Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Back from the game

Having arrived back in Warrington my thoughts on today''s game are as follows:

We made hard work of beating a very average team and spurned enough chances to have won by 3 or 4. However we did win and kept a clean sheet so all''s well that ends well. I felt we needed to be more decisive and actually shoot when the chance comes rather than try to walk the ball into the net. Our goal was down to a real blunder by their defence and I suspect that we might not have scored had it not been for that. Carlisle weren''t really in it for the first hour but then we seemed to tire very quickly and they started to get back into it. Korey especially seemed to tire and I wonder if he was carrying a slight knock as seemed to be the case with Grant Holt in the later stages and we know he went into the game having had a shin injury last week. Overall a good win but harder than it should have been.

Player ratings:

Forster 7 - very safe hands and when called on did everything that was asked of him. Pulled off a tremendous save late in the game that wouldn''t have counted due to offside but he wasn''t to know that and must have seen it very late through the melee of players.

Francomb 6 - a satisfactory performance from a young man who hasn''t even signed as a pro yet. Caught a few times waiting for the ball rather than attacking it but that''s down to experience. Looks a very promising prospect.

Doherty 7 - typical sturdy, man-handling display from the Doc and fully played his part in keeping a clean sheet.

Askou 6 - another solid display although positioning caused him problems on a few occasions. One of the finds for us this season so far.

Drury 8 - MOM for me with a display that reminds me of his prime. Given he flew up this morning after the birth of his second child yesterday it was a display of a true professional.

Russell 8 - a very close call for MOM, as he shepherded young George Francomb and made sure their midfield was largely ineffective.

Smith 6/7 - Solid in the first half and for half the second then seemed to run out of steam. We shouldn''t forget he is still a youngster and will have these slight ups and downs as he develops.

Lappin 6 - dependable but not his best.

Hoolahan 7 - match winning goal but could and should have had at least another. The coaching staff have to work on his one-footedness as it cost us at least one goal today. However his ability to make openings will be invaluable to us this season.

Martin 7 - What I like about Chris is his willingness to shoot and to do so from distance. On another day he''d have had a couple today. Not sure he is the right foil for the Horse but is doing the business so hard to drop.

Holt 7 - a typical Horse display, a mare. No just joking. He really puts himself about for the team and has the ability to run with good close ball control for a big man. Tired second half but would imagine this was due to still carrying a slight knock.

Subs:

Adeyemi 6 - replaced Francomb and was solid for the time he was on.

Cureton 6 - late replacement for Martin so had little time to impress. His legs have gone and will find it hard to play full games now.

Referee: good display I felt and was prepared to talk to players rather than just wave the card.         

Fans: yet another incredible turnout given the distance and tremendous vocal backing from start to finish. players showed their appreciation at the end.

Good report, thanks.

Bit off, Drury rated well and MOM on this one, where as another person put him as joint worst player only at a 6.

Am I going blind. I see the pink ''un and another player rating poster have MacDonald as the lat sub. It looked remarably like Cureton to me. If it was Cody I apologise to Curo (his legs have gone though) and speed up Cody.

[quote user="crafty canary"]

Am I going blind. I see the pink ''un and another player rating poster have MacDonald as the lat sub. It looked remarably like Cureton to me. If it was Cody I apologise to Curo (his legs have gone though) and speed up Cody.

[/quote]to be fair the PA system was shocking.

[quote user="Brendan"]Good report, thanks. Bit off, Drury rated well and MOM on this one, where as another person put him as joint worst player only at a 6.[/quote]

That''s the beauty of football. We all have an opinion and won''t always see things the same way, especially late substitutions, LOL

