of had any experienced keeper struggling.