Sign in to follow this  
Simon Lappin, King Of Spain

Last night's football league show.

Is there anyone else on the board who saw the football league show last night and thought Mark Chapman and Leroy Rosenior in particular were absolute mugs? Calling Hoolahan an "old fashioned winger"? and then spouting some vague cliche about Norwich winning because they had "that little bit of extra quality", it was the most lazy, pointless piece of analysis I think i''ve ever seen, by two men who clearly would rather have been anywhere else. I never thought i''d say this but I really missed Steve Claridge, who they made look astute and erudite in comparison. The only way that program could have been any worse is if they had Fabian "Coolio" Wilnis or John Wark as pundits.

The game itself wasn''t bad, a great away win and, in my biased opinion fully deserved, even if the goal was ever so slightly fortuitous. We played some nice passing football at times, looked pretty solid at the back (except for one Rio Ferdinand moment from Askou) and very dangerous on the break, particularly with Chris Martin and Wes linking well together. In many ways the perfect away performance and given the quality of some of the chances we fashioned we should have scored 2 or three more. Incomparison all Carlisle could offer was hoofball, a couple of dangerous set pieces and some long shots, none of which really looked like they  troubled Forster unduly.

Just a note to Lambert on one thing to work on after last night''s game; give Korey some shooting practice!!!! Love the kid, I think he''s one of the most promising player''s we''ve seen come through the youth ranks in some time, but he had at least two clear chances yesterday that he should have put away and against better opposition his profligacy could have cost us dear.

One final point relating not just to last night but the past few weeks; I am really starting to like Chris Martin, he looks like he''s coming into his own in the role that Lambert plays him and I am loving the aggression he and indeed Holt bring to the team. He really knows how to get under the skin of opposition defenders and appears to also have the bottle and physicality to back himself in a scrap when defender''s temper''s boil over, as they did a couple of times yesterday ( I guess that''s why he''s rather unpopular with the publicans of Beccles). I thought he did excellently against Carlisle, as he has done since he cemented his place in the starting line up; played with pace, power and intelligence, looking particularly dangerous on the counter-attack and deserved a goal to cap an excellent performance. Really hoping he can maintain or even improve on his current form, as with him, Wes and Horse developing an excellent understanding, it looks like we have potentially the best front three in the league, it should make monday night''s game very interesting.

Bring on Leeds!

OTBC!!!

Nice one WHMF. Agree re Claridge. I think he has had some media training and he has improved greatly. The presentation of the show last night was poor but fair do''s to the BBC, they have been giving us good coverage.

The editing of the game showed us favourably I thought. Most unusual as it has always seemed that in the past they have bent over backwards to ensure they left out any good moves and efforts on goal!!

I too have been surprised by Martin. Love his aggression and it seems he has found some pace from somewhere. He has quick feet which is a great asset for a goalscorer.

Finally, Lambert and Culverhouse have done a marvellous job to improve our players. Russell, Docherty and Drury immediately spring to mind.

Top coaching and man management

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nice one WHMF. Agree re Claridge. I think he has had some media training and he has improved greatly. The presentation of the show last night was poor but fair do''s to the BBC, they have been giving us good coverage. The editing of the game showed us favourably I thought. Most unusual as it has always seemed that in the past they have bent over backwards to ensure they left out any good moves and efforts on goal!! I too have been surprised by Martin. Love his aggression and it seems he has found some pace from somewhere. He has quick feet which is a great asset for a goalscorer. Finally, Lambert and Culverhouse have done a marvellous job to improve our players. Russell, Docherty and Drury immediately spring to mind. Top coaching and man management[/quote]

That''s true re: the BBC actually putting the programme on, they didn''t even bother for the last international break which really p*ssed me off, guess there''s no pleasing some people is there? :)

Thought Russell looked very good today, from the higlights I saw anyway, hopefully if we continue to play the way we have then he''ll stay. I''ve slated him in the past, particularly when it looked like he wanted out, but well done to him for showing the commitment and professionalism he has, even if he does still want to leave in January.

I am trying not to praise the managment too much yet, just because I remember the unbeaten run we went on when Roeder arrived two seasons ago and how that ended. Guess the difference this time is that Lambert, whether through choice or necessity has used the players at his disposal to effect the improvement, which appears to suggest his man management skills are far superior to those of Mr Rodent and Mr Gunn. One thing I do love is that with so many youth players in and around the squad it really feels like a team that we as fans can call our own. Every player on the pitch looks like they want to be there and give 100% for the team, that''s all we can really ask for as fans, but it''s so refreshing compared to the dross we had to endure last season.

I was really impressed with some of our passing shown in the highlights and it was nice to be the top story. Those two men on the show also said Hoolahan was slow!!!

