Sign in to follow this  
morty

Stump up some cash!

Had to be slightly amused listening to radio Norfolk earlier when the idea was touted that the fans have a "whip round" to buy Darren Huckerby, but, hang on a minute......say 10,000 fans, £100 each (maybe more from the occasional fat cat, not splat!) thats a cool million, maybe not such a stupid idea after all!!

Surely there''s a difference between a share issue where you just put money into the club and it disappears into a black hole with no control over how it''s spent than buying a specific player who could help get us promoted. I''d put £100 in if everyone else would.

The amount raised from the share issue was nearer 2.5 million. It was me who called Radio Norfolk on Saturday and suggested we try to raise some money to sign Huckerby. I would rather look on the positive side and at least try to raise the money to buy him - if we fail at least we can say we tried. As has been said, if 10,000 people contributed £100 it could raise 1 million which would significantly increase the chance of getting him. I spoke to Chris Goreham at Radio Norfolk today and apparently after Saturdays programme they had many texts from people willing to contribute including one lady who offered £500. They are trying to get Neil Doncaster on tomorrows programme and will put it to him then, so there''s a chance that it may happen.

One thing''s for sure, we have never had a player of his calibre at this football club before and if we could pull it off our chances of promotion would increase significantly. The club belongs to us, the supporters so why shouldn''t we help if we can. My money is ready and waiting.

Lovely idea, but as I said before no way will it happen. Lets do some maths.

Huckerby x £20000 per week = £1M per year.
24 other professional on average £5000 per week = £6M per year.

Is Huckerby worth more to the team than 4 x a Green, 4 x a Drury, 4 x an Edworthy, 4 x a Francis, 4 x a Holt, 4 x a McVeigh?

If you think yes then stump up your £100, I do not think he is worth that sort of money, and I suspect that the majority of the 16500 people at Carra think the same, I would be very surprised if just 500 people actually gave £100 + to the Huckerby appeal. Note it was many texts not hundreds or thousands, or even the 10,000 we need to pay for 1 years wages.

As for your last statement that made my blood boil, Huckerby could not tie the laces of some of the players below. He has 5 caps (1 x B 4 x U21). The following have full international caps.

Craig Bellamy.
Mark Bowen.
Mick Channon.
Darren Eadie.
Bryan Gunn.
Asa Hartford.
Paul McVeigh.
Phil Mulryne.
Martin O Neill.
Martin Peters. Didnt he win the world cup?
David Phillips.
Iwan Roberts.
Chris Sutton.
Dave Watson.
Chris Woods.

And what if we sign him and he does a cruciate like poor old Zema, would you pay him £20,000 a week to look good in the treatment room? Don''t get me wrong I think that Hucks is a fine player and has already contributed much to the City cause, but no way would I pay a tenner let alone £100.

What an absolutely ridiculous measure of player quality ''full'' international caps are. So our two Northern Ireland internationals who have played in a poor side, that haven''t found the net in a hundred years, are automatically better than someone with lower grade England honours? What tosh. Darren Huckerby is a maverick who would never be trusted by any England manager in a long line that includes the likes of Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington and Glen Hoddle. The man is demonstrably someone who can singlehandedly change the course of a game and from your list of ex City internationals, I would think perhaps around half of them are/were genuinely in that category.

Darren Eadie never got a full England cap. He trained with them under Hoddle but injuries (shock horror) always prevented him from playing. The fact is Huckerby has set the place alight, and has filled the team with new ideas and confidence. We look a totally different side with him in there. Whilst Bowen, Goss, et al are Norwich legends, I''d take Huckerby over almost all of them.

He certainly isn''t the best ever player to wear the shirt, but he''s better than anyone else at the club currently. We don''t stand much chance of promotion without him.

Just look at NW''s comments about Huckerby. Reading those I am convinced that he will do everything that he can to get him here. But I fear that the price will be high: realistically even with a huge input from supporters we just don''t have the cash at the moment. So I think the only way he will come is a spart of a swap and we all know who the likely contenders are. It would be highly amusing to swap Easton but we only have a few players who could fit in a Premiership : Green (why when you have Seaman?), Drury, Mulryne perhaps, McVeigh.

