Sign in to follow this  
Here We Go

Thanks Gunny

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

..... You might not be the greatest manager the game has seen, but you do know how to scout good players.

With the likes of askou, holt, hughes all turning out to be gems and for bringing some of the younger players into contention

Well done.

[/quote]

Your username shows you clearly know nothing about football. Your post backs up that point. Most of the players Gunn signed have been awful. Only 2 out of about 11 were in the team on saturday. Go figure!

[/quote]

I do know about football, and my name is only against the person who had the username Gunn No legend, when he was a footballing legend at this club. Even i agree he was a rubbish manager.

But the players he signed most are injured, Gill, Tudor Jones, Wiggins. Hughes has just come back from injury, Nelson is also injured. Then Theo i agree wasnt the best signing, but Holt has been awesome so has askou, and cody is a find and a half. Whaly is half gd half bad, during pre-season he had a few stormers of games. then it went wrong from there. Maric we were all raving about during pre-season hoping he would get signed.

Iam missing a few...........

[quote user="Hucks NO Legend"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

..... You might not be the greatest manager the game has seen, but you do know how to scout good players.

With the likes of askou, holt, hughes all turning out to be gems and for bringing some of the younger players into contention

Well done.

[/quote]

Your username shows you clearly know nothing about football. Your post backs up that point. Most of the players Gunn signed have been awful. Only 2 out of about 11 were in the team on saturday. Go figure!

[/quote]

I do know about football, and my name is only against the person who had the username Gunn No legend, when he was a footballing legend at this club. Even i agree he was a rubbish manager.

But the players he signed most are injured, Gill, Tudor Jones, Wiggins. Hughes has just come back from injury, Nelson is also injured. Then Theo i agree wasnt the best signing, but Holt has been awesome so has askou, and cody is a find and a half. Whaly is half gd half bad, during pre-season he had a few stormers of games. then it went wrong from there. Maric we were all raving about during pre-season hoping he would get signed.

[/quote]

For F''s sake, no, Gunny was not a rubbish manager. For the umpteenth time, he inherited a complete and utter shambles, a load of dross, a poisonous atmoshpere, players who didn''t want to wear the badge, disgruntled supporters. This was near the end of the January transfer window. He had virtually no cash to buy players so effectively had to go with what he inherited. The fact that he and Butterworth and Crook and Deehan were not able to reverse the decline did not surprise anyone. During the summer he cleared out players and brought players in. No manager can claim success with every player he brings into a club and, like evrybody else, I too have question marks against Theoklitis. However, just look at the extremely high quality of some of the players that Gunn, as the manager in charge, signed and therefore put his name too. Holt of course stands out and the fact that Gunn secured his signing is testimony to Gunn''s persuasive and motivational skills. Anyway, the test of whether a manager is good, bad or indifferent is when he has beeen give the chance to prove his worth with the squad he has put together and put his name to - not some rag tag bunch of wannaway loanees and contract players who have had enough - however, Gunn was not given that chance. Therefore, it is self-evident that he cannot be labelled a good or bad manager because we simply do not know what he would have achieved with the players he assembled. Nevetherless, the fact that these players are currently doing so well for Lambert (and it was Gunn who first gave the youth players their chance not Lambert, it was Gunn who got into confrontations with the club over his refusal to sell Hoolahan, it was Gunn who re-habbed Lappin and brought in the likes of Holt and Hughes) is in my opinion credit to both Lambert AND Gunn.  I am delighted with what Lambert has so far achieved with the players and he has admitted to being very happy indeed with the players that he inherited from Gunn - Gunn''s inheritance was of course entirely different. What p_sses me of is the constant mindless slagging off of a man who did his best for the club and laid the foundations of the success now being achieved. Gunn was not given the chance to prove his worth but instead of being so groundlessly vitriolic about him we should give him credit for what he did do and move on. I keep wanting to move on myself but it seems that every time I look at this MB I read the usual praise of Lambert and moronic and unintelligent criticism of Gunn.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]

For F''s sake, no, Gunny was not a rubbish manager. For the umpteenth time, he inherited a complete and utter shambles, a load of dross, a poisonous atmoshpere, players who didn''t want to wear the badge, disgruntled supporters. This was near the end of the January transfer window. He had virtually no cash to buy players so effectively had to go with what he inherited.