[quote user="Helen"]I was really impressed with some of our passing shown in the highlights and it was nice to be the top story. Those two men on the show also said Hoolahan was slow!!![/quote]

Well I think they said he''s not the quickest or doesn''t have that much pace etc..... Wouldn''t necessarily disagree with them on that point tbh

Yer but did you here the email from a Carlisle fan saying it isn''t fair that the big teams like Norwich get favoured by officials.

The FL show is a 100% improvement on ITV''s  The Chumpionship. I''m happy to see that disappear into the bowels of ''never to be seen again''.

Non matching quotes again

Here we go again. Lambert''s man management skills better than Gunn. For F''s sake how many times does it have to be said - you cannot compare Lambert with Gunn. Gunn was sacked after one league game with the players he had assembled. His sacking was already a done deal. he had the best pre-season with HIS players for many years. He experienced a one-off against Colchester but had the man management skills to re-group and re-motivate his players and days later they went to Yeovil scored 4 and conceded zero goals. Compare the players from that match with the players that Lambert is now using to similar great effect - difference was that Hoolahan played against Yeovil but Lambert stubbornly refused to play him in crucial league fixtures until he finally buckled under the pressure to play what everybody else (apart from the usual idiots on here) knew to be our best and most inspirational player. In addition, it was Gunn not Lambert that brought back Spillane and Martin and gave the Academy players their chances, an example set by Gunn and wisely followed by Lambert. Lambert has clearly inherited from Gunn and great mix of players and Holt was an inspired signing by Gunn. Lambert has sated publicly that he is very happy with his squad and has set the objective of promotion with them. Compare Gunn''s inheritance from Roeder with Lambert''s inheritance from Gunn - well you can''t because there really is no comparison. Well doen to Lambert. So far so good, but for F''s sake stop comparing him to Gunn who was only given one league game with his own players before being unceremoniously heaved out because of somebody else''s agenda.

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]Yer but did you here the email from a Carlisle fan saying it isn''t fair that the big teams like Norwich get favoured by officials.[/quote]Haha! Yep, heard that. Unreal given we''ve been treated as harshly (and on many occasions unfairly) by most of the refs we''ve had officiating our games in the last two years.Stupid comment from that fan indeed.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Non matching quotes again Here we go again. Lambert''s man management skills better than Gunn. For F''s sake how many times does it have to be said - you cannot compare Lambert with Gunn. Gunn was sacked after one league game with the players he had assembled. His sacking was already a done deal. he had the best pre-season with HIS players for many years. He experienced a one-off against Colchester but had the man management skills to re-group and re-motivate his players and days later they went to Yeovil scored 4 and conceded zero goals. Compare the players from that match with the players that Lambert is now using to similar great effect - difference was that Hoolahan played against Yeovil but Lambert stubbornly refused to play him in crucial league fixtures until he finally buckled under the pressure to play what everybody else (apart from the usual idiots on here) knew to be our best and most inspirational player. In addition, it was Gunn not Lambert that brought back Spillane and Martin and gave the Academy players their chances, an example set by Gunn and wisely followed by Lambert. Lambert has clearly inherited from Gunn and great mix of players and Holt was an inspired signing by Gunn. Lambert has sated publicly that he is very happy with his squad and has set the objective of promotion with them. Compare Gunn''s inheritance from Roeder with Lambert''s inheritance from Gunn - well you can''t because there really is no comparison. Well doen to Lambert. So far so good, but for F''s sake stop comparing him to Gunn who was only given one league game with his own players before being unceremoniously heaved out because of somebody else''s agenda.[/quote]

You''re entitled to your opinion Bob....But, what about the 19 games before May the Turd 2009?...6 defeats, wasn''t it?

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Non matching quotes again

Here we go again. Lambert''s man management skills better than Gunn. For F''s sake how many times does it have to be said - you cannot compare Lambert with Gunn. Gunn was sacked after one league game with the players he had assembled. His sacking was already a done deal. he had the best pre-season with HIS players for many years. He experienced a one-off against Colchester but had the man management skills to re-group and re-motivate his players and days later they went to Yeovil scored 4 and conceded zero goals. Compare the players from that match with the players that Lambert is now using to similar great effect - difference was that Hoolahan played against Yeovil but Lambert stubbornly refused to play him in crucial league fixtures until he finally buckled under the pressure to play what everybody else (apart from the usual idiots on here) knew to be our best and most inspirational player. In addition, it was Gunn not Lambert that brought back Spillane and Martin and gave the Academy players their chances, an example set by Gunn and wisely followed by Lambert. Lambert has clearly inherited from Gunn and great mix of players and Holt was an inspired signing by Gunn. Lambert has sated publicly that he is very happy with his squad and has set the objective of promotion with them. Compare Gunn''s inheritance from Roeder with Lambert''s inheritance from Gunn - well you can''t because there really is no comparison. Well doen to Lambert. So far so good, but for F''s sake stop comparing him to Gunn who was only given one league game with his own players before being unceremoniously heaved out because of somebody else''s agenda.[/quote]Tool.

