Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Hulahoop is the difference...

in my opinion he should have got man of the match, and all round great performance, but Hulahoop is everywhere on the field and pulls the strings... i hope he stays for the season.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]in my opinion he should have got man of the match, and all round great performance, but Hulahoop is everywhere on the field and pulls the strings... i hope he stays for the season.[/quote]

Its funny isn''t it?. All those people who a few weeks ago were saying that he was crap and that we should get rid of him have gone stranglely quiet!

I said a few weeks ago when ridiculously he wasn''t even on the bench (Walsall - (h)) -that we had potentially THE best player in league one right under our noses and we weren''t even usinh him.

The more I think about it the more I''m starting to believe that there is some substance in the rumours that he had a club ban after the Colchester ,fan -gesturing incident, as I don''t believe any manager would leave a player of Hoolahan quality out of the entire squad without good reason.

Whether he is fighting for the club, or out to show other clubs his worth, as long as this form continues i don''t mind.  I hope his desire is for the club and he see''s his future here at Norwich? He is full of confidence and as i said, his alround performance was a shade above the fantastic overall team performance.

The Hulahoop doubters surely can''t disagree with this thread? (but this is the Pink Un forum so anything is possible)!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]in my opinion he should have got man of the match, and all round great performance, but Hulahoop is everywhere on the field and pulls the strings... i hope he stays for the season.[/quote]

Absolutely right, pulls the strings and is all over the park, defending when necessary as well as creating and moving the point of attack. He may see this as the shop window but I hope that isn`t the case. I think  part of his problem with Norwich in the past has either been he hasn`t played or he`s been  shoe horned into a role which he isn`t suited to. He`s now doing what he likes and what he does  best in front of  an admiring crowd, the incentive to leave must be diminishing for him.

Having said all that, this division is perfect for him and where he has played his best football, he may be deluding himself if he thinks he has the class to play like this in a higher league, same could be said for  a lot of our players, but  hey, lets enjoy it for the time being, we deserve it.  

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Its funny isn''t it?. All those people who a few weeks ago were saying that he was crap and that we should get rid of him have gone stranglely quiet!

I said a few weeks ago when ridiculously he wasn''t even on the bench (Walsall - (h)) -that we had potentially THE best player in league one right under our noses and we weren''t even usinh him.

The more I think about it the more I''m starting to believe that there is some substance in the rumours that he had a club ban after the Colchester ,fan -gesturing incident, as I don''t believe any manager would leave a player of Hoolahan quality out of the entire squad without good reason.

[/quote]

He is crap, my opinion hasn''t changed of him... he has so far this season scored a couple of goals (one penalty included), missed quite a few chances, created a couple for other players (but relatively little) and given the ball away and cocked things up endlessly (even in his new positions).

Don''t be surprised if Hoolahan is shipped out as soon as Lambert has a chance to bring his own players in and do it.  He doesn''t score or create enough for other players and is a liability in tough matches.  We all know that Lambert is likely to bring his own striker and a couple of wingers in when he is finally given a few quid to spend.

My opinion of Hoolahan has not changed one bit, but hats off to Lambert for getting the best out of a very frustrating player! [Y]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

He is crap, my opinion hasn''t changed of him... he has so far this season scored a couple of goals (one penalty included), missed quite a few chances, created a couple for other players (but relatively little) and given the ball away and cocked things up endlessly (even in his new positions).

Don''t be surprised if Hoolahan is shipped out as soon as Lambert has a chance to bring his own players in and do it.  He doesn''t score or create enough for other players and is a liability in tough matches.  We all know that Lambert is likely to bring his own striker and a couple of wingers in when he is finally given a few quid to spend.

My opinion of Hoolahan has not changed one bit, but hats off to Lambert for getting the best out of a very frustrating player! [Y]

[/quote]

Tin hat time Smudger, I was anti Hooli, but the jury''s out with me after the last two games.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Let''s see, who won the foul for our first goal today? Won and converted the penalty? Provided the assist for our fifth? So that''s him being heavily involved in three goals in a single game.Also, who is continually double marked by opposition teams, and praised for his performances after we''ve torn them to shreds? Who drifts around the pitch, pulling opposition defences to pieces and creating space for others? If you went to games you would be able to see that one of the major differences between Walsall at Home and Orient/Bristol Rovers was the creativity offered by that man.Then again, you said that Southampton would be flying past us at around this point in the season, so whilst you are entitled to it, I don''t think many other people are going to take your opinion too seriously!

[/quote]

[/quote]Completely disagree with this Smudge[N]He''s scored 5 goals this season, has a number of assists to his name, earned us a couple of penalties, and has been integral to all our build up play for as long as he''s been on the pitch for us.Guarantee the scoreline wouldn''t of been nearly as much as it was today if he wasn''t on the pitch and the same goes for Tuesday. We simply can''t sustain the kind of pressure we do in the final third without Hoolahan. He finds the passes no one else can, and Holt''s ability only ever really shines through when the two are playing alongside eachother.

