Sign in to follow this  
hugoagogo

American "soccer"fans?

i know an american soccer fan. i met him in states a few years ago (prem season) and told him all about City. he has since been to england and to two of our games (qpr at home and wednesday away). he even bought a brick in jarrold stand reading ''Bob Bilko, Dc United yank''''. he keep up to date with norwich and buys city things over the net!

In fairness, most Americans I''ve had the pleasure of talking to have shown a genuine interest in our version of the game.  It''s cricket that really floors them but that''s hardly surprising!  There are plenty of Americans who play "soccer" and are passionate about it but it is likely to continue to be a small player against "gridiron", basketball, hockey and baseball.  I''d certainly encourage any American to take an interest in our what goes on over here, especially in any of them have any spare cash that they''d like to invest!

(Derrr!  Wish I could write proper English - here''s a version that''s slightly more coherent!) In fairness, most Americans I''ve had the pleasure of talking to have shown a genuine interest in our version of the game.  It''s cricket that really floors them but that''s hardly surprising!  There are plenty of Americans who play "soccer" and are passionate about it but it is likely to continue to be a small player against "gridiron", basketball, hockey and baseball.  I''d certainly encourage any American to take an interest in what goes on over here, especially if any of them have any spare cash that they''d like to invest!

[quote user="Dronny Canary"](Derrr!  Wish I could write proper English - here''s a version that''s slightly more coherent!) In fairness, most Americans I''ve had the pleasure of talking to have shown a genuine interest in our version of the game.  It''s cricket that really floors them but that''s hardly surprising!  There are plenty of Americans who play "soccer" and are passionate about it but it is likely to continue to be a small player against "gridiron", basketball, hockey and baseball.  I''d certainly encourage any American to take an interest in what goes on over here, especially if any of them have any spare cash that they''d like to invest!
[/quote]

couldnt notice any difference!

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user="Dronny Canary"](Derrr!  Wish I could write proper English - here''s a version that''s slightly more coherent!) In fairness, most Americans I''ve had the pleasure of talking to have shown a genuine interest in our version of the game.  It''s cricket that really floors them but that''s hardly surprising!  There are plenty of Americans who play "soccer" and are passionate about it but it is likely to continue to be a small player against "gridiron", basketball, hockey and baseball.  I''d certainly encourage any American to take an interest in what goes on over here, especially if any of them have any spare cash that they''d like to invest!
[/quote]

couldnt notice any difference!

[/quote]

Cheers Ryan![:$]

I lived in the USA for close to 6 years.Unfortunatly , "soccer" is a game which seems to be reserved for Mexicans, Children and women. Womens football is far more competative in the US than mens on a lot of levels.Also for university''s it costs a total fortune to fund a throw ball in pads team, so if a university cant afford a team they will then focus on Basketball and "soccer".Ive met a few pretty neat players in the states in my time and its comming through slowly belive it or not.Basketball is a bigger problem than Throw Ball in Pads because one of the appeals of Soccer is the fact that all you need is a ball, same goes with Basketball.Again, the Americans really cant get thier heads around cricket but then baseball is equally as mundane, similar crowd reaction as well. As in one of my buddies once said to me when i ummm''d over going to a baseball game with him " Dude, you dont go to baseball to watch the game, you go to eat Hotdogs and drink beer "

I''d like to see the US increase it''s domestic interest in football. It is *the* truly global game and given their population and wealth, the US really out to be a lot higher up the world rankings than they are.From what little I''ve read I think football is on the up over the pond, hopefully the day they start using the proper name for it is only a few centuries away... [;)]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I lived in the USA for close to 6 years.
Unfortunatly , "soccer" is a game which seems to be reserved for Mexicans, Children and women. Womens football is far more competative in the US than mens on a lot of levels.
Also for university''s it costs a total fortune to fund a throw ball in pads team, so if a university cant afford a team they will then focus on Basketball and "soccer".
Ive met a few pretty neat players in the states in my time and its comming through slowly belive it or not.

Basketball is a bigger problem than Throw Ball in Pads because one of the appeals of Soccer is the fact that all you need is a ball, same goes with Basketball.

Again, the Americans really cant get thier heads around cricket but then baseball is equally as mundane, similar crowd reaction as well. As in one of my buddies once said to me when i ummm''d over going to a baseball game with him " Dude, you dont go to baseball to watch the game, you go to eat Hotdogs and drink beer "
[/quote]

Uncanny! That''s virtually word for word what the last American I spoke to said about baseball!

[quote user="Kryten121"][quote user="hugoagogo"]Should stick to Grid Iron.[/quote] why?[/quote]

Mug!!

My Grandad is a Yank and has been a city fan since he met my Nan in ''57, he attended every game of the ''59 cup run, was at Watford when we were promoted to the first division for the first time in ''72 and every game of the ''85 league cup winning run. I wonder if you can boast such devotion to the club?