[/quote]This is rewriting history with a Stalinist vengeance. Far from having to go with what he''d inherited he brought in, unless I''ve missed someone, eight players. McDonald, Killen, Carney, Gow, Mooney, Leijer, Lee and Shackell. Close to an entirely new team.As to the poisonous atmosphere, that may have existed under Roeder, but presumably was entirely dissipated at a stroke by the appointment of Gunn. It was, we were told at the time, the players who wanted him, and wanted to play for him.

Gunn was a very good goalkeeper who was payed well for many seasons as a player, and he then received a good wage in various roles at Carrow Road when his playing career ended. He was then offered a job (the manager''s post) which was way beyond his capabilities. He accepted the job with disastrous consequences for the football club. The rest is history.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Scottlarock"]...we must also thank him for sourcing all the talented and committed loans from last season too. The excitement of sibierski playing was almost enough to assuage my upset at our relegation.

[/quote] There is no authority without responsibility. The manager takes responsibility for player signings. Therefore, Roeder was responsible for all the loan signings (and we know that he made the decisions regarding these vis a vis constantly going on about his contacts at the highest level of the game) and, this should go without saying, Gunn was the final decision maker regarding HIS signings. Given the churlish reaction to this thread, who is responsible for the victories over Orient and Rovers : Lambert, Culverhouse, or Crook ?! Compare the make-up of the team against Rovers and Orient and look at Gunn''s team that played such scintillating bounce-back football against yeovil at Yeovil only dats after the one-off against Colchester. And, to finish off, the people who go on about Gunntaking us down to the third level are, frankly, just very silly. He inherited a complete and utter shambles from Roeder. No one else wanted the job but Gunn stepped upto the plate but quite understandably couldn''t reverse the decline that had started seasons before and which had rerached an unstoppable momentum. Yes, we do have much to thank Gunn for : he brought in the players that are doing so well for us, rehabilitated Lappin and Russell, was the FIRST manager to give youth their chance, had the best pre-seaosn for many a long year AND refused to sell Hoolahan. Most of you on this MB and on this thread are in denial and have just jumped on the anti Gunn bandwagon. BSheep. Baaaaaaaaa to you, you silly unthinking twits.[/quote]

What a load of tosh!!!

What is the point in having a scout (Gunn) if the manager is jsut going to sign who he wants anyway. A scout''s responsibility is to suggest players, with their point of view and analysis of the player himself. No doubt Gunn''s files were passed to Roeder with recommendations.

The Orient and Rovers victories are down to Lambert, Culverhouse, Crook and the players.. no one else is involved, FACT!!

Gunn''s team playing scintillating football.. definitely was scintillating against Charlton last season and Col U.... oh no wait, no it wasn''t, where do you get this opnion of good performances under Gunn? Points win prizes, not "performances".

Regardless of playing staff, Gunn was at the helm when we went down. The only good thing he did was bring back Cureton who was scoring goals for Barnsley...fellow struggerls last year. Lambert has shown that the team this year jsut needed to be sorted out. He did step up to the plate... to lick it clean!!

There are a few players that are excelling under Lambert, but looked clueless under Gunn. Lappin was simply brought into the squad again, and he wasn''t first choice under Gunn, FACT!! Russell didn''t play under Gunn, and Lambert brought him in from the cold, FACT!!

The naturaly course of the youth was to get into the first team squad after they were doing so well under Martin.

Pre-season was good, but I wonder who was in charge? I have heard that Crook was working with the players, and they looked working with Crook, makes sense that he is the only one that''s stayed really.