I''ll openly admit that I wasnt keen on Wesley when he played out wide.  He has a habit of losing the ball, often cheaply, and trying too hard to beat all 11 opposition players.  There are times when he''ll still do that

But played just behind the striker(s) he has been the difference - thats why we''ve scored 9 in 2 games, because the opposition cant cope with him.  So Im quite happy to retract my previous thoughts - as long as he doesnt resume a wide role

I think you will find that the reason being people was saying he was crap was when he was played out on the right side of midfield, because of his wandering inside left Drury exposed. He is now playing  behind the front 1 or 2 which is his best position, so full credit to Lambert for putting him there and for Wes doing the business.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I too don''t like Hoolahan like evryone knows and saying stuff like that you need to be ready for lots of stick!!  I though, and Im not just saying this because of my recent post and how that went down, think Hoolahan did quite well.  He did lot''s of chasing for the ball and got rid of it a lot quicker.  If he plays like this every week then my opinion will soon change of him.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

I thought that but are the people that run are club so stupid that they ban are own players from playing? Especially a very talented one.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I too don''t like Hoolahan like evryone knows and saying stuff like that you need to be ready for lots of stick!!  I though, and Im not just saying this because of my recent post and how that went down, think Hoolahan did quite well.  He did lot''s of chasing for the ball and got rid of it a lot quicker.  If he plays like this every week then my opinion will soon change of him.

[/quote]

I will admit that he has done certain things well recently [Y], but he has done no more than any player I would expect being played in his position and was still frustrating Tilly who I was sitting alongside on Tuesday evening.  I don''t doub''t that he has some quality, but shows too little too often in my opinion and will always struggle due to his inability to use his right foot at all.

I think that RUSSELL has been the real difference in the team... as yet we have been unbeaten with him in the team and I think that he has shown over the last few weeks that he can be a class act in this league!

[quote user="AVFC-NCFC"]

I thought that but are the people that run are club so stupid that they ban are own players from playing? Especially a very talented one.

[/quote]Judging by some of the decisions they''ve made in the last few years it''s not beyond the realms of possibility.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, that just made me laugh. First post ive read of Smudger''s in a while, and just the first 3 words made me chuckle. Hes just played very well in a very convincing 5-1 win for us and scored 1, I really dont see how you can possibly say that.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Boyo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will admit that he has done certain things well recently [Y], but he has done no more than any player I would expect being played in his position and was still frustrating Tilly who I was sitting alongside on Tuesday evening.  I don''t doub''t that he has some quality, but shows too little too often in my opinion and will always struggle due to his inability to use his right foot at all.

I think that RUSSELL has been the real difference in the team... as yet we have been unbeaten with him in the team and I think that he has shown over the last few weeks that he can be a class act in this league!

[/quote]

I have to agree with that though, Smudge!

He was ace today and tuesday. Yes he can be frustrating etc. blah blah blah but today and tues night he was ace and we won 4-0 and 5-1.''Mon the Hoop!

He was excellent on Tuesday and again today. He is occasionally frustrating but has played a major part in four (five if you count the foul he won for Martin''s free kick today) of the nine goals scored in those two games. He has no right foot but is by no means the first one-footed player I have ever seen (for some reason right footers who can''t kick with their left seem to escape such criticism. As a left footer myself, but a right hander, I consider this a form of racism [;)]). If he continues to play this well then he will almost certainly be sold in the summer and Smudger can act the big man and tell us that Lambert never really rated him and that our perilous finances had nothing to do with his sale [:O]. He is the most exciting player we have had since Hucks (and he doesn''t have the genetic advantage of being extremely fast) yet seems to get no such praise.I think he''ll eventually end up leaving around January time and moving to some generic northern Championship team without ever truly being loved by our fans. Then he''ll spend nine months to a year settling in and being played as a left winger whilst the smartarses on here dig up his goalscoring stats for his new club. Then we will program a series of 6'' 2" robots who can kick a ball adequately with both of their big fat metal feet to take to the field and draw 0-0 every game. And then everyone will moan about how boring it all is. And I''ll sit here feeling both smug at how I warned you what would happen and also crying inside as I carve ''I love Wes'' on my right forearm (I''ve chosen the right arm so I have to hold the compass in my left hand, despite being right handed, as a form of ironic homage). This is how football ends [:''(][;)]

I was a hoolahan doubter, but in the last 2 games he has won me over, hope it continues.