Huckerby is the first player we have had since Bellamy who can change a game on his own, they don''t come along everyday and if we do want him we will have to take the pain of one of the above leaving.

As to the post above about injuries, if you are frightened by that then you will never sign anyone. The club probably has insurance for the wages in any event.

Freddy H, what planet are you on? Huckerby is equal to or better than all the people in your list that i''ve seen play. He causes problems in defences and creates AND scores goals virtually everytime he gets the ball.

You can argue the various merits of all the players involved but to suggest that he''s "not fit to tie the boots" of those players is the most ridiculous thing i''ve heard all week!

I have to point this out but most of the players you arelisting last played for us almost ten years ago. Huckerby is the last piece in the jigsaw more or less. A real quality player NOW, I dont care what happened yesterday, if we want to go anywhere it has to be done NOW.

I am a poor, poor student but if it comes to it I will take a loan out to put in £100 for him. People on here have stated time and time again that it is all down to the board, they should splash the cash. So far in the last three to four seasons they have bought us, a new state of the art accademy set up, quickly beckoming recognised as one of the best which has also gifted us, Jarvis, Henderson, Sinclair, Shackell and there is more yet to come surely. Then we have the stadium expansion/renevations. Plus the plan to build a hotel which will provide money for the club not to mention Delias resteraunt which has also brought in money and celebs.

Then there are the players they have baught, even when times were real hard Delia threw 400k into the team to sign Ancelin, a player I feel we should have kept. In the last three years we have slowly building towards a good squad of players. And Huckerby has proved that. He is the match to our fuel and you can see that its burning quite nicely now.

So perhaps it is about time that people stop winging about what the board doesnt do and show all the teams in this league how we can help our team directly, yes, maybe its time we splashed the cash!

This season is as good as any!

I hear what you are saying Chicken but Roger Munby on Radio Norfolk yesterday stated that even if the 10000 fans stumped up the 100 pounds each it would still only be a drop in the ocean with regards the finances that are needed. He stated that he has to be realisitc and maybe it is about time that we were as well. When the crunch comes to the crunch we probably would not get nowhere near the 10000 putting in the cash anyway as people always say they will till its time put up or shut up. Yes there are other factors to consider like the qualtiy of life here but surely they were the same factors of consideration when he was at Nottm Forest last season and he still went back to Man City. I still believe we are living in Walter Mitty land expecting us to get him but never mind hopefully Worthy has identified someone for when he returns.

You can''t be serious Freddy. Huckerby not fit to tie the laces of the likes of Iwan Roberts who has spent nearly all his long career at Nationwide level and never scored in his few international games !!!
There has never been such a buzz around the city since our Europe adventures and it is all down to Huckerby and that is not to say the likes of Bowen, Sutton, Bellamy and Eadie were anything other than top notch players. I work with some guys who have never been known to discuss football but who are now quizzing me about D.H..

Hey come on I''m only stating my viewpoints. I like Huckerby and he has created some excitement at Carra over the last month and probably will do for the next two. I would love it, just love it if we could sign him, but we won''t.

Bernard. Are you saying that you think Mulryne & McVeigh are Cr@p because they play for a side that are going through a poor run of form? I am sure they are immensely proud to pull on the green Irish shirt, and all City supporters should be proud that they are representing our club at the highest level. Of course neither of them has changed the course of a game recently! (Stoke, Reading). At least you agree that half my internationals are the same quality as Hucks.

Bedford Boy & Tacklebury. Don''t tell me that Darren Eadie is not a living legend, ok so he never won a full cap but what a talent he was for Norwich. Years of loyalty and 16 goals when we were rubbish, he should have been in the premier much sooner. One of my favourite moments at Carra was when Darren came off the bench and netted a scorcher against Crewe after months of injury. The stadium erupted and it made the hairs on your neck stand up, no he never turned a game either. As for Hucks being better than others at the club at present, remember that we have to defend as well as attack, are you saying that Edworthy, Holt, Francis are cr@p, just because they are not creating chances? Its a team game!

