Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

World Cup Qualifiers so far just went up

....as the US won at Honduras (who have 4 or 5 players in Prem and 1 in Italy) so we are in our 6th consecutive WC. Mexico is in, too based on today''s results.  See ya in Jo''burg!  Hope it''s a US vs England final, and I won''t care who wins!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]....as the US won at Honduras (who have 4 or 5 players in Prem and 1 in Italy) so we are in our 6th consecutive WC. Mexico is in, too based on today''s results.  See ya in Jo''burg!  Hope it''s a US vs England final, and I won''t care who wins![/quote]

Did Landon play? Hope he will come back to play in Europe

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Maynor Figeuroa and Hendry Thomas

[/quote]

Yes, Donavan played.  He set up at least the 2nd goal and scored the 3rd. We did not have tv coverage without going to a sports bar, so all I had was the updates from soccernet, but it sounded like he had a great game.

2 or 3 Hondurans play for Wigan, one for Spurs and one other I think in the Prem plus a guy on a big Italian team. I''ll try to find the names.

We did our best to give it away. We won 3-2 but they missed a Pen (over crossbar!) in the 87th minute and the same guy missed an open goal with his head in extra time (again, over the crossbar). Landon was excellent but Bradley (coach) is not the sharpest tool in the shed and if we made quarters in next summer I''d be overjoyed.  Highly unlikely, though. Houston, ever hear of an internet stream?  There were streams all over the place, the best one was from the Aussie network....  Why the Aussies broadcast our match but not us, I have no idea.

It does anger me to see the likes of Bahrain,New Zealand,North Korea,Costa Rica,Honduras in the world cup when there will be plenty of good European sides left at home.

For Europe to only get 12 places out of 32 is pretty meagre. Surely the aim of a world cup is to attempt to have the best 32 countries in the world in the final, now if say 25 of them happen to be European then so be it

Maybe time to have world cup qualification on a global scale to stop the likes of Mexico,USA,Japan,S.Korea having a free ride into the world cup every four years??

Yes. NYC, but I am not good with tech.  I did find one stream but it was only showing outside the US so I stopped looking. 

If they''re not going to play him, Milan need to loan out Onyewu. It sounded like he was not doing to well when he should be in peak form.

Wilson Palcios plays for Spurs. Maynor Figueroa and Hendry Thoman play at Wigan, and David Suazo is at Inter. The guy who botched the penalty kick WAS with the LA Galaxy but he was sent packing, maybe because he can''t convert a penalty kick or an easy header. I think he name is Curetonez. ha ha

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

It does anger me to see the likes of Bahrain,New Zealand,North Korea,Costa Rica,Honduras in the world cup when there will be plenty of good European sides left at home.

For Europe to only get 12 places out of 32 is pretty meagre. Surely the aim of a world cup is to attempt to have the best 32 countries in the world in the final, now if say 25 of them happen to be European then so be it

[/quote]

if these teams were good enough they''d be there....

you mention Mexico, interesting fact number 1.. Mexico have Qualified for MORE world cups than England... perhaps global qualification might stop Englands free ride then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Results_of_host_nations

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

you mention Mexico, interesting fact number 1.. Mexico have Qualified for MORE world cups than England... perhaps global qualification might stop Englands free ride then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_team_appearances_in_the_FIFA_World_Cup#Results_of_host_nations

[/quote]

England has a lot tougher competition to get to the World Cup than does Mexico. Until recently, Mexico was pretty much guarenteed a place because they were so much futher ahead of the rest of CONCACAF in every aspect.  For it to be a truly global competition, there needs to be representation from all the continents (or general regions for the sake of Australia being a continent but just 1 sparsely populated country), excluding Antarctica for obvious reasons.

CONCACAF having 3 guarenteed spots in the tournament with a possibility of 4 if our 4th place team wins a playoff against South America''s 5th place team seems overly generous.  However, FIFA obviously wants the entire planet watching. The cream rises to the top, so there is no worry Bhutan or Vatican City will actually get out of the 1st Round if they ever qualify.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well thats exactly point Jas, Mexico ALWAYS qualify because every 4 years they have to negotiate their way past the might of the likes of Guatamala,El Salvador, Panama etc etc, and when they do get to the finals they do bugger all. (this is the only reason why they, and indeed USA are as high as they are in the fifa rankings)

I would love to play Mexico in a world cup qualification group as would I suspect at least half of the countries in Europe, I don''t think Mexico would ever qualify for a world cup finals ever again were this to be the case.

Is it really right that Europe only gets 12 places out of 53 countries (4 less than qualify for a European championship finals) , whilst South America for instance get 5 out of 10!!

How many do Africa get?  They''ve got the most countries. We have a lot in CONCACAF too, although most of them have tiny populations, like Trinidad and Tobago, Belize and Barbados.

If any of you guys actually followed & watched Mexico in the last few world cups you could not argue they do not deserve a place in the competition. Granted they usually very much like England do not play to their potential past the group stages. 2006 - 2nd in group & knocked out by Argentina in a amazing game where both teams played amazing attacking football but Mexico knocked out by a screamer of a 35 yard strike in extra time 2002 - Topped the Group unbeaten above Italy & Croatia.1998 - 2nd in group after HollandBasically YES Mexico have reached the World Cup 4 times on the trot but I fully expect them AGAIN to reach the last 16. Also in recent years they have won the confederations cup in 1999 (beating Brazil 4-3 in the final) Gold cup in 1998, 2003 & 2009. Am sure if England had won this amount of silverware in the last decade we would all be claiming we deserve a place in the world cup.Anyway my point is there is no logical reason to single out Mexico, they have played well & alongside USA, Brazil & Argentina I believe are teams that can cause any European team problems & would not want them with England in the group stages.As for the Concacaf qualifications maybe it should be 2 instead of 3 automatic spots...

Chris

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Maybe time to have world cup qualification on a global scale to stop the likes of Mexico,USA,Japan,S.Korea having a free ride into the world cup every four years??

[/quote]

See, what would anger me is if a nation like France qualified, just because they were France.

If a European nation like France or Portugal is not good enough to finish top 2 in a group containing the likes of the Faroe Islands, Lithuania, Malta and Albania, then clearly they''re not good enough to compete in the World Cup final.

If you want to find out who the best team in Europe is, why don''t you have your own championships. It could run every 4 years, but in-between World Cups. Seeing as though its only the teams in Europe, I''m sure football powerhouses like England would always qualify for those, right? [;)]