Refused to sell Hoolahan... as far as I know, there weren''t any offers turned down... Russell had an offer which was turned down.

I think that there is little evidence that you know what you are talking about here Bob.... how can you even claim that Gunn re-habilitated Russell!! Disaster !!

Gunn was never the right man, I wanted him to be the saviour, but it never materialised. Lambert has produced the wake up call the squad needed to get them to fight and play good football, long may it continue.

I don''t want to bash Gunn as a person, becuase he was a child-hood hero of mine, but he is not a manager, sorry!

[quote user="B-ru"]The only good thing he did was bring back Cureton who was scoring goals for Barnsley...[/quote]Gunn did NOT bring Cureton back from Barnsley, the board did. They brought him back as soon as the sacked Roeder and BEFORE they had decided on a caretaker manager.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/7828617.stm

"Munby said a decision had yet to be made over who would take charge of the team for Saturday''s league game at home to Barnsley."

"Meanwhile, Norwich have recalled last season''s top scorer Jamie Cureton from loan at Barnsley and he will be eligible to face the South Yorkshire club on Saturday."

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

Well done.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For F''s sake, no, Gunny was not a rubbish manager. For the umpteenth time, he inherited a complete and utter shambles, a load of dross, a poisonous atmoshpere, players who didn''t want to wear the badge, disgruntled supporters. This was near the end of the January transfer window. He had virtually no cash to buy players so effectively had to go with what he inherited. The fact that he and Butterworth and Crook and Deehan were not able to reverse the decline did not surprise anyone. During the summer he cleared out players and brought players in. No manager can claim success with every player he brings into a club and, like evrybody else, I too have question marks against Theoklitis. However, just look at the extremely high quality of some of the players that Gunn, as the manager in charge, signed and therefore put his name too. Holt of course stands out and the fact that Gunn secured his signing is testimony to Gunn''s persuasive and motivational skills. Anyway, the test of whether a manager is good, bad or indifferent is when he has beeen give the chance to prove his worth with the squad he has put together and put his name to - not some rag tag bunch of wannaway loanees and contract players who have had enough - however, Gunn was not given that chance. Therefore, it is self-evident that he cannot be labelled a good or bad manager because we simply do not know what he would have achieved with the players he assembled. Nevetherless, the fact that these players are currently doing so well for Lambert (and it was Gunn who first gave the youth players their chance not Lambert, it was Gunn who got into confrontations with the club over his refusal to sell Hoolahan, it was Gunn who re-habbed Lappin and brought in the likes of Holt and Hughes) is in my opinion credit to both Lambert AND Gunn.  I am delighted with what Lambert has so far achieved with the players and he has admitted to being very happy indeed with the players that he inherited from Gunn - Gunn''s inheritance was of course entirely different. What p_sses me of is the constant mindless slagging off of a man who did his best for the club and laid the foundations of the success now being achieved. Gunn was not given the chance to prove his worth but instead of being so groundlessly vitriolic about him we should give him credit for what he did do and move on. I keep wanting to move on myself but it seems that every time I look at this MB I read the usual praise of Lambert and moronic and unintelligent criticism of Gunn.

[/quote]

Sorry. Gunn was a terrible manager. No other way you can dress it up. Terrible. Ask the players what his team talk, briefing and tactics consisted of ahead of the Col U game? Ask what training was like. Tell me what his relationship was like with Butterworth and Crook in the latter days?

He was a joke as a manager. Mcnally knows about football and saw this and acted swiftly since when we have hardly looked back. Yes I will give you that it was harsh to see Gunn sacked in the manner he was but it had to be done. The real error and the one that created the mess was the joke of a decision to appoint him in the summer, a decision taken before Mcnally and the other directors arrived.

