Sign in to follow this  
newcastle uni canary

player ratings

just got back from the game sorry if this thread already existsForster 7Didn''t really have too much to do but the few times he was called into action he performed admirably. Kicking was abit poor at times though  Francomb 6Made a few mistakes but generally rcovered the error himself. look abit out of his depth towards the end Doherty 6looked abit like he''s slipping into his old habits of giving away silly freekicks

Askou 8looked very solid Drury 6didn''t delight me or disapoint meSmith 7is becoming a key player for usRussell 7plays the holding role very well Lappin 7delivery was good throughout Hoolahan; Holt, Martin 7all would have been 8s if they just shot abit more(adeyemi 82) 7played ok but seemed out of postion (McDonald, 87) 7didn''t really get a chance.

I wasn''t at the game, but giving Doherty and Drury a 6 when we kept a clean sheet, and McDonald a 7 when he managed to get booked and not do his job properly seems a bit wrong!

[quote user="I.S."]I wasn''t at the game, but giving Doherty and Drury a 6 when we kept a clean sheet, and McDonald a 7 when he managed to get booked and not do his job properly seems a bit wrong![/quote]this is fairly key drury didn''t bring much into the attackdoherty has started climbing over the back of people againmcdonald got booked because he threw himself into a 50/50 challenge

[quote user="Herman "]Cheers for that mate.Hope you had a good day out! Long trip???[/quote]at uni in newcastle so the trip wasn''t too long. was a good day would have been better if i didn''t have freshers flu

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"][quote user="I.S."]I wasn''t at the game, but giving Doherty and Drury a 6 when we kept a clean sheet, and McDonald a 7 when he managed to get booked and not do his job properly seems a bit wrong![/quote]this is fairly key drury didn''t bring much into the attackdoherty has started climbing over the back of people againmcdonald got booked because he threw himself into a 50/50 challenge [/quote]Fair enough, it''s your opinion and I''m not doubting you, but I''m just surprised you gave McDonald a 7 for 6 minutes play in which he did nothing but get booked!

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"][quote user="I.S."]I wasn''t at the game, but giving Doherty and Drury a 6 when we kept a clean sheet, and McDonald a 7 when he managed to get booked and not do his job properly seems a bit wrong![/quote]this is fairly key drury didn''t bring much into the attackdoherty has started climbing over the back of people againmcdonald got booked because he threw himself into a 50/50 challenge [/quote]Fair enough, it''s your opinion and I''m not doubting you, but I''m just surprised you gave McDonald a 7 for 6 minutes play in which he did nothing but get booked![/quote]to be fair i think i was over-generous there

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"][quote user="Herman "]Cheers for that mate.Hope you had a good day out! Long trip???[/quote]

at uni in newcastle so the trip wasn''t too long. was a good day would have been better if i didn''t have freshers flu
[/quote]

Freshers flu?? A vodka lemsip will sort that out[Y]

[quote user="Brendan"]Vodka Lemsip. Nooooo (N)[/quote]

I thought i had invented a great new cocktail,then i remembered booze and paracetemol don''t mix[:$] Especially at student quantities!!

Just back from the game now. A very enjoyable day out and it''s always good to get 3 points away from home. Overall I think we deserved the win, although we sat too deep in the second half and allowed a very average Carlisle side to assert some unnecessary pressure. Still, we looked fairly resolute in defence and it seems that we now have the spirit to grind out these results. Anyway on with the ratings...

Forster - 8 - Very safe pair of hands, made one good stop with his legs in the first half and always got the ball when he tried to claim it. Made a brilliant diving save towards the end of the match and although it was given offside anyway, he wasn''t to know at the time. Kicking was ok and he seems like a confident lad. A good performance.

Drury - 7 - A steady performance from Mr. Consistency. Offered very little going forward but then was solid enough at the back. Don''t remember his winger getting past him too often. His distribution was quite good too.

Askou - 8.5 (MOM) - I thought he played really well. Solid as a rock in the air and quick to snuff out any danger on the floor as well. Showed some pace to make a crucial tackle when one of their lads was almost clean through on goal. Gave no free-kicks away (take note Doc!) and was just very, very reliable. Looked chuffed with the win at the end when he gave the old two-handed fist pump to the fans in celebration.

Doherty - 7.5 - Would have been higher but for that fact that he persists in wrestling with opposition strikers at every opportunity. He conceded a dangerous free-kick that could have cost us points. Other than that he was solid in the air and made a few good clearances too. I think Askou had to cover for him once or twice and they seem to have a good understanding already.

Francomb - 6.5 - I don''t want to be too harsh on a young lad and I thought he did OK for his first league start. However he was clearly nervous and looked a little out of his depth towards the end - as highlighted by him being replaced by Smith for the last 10 minutes or so. It was a solid enough run-out and he definitely has potential. He made one good forward run and cross, however too many balls were just lumped aimlessly down the line in panic mode. One for the future I''m sure.

Lappin - 6.5 - A decent enough performance and he certainly puts in a lot of effort. I was a little disappointed with some of his deliveries from corners and his passing was a little wayward at times. Still, very solid and tracks back well when needed.

Russell - 7 - Marshalled the defence well and made a few good interceptions/tackles at important times. Seemed to be helping young Francomb out quite a bit and helