Sign in to follow this  
Road to Nowhere

McVeigh - Useful squad player or waste of space??

The only disappointing thing about Saturday for me was WLY''s contribution. In my opinion the last few games he has looked slow, lightweight and very much behind play.

When he re-signed I thought it may be a good move to add depth to the squad but I am struggling to see what he adds? 

Nice guy, good player in the past, but we cant afford to be sentimental.

Useful squad player.

Encourages the youngsters during the game, can still pick a quality pass when he wants to aswell. I just wouldn''t start him every game.

This is why I can''t wait for the band-wagon fans to get bored and find a new play thing. You go to Carrow Road these days and half of the fans there don''t have a clue about anything. They think Daydream believer is a nice pick-me-up before the game, that Wes Hoolahan (or insert other name here) is the most talented player to ever play for the club and that Iwan Roberts was a player who scored a few goals a long time ago.McVeigh is the most talented player (maybe minus Dean Ashton, Thomas Helveg and maybe maybe Huckerby) to have played at this club in the past decade. He''s an old bor now, not so quick (he never was a fast player) but he has more skill and talent in one pinky than Hoolahan does in that left peg of his. I like Hoolahan I think he''s a good player, one for the future and a good talent but I''m under no illusions he''s never going to be as good as McVeigh. He''ll never be able to play completely out of position (like McVeigh), play with his weaker foot, be the top goal-scorer for this club, be a great corner kick taker or acheive the same heights at the club that McVeigh has.So in answer to this thread, anybody who dare say McVeigh is a waste of space not only insults him as a player, Paul Lambert as a manager who can actually assess good talent, but also the fine pleasure it was to be a city supporter watching Iwan, WLY, Holt, Francis, Huckerby and Crouch put teams to the sword those seasons ago. McVeigh aint the quickest, the fittest or in his prime but nobody at the club now, or in the foreseeable future will be able to pick out the perfect pass time and time again like this lad.

[quote user="Fellas"]This is why I can''t wait for the band-wagon fans to get bored and find a new play thing. You go to Carrow Road these days and half of the fans there don''t have a clue about anything. They think Daydream believer is a nice pick-me-up before the game, that Wes Hoolahan (or insert other name here) is the most talented player to ever play for the club and that Iwan Roberts was a player who scored a few goals a long time ago.

McVeigh is the most talented player (maybe minus Dean Ashton, Thomas Helveg and maybe maybe Huckerby) to have played at this club in the past decade. He''s an old bor now, not so quick (he never was a fast player) but he has more skill and talent in one pinky than Hoolahan does in that left peg of his. I like Hoolahan I think he''s a good player, one for the future and a good talent but I''m under no illusions he''s never going to be as good as McVeigh. He''ll never be able to play completely out of position (like McVeigh), play with his weaker foot, be the top goal-scorer for this club, be a great corner kick taker or acheive the same heights at the club that McVeigh has.

So in answer to this thread, anybody who dare say McVeigh is a waste of space not only insults him as a player, Paul Lambert as a manager who can actually assess good talent, but also the fine pleasure it was to be a city supporter watching Iwan, WLY, Holt, Francis, Huckerby and Crouch put teams to the sword those seasons ago.

McVeigh aint the quickest, the fittest or in his prime but nobody at the club now, or in the foreseeable future will be able to pick out the perfect pass time and time again like this lad.
[/quote]

Very true. McVeigh was a class act back then when we reached the playoff final and won the league two years later. But I wouldn''t say that he still posseses more ability than Hoolahan. However, I agree that he''s far from a ''waste of space'' - and if only for his achievements for us in the past, he doesn''t deserved to be called one.

As for Daydream believer, I actually like that being played again. Reminds me of the days that we were a decent championship side [;)]

McVeigh is the most talented player (maybe minus Dean Ashton, Thomas Helveg and maybe maybe Huckerby) to have played at this club in the past decade.

WHAT?

He had 2 good seasons (Play-Off year and the one after). I cannot believe he plays for this club, I bet he couldn''t believe it when Gunn offered him a contract. All I can say is that he must have pictures of Lambert in compromising positions for him to be playing him.

McVeigh''s not as good as he was in his first spell here, but I still think that he''s still good enough to play in the first team, though maybe like Cureton, off the bench

However, tomorrow night I would probably start him, due to the injury problems we have at the moment

I wouldn''t say he was useless, no worse than anyone else on the field. Plus he can pick out quality passes and isn''t bad on the ball, so a useful squad player I''d say.

Useful to have as a sub at this level but not good enough to start, he''s far to lightweight and gets knocked off the ball to easy imo. The same could be said of Lappin who along with Mcveigh has been one of our poorer performers in the last few games.

Useful squad player..he''s mainly been played on the right wing, most certainly not his best position.

