Sign in to follow this  
Libbra Lives in Dubai

Player ratings for Gillingham

Went to Gillingham last night and found City to be underwhelming - but very understrength. A good result rather than performance for me, but an interesting look at some of the younger players too.

Forster 7 - didnt put a foot wrong and looked good distribution wise. He was strong coming out and brave in the challenge.

Francomb 5 - marking was suspect and all too often his man was pulling away from him. Worked hard to get back when this happened and put in some tackles - but looked a liability and lightweight.

Wiggins 6 - looked solid and has an eye for a pass. Has reasonable pace and gets forward well.

Askou 6 - looked good in the air and won important tackles. Still prone to punting the ball up the field.

Doherty 7 - looked very composed and put in some good tackles. Talked well and played the ball out of defenceas well as winning his headers.

Daley 5 - got forward several times but lacked the confidence to finish. Largely ineffective.

Adeyemi 6 - didnt notice him much - missed a free header but largely absent.

Hughes 7 - pulled strings and was the playmaker and start of most of our moves

McVeigh 6 - looked threatening at times and made some decent forward runs

Cureton 4 - this is it for me with Cureton. We was SO SLOW, and fluffed the only chance he had. Wasted passes. For me he is our 5th striker

Martin 6 - looked busy and put himself about winning headers. Had a couple of good chances. Did well.

Stephens 6 - did his job and looked solid

Dawkin 5 - didnt see a lot of the ball but made some decent forward runs

McDonald 7 - excellent goal, looked fresh and hungry and had a few chances. I feel that he plays best with a bigger striker

The burgers 0 - the meat was grey and tasteless and had to be swallowed with a large swig of beer.

Bit harsh on Francomb bearing in mind it was his senior debut plus he had to play right in front of the Norwich fans first half. He looked slightly nervous admittedly but he has got potential.

Askou was more than a 6 as well. If it wasnt for him we would have lost.

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]Went to Gillingham last night and found City to be underwhelming - but very understrength. A good result rather than performance for me, but an interesting look at some of the younger players too. Forster 7 - didnt put a foot wrong and looked good distribution wise. He was strong coming out and brave in the challenge. Francomb 5 - marking was suspect and all too often his man was pulling away from him. Worked hard to get back when this happened and put in some tackles - but looked a liability and lightweight. Wiggins 6 - looked solid and has an eye for a pass. Has reasonable pace and gets forward well. Askou 6 - looked good in the air and won important tackles. Still prone to punting the ball up the field. Doherty 7 - looked very composed and put in some good tackles. Talked well and played the ball out of defenceas well as winning his headers. Daley 5 - got forward several times but lacked the confidence to finish. Largely ineffective. Adeyemi 6 - didnt notice him much - missed a free header but largely absent. Hughes 7 - pulled strings and was the playmaker and start of most of our moves McVeigh 6 - looked threatening at times and made some decent forward runs Cureton 4 - this is it for me with Cureton. We was SO SLOW, and fluffed the only chance he had. Wasted passes. For me he is our 5th striker Martin 6 - looked busy and put himself about winning headers. Had a couple of good chances. Did well. Stephens 6 - did his job and looked solid Dawkin 5 - didnt see a lot of the ball but made some decent forward runs McDonald 7 - excellent goal, looked fresh and hungry and had a few chances. I feel that he plays best with a bigger striker The burgers 0 - the meat was grey and tasteless and had to be swallowed with a large swig of beer.[/quote]

I find it amazing how people can watch the same game and see it so differently but I guess this great game is all about opinions. Personally I am staggered at how anyone can think Mcveigh looked threatening or how anyone could give the Doc a higher rating than Askou. Also think Hughes mark is generous as he faded out of the game at times.

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]Went to Gillingham last night and found City to be underwhelming - but very understrength. A good result rather than performance for me, but an interesting look at some of the younger players too. Forster 7 - didnt put a foot wrong and looked good distribution wise. He was strong coming out and brave in the challenge. Francomb 5 - marking was suspect and all too often his man was pulling away from him. Worked hard to get back when this happened and put in some tackles - but looked a liability and lightweight. Wiggins 6 - looked solid and has an eye for a pass. Has reasonable pace and gets forward well. Askou 6 - looked good in the air and won important tackles. Still prone to punting the ball up the field. Doherty 7 - looked very composed and put in some good tackles. Talked well and played the ball out of defenceas well as winning his headers. Daley 5 - got forward several times but lacked the confidence to finish. Largely ineffective. Adeyemi 6 - didnt notice him much - missed a free header but largely absent. Hughes 7 - pulled strings and was the playmaker and start of most of our moves McVeigh 6 - looked threatening at times and made some decent forward runs Cureton 4 - this is it for me with Cureton. We was SO SLOW, and fluffed the only chance he had. Wasted passes. For me he is our 5th striker Martin 6 - looked busy and put himself about winning headers. Had a couple of good chances. Did well. Stephens 6 - did his job and looked solid Dawkin 5 - didnt see a lot of the ball but made some decent forward runs McDonald 7 - excellent goal, looked fresh and hungry and had a few chances. I feel that he plays best with a bigger striker The burgers 0 - the meat was grey and tasteless and had to be swallowed with a large swig of beer.[/quote]

Same ole same old for Daley.

Daley threatened to be our most dangerous player first half. He was too hot for their defence and got away two or three times. But once again didn''t see it through and it came to nothing. Is it lack of confidence? He still has time to strengthen up a bit and he has the potential to be good. But will he ever realise that potential? I haven''t written him off yet.

