Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Atmosphere much improved

Amazing what a few good results and performances can do for the atmosphere at Carrow Road, still a lack of variety in the chants but it''s great having a positive and noisy Carrow Road again.

Just found these comments on a Bristol Rovers forum;

"First of all, the Norwich City''s first chant from behind the goal made me jump, I have never ever heard a home side against the Rovers make so much noise as today, its was frightening at full pelt."

"their fans were very impressive"

"Also agree, the atmosphere Norwich fans generated today was incredible...we never had a chance of out singing that lot today!!! Deafening noise!!!"

If this carries on, opposition teams and fans aren''t going to enjoy their long trips here

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Amazing what a few good results and performances can do for the atmosphere at Carrow Road, still a lack of variety in the chants but it''s great having a positive and noisy Carrow Road again.

"First of all, the Norwich City''s first chant from behind the goal made me jump, I have never ever heard a home side against the Rovers make so much noise as today, its was frightening at full pelt."

"Also agree, the atmosphere Norwich fans generated today was incredible...we never had a chance of out singing that lot today!!! Deafening noise!!!"

If this carries on, opposition teams and fans aren''t going to enjoy their long trips here[/quote]Wow, that''s awesome. Makes me feel proud. [:)]

[quote user="Sam-NCFC"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Amazing what a few good results and performances can do for the atmosphere at Carrow Road, still a lack of variety in the chants but it''s great having a positive and noisy Carrow Road again. Just found these comments on a Bristol Rovers forum; "First of all, the Norwich City''s first chant from behind the goal made me jump, I have never ever heard a home side against the Rovers make so much noise as today, its was frightening at full pelt." "their fans were very impressive" "Also agree, the atmosphere Norwich fans generated today was incredible...we never had a chance of out singing that lot today!!! Deafening noise!!!" If this carries on, opposition teams and fans aren''t going to enjoy their long trips here[/quote]

Wow, that''s awesome. Makes me feel proud. [:)]
[/quote]

what site was that on?

Another fan on their forum said : "The worst thing of the whole day is that they play music when they

score. Why the hell do teams bother? They were probably the loudest

fans I have heard for years so why they do this is beyond me."

Not been funny though the reason they thought we were noisy today was proberly the fact they have never seen a crowed 24,000+ before anything over 7000 for them will be noisy for them.

[quote user="North-East-canarie"]Not been funny though the reason they thought we were noisy today was proberly the fact they have never seen a crowed 24,000+ before anything over 7000 for them will be noisy for them.[/quote]

They have been to Leeds for the last couple of years and I''m sure they have played some of the other bigger clubs that have been in league 1 in recent years.

[quote user="Big Bad John"]Another fan on their forum said :

"The worst thing of the whole day is that they play music when they score. Why the hell do teams bother? They were probably the loudest fans I have heard for years so why they do this is beyond me."[/quote]

I have to agree with him on that goal music, much rather hear the roar of the crowd than have to listen to that rubbish

I thought the rovers fans where out singing the barclay for a lot of the game to be honest. "4-1 and you still don''t sing." etc. I was impressed with their turnout. But yeah, atmosphere was bang on yesterday - I''m still buzzing !

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Amazing what a few good results and performances can do for the atmosphere at Carrow Road, still a lack of variety in the chants but it''s great having a positive and noisy Carrow Road again.

If this carries on, opposition teams and fans aren''t going to enjoy their long trips here[/quote]Did you actually go to the game or are you just getting this from the Rovers website?

Watching The Highlights On T.V, The Roars From When We Scored Were Very Very Impressive, :) And Once Again A Packed Stadium. The Opposition''s Fans Should Be Scared! [;)]

It''s always good seeing the highlights on tv where our ground is full.

Contrast that with the Preston v WBA game highlights last night - Deepdale was less than half full for team fighting for promotion to the Premiership.

[quote user="DON LYCRA"]I thought the rovers fans where out singing the barclay for a lot of the game to be honest. "4-1 and you still don''t sing." etc. I was impressed with their turnout. But yeah, atmosphere was bang on yesterday - I''m still buzzing ![/quote]

I thought the Rovers fans were very quiet which was understandable, heard a couple of choruses of  Goodnight Irene and that was about it. From where I was in the lower Barclay behind the goal the Rovers fans didn''t sound very loud even when they did sing, Orient were much louder. I thought it was a bit quiet overall for most of the second half but at 4-1 the game was over and it is always difficult to generate much of an atmosphere in such circumstances.

whats with goodnight irene ?  wonder why they sing that ?  i thought the rovers support was outstanding considering the drubbing they got..would be  good to find out how goodnight irene came about though  bit of a strange one, like stoke singing delilah maybe cam or someone can enlighten us  ?    [:D]

From Wiki:

Club song

The song which is synonymous with Rovers is "Goodnight, Irene", which was written by Leadbelly.[42] It is sung by fans in support of the team.

Opinions differ as to how this came about but it is thought to have

become popular in the 1950s when a version of the song was in the

British charts—the line "sometimes I have a great notion to jump in the

river and drown"—seemed to be particularly apt when Rovers lost as the Bristol Frome flows alongside the old Eastville ground.[23] Another theory is that it was sung at a fireworks display at the Stadium the night before a Home game against Plymouth Argyle

in the fifties. During the game the following day, Rovers were winning

quite comfortably and the few Argyle supporters present began to leave

early prompting a chorus of "Goodnight Argyle" from the Rovers

supporters—the tune stuck and Irene became the club song.[43]

Another popular Bristol Rovers song is "Tote End Boys", which

was written and sung by Ben Gunstone. The name "Tote End Boys" derives

from the section of Gasheads who stood in the Tote End terrace at

Rovers'' old home, Eastville Stadium. The flower bed behind the goal is referred to in "Tote End Boys"

The era of the tote end is documented in detail in ''Booted and

Suited'' a book by Chris Brown described as social history with steel

toecaps.