Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

TRUE AMBITION - LONG TERM

"YC" What about the possibility of breeding a range of super football kids from the right genetic sources Norfolk! of course and instead of having stars and other astral objects rotating round the new born babies cot with multi-coloured lights etc. You could have instead a plethora of Norwich football memorabillia with music and on the ball city to the tune of "Rock-a-bye-baby" and of course Nurses dressed in yellow & green. The wall decor would of course have scenes, depicting the past great Norwich teams with special notice about the cup success and of course a big mention of the raid on Europe and its near success. Of course the baby carriage must be in yellow and green and the pram rattle must be in the shape of a football. The creche that the fortunate infant attends will of course have a biased input of football information to learn from, eventuallynat the ripe old age of two he should have automatic entrance to the Norwich football academy, to emerge at 7 years of age to then qualify for your Brazillian academy. Best wishes Beelsie

Well Yank I think that the World has moved on in the last five years, mergers of sporting clubs doesn''t really work as has been found out with Rugby League and Aussie Rules in Australia, Old fans do not want change, do not want to give up old rivalries, want to live with past glories.

The way forward is to build a new club that will create new loyalties and be free of old debts both financial and on the field. Norwich and Ipswich Football Clubs should be allowed to die and slowly sink out of the Football League to be replaced by a Club centrally located in terms of transport for the East Anglian Counties of Cambridge, Suffolk and Norfolk,

The Stadium needs to be built on the back of a public loan floated and guaranteed by the respective County Councils with Trustee status.The Club needs to be owned by a substatial public company which does not have to have links with the area but wishes to promote its name and product world wide.Support needs to come from the Univesities with the creation of football scolarships as are handed out in the US.

Whilst negotiations, planning, building is taking place the team can be gaining promtion thru the leagues and with proper funding and support it should not take more than six years to achieve this. There are many examples Doncaster, Wigan and Hull spring quickly to mind..

Needs a group of men and women with contacts and particular skills to put it together. People who want to build a new focus for East Anglia.

Interestingly, back in the early 90''s, Robert Maxwell wanted to merge Reading and Oxford United and call the new team, based somewhere inbetween both towns, the "Thames Valley Royals".

It never got off the ground as both sets of supporters were totally against the idea, Maxwell didn''t, couldn''t, and wouldn''t understand why, he thought it would bring success -both teams were struggling at the time-and said that fans concerned were ignorant and ungrateful!

Both clubs have taken on quite diverse paths since then, Reading have played -and done well- in the Premiership, and are a good bet to get there again this season. They are financially stable, own their own ground and have a generous Chairman.

Oxford United, from winning the League Cup in the season after us have plummeted down and out of the leagues and are now in the old Conference.

But I bet the fans of even Oxford would prefer their own club and own identity, rather than have been swallowed up and lost with Maxwell''s proposal all that time ago!

And the rivalry between the two clubs -if there is one even?- doesn''t come close to that of Norwich and Ipswich which may be dwarfed, size wise and reputation wise, by some of the great derbies and club rivalries all over the world -442 Mag have done an excellent series on them, which included ours with Ipswich-but we are both clubs with a fierce sense of independance and local pride, that would be lost with a merger and then, what would be the point-no-one would support the club in question as no-one would belong.

Ground sharing is a seemingly lesser evil, but, for the same reasons, it could make all the sense in the world to do so-but it wouldn''t be a good idea and wouldn''t work. Logic and common sense doesn''t apply to football, sometimes thats good, sometimes thats not so good, but its football and its why we are Norwich and Norwich alone, no  matter what.

No suprise that it`s board supporters who write ridiculous posts advocating merging with the scum......

As City supporters we can count ourselves very lucky that we are in the position to realistically hope to compete at the highest level in British football.  A captive market of over 1 million people with no real competition from other clubs or major sports, in the regional capital with a top 10 retail centre in the entire country which brings people flocking in from miles around.  Even Doncaster stated that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets per week in the promotion and Prem seasons- how many clubs can say that?

Obviously with the mismanagement of the Prem and transfer income in recent years we need a hefty injection of cash to get back on the right track again, but there are not too many clubs with such obvious potential as ours and these things don`t go unnoticed- as Mr.Cullum stated "What a fan-base....".

Man alive, that''s impressive! I don''t even remember replying to this but i appear to be on here. Can anyone else remember any other posts from FIVE YEARS ago that make predictions for 5 years hence? I''m surprised so many of us are all still here! I can''t decide if that''s a bit sad or something to be proud of!!

As for merging the two clubs, i think it''s a great idea. Provided they move to CR, demolish poorman road, change their colours to yellow and green, let sheepsh***er and magilton go and give us Evan''s millions.

YC understands plenty about Football and football fans. I''ve not always agreed with him but he speaks with a rationale that is beyond most teen dreamers on here

Of course its a possibility, in fact within 20 years I''d say a likelihood. Many clubs will face this dilemma both home and abroad.

Why?

Money

Money runs football, everything else is secondary, Satellite TV has seen to that.