Tumbleweed. Probably the only person who replied to my posts that is viewing the Huckerby situation without rose tinted specs. Good point about injury insurance, I hadn''t thought of that.

a1canary. Planet reality. How many have you seen? Martin Peters was perhaps the finest player to wear a Norwich Shirt. Huckerby has scored 3 in 5 that’s not ''virtually every time he gets the ball'' in my book. You are right about me spouting ridiculous stuff though.

chicken. Its ten years since we were a decent side that is what is worrying about the list. Sometimes your mate lends you a jigsaw, you have fun completing it, but eventually it has to go back. How many millions did the kitchens, academy, stadium developments, and hotel cost? All money that has not been invested in the team. I for one would rather have cr@p facilities and a Premiership team. Cedric, where is he now? Huckerby is one of those matches that burns for a while, peters out, reignites, burns out... just ask, Lincoln, Newcastle, Millwall, Coventry, Leeds, Man City & Notts Forest, they all traded him for a reliable low cost gas lighter that works every time.

Bomber. Well said.

Intenso. Huckerby 85 goals in 10 years for 8 different teams, 5 international caps at lower level. Roberts 145 goals in 10 years for 3 different teams, 15 full international caps. Did you miss the buzz in the run in to Cardiff? Again its nice to see that you agree that there have been lots of high calibre players apart from Hucks.

Thanks to you all there have been some fantastic replies to my intentionally controversial posting, its nice to see that people have taken time to constructively answer my points without resorting to cheap digs. OTBC and lets hope that we can sign Huckerby, Harper & Crouch soon.

Playing in a poor side that doesn''t get results does not in itself a poor player make. What it does say is that the process of winning a cap is generally devalued by average players getting a game they wouldn''t otherwise get in better times. Also I''m not saying Mulryne and McVeigh are not capable of influencing the course of games - they shouldn''t be on the field if they are not capable of this in their positions. It''s just that Huckerby looks as though he''s going to do it nearly every time he gains possession. I''ll leave you with final a point re your assertion that a full cap is somehow an automatic measure of a players ability. David James has innumerable England caps, Kevin Keelan never got one. Nuff said?

Woah, hang on, when did I say anything along the lines of Eadie not being a living legend?? I loved watching the guy, I was desperate for some miraculous recovery from his knee injury that would see him back in the canary shirt this season. My sarcasm ("shock horror") was aimed at the fact he always got injured at crucial times - such as whilst training with the England squad, and thus never getting his full cap.

I appreciate that we''ve got to defend as well as attack, and we have a good, mid-table to edge of playoffs side which defends well. Edworthy and Francis have proved excellent signings and never look like they''ll put a foot wrong. But Huckerby in full flow can put us well into contention this year. That''s all I was saying. I appreciate signing him is almost certainly never going to happen, but it''d be nice to think that we''d try and do all we could to keep him here.

[quote user="Freddy H"]Lovely idea, but as I said before no way will it happen. Lets do some maths.

Huckerby x £20000 per week = £1M per year.
24 other professional on average £5000 per week = £6M per year.

Is Huckerby worth more to the team than 4 x a Green, 4 x a Drury, 4 x an Edworthy, 4 x a Francis, 4 x a Holt, 4 x a McVeigh?

If you think yes then stump up your £100, I do not think he is worth that sort of money, and I suspect that the majority of the 16500 people at Carra think the same, I would be very surprised if just 500 people actually gave £100 + to the Huckerby appeal. Note it was many texts not hundreds or thousands, or even the 10,000 we need to pay for 1 years wages.

As for your last statement that made my blood boil, Huckerby could not tie the laces of some of the players below. He has 5 caps (1 x B 4 x U21). The following have full international caps.

Craig Bellamy.
Mark Bowen.
Mick Channon.
Darren Eadie.
Bryan Gunn.
Asa Hartford.
Paul McVeigh.
Phil Mulryne.
Martin O Neill.
Martin Peters. Didnt he win the world cup?
David Phillips.
Iwan Roberts.
Chris Sutton.
Dave Watson.
Chris Woods.

And what if we sign him and he does a cruciate like poor old Zema, would you pay him £20,000 a week to look good in the treatment room? Don''t get me wrong I think that Hucks is a fine player and has already contributed much to the City cause, but no way would I pay a tenner let alone £100.

[/quote]

I don''t remember Hucks saying he wanted 20k a week , and I think he fits well into the list of past stars  , on an equal basis...by the way ....have you ever been to a game ?