Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Confidence

For the first time for many seasons we seem to be approaching matches with well founded confidence.

We have a shape and a formation that matches our playing staff.

I think that it is no coincidence that our defence has improved under Culverhouses training, positioning looks better and players like Spillane and the Doc look at a different level from the past.

Then we have Crook putting some excellent work into our midfiled players, we are passing the ball faster and more accurately than for many seasons. Players like Smith are thriving under their guidance.

In overall charge is an astute man manager and tactician,Lambert, who seems able to bring the work of  Culverhouse and Crook to the match day table and have the team wanting to play and win.

I now listen to pre and after match interviews with Lambert with interest and now he has settled in, the underlying humour of the man is coming through.

There are still things going on at board level that will help change even further our club for the better.

In the meantime I for one am very pleased with what has happened since McNally and Lambert have arrived.

I just wish Lambert would speak louder as I have difficulty in making out his quiet scottish accent. Of course I could always get my hearing tested ! [;)]

[quote user="The Butler"]

For the first time for many seasons we seem to be approaching matches with well founded confidence.

I think that it is no coincidence that our defence has improved under Culverhouses training, positioning looks better and players like Spillane and the Doc look at a different level from the past.

Then we have Crook putting some excellent work into our midfiled players, we are passing the ball faster and more accurately than for many seasons. Players like Smith are thriving under their guidance.

In overall charge is an astute man manager and tactician,Lambert, who seems able to bring the work of  Culverhouse and Crook to the match day table and have the team wanting to play and win.

I now listen to pre and after match interviews with Lambert with interest and now he has settled in, the underlying humour of the man is coming through.

There are still things going on at board level that will help change even further our club for the better.

In the meantime I for one am very pleased with what has happened since McNally and Lambert have arrived.

[/quote]

Spot on Butler.

I have felt for many seasons that we have had the personnel to do well, but we have lacked a good coach/man manager, and therefore under-performed big time. It is wonderful to see the team play as a unit, not give up on lost causes on the pitch and stroke the ball about so comfortably.

[/quote]

I am now feeling more hopeful than since we got promoted, the crucial thing for me is finding a new owner with a bit more cash so we can not only get out of this league but push for the prem again. As things stand at the moment we have probably got enough about us to get out of this division but without new money we will struggle again in the Chumpionship.

got the right formation too.by having a 4 man midfield and hoolahan ahead of it, it means that when defending we still have 2 lines of 4 and we can allow for hoolahans wandering around the pitch. It also means attackingly we can have 2 wingers up, have 2 centre mids holding back and hoolahan playing off of holt for knockdowns etc.

I mirror those thoughts Butler.

Not only has he instilled confidence in the team but equally as important he has instilled it into the supporters.

I now feel much more upbeat about our prospects than I have for many a long month. My only fear is that the financial situation may force his hand in the next transfer window.

It could have been so different. We squandered chances (again) and so did Rovers. If they had taken one or two of their first half chances, we could have been on level terms at half time. Then what.....I think that we always had enough to win, but given the difficulty we had against Walsall and Orient for 75 minutes, it could have been close if  Rovers had accepted the chances.It was a great win - 10 goals in eight days, and seven point out of nine, but we have to become even meaner in defence!

[quote user="Salopian"]It could have been so different. We squandered chances (again) and so did Rovers. If they had taken one or two of their first half chances, we could have been on level terms at half time. Then what.....

I think that we always had enough to win, but given the difficulty we had against Walsall and Orient for 75 minutes, it could have been close if  Rovers had accepted the chances.

It was a great win - 10 goals in eight days, and seven point out of nine, but we have to become even meaner in defence!

[/quote]

I know what you''re saying but think you''re being a little harsh.  In football you sometimes don''t get what you deserve and Bristol getting something wouldn''t have been deserved.  Our defence still has a bit of work to do but would you really have wanted to swap with their''s?!  Their manager pretty much said after the game that they were well beaten by a quality team.  At long last we seem to be making progress under a manager and coaches who have a bit of nouse with a team that is starting to play together as a team.  After the past couple of years things seem to be moving in the right direction.

Salopian, yes we did slow down our efforts in the second half, which may have explained in part Rovers'' chances, but to criticise the team too much IMO is nit picking. What I have seen is a steady progress since Lambert took over, and over the past four games a real improvement in attitude, skill levels and how they are playing as a team.

KD is right, what we really need is an injection of cash, to sustain the push for promotion and ensure we don''t have to sell anyone in January.

We are far from the finished article but look like improving with every game. I will take that, considering where we were heading under Gunn. The whole team (the same players by and large) look completely different. Like many others I am encouraged to think we have more than a fighting chance of promotion, with two slight worries, that key players are not sold in January and we can keep the nucleus of the team fit.

[/quote]

And what pray are these Butler?

Or are they a big secret?

OTBC

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]I just wish Lambert would speak louder as I have difficulty in making out his quiet scottish accent. Of course I could always get my hearing tested ! [;)][/quote]

Your not the only one, i struggle to make out what he''s saying.

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[quote user="Salopian"]It could have been so different. We squandered chances (again) and so did Rovers. If they had taken one or two of their first half chances, we could have been on level terms at half time. Then what.....

I think that we always had enough to win, but given the difficulty we had against Walsall and Orient for 75 minutes, it could have been close if  Rovers had accepted the chances.

It was a great win - 10 goals in eight days, and seven point out of nine, but we have to become even meaner in defence!

[/quote]

I know what you''re saying but think you''re being a little harsh.  In football you sometimes don''t get what you deserve and Bristol getting something wouldn''t have been deserved.  Our defence still has a bit of work to do but would you really have wanted to swap with their''s?!  Their manager pretty much said after the game that they were well beaten by a quality team.  At long last we seem to be making progress under a manager and coaches who have a bit of nouse with a team that is starting to play together as a team.  After the past couple of years things seem to be moving in the right direction.

[/quote]

Such sage observations need to be recognized.  Yes indeed, sometimes you don''t get what you deserve. Well put, Dronny. Are you a Ph.D in the human condition, perhaps? Your ability to state the obvious really added to this thread.

[quote user="Tookie140"]

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]I just wish Lambert would speak louder as I have difficulty in making out his quiet scottish accent. Of course I could always get my hearing tested ! [;)][/quote]

Your not the only one, i struggle to make out what he''s saying.

[/quote]

What a relief, I''ll cancel my appointment then [:)]