50-60,000 every week and the financial clout to challenge? What is the choice? Cullum? Carrow Road would be a shopping mall inside 10 years

[quote user="IBA"]YC understands plenty about Football and football fans. I''ve not always agreed with him but he speaks with a rationale that is beyond most teen dreamers on here Of course its a possibility, in fact within 20 years I''d say a likelihood. Many clubs will face this dilemma both home and abroad. Why? Money Money runs football, everything else is secondary, Satellite TV has seen to that. 50-60,000 every week and the financial clout to challenge? What is the choice? Cullum? Carrow Road would be a shopping mall inside 10 years[/quote]

Yet again I Beat Atalanta, I ask you the question, which you ignore just like Ralph Wright-strange that?

Why would a lifelong fan want to sell the ground?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I know we are all excited now at how well our team is doing so I fully appreciate the timing on this thought may not be well received ( either by Norwich or Ipswich fans ) but here goes.
This message board is obviously a conduit to at least good fun and possibly constructive suggestions on how our team needs to show ambition. We all know what our ambition is for this season and perhaps next, although even next season is probably only in the planning stages. How ambitious do we want to be over the next 10-20 years. Do we want to participate on the European stage? Let''s take a look at Norwich and Ipswich over the past 50 years or so.
Number of times in the top division during past 50 seasons:
Norwich - 20 times
Ipswich - 26 times

Number of times in 12 seasons of the Premiership:
Norwich - 3 times
Ipswich - 5 times

While Ipswich has performed better overall in both categories and obviously have won a league championship one could objectively argue that both clubs have done reasonably well given the size of the city/town. However, if you were drawing the performance on a chart you would have to conclude that,if anything, it is becoming more difficult for these two teams to continue to achieve a consistent role in the top division. Indeed, given what has transpired during more recent times it is becoming increasingly difficult for even long-standing top division clubs to maintain a competitve role against the very top clubs in the country. None of this is new to us, of course, it''s just that there does not seem to be a lot of discussion on the table as to what to do about it. I BELIEVE THAT THIS REGION OF EAST ANGLIA DESERVES TO PLAY ON THE TOP STAGE OF FOOTBALL. We are not going to achieve that in all likelihood by squabbling over which player we can afford to bring in ( or not ) for several hundred thousand pounds. In the spirit of inviting good thoughts from all and sundry allow me to make a proposal which can then be critiqued, added to or replaced by even better thoughts.
I propose that the boards from both clubs form an exploratory team on the feasibility of a merger in the longer-term, encompassing a desire to build a 60-70,000 fan stadium to house ( for want of a name ) the East Anglian Crusaders. As all traffic planning is now aimed at diverting cars around cities and towns, selecting a site halfway between the two present clubs seems reasonable to ensure no more than a 1 hour journey for most fans. The stadium could be planned to house and be adjacent to other attractions so that there is a constant draw of people/income. Thoughts please?
For those of you that may doubt it, I bleed yellow and green BUT I fear the future trend line may not be kind to us over the longer term if, and only if, we have a desire to be really competitive in the top division ongoing. If that is not our objective, then there is nothing wrong with that either but then we should be realistic as to what can achieved over the longer term.[/quote]merge....foooooooooooooooook off

And I Beat Atalanta has never refused to answer a question

Your fantasy about Ralf is yours alone, although Its odd that Pete never answered the question about multiple usernames dont you think? A question that I posed..... not you.

Its an easy question that you should address to him regarding ISP addresses. I did. And got banned.

Though I should add mon ami that I dont get email notifications of replies.... so if you have a direct question then PM or mail me

I would rather struggle forever than merge with Ipswich. Being a Norwich City supporter is part of my identity and it''s part of being from Norfolk and not Suffolk, I first went to matches over 26 years ago as a boy with my mum the club is a integral part of my life (sad as that may be) and I feel proud of the high momments in our clubs history, even if there has been a large amount of pain along the way. I for one am not willing to sell my soul in the vain pursuit of success. You might as well say why dont England and France merge to win a world cup, we might win it but in the end it would be a hollow victory. The club itself is far more important than the trophies we win.

[quote user="IBA"]And I Beat Atalanta has never refused to answer a question Your fantasy about Ralf is yours alone, although Its odd that Pete never answered the question about multiple usernames dont you think? A question that I posed..... not you. Its an easy question that you should address to him regarding ISP addresses. I did. And got banned.[/quote]

Pete sent me a PM about it, ask him if you like, so i would get your facts straight first.

So Cullum would sell the ground for a profit would he? So what makes you so sure our potless board wouldnt do the same?

Says it all really when you admit to getting banned for being a prat, but just created another username.