Adeyemi was excellent, he''s a good athlete in the centre of midfield and I think he could be the best local boy to come through our academy for many a year. Hughes plays very deep and protects well, without him or Russell we couldn''t hope to grind out those 1-0 away wins that we have been missing for so long. Doc was solid and captained the team well but I''d still much rather he concentrated on his own position. He is beginning to form a decent partnership with Askou although they both struggled in the air against the young Gills forward who was quite a size with a decent leap. We defended the second ball well though but even so I was relieved when Gills subbed him. We missed Doc when he went off, Stephens looks a fine prospect though.

Francomb did ok, he lost his man a few times but got back quickly on a couple of those occasions. Even the JPT is a big step up for these lads who for various reasons haven''t even played much reserve team football. I wouldn''t have thought he''d be in contention on Saturday which leaves Smith there I guess. Hopefully Russell will be fit but losing Hughes alongside these problems is a bitter blow.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Francomb did ok, he lost his man a few times but got back quickly on a couple of those occasions. Even the JPT is a big step up for these lads who for various reasons haven''t even played much reserve team football. I wouldn''t have thought he''d be in contention on Saturday which leaves Smith there I guess. Hopefully Russell will be fit but losing Hughes alongside these problems is a bitter blow.

[/quote]I''d be quite happy with Russell and Adeyemi holding the centre of midfield which leaves Korey Smith at right back.  A shame, as Smith has been a revelation this season, but I think Adeyemi could be his equal.

Indeed so Mister. But it''s just a shame that we lose Hughes at the same time that Smith would have to cover the right back. Having options on the bench is just as important. I reckon that if we''d had Russell on the bench to replace Hughes at MK Dons we''d have stayed dominant and gone on to win the game. I would be happy with one of Russell/Hughes alongside one of Smith/Adeyemi with the added security of one of each on the bench.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''d be quite happy with Russell and Adeyemi holding the centre of midfield which leaves Korey Smith at right back.  A shame, as Smith has been a revelation this season, but I think Adeyemi could be his equal.

[/quote]

Agreed, but the key point is that Korey is very much a makeshift RB and we will therefore have an inherent weakness.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''d be quite happy with Russell and Adeyemi holding the centre of midfield which leaves Korey Smith at right back.  A shame, as Smith has been a revelation this season, but I think Adeyemi could be his equal.

[/quote]

Agreed, but the key point is that Korey is very much a makeshift RB and we will therefore have an inherent weakness.

[/quote]

It''s a shame isn''t it? That injury to Spillane is probably the most costly so far this season. Russell has played right back before and has more experience than Korey but without Hughes that option is a non-starter for me. Francomb is the only other real option but it''s a big ask.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I thought Spillane was an MOM candidate on Saturday if he''d gone the distance. What about Stephens, Nutty? I''ve not seen him play but he obviously has pace and height, or is he an out and out centreback?

I think we might get away with Korey at RB at Carlisle, but we need a better solution for Leeds IMHO

[/quote]

It''s a shame isn''t it? That injury to Spillane is probably the most costly so far this season. Russell has played right back before and has more experience than Korey but without Hughes that option is a non-starter for me. Francomb is the only other real option but it''s a big ask.

[/quote]

Oops, a case of premature interpolation above, I fear!

Yes, I thought Spillane was an MOM candidate on Saturday if he''d gone the distance. What about Stephens, Nutty? I''ve not seen him play but he obviously has pace and height, or is he an out and out centreback?

I think we might get away with Korey at RB at Carlisle, but we need a better solution for Leeds IMHO

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Oops, a case of premature interpolation above, I fear!

[/quote]

That''s the problem with a small squad.

No Backups for the defence, nothing half decent for midfield and the forwards are all on strike waiting for the time and half chances[:D]

I always think experience is far more vital in defence Beaus. It''s like a Bellamy can come in to the side as a raw teenager and keep doing unexpected things in order to score goals or make goals but a big quality for a defender is discipline and positioning even pre-empting what a young Bellamy may do. These qualities come with experience. Of course you don''t get experience without playing games so it''s a bit of a catch 22. I would say that Spillane and Norwich City have both benefited from his season at Luton and we can thank Glen Roeder for that. Bearing that in mind my choice for right back on Saturday would have been Russell with Hughes and Smith in the midfield. But now I think Russell has to play midfield and so we are left with young Korey or Francomb at right back and I wish them well.

Their saving grace will be that if they let their man inside and he scores The Doc will get the blame[;)]

I always think experience is far more vital in defence Beaus. It''s like a Bellamy can come in to the side as a raw teenager and keep doing unexpected things in order to score goals or make goals but a big quality for a defender is discipline and positioning even pre-empting what a young Bellamy may do. These qualities come with experience. Of course you don''t get experience without playing games so it''s a bit of a catch 22. I would say that Spillane and Norwich City have both benefited from his season at Luton and we can thank Glen Roeder for that. Bearing that in mind my choice for right back on Saturday would have been Russell with Hughes and Smith in the midfield. But now I think Russell has to play midfield and so we are left with young Korey or Francomb at right back and I wish them well.

Their saving grace will be that if they let their man inside and he scores The Doc will get the blame[;)]

[/quote]

What about changing the system slightly with 3 center backs. Using Smith on the right of midfield, Lappin on the left. Drury or Stephens could fill the third center position and this would not negate Smiths active midfield contribution.

Good thoughts Butler. But maybe that would cause more disruption and we were going along nicely the way we were. Let''s hope Hoolahan and Holt cause Carlisle so many problems they don''t have time to go down the left wing. [:)]

Good thoughts Butler. But maybe that would cause more disruption and we were going along nicely the way we were. Let''s hope Hoolahan and Holt cause Carlisle so many problems they don''t have time to go down the left wing. [:)]

[/quote]

Ahmen to that!

It is only Wednesday, in Roeders timescale we could have 3 loanee fullbacks by Saturday. All crap.

Think someone said on another thread that Semi started training again monday so should play on saturday. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.