Sign in to follow this  
Here We Go

Thanks Gunny

Lambert will become a managerial legend at Norwich. He will prove to be better than Worthington...... remember, you heard it here first. [:P] 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="dizgoo"][quote user="paul moy"]It was Nigel Worthington that signed Holt.  [/quote] Bryan Hamilton had lined it all up before getting sacked, that''s why I put the "by all accounts" line in.[/quote]

That is quite right. Indeed, if I remember correctly, a fee had been agreed with the Scottish club (Kilmarnock?) and Holt walked in through the front door at Carrow Road to discuss personal terms just as Hamilton was being ushered out the back way clutching his P45!

When Worthington had got his feet under the desk he resurrected the deal a few weeks later. But it was Hamilton, whatever his many faults as a manager, who had wanted to sign Holt, so he has to take the credit for the eventual acquisition.[/quote]

Hamilton made a couple of good signings - Paul McVeigh and Nigel Worthington. Of course Worthy would have known all about the Holt deal because he was at the club the whole time.

It''s strange how players often remain targets for certain clubs even when the managers move on. Worthy tried his damndest to sign Alan Lee from Rotherham but before that I seem to remember Mike Walker trying to sign him. Gunn eventually got him here on loan last season. Likewise Worthy was a fan of Grant Holt I seem to remember.

i have to agree with you , gunn was left  huge gaps in the squad . yet i think this was a big ask  to fill the gaps with the silly budget he had.

some have not worked out ie theo .. but others have been outstanding holt ,askou, so we do have to give gunn some credit for that . gunns tactical knowledge is poor but i feel we should have given him the job as scout as i feel he would have still been valuable to the club and i feel he was treated very unfairly by the board. lambert is taking all the credit and i feel gunn should take some credit for the work he put into norwich city .

none of the players have been signed by lambert and gunn should have been given longer , it was a new team and players need time to gell which has proven to be the case in our situation .

[quote user="singing canary"]

i have to agree with you , gunn was left  huge gaps in the squad . yet i think this was a big ask  to fill the gaps with the silly budget he had.

some have not worked out ie theo .. but others have been outstanding holt ,askou, so we do have to give gunn some credit for that . gunns tactical knowledge is poor but i feel we should have given him the job as scout as i feel he would have still been valuable to the club and i feel he was treated very unfairly by the board. lambert is taking all the credit and i feel gunn should take some credit for the work he put into norwich city .

none of the players have been signed by lambert and gunn should have been given longer , it was a new team and players need time to gell which has proven to be the case in our situation .

[/quote]

Thank him by all means, but motivation and tactical knowledge(ability) are not high on BG''s CV,and don''t forget the big influence of Culverhouse, who I feel sure has much to do with our new "tightness" in defence.

It''s not just the players, although it helps, it''s the overall team behind them and how the players  are used.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

Thank him by all means, but motivation and tactical knowledge(ability) are not high on BG''s CV,and don''t forget the big influence of Culverhouse, who I feel sure has much to do with our new "tightness" in defence.

It''s not just the players, although it helps, it''s the overall team behind them and how the players  are used.

[/quote]

I think this is a really important point.  However poor our recent managers have been the backroom staff don''t seem to have been up to much either.  I agree with you about Culverhouse - looks like he knows what he''s doing especially with the defensive side of things.  I suspect that if Lambert had come in on his own and kept everyone else still here we might not have progressed so quickly.

[quote user="paul moy"]Lambert will become a managerial legend at Norwich. He will prove to be better than Worthington...... remember, you heard it here first. [:P] [/quote]

Totally and completely agree with PM but i hope Nutty does not read the post as this thread  will turn into fifteen pages and about three hundred posts with Nutty contributing half of them trying to convince us Worthy was better than Lambert will ever be.

[quote user="Here We Go"]

..... You might not be the greatest manager the game has seen, but you do know how to scout good players.

With the likes of askou, holt, hughes all turning out to be gems and for bringing some of the younger players into contention

Well done.

[/quote]

Yeah good point ... not forgetting; Whaley, Gill, Tudor-Jones, Maric, Killen, Carney, Theoklitos ....

If I signed 12 random players I''m sure at least three of them would have turned out to be good signings. What a stupid thread.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Lambert will become a managerial legend at Norwich. He will prove to be better than Worthington...... remember, you heard it here first. [:P] [/quote]

Totally and completely agree with PM but i hope Nutty does not read the post as this thread  will turn into fifteen pages and about three hundred posts with Nutty contributing half of them trying to convince us Worthy was better than Lambert will ever be.

[/quote]

You can''t really compare the two - yet!  Lambert has started well but who knows what will happen over time.  Things went a bit sour at the end but Worthy did succeed in getting us into the top division from a very low point and there were some fabulous times along the way.  I certainly hope that Lambert does prove to be better than Worthy because if he does we will certainly have achieved something to be really proud of and had some great times getting there.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

What a strange thing to say Tilly[:|]

We suddenly poke our noses into the top six in League One and all of a sudden Lambert is going to be better than Worthy ever was[:O]

And I suppose that excuses the disgraceful way he was treated in his last year here and nCIsA''s endless campaign to get him out[:|]

We all hope Lambert becomes a legend and better than Worthy ever was. But it''s a long way to the Premier League.

And Worthy never got to be a managerial legend did he[:^)] I believe some still say he blotted his copybook by getting shot of Danny Crowe[*-)]

They can''t be compared, Worthy got us to the Prem, Lambo is lower and has less funds. I hope that Lambert can emulate Worthy.