Just got back as well so I''ll pop my report in here then!Well just got back from a very weird and frustrating game.  The whole team seems to have caught Hoolanatitis!  This is a game that really could have ranged from 4-0 to a 2-1 defeat.We started well and played some nice passing footy, Carlisle had a brief spell before we scored and went on to dominate the rest of the half.  Second half started as the first and we played some nice following football.  However during these spells we created several goal scoring opportunities only for the player in possession to try and take it round an extra player or pass it when the ball was begging to be walloped at goal from about 6 yards out.  Several players were guilty of this not just Hoops but his influence seems to have rubbed off on everyone else.  We are not Arsenal we can’t simple walk the ball into the net!This seemed to spur Carlisle on as we should have been well clear at this point, the last 35 minutes were nonstop Carlisle pumping balls forward.  Not sure where the midfield had gone at this point but we were incredibly deep however, the never say die attitude that has been installed into the side worked wonders at the other end of the pitch and we weren’t breached and clung on for a 1-0.Individually the only player that stood out for me the whole game was Jens who was an absolute rock. Doc had a shaky start and gave away a few free kicks in bad places but also put in some very good blocks later on.Francomb for his league debut he did okay.  Was caught out of position a few times as he loved to bomb forward.  He was singled out by Carlisle who always placed a big player by him as he seriously lacks strength.  Most of their attacks were aimed down their left.  He did make some very good recovery tackles but I feel he is more one for the future than a first team regular at present.When they were on form Russell and Smith bossed the midfield and would be a partnership I would definitely try and keep together.Forster pulled off an excellent save at the end to keep a clean sheet.Overall it was pleasing to come away with a win having not had a played that great and taken chances when they were there.  We certainly have some steel in the side now and I can’t remember the last time we wouldn’t crumble after a bit of pressure.One last word, our support today was fantastic great numbers and noisy throughout, feel for everyone on a bus back to Norwich but at least they’re taking an away win home with them.

A good day out and three well deserved points.

Once again an amazing turnout from our fans - there must have been over 1000 - with most having a very long journey even though I don''t remember ever going to a City game where so many of our fans had Scottish accents !

I thought we were in control pretty much throughout the game and felt comfortable even towards the end when the home team looked most likely to score. It was good to see the team look as though they''re enjoying their football again. There were plenty of shots on goal but there probably should have been more. It''s infuriating sometimes to see players get into good positions and then over elaborate ( No names mentioned, Wes ).

I don''t think any of our players had a bad game and Forster earned his money with a fabulous reaction save in the first half and a superb low down tip round the post late on ( although it wouldn''t have counted for there was a Carlisle infringement )

Paul Lambert has got this team ticking along nicely and I think I''ll soon revising my opinion that I''ll just be happy with a top half finish outside the Play-Offs.

Well I never went so I haven''t just got back[;)] Anyway, the way I see it is this, teams can switch of when they play other teams like Carlisle due to complacency and end up losing or sitting out a dire draw(they held both Leeds and Charlton to 1-1 draws)but our new fighting squad battled on(the last 20 mins) and were good for their win. It''s these games we need to be winning and seem to be doing so. When we play the likes of Leeds and Charlton the team are more up for it and that''s where you may get caught out whilst trying to give them a game. The boring 1-0 wins at places like Carlisle will be the difference between getting out of this hell hole or not. Regardless of who was good or who was bad I salute the team as a whole for coming away with another 3 points(deserved or not).

I just got back too Inchy.. back from work not the game [;)] I agree with you and would like to add that it''s great to see us score a goal and hold on to a lead. Grind out a result if you like. We did that on Tuesday too!

Norwich get two 1-0 away wins in a week[:^)] You couldn''t make it up!![^o)]

Oh.. and Crafty... get Tangie to help you out with the old eyesight problems[8-|] We all need a little help as we get older[;)]

Cureton 6 - late replacement for Martin so had little time to impress.

His legs have gone and will find it hard to play full games now.just shows how some fans are so stuck in their views and dont watch what is really going on in the game as this is obviously a pre held view that will never change........ his legs have gone hahahahahahaha the funniest post i have read for a long time, Cody was that impressive was he????????????

Do I think Curo''s legs have gone? Yes.

Will I change that opinion? No,because it''s correct and wishful thinking won''t change it.

Was Cody of the pace yesterday? Yes he was and that was one of the reasons my view of the substitution from across the pitch that it was Curo didn''t lead me to check the shirt number against the programme. Scoring last gasp goals against well beaten teams changes nothing.

Did you actually go or do you form your opinions on pre-conceived ideas too?