Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Just back from Gillingham

Before you ask...no I dont live in Norwich, so no speed limits broken, ...well almost none!

Great turnout from City fans, which seemed to be as numerous as there were Gillingham spectators.

Most impressed tonight by Francomb, Stephens and Wiggins, who all look like they could fill those positions as worthy back ups should first choice not be available.

Cody took his goal really well and should get the nod for the late sub ahead of Curo at Carlisle, imo.

Hughes, although lively doesn''t do it for me...he should have been running the midfield with Adeyemi, but was playing far too deep, at times he was almost part of the back four and so we had little control of the midfield and that encouraged loads of hoofball to nowhere.

Martin started to play the target man towards the end of the first half and that was when we appeared most dangerous with some good running by Daley, who was unlucky not to get onto the scoresheet.

Doc was busy but he is definitely slowing up and getting ever more physical with his arms in particular and will give us trouble, I fear, in a more competitive game than we have had since he got back into the team.

Curo was not particularly effective tonight, needs the holding player to play off, so more late sub appearances rather than starting 11 for the future would be my guess.

McVeigh, was lively but lacking in pace and touches were not that great. Needed to get closer to his man, so allowed alot of play to come past him offering little defensively.

Dont want to go back to Gillingham again...pokey little hole but at least they gave us the covered stand opposite their main stand to keep us out of the elements tonight.

I thought that the subbing of Martin for Cody was very strange as I thought that Cureton would have gone off as he was very slow(although hard-working) and the game was crying out for a pacey forward alongside Martin. I can only assume that Martin was being saved for Saturday. Thankfully, Lambert did not leave it too late, but I was getting very worried about it going to penalties.

Considering all of the changes, it was not a bad performance and it shows that we really do have some strength in depth at this level.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Hughes, although lively doesn''t do it for me...he should have been running the midfield with Adeyemi, but was playing far too deep, at times he was almost part of the back four and so we had little control of the midfield and that encouraged loads of hoofball to nowhere.[/quote]

I wonder if there was a reason for that. Hughes is looking to get back into the team, a team that is playing 4-3-3. Holt, Hoolahan and Martin i would say are untouchable up front at the moment. That leaves the midfield 3 which is Smith, Lappin and Russell. Very unlikely that Smith will be replaced and so that leaves Lappin/Russell. I would say that this was practice for controlling the game deep in midfield. Although without having a player like Hoolahan constantly looking for the ball on the deck then it can be hard to find players to pass to sometimes.

Everyone knows Hughes game is about passing and not hoofing but he might just have to wait his chance considering we are playing so well at the moment - Even though personally i believe he''s the best midfielder we have.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Hughes, although lively doesn''t do it for me...he should have been running the midfield with Adeyemi, but was playing far too deep, at times he was almost part of the back four and so we had little control of the midfield and that encouraged loads of hoofball to nowhere.[/quote]

I wonder if there was a reason for that. Hughes is looking to get back into the team, a team that is playing 4-3-3. Holt, Hoolahan and Martin i would say are untouchable up front at the moment. That leaves the midfield 3 which is Smith, Lappin and Russell. Very unlikely that Smith will be replaced and so that leaves Lappin/Russell. I would say that this was practice for controlling the game deep in midfield. Although without having a player like Hoolahan constantly looking for the ball on the deck then it can be hard to find players to pass to sometimes.

Everyone knows Hughes game is about passing and not hoofing but he might just have to wait his chance considering we are playing so well at the moment - Even though personally i believe he''s the best midfielder we have.

[/quote]It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond and Hughes came on to play the base of that diamond on saturday. Now as I was not at the game last night I dont know if Lambert was trying new players in the same formation but if so Hughes would be the deep lying player that Russell was on sat.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]
It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond and Hughes came on to play the base of that diamond on saturday. Now as I was not at the game last night I dont know if Lambert was trying new players in the same formation but if so Hughes would be the deep lying player that Russell was on sat.
[/quote]

You mean a 4-1-2-1-2?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond and Hughes came on to play the base of that diamond on saturday. Now as I was not at the game last night I dont know if Lambert was trying new players in the same formation but if so Hughes would be the deep lying player that Russell was on sat.[/quote]

You mean a 4-1-2-1-2?

[/quote]If you so wish then yes. Always thought of it as the diamond midfield myself.

[quote user="king canary"]

It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond.

[/quote]

I''ve seen it it described as a diamond quite a bit on here but I''m in agreement with Downloads. Looks like a 4-3-3 to me with Hoolahan and Martin playing just behind Holt. Martin was certainly not playing as an orthodox centre forward on Saturday and instead his starting position seemed to be in the same sort of area as Hoolahan. So I suppose you could say it''s a 4-3-2-1 if you want to be really picky [;)]

A few thoughts:

1. Great turnout but our annoying Cabbage Patch Kids need to calm down a bit. i''m all for the vocal support but some of the needless abuse of opposition fans they dish out is going to get them (or more likely others as these kids jump striaght on the coaches after the game) a hiding if we play somewhere more dodgy.