Depends what you want to believe about Hoolahan Bob. There are some who say that he was not playing because of his incident with some idiot fans.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]The FL show is a 100% improvement on ITV''s  The Chumpionship. I''m happy to see that disappear into the bowels of ''never to be seen again''.[/quote]

Couldn''t stand the show but hated that Smith twaat. Smugness, I hope he ends up in Japan presenting a programme there and is never seen on British TV.

"Is there anyone else on the board who saw the football league show last night and thought Mark Chapman and Leroy Rosenior in particular were absolute mugs? Calling Hoolahan an "old fashioned winger"? and then spouting some vague cliche about Norwich winning because they had "that little bit of extra quality", it was the most lazy, pointless piece of analysis I think i''ve ever seen, by two men who clearly would rather have been anywhere else. I never thought i''d say this but I really missed Steve Claridge, who they made look astute and erudite in comparison. The only way that program could have been any worse is if they had Fabian "Coolio" Wilnis or John Wark as pundits.

The game itself wasn''t bad, a great away win and, in my biased opinion fully deserved, even if the goal was ever so slightly fortuitous. We played some nice passing football at times, looked pretty solid at the back (except for one Rio Ferdinand moment from Askou) and very dangerous on the break, particularly with Chris Martin and Wes linking well together. In many ways the perfect away performance and given the quality of some of the chances we fashioned we should have scored 2 or three more. Incomparison all Carlisle could offer was hoofball, a couple of dangerous set pieces and some long shots, none of which really looked like they  troubled Forster unduly.

Just a note to Lambert on one thing to work on after last night''s game; give Korey some shooting practice!!!! Love the kid, I think he''s one of the most promising player''s we''ve seen come through the youth ranks in some time, but he had at least two clear chances yesterday that he should have put away and against better opposition his profligacy could have cost us dear.

One final point relating not just to last night but the past few weeks; I am really starting to like Chris Martin, he looks like he''s coming into his own in the role that Lambert plays him and I am loving the aggression he and indeed Holt bring to the team. He really knows how to get under the skin of opposition defenders and appears to also have the bottle and physicality to back himself in a scrap when defender''s temper''s boil over, as they did a couple of times yesterday ( I guess that''s why he''s rather unpopular with the publicans of Beccles). I thought he did excellently against Carlisle, as he has done since he cemented his place in the starting line up; played with pace, power and intelligence, looking particularly dangerous on the counter-attack and deserved a goal to cap an excellent performance. Really hoping he can maintain or even improve on his current form, as with him, Wes and Horse developing an excellent understanding, it looks like we have potentially the best front three in the league, it should make monday night''s game very interesting.

Bring on Leeds!

OTBC!!!"

Agree with pretty much all of this!  Martin looks impressive when he gets going with the ball in front of him and has a great shot.  Just thought his movement when he didn''t have the ball wasn''t so good and tended to sit on his heels and then take time to get going.  Once or twice he had acres of space to run into created by their back four not coming out in a line but was watching the ball rather than looking to get free.  In fairness I felt that movement off the ball was a weakness throughout the game and when we did get it right we tore them to pieces.  It''s great to see us persevere with Martin as long-term he looks a real goal threat and he was involved with a lot of our best moments yesterday. As always, it''s great to see the young''uns coming through and doing well.

The football league show is utter garbage in my opinion, too much talking, they should just stick to showing highlights only, most people don''t want to listen to some half-arsed analysis at 11:30 on a Saturday night. I really don''t think there''s any improvement on ITV''s championship show because there''s too much talking from a couple of third rate pundits, followed by a half decent piece of eye candy reading e-mails from a bunch of deluded fans, plus the camera''s are zoomed in too close.4/10 for me

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]The football league show is utter garbage in my opinion, too much talking, they should just stick to showing highlights only, most people don''t want to listen to some half-arsed analysis at 11:30 on a Saturday night. I really don''t think there''s any improvement on ITV''s championship show because there''s too much talking from a couple of third rate pundits, followed by a half decent piece of eye candy reading e-mails from a bunch of deluded fans, plus the camera''s are zoomed in too close.

4/10 for me
[/quote]

It''s a poor man''s match of the day and it shows, however I don''t think that Manish Bhashin and Steve Claridge are that bad, it''s just when they resort to the B team of mediocre ex-players like that mug Leroy Rosenior and z-list radio djs that it becomes really poor. Got to agree with you on the deluded fans point, most of the comments make them sound like they haven''t even reached puberty yet and tbh why do I give two shits what most of them think anyway? Remove that section and show longer highlights I say!