Seems to be a good player to have around, although I would not start him very often, if at all.  He strikes me as the kind of player who could either lend a spark or provide reassurance, depending on the situation, coming off the bench to help generate a needed goal or prevent an unwanted collapse. Leadership kind of thing is what I''m getting at.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Seems to be a good player to have around, although I would not start him very often, if at all.  He strikes me as the kind of player who could either lend a spark or provide reassurance, depending on the situation, coming off the bench to help generate a needed goal or prevent an unwanted collapse. Leadership kind of thing is what I''m getting at.[/quote]

You must be on your medication or something today, Houston - I''m finding I agree with you.[:D] 

Good squad player for this level - he''s past his best and I certainly dont believe in living on past glories. He can do a job for us at L1 level but I think he''ll sadly be out of his depth now (pace wise not skill wise) if we get promoted

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Seems to be a good player to have around, although I would not start him very often, if at all.  He strikes me as the kind of player who could either lend a spark or provide reassurance, depending on the situation, coming off the bench to help generate a needed goal or prevent an unwanted collapse. Leadership kind of thing is what I''m getting at.[/quote]

You must be on your medication or something today, Houston - I''m finding I agree with you.[:D] 

[/quote]

I don''t take any mental health meds, although you are not the 1st to think I do or should. Never got to see him play much, but he seems like the kind of player whose experience commands respect from the youngsters, and as such he can serve a purpose being part of the line up.  However, I agree with the previous poster about him not being someone to bring along with us when we get promoted in May.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[/quote]

I don''t take any mental health meds, although you are not the 1st to think I do or should. Never got to see him play much, but he seems like the kind of player whose experience commands respect from the youngsters, and as such he can serve a purpose being part of the line up.  However, I agree with the previous poster about him not being someone to bring along with us when we get promoted in May.

[/quote]

In that case, perhaps I''m the one on something today!

I think you should get rid of him to Lincoln.  What with his "rugby grasp" and Kovac''s "trailing foot" I think that would be pretty much the middle of the defence sorted.

[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

I think you should get rid of him to Lincoln.  What with his "rugby grasp" and Kovac''s "trailing foot" I think that would be pretty much the middle of the defence sorted.

[;)]

[/quote]

Am i having a blonde moment Cam? Your attempt at humour relates to someone other than McVeigh me thinks.

No, McVeigh started off playing Rugby, not Association Football just as goalkeeper Given started off with Gaelic football.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]No, McVeigh started off playing Rugby, not Association Football just as goalkeeper Given started off with Gaelic football.[/quote]

If you didn''t know that I blame your local newspaper - you just can''t get the staff or not on the money they pay.[:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]No, McVeigh started off playing Rugby, not Association Football just as goalkeeper Given started off with Gaelic football.[/quote]

Well that is something i did not know as i thought he started out as a Spurs trainee.Having spoken to him at a NCISA forum a few years back he told me that he had studied law as a student and when he hangs up his boots he may well continue his studies.

Couldn''t resist a little go at Archant yet again i see Cam.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Fellas"]This is why I can''t wait for the band-wagon fans to get bored and find a new play thing. You go to Carrow Road these days and half of the fans there don''t have a clue about anything. They think Daydream believer is a nice pick-me-up before the game, that Wes Hoolahan (or insert other name here) is the most talented player to ever play for the club and that Iwan Roberts was a player who scored a few goals a long time ago.

McVeigh is the most talented player (maybe minus Dean Ashton, Thomas Helveg and maybe maybe Huckerby) to have played at this club in the past decade. He''s an old bor now, not so quick (he never was a fast player) but he has more skill and talent in one pinky than Hoolahan does in that left peg of his. I like Hoolahan I think he''s a good player, one for the future and a good talent but I''m under no illusions he''s never going to be as good as McVeigh. He''ll never be able to play completely out of position (like McVeigh), play with his weaker foot, be the top goal-scorer for this club, be a great corner kick taker or acheive the same heights at the club that McVeigh has.

So in answer to this thread, anybody who dare say McVeigh is a waste of space not only insults him as a player, Paul Lambert as a manager who can actually assess good talent, but also the fine pleasure it was to be a city supporter watching Iwan, WLY, Holt, Francis, Huckerby and Crouch put teams to the sword those seasons ago.

McVeigh aint the quickest, the fittest or in his prime but nobody at the club now, or in the foreseeable future will be able to pick out the perfect pass time and time again like this lad.
[/quote]

Very true. McVeigh was a class act back then when we reached the playoff final and won the league two years later. But I wouldn''t say that he still posseses more ability than Hoolahan. However, I agree that he''s far from a ''waste of space'' - and if only for his achievements for us in the past, he doesn''t deserved to be called one.

As for Daydream believer, I actually like that being played again. Reminds me of the days that we were a decent championship side [;)]

[/quote] What a load of utter tosh. I can only assume your mention of Thomas Helveg in the same sentence as Ashton and Huckerby is the clue that this is a wind up. I too loved WLY way back, as I did Fox, Sutton, Paddon, Peters, Eadie etc but to say he has more talent than Hoolahan is simply nonsense. Huckerby was twice the player McVeigh ever was and I can''t believe you are serious. McVeigh is no longer good enough for League One - he was released by a relegated Luton, not because he cost too much money but because they thought he couldn''t cut it, yet Mr Gunn, solely for sentimental reasons saw fit to give him a contract because he impressed in training. You are right that Lambert is no fool and McVeigh will not feature in the first team squad once he has put together his own. I love him for what he did but he is now, unfortunately, a waste of space. Why not give Mulryne a contract too? - he was also a decent player for us once.