As for the point you keep banging on about the Yoevil game:

v Yoevil  the team was: Ben Alnwick; Adam Drury, Gary Doherty, Jens Berthel Askou, Michael Spillane; Wes Hoolahan, Tom Adeyemi, Matthew Gill, Simon Whaley; Grant Holt, Cody McDonald.

v Bristol Rovers the team was: Declan Rudd, Adam Drury, Gary Doherty, Jens Berthel Askou, Michael Spillane, Simon Lappin, Corey Smith, Darrell Russell, Wes Hoolahan, Chris Martin, Grant Holt

6 players the same. Is hardly the same team. More notably of Gunn''s fantastic signings only 5 played against Yoevil.  Only 2 were left in the team against Rovers. Gill and Whaley have shown themselves to be sh*t along with Tudor Jones, Theokiltos and in my opinion Nelson (he''s a bit better). The jury is still out on Cody and Wiggins. Of the players Gunn signed therefore only Holt, Hughes and Askou could be said to have been a success. Askou was a trialist who has come good. Holt was a no-brainer. Hughes looks like we have sniffed out a decent player I will give you that!

I like Brian Gunn, I really do, but he never was and never will be a football manager and was totally and utterly the wrong person to put in charge of our team both last season and this summer.

[quote user="Hucks NO Legend"][quote user="Dronny Canary"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

Well done.

[/quote]

Just got home shattered and needed a good laugh.  Thanks mate![:D]

[/quote]

I do my best mate, everyone needs a good laugh after a long day at work.

[/quote]unless it''s August 8th 2009 and you''re name is Bryan Gunn.

...or your name is Bob Franklin and it''s any day.

I don''t think we have to thank Gunny for anything I believe had a proper manager been appointed after Roeder a turnaround of sorts would have took place much in the same way it is doing now. Because the cheap option was applied against my better judgement and all the other people who emailed the club we got a result entirely what was deserved.

If any other manager from outside had achieved the results Gunn did and got fired would we be still congratulating his transfer acumen while the next bloke was in charge.

The reason some people have this blind faith in him is the reason he was appointed, because the board knew some people would never criticise him no matter how bad things got. I believe some people were sucked in by this bleed yellow and green initiative and missed all the warning signs that the fairytale ending rarely happens in life yet alone the competitive world of professional football.

Most of you are very harsh on Bryan; no we don''t have to thank him for anything I am sure he was well remunerated. But we have still not been told the full in and outs of what went on. And whatever you say he was not given much of a chance. Some of you may not want to know, but I feel some of us have a rights as supporters. We should be given the facts. Unless as someone suggests and legal action is ongoing.

PS. I am putting Bryan Gunns name forward for the forthcoming Ipswich vacancy.

Did notice when looking at the team sheet on saturday there were as many players signed by Grant and Worthy starting as signed by Gunn. I think most people would like to forget Gunn''s time as manager and remember his legendary playing career (yes legendary) rather than having some prat start a ''thank you Gunny'' thread everytime one of his signings scores, or takes part in a win.

[quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

Well done.

[/quote]

and what about: Theo, Maric, Whaley, Jones, Gill and possibly McVeigh.......not so well done. 

[quote user="HazzaJet"]Gunn didn''t do a good job in managing the club, though I would blame the board more than Gunn for the relegation - when he came in we were just outside the bottom 3 needing someone who definately could keep a side up. The board appointed Gunn when had no managing experience at all, so it was almost certain he would fail. The reason I blame the board more is that they should have thought more carefully about who they should appoint. [/quote]

Spot on!

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Hucks NO Legend"]

Well done.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For F''s sake, no, Gunny was not a rubbish manager. For the umpteenth time, he inherited a complete and utter shambles, a load of dross,

[/quote]

Who was head of player recruitment before Gunn became manager? 

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

The real error and the one that created the mess was the joke of a decision to appoint him (Gunn) in the summer, a decision taken before Mcnally and the other directors arrived.

..... The jury is still out on Cody and Wiggins. Of the players Gunn signed therefore only Holt, Hughes and Askou could be said to have been a success. Askou was a trialist who has come good. Holt was a no-brainer. Hughes looks like we have sniffed out a decent player I will give you that!