Oh andas for you never ignoring questions-i think you will find its taken you a whole week to come up with your well detailed response of "profit". Very well thought out.

both city and ipswich have decent attendances - and compare well with teams in the prem, and even in the champs,,,its about getting speculative investment into the club,,,its the economic model that got us promoted, but was unilaterally dumped by the board with the ''charlton prudence with ambition bs'' ---

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]both city and ipswich have decent attendances - and compare well with teams in the prem, and even in the champs,,,

its about getting speculative investment into the club,,,its the economic model that got us promoted, but was unilaterally dumped by the board with the ''charlton prudence with ambition bs'' ---[/quote]

Lucky, if you''re giving the economic model credit for getting us promoted then the stronger economics available to West Ham and Sunderland that season, who with significantly greater economic advantage and attendances far greater than we had, with both having enjoyed the economic benefit of several consecutive seasons of Premiership participation before 2003/04, could not match Norwich that season by a healthy margin, and failed to gain promotion. If there was a magic formula then those with stronger ecomic capability would just press the button and execute it, but it''s not that simple. Ask Spurs this season.

The prospect of Ipswich joining forces with Norwich makes me rather sick. Would Manchester City and United fans be happy with a ''Manchester''? Would Wednesday and United fans be happy with a ''Sheffield''. No of course not, and I would never forgive anyone for deciding to demolish Norwich city to form a new team with Ipswich, just for greater success.

We could put NORwich and ipsWICH together and get one club caled NORWICH ?

Mad Idea just insane, Id rather give up any interest in football altogether and start supporting Man Utd 

Well, well.

I had no idea that the termites would take so long to travel from Yankee''s brain to Bobert''s brain. I mean, 2003 to 2008. Some sort of record that.

Now, what''s the betting? Did they take longer to get out of Yankee''s head or into Bobert''s head?

Answers on a post card to chief judge nutty nigel who is reputedly well experienced in such matters.

The winners all get a hot pukka pie each outside the Barclay before the Ipswich match.

But I guess that''s what happens when you switch from fish and chips in The Pink''un to hot dogs with everything..................but then what excuse can Bobert have? Dear oh dear, the mind boggles........[:$]

OTBC

Image:Mastotermes darwiniensis.jpgImage:Mastotermes darwiniensis.jpg

From Yankee''s brain                                       From Bobert''s brain

See. They''re identical.[:D]

QED.

if we do merger with them down the road would take the start of our name nor and put it with the last bit of there nane wich and out it together and you have got NORWICH.do you like the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]both city and ipswich have decent attendances - and compare well with teams in the prem, and even in the champs,,,its about getting speculative investment into the club,,,its the economic model that got us promoted, but was unilaterally dumped by the board with the ''charlton prudence with ambition bs'' ---[/quote]

Lucky, if you''re giving the economic model credit for getting us promoted then the stronger economics available to West Ham and Sunderland that season, who with significantly greater economic advantage and attendances far greater than we had, with both having enjoyed the economic benefit of several consecutive seasons of Premiership participation before 2003/04, could not match Norwich that season by a healthy margin, and failed to gain promotion. If there was a magic formula then those with stronger ecomic capability would just press the button and execute it, but it''s not that simple. Ask Spurs this season.

[/quote]i take your point YC - but its obvious that some teams will always overperform and some will underperform, as is the case of the season you''re referring too - and clearly its rational that its not just about money, other factors come into it as well - but over the course of a season, the most successful teams are the biggest spenders and always will be...there are always variations upon this rule, but to suggest the abberations hold greater sway is simply untrue - i mean, these days even neil donny admits that NCFC struggles to compete with other champs clubs with rich benefactors - he''s rationally given up suggesting otherwise (in view that WBA, hull and stoke all spent more than they received in income to gain promotion last season) - such is the unequal battle we face these days, despite having extra income from our catering/office rental wheezes and the 3rd highest attendances in the divison,,,however, the wheel may be turning back towards sensible economics, in view that despite takeover speculation, no person/consortium has taken over the clubs for sale in the prem, such as newcastle or west ham, and too a lesser extent pompy and liverpool---as for good ole NCFC ---who knows???  looks like the credit crunch/worldwide recession is having an effect...i know it must irk your free-market sensibilities to see cash rich footy club owners distorting the market by investing speculative cash into their footy clubs to ''buy'' success or otherwise, and i agree with this stance, but the reality is that NCFC must also follow this route to be competitive, and indeed, this approach helped us to win promotion to the prem, and its rejection saw us relegated imo,,,regretfully, economic events have conspired to injure delia''s exit from NCFC - but logically, the best interest of NCFC would be served by a cash-rich benefactor buying the club - because when the cookie crumbles, pragmatism and adaptability are probably better virtues to have in the locker than idealism alone?<>

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well, well.

I had no idea that the termites would take so long to travel from Yankee''s brain to Bobert''s brain. I mean, 2003 to 2008. Some sort of record that.

Now, what''s the betting? Did they take longer to get out of Yankee''s head or into Bobert''s head?

Answers on a post card to chief judge nutty nigel who is reputedly well experienced in such matters.

The winners all get a hot pukka pie each outside the Barclay before the Ipswich match.

But I guess that''s what happens when you switch from fish and chips in The Pink''un to hot dogs with everything..................but then what excuse can Bobert have? Dear oh dear, the mind boggles........[:$]

OTBC

Image:Mastotermes darwiniensis.jpgImage:Mastotermes darwiniensis.jpg

From Yankee''s brain                                       From Bobert''s brain

See. They''re identical.[:D]

QED.

[/quote]

Yo''re beginning to bug me Bly.