Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Lappin & McVeigh - Back on easy street?

Based on their performances this season, both are on the decline. Lappin was getting MOM kind of praise earlier in the season and seemed to be fighting like hell for his place. Now he strolls through the games and seems to have lost his best asset of a classy left peg.

McVeigh, I was never a fan, but he did surprise me earlier in the season with his running and effort. Now he is back to the lazy boy similar to when he faded with Norwich on his original tenure.

Lappin, pull your socks up, you last of the Grant Scottish rejects.

McVeigh - Luton are calling. See ya.

Firstly, in contrast to other areas of the pitch the squad is threadbare on wide players. Gunn just didn''t strengthen on the flanks - OTJ, Gill, Hughes are all CMs. Smith, Adeyemi and Russell are all also CM minded. Whaley flopped, we haven''t seen whether Wiggins can play on the wing yet. Finally Hoolahan has been given the hole which seems to work for everyone, playing the diamond which deliberately sacrifices width anyway. Perhaps this combination of formation and lack of competition is precisely Lappin and McVeigh''s problem.Having said that I don''t fully agree about Lappin, he''s never really been a hustling sort, but perhaps he needs a rest to get his energy levels back up to where they were when he rejoined the first team. Regardless of that though, he''s still our best deliverer of a cross or deadball, something we sorely miss without his presence.Jury is still definitely out on McVeigh.

[quote user="Fernando Derveld"]Firstly, in contrast to other areas of the pitch the squad is threadbare on wide players. Gunn just didn''t strengthen on the flanks - OTJ, Gill, Hughes are all CMs. Smith, Adeyemi and Russell are all also CM minded. Whaley flopped, we haven''t seen whether Wiggins can play on the wing yet. Finally Hoolahan has been given the hole which seems to work for everyone, playing the diamond which deliberately sacrifices width anyway. Perhaps this combination of formation and lack of competition is precisely Lappin and McVeigh''s problem.Having said that I don''t fully agree about Lappin, he''s never really been a hustling sort, but perhaps he needs a rest to get his energy levels back up to where they were when he rejoined the first team. Regardless of that though, he''s still our best deliverer of a cross or deadball, something we sorely miss without his presence.Jury is still definitely out on McVeigh.[/quote]I''d Agree with that.

Lappins quality has taken a dip however he does bring experience to the midfield and we dont have any better options at the mo.

WLY has actually delivered better set pieces than Lappin and oozes more quality,  but I think he showed on Sat that he brings some value to the squad - he just adds it in less obvious ways than the all energy  Smith or only goal threat martin.  He does not have pace but does close down and worked back well.   I think its noticeable that our goal threat from corners has reduced when WLY does not take them.

Back on easy street?  Not with lambert in charge I dont think.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Based on their performances this season, both are on the decline. Lappin was getting MOM kind of praise earlier in the season and seemed to be fighting like hell for his place. Now he strolls through the games and seems to have lost his best asset of a classy left peg. McVeigh, I was never a fan, but he did surprise me earlier in the season with his running and effort. Now he is back to the lazy boy similar to when he faded with Norwich on his original tenure. Lappin, pull your socks up, you last of the Grant Scottish rejects. McVeigh - Luton are calling. See ya.[/quote]

We are in a very good run of form, have just rattled in 9 goals in the last 2 matches, 1 of which against team far higher than us in the legue but yet you still find something to moan about.  Lappin has started pretty much every match since Lambert has been here and McVeigh has certainly played his part to so how you can start slagging these guys off is beyond me.

It is a team game and Lappin was far from strolling about on Saturday and was doing a huge amount of harrassing in the middle of the park and helping Drury out defensively.  It is no coincidence that Drury has been far more solid and has more licence going forward with Lappin in the side.  When McViegh came on, he played a very clever game, keeping it simple and making the odd beneficial foul here and there, he did not need to be running around the pitch like a teenager but I don''t think there was any evident lack of effort.  Both players, I might add, were playing out of position as well as part of a midfield 3, whilst Hoolahan had pretty much a free role.     

You appear to have a pretty blinkered view of football as a game (do you even go?) and probably think the only reason we''re winning is due to Hoolahan and Holt because they make the obvious contribution.  Its like suggesting Ronaldo was the only reason Man Utd were any good last season!

That''s a bit harsh Clint. I don''t think the other posters are moaning. I agree with them that Lappin''s form hasn''t been as good over the last couple of games and IMO our worse player on Saturday. However, he is very important to the team and will have better games, whilst WLY is a useful squad player.

Fair comment Metal but I''m not having a go at the other posters just the original poster who labelled Lappin as ''the last of the Scottish rejects'' and WLY as ''a lazy boy who should go back to Luton'', which I felt was more than a bit harsh!        