[/quote]

Good post. 

[quote user="Storm"]

Most of you are very harsh on Bryan; no we don''t have to thank him for anything I am sure he was well remunerated. But we have still not been told the full in and outs of what went on. And whatever you say he was not given much of a chance. [/quote]

Gunn - 20 games --> 1pt a game

Lambert  8 games --> roughly 1.9pts a game

Enough said!

Did people defend Hamilton even though he signed McVeigh v1.0 and by all accounts Gary Holt (two players instrumental in our promotion to the Prem)? No 

Did people defend Peter Grant even though he gave Chris Martin his chance (a player who is now fairly vital for us)? Probably not

It''s beyond me how people can defend Gunn! HE GOT US RELEGATED TO LEAGUE ONE! L E A G U E   O N E!

He should shoulder most of the blame for even putting himself forward for the job pre-Barnsley let alone post-Charlton. If you give Delia the easy option she will grab it with both hands!

Thank Allah for David McNally.

[quote user="paul moy"]It was Nigel Worthington that signed Holt.  [/quote]

Bryan Hamilton had lined it all up before getting sacked, that''s why I put the "by all accounts" line in.

[quote user="dizgoo"][quote user="paul moy"]It was Nigel Worthington that signed Holt.  [/quote] Bryan Hamilton had lined it all up before getting sacked, that''s why I put the "by all accounts" line in.[/quote]

He did indeed, at 400K, but Nigel got him for 100K.  A true bargain !!

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/holt.htm

[quote user="dizgoo"][quote user="paul moy"]It was Nigel Worthington that signed Holt.  [/quote]

Bryan Hamilton had lined it all up before getting sacked, that''s why I put the "by all accounts" line in.[/quote]That is quite right. Indeed, if I remember correctly, a fee had been agreed with the Scottish club (Kilmarnock?) and Holt walked in through the front door at Carrow Road to discuss personal terms just as Hamilton was being ushered out the back way clutching his P45!When Worthington had got his feet under the desk he resurrected the deal a few weeks later. But it was Hamilton, whatever his many faults as a manager, who had wanted to sign Holt, so he has to take the credit for the eventual acquisition.

So anyway...

You get my point!

Even crap managers sign or bring through good players, but even Hamilton and good old Granty didn''t get us relegated. I''m 99.9% certain that even if they had have they would have walked away with their heads down and not gone on a self-promoting regional tour in an effort to get the job.

>

As for the daughter putting it on Facebook too....PATHETIC!

>

Good riddance to Odd Job!

Fully agree with you, Hucks, took the words off my mouth. Not a great manager, that''s for sure, but a nice guy and a good talent scout though.

I''ve said on other forums about this debate

ANY idiot can buy a jigsaw, putting the pieces together in the right way is the true art.  Gunn was backed with cash, bought in plenty of players and could not make it work.  Relegation & the damning 7goals conceded proved this.

He deserves no thanks, he took us down when we were in a more favourable position than others in teh Championship dog fight and was paid handsomely for it.   Even with all his "mates" in the game i do not expect Gunn to get a coaching or managerial role at any professional club in the near future

Don''t think Lambert going to be any kind of messiah another couple of seasons it will go one of two ways either belly up and he’ll be sacked or he will desert Norwich City like a shot. Unlike Gunn there will be no loyalty.

Some of you are forgetting NCFC position it might be called the second division but in real terms it’s the third division. We would have romped this league with the Roeder set up let alone anybody else.

And as for McNally if he’s any good what''s he doing down in the third division. Wasn’t he at Fulham prior to coming here that’s some come down that is.

We will finally end up in our true natural position in the football league which is mid way in the championship there will be odd times when we might do a little better for a short period of time and there will be times when we are below that natural position like now. NCFC have no ambition and never will have. Why don''t you support a decent side like Wroxham.