2. Thought Askou was the only player that really stood out last night - he looked very stong in all he did. Stephens did well when he came on for the Doc.

3. Francombe looked tidy and improved as the game went on but he is very young and I would not want to play him in a fitst team game yet. Would be likely to be outmuscled too easily.

4. Mcveigjh was sh*t as was Cureton.

5. Cody single handedly posed more threat than the rest of our team combined after he came on. Must be ahead of Curo in the pecking order if you ask me.

6. We looked good for the periods where the midfield got a grip on the game. Unfortunately that tended to ebb and flow but our best perioids co-incided with Adayemi''s best spells and vice versa.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="king canary"]

It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond.

[/quote]

I''ve seen it it described as a diamond quite a bit on here but I''m in agreement with Downloads. Looks like a 4-3-3 to me with Hoolahan and Martin playing just behind Holt. Martin was certainly not playing as an orthodox centre forward on Saturday and instead his starting position seemed to be in the same sort of area as Hoolahan. So I suppose you could say it''s a 4-3-2-1 if you want to be really picky [;)]

[/quote]Cant say I agree, I thought Martin was an orthodox CF. Up with Holt all the time with Hoolahan wherever he wanted to be. Lappin and Smith also certainl;y had more license to roam forward than Russell which to me suggests diamond. I can see why it might seem Martin was not up top as he did alot of hard work tracking back to allow Hoolahan to not have to but I''m sticking with diamond.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

A few thoughts:

1. Great turnout but our annoying Cabbage Patch Kids need to calm down a bit. i''m all for the vocal support but some of the needless abuse of opposition fans they dish out is going to get them (or more likely others as these kids jump striaght on the coaches after the game) a hiding if we play somewhere more dodgy.

2. Thought Askou was the only player that really stood out last night - he looked very stong in all he did. Stephens did well when he came on for the Doc.

3. Francombe looked tidy and improved as the game went on but he is very young and I would not want to play him in a fitst team game yet. Would be likely to be outmuscled too easily.

4. Mcveigjh was sh*t as was Cureton.

5. Cody single handedly posed more threat than the rest of our team combined after he came on. Must be ahead of Curo in the pecking order if you ask me.

6. We looked good for the periods where the midfield got a grip on the game. Unfortunately that tended to ebb and flow but our best perioids co-incided with Adayemi''s best spells and vice versa.

[/quote]

I was there as well and this is pretty much spot on.

Cureton was simply awful and McVeigh ineffective. Seems we have some encouraging youngsters coming through though. Stephens in particular, cool head, massive frame and great potential.

Good points from Jim Smith.

I  was thinking exactly the same about the singing. There''s nothing wrong with a bit of banter but some of this was a bit OTT and not particularly funny after the first time. As you say at Millwall or some of the other less solubrious places we have yet to visit could get ordinary fans in a bit of bother.

I don''t think I''ve done as much jumping around to celebrate a goal as I have for Cody''s - thoroughly deserved and Gillingham didn''t quite know how to handle him.

Glad we avoided penalties as I thought an equaliser was imminent in the last 10 minutes or so.

A good evening out anyway.

The yoof who turn out for us regularly at the moment are getting on my nerves. Not all of em you understand but I think we''ve all seen those few groups now who have watched a tad too much Danny Dyer. I don''t think they properly comprehend what they''re actually doing. It''s a shame as they are vocal and we need the noise but there was some stuff at the league game at Gillingham which was so far out of order. Racist stuff. Worse still, when they were warned off it by those of us near enough to have words it became internal.Pack it in lads. Sing up by all means but curb the backwards knuckle dragging.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Jim - this was a 1st team game (which is what I''m assuming fitst to mean)! 

[quote user="Romantic"]The yoof who turn out for us regularly at the moment are getting on my nerves. Not all of em you understand but I think we''ve all seen those few groups now who have watched a tad too much Danny Dyer. I don''t think they properly comprehend what they''re actually doing. It''s a shame as they are vocal and we need the noise but there was some stuff at the league game at Gillingham which was so far out of order. Racist stuff. Worse still, when they were warned off it by those of us near enough to have words it became internal.Pack it in lads. Sing up by all means but curb the backwards knuckle dragging. [/quote]The people who the OP is talking about aren''t who you''re thinking of. These guys were all in kits, and seemed to me to be slightly inbred. Never seen any of them before and have to be some of the most anoying people i''ve ever seen.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]
It''s not 4-3-3 its a 4-4-2 with a diamond and Hughes came on to play the base of that diamond on saturday. Now as I was not at the game last night I dont know if Lambert was trying new players in the same formation but if so Hughes would be the deep lying player that Russell was on sat.
[/quote]

My favourite team formation is the Christmas pudding, with the little sixpence (Hoolahoop?) in the middle.

Anyone got any more comments to add on Wiggins performance?? He''s a player i''ve got a high hopes for.