I did predicted this from McVeigh. Any City fan should be able to remember him only trying when he needed a new contract or establishing himself as a squad player. This hasn''t changed now he''s come back.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]That''s a bit harsh Clint. I don''t think the other posters are moaning. I agree with them that Lappin''s form hasn''t been as good over the last couple of games and IMO our worse player on Saturday. However, he is very important to the team and will have better games, whilst WLY is a useful squad player.[/quote]Maybe he was our worst player on saturday but for me it was still a 6/7 out of 10 performance. It would be a crazy idea to change a team that has just won 5-1 and potentially unbalance the formation. Lappin may not be great but with his left foot he provides balance to the team.

Both have played well recently, the results have picked up and we''re about to gatecrash the playoffs. Not bad for a couple of regulars under Lambert being "Off their game."Seriously, a thread started which gives these guys some CREDIT would be nice. McVeigh has been pee''d on by plenty of posters on here only to go out on the pitch and do a decent job. The fact that Lappin is still with the club at all is fantastic. How many players in the modern day would choose to battle their way back to the starting line up when he could''ve got a move elsewhere? I''m sure a few Scottish clubs at least would come in for him. In these two, we have something that virtually every poster on this board was crying out for last season and in the summer: Two players that actually WANT to play for OUR club And again, the results are improving. I''m not suggesting it''s only down to these two, far from it. But for the love of god credit where credit is due.I want so badly for one of them to score from a cracking 30 yard strike just to see the reactions of some of you on here.

[quote user="Superflash"]Both have played well recently, the results have picked up and we''re about to gatecrash the playoffs. Not bad for a couple of regulars under Lambert being "Off their game."Seriously, a thread started which gives these guys some CREDIT would be nice. McVeigh has been pee''d on by plenty of posters on here only to go out on the pitch and do a decent job. The fact that Lappin is still with the club at all is fantastic. How many players in the modern day would choose to battle their way back to the starting line up when he could''ve got a move elsewhere? I''m sure a few Scottish clubs at least would come in for him. In these two, we have something that virtually every poster on this board was crying out for last season and in the summer: Two players that actually WANT to play for OUR club And again, the results are improving. I''m not suggesting it''s only down to these two, far from it. But for the love of god credit where credit is due.I want so badly for one of them to score from a cracking 30 yard strike just to see the reactions of some of you on here. [/quote]Why don''t you make a thread giving them credit then?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Superflash"]Both have played well recently, the results have picked up and we''re about to gatecrash the playoffs. Not bad for a couple of regulars under Lambert being "Off their game."Seriously, a thread started which gives these guys some CREDIT would be nice. McVeigh has been pee''d on by plenty of posters on here only to go out on the pitch and do a decent job. The fact that Lappin is still with the club at all is fantastic. How many players in the modern day would choose to battle their way back to the starting line up when he could''ve got a move elsewhere? I''m sure a few Scottish clubs at least would come in for him. In these two, we have something that virtually every poster on this board was crying out for last season and in the summer: Two players that actually WANT to play for OUR club And again, the results are improving. I''m not suggesting it''s only down to these two, far from it. But for the love of god credit where credit is due.I want so badly for one of them to score from a cracking 30 yard strike just to see the reactions of some of you on here. [/quote]Why don''t you make a thread giving them credit then?[/quote]''Cos it''s already been done. Lappin may not be hitting his best form recently but let''s not forget that last season no-one - especially not our erstwhile captain - could take a decent corner. Only 50% seemed to beat the first man. Thought Lappin was afraid to shoot on Saturday - but he does provide decent corners. Have said it before on here: set pieces must not be squandered in this division. Three of our goals came from them on Saturday - one of them from a Lappin corner.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Superflash"]Both have played well recently, the results have picked up and we''re about to gatecrash the playoffs. Not bad for a couple of regulars under Lambert being "Off their game."Seriously, a thread started which gives these guys some CREDIT would be nice. McVeigh has been pee''d on by plenty of posters on here only to go out on the pitch and do a decent job. The fact that Lappin is still with the club at all is fantastic. How many players in the modern day would choose to battle their way back to the starting line up when he could''ve got a move elsewhere? I''m sure a few Scottish clubs at least would come in for him. In these two, we have something that virtually every poster on this board was crying out for last season and in the summer: Two players that actually WANT to play for OUR club And again, the results are improving. I''m not suggesting it''s only down to these two, far from it. But for the love of god credit where credit is due.I want so badly for one of them to score from a cracking 30 yard strike just to see the reactions of some of you on here. [/quote]Why don''t you make a thread giving them credit then?[/quote]1) Because it''s being discussed here already.2) Another thread on the matter? I''m not one of those posters who keep re-posting essentially the same topic. 3) I shouldn''t have to, seeing as this very thread should''ve been a positive one from the start [:P]

i thought lappin was  closing down well on saturday  i`ve seen no lack of effort from him..he`s come a long way , to think he got rested for the jpt game , not so long back he would have just about made the bench for that game  [:)]

Lappin is quality - has a controlled calming influence and although not the quickest, has a decent delivery. There were a few over hit passes from him on saturdaty, not his best game ever but did contribute.

Mcviegh is a good player to have in the squad. i do agree a pacier wide player should be sought in january though.