To Mr Bob Franklin, I agree that Gunn did a pretty good job of recruiting players (as he should have, that was his job before he became manager) in the off season, however he did bring in some duds like Gill, Whaley and arguably Maric, my point about man management refers more to the 19 games he had in charge at the end of last season where he completely failed to motivate the team to save itself from an ignominious relgation. The fact remains that he shouldn''t have been given the job in May and although I defended him on here many times, I like many who supported him was pretty relieved when McNally acted decisively to appoint Lambert, who is showing himself to be a very promising manager, much more so than Gunn ever was. However as I said in my original post I don''t want to give the new management too much kudos yet, the job is not even half done and we can only really judge Lamberts sucess or failure in May. What has impressed me is the spirit and intensity with which we have played under Lambert and that has, I believe been a significant change from the Gunn era. Additionally it would appear to me that Lambert actually has a plan b and isn''t afraid to make decisive substitutions if his initial tactics are not paying off, this is also something which IMO Gunn appeared incapable of doing during our descent into League 1. 

With regard to your comments on Hoolahan I agree up to a point; I was among the few who were calling for him to be reinstated after Lambert had dropped him, however there were obviously things going on behind closed doors i.e. the middle finger incident, which may have influenced team selection. Furthermore as some have said on here Lambert needed to steady the ship with a more solid, simple formation before trialling the 4 3 3, 4 3 1 2, or whatever you want to call it with Wes in the hole behing the strikers. After a period of relative stability he brought him back into the team and it has paid dividends in performances, goals scored and points on the board. I would also remark that whilst yes, Gunn did play Hoolahan, he persisted in playing him out of position on the left wing where we were unlikely to ever see the best from him, credit must be given to Lambert for taking the risk of playing him in behind the two strikers.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Non matching quotes again Here we go again. Lambert''s man management skills better than Gunn. For F''s sake how many times does it have to be said - you cannot compare Lambert with Gunn. Gunn was sacked after one league game with the players he had assembled. His sacking was already a done deal. he had the best pre-season with HIS players for many years. He experienced a one-off against Colchester but had the man management skills to re-group and re-motivate his players and days later they went to Yeovil scored 4 and conceded zero goals. Compare the players from that match with the players that Lambert is now using to similar great effect - difference was that Hoolahan played against Yeovil but Lambert stubbornly refused to play him in crucial league fixtures until he finally buckled under the pressure to play what everybody else (apart from the usual idiots on here) knew to be our best and most inspirational player. In addition, it was Gunn not Lambert that brought back Spillane and Martin and gave the Academy players their chances, an example set by Gunn and wisely followed by Lambert. Lambert has clearly inherited from Gunn and great mix of players and Holt was an inspired signing by Gunn. Lambert has sated publicly that he is very happy with his squad and has set the objective of promotion with them. Compare Gunn''s inheritance from Roeder with Lambert''s inheritance from Gunn - well you can''t because there really is no comparison. Well doen to Lambert. So far so good, but for F''s sake stop comparing him to Gunn who was only given one league game with his own players before being unceremoniously heaved out because of somebody else''s agenda.[/quote]

You''re entitled to your opinion Bob....But, what about the 19 games before May the Turd 2009?...6 defeats, wasn''t it?

[/quote]

That''s not Bob''s point in this particular post though Mellow. Bob is saying that Lambert shouldn''t be compared to Gunn because the Team Gunn inherited from Roeder was P1$$ poor compared to the team Lambert inherited from Gunn for the job in hand. Gunn was given 20 games in charge and yes his win percentage was something shocking like 26%... But Bob''s point was it was only 1 league game with the team that he put together so there should not be comparisons.

Eye candy? I wouldn''t call her that but i have seen far better and with far more knowledge than she has about the game.Lets face it any tart with tits can read emails,it aint rocket science.

I dont think its the shows faut about the cameras being too zoomed in, most football league grounds dont have the good vantage points you get in the bigger grounds to place the cameras

I am only going to say this once, as it will defeat the purpose of my post if I repeat it. The best way to deal with Bob Franklin''s posts is to ignore him, he is clearly allowed on the computer in the mental asylum he has been comitted to. Once he realise he is talking to himself and repeating the same post 250 times, he will soon get bored.

I''d agree that the Football League show is a bit of a poor man''s MOTD, but IMO what the beeb has done is about as good as you can expect...and it is still about 100 times better than the effort that was ITV''s The Championship which had far too many pointless articles/interviews and 15 mins of adverts for each hour of broadcast.

Perhaps the e-mail slot is a bit pointless, but it does do something that none of the other programmes have done and give the supporters a chance to have a say.