BUT it isnt just him that has made the difference, RUSSELL has been awesome in the middle and for me it is the 2 of them together that have made the diff

I have never doubted Wes'' talent, nor his wish to stay at NCFC. For me he''s been a victim of circumstance and being played in a position (under Gunn and Roeder) where he couldn''t display his talents to the full. Now, luckily for him, the team and of course the club (and us) we have a manager who has changed a mediocre squad into a winning one. The difference in not only our results, but our attitude on the park, is incredible.

Wes has vision beyond most of the rest of them. IF he had two good feet and another few inches of height he would be in the Premiership. NO player who is ever likely to play for us at present is perfect, let''s all face reality, but Wes is better than the standard in this league and more than capable of playing in the division above.

Yesterday his passing and vision was great. Likewise his attitude keeping going while he was persistently fouled, Rovers couldn''t cope with him, hence the consistent attempts at fouling him. Our main worry would be another long term injury to him. Without him in the side we are predictable. I am not going to say anyone taking his place would do a worse job, everyone has their merits, but Wes offers more than a bit extra and just now we are reaping the benefits. Long may it continue.

Great post Shack. Can''t believe there are still some people having a go at him. It''s not a sign of weakness to admit you were wrong, Smudge.

We''re in League One. If we had a player as good as Hoolahan who was two-footed, six-foot two and who scored a goal a game, we''d have sold him. At this level, Wes is a class apart. Yes he''s frustrating at times, yes he holds on to the ball too long, but yesterday he was at the centre of everything and pulled Rovers to pieces. Now that we''ve got him playing in the right position he''s a huge asset to this club. I really hope we can keep him in January, and I really hope that some clogger doesn''t scythe him down at some stage, keeping him out for an extended period of time.

He gives us that little bit extra. If you don''t go to football to watch someone of his skill and vision, what do you go for?

Hoolahan played on the left against Yeovil away in the 4-0 win in the Carling Cup and it was he that won us the penalty in the second half for the first goal with his trickery just inside the penalty area.  We then proceeded to tear Yeovil apart and Holt scored his hat-trick.  Hoolahan definitely made the difference that day.   

[quote user="Shack Attack"]He was excellent on Tuesday and again today. He is occasionally frustrating but has played a major part in four (five if you count the foul he won for Martin''s free kick today) of the nine goals scored in those two games. He has no right foot but is by no means the first one-footed player I have ever seen (for some reason right footers who can''t kick with their left seem to escape such criticism. As a left footer myself, but a right hander, I consider this a form of racism [;)]). If he continues to play this well then he will almost certainly be sold in the summer and Smudger can act the big man and tell us that Lambert never really rated him and that our perilous finances had nothing to do with his sale [:O]. He is the most exciting player we have had since Hucks (and he doesn''t have the genetic advantage of being extremely fast) yet seems to get no such praise.

I think he''ll eventually end up leaving around January time and moving to some generic northern Championship team without ever truly being loved by our fans. Then he''ll spend nine months to a year settling in and being played as a left winger whilst the smartarses on here dig up his goalscoring stats for his new club. Then we will program a series of 6'' 2" robots who can kick a ball adequately with both of their big fat metal feet to take to the field and draw 0-0 every game. And then everyone will moan about how boring it all is. And I''ll sit here feeling both smug at how I warned you what would happen and also crying inside as I carve ''I love Wes'' on my right forearm (I''ve chosen the right arm so I have to hold the compass in my left hand, despite being right handed, as a form of ironic homage). This is how football ends [:''(][;)]
[/quote]

That is a great post, and i fear very true... if we are in the playoffs come January, i hope he can be persuaded to stay?

Smudger... were you one the people that Hulahoop flicked his fingers up at? you certainly seem a bitter man!

[quote user="paul moy"]

Hoolahan played on the left against Yeovil away in the 4-0 win in the Carling Cup and it was he that won us the penalty in the second half for the first goal with his trickery just inside the penalty area.  We then proceeded to tear Yeovil apart and Holt scored his hat-trick.  Hoolahan definitely made the difference that day.   

[/quote]

Drury won the spot-kick in the match at Yeovil, but Hoolahan won the spot-kick that restored our lead in the game yesterday

I''ve never been a Wes fan but the reality is he''s one of many players who''ve not fulfilled their potential in previous seasons.  It just seems that Lambert is a bit clearer about what he expects from all players and the message is pretty clear that if you don''t do it his way then you don''t play.  This might have helped Wes get a bit more focused within a team structure that obviously suits him better.  Part of me feels that I don''t care how we play in this league as long as we get out of it as soon as possible.  However, that bit of extra skill that someone like Wes can provide when on song, alongside a team that is gaining in confidence, will really put the frighteners on a lot of teams in this league.  I for one hope that Wes (and Doc for that matter) carry on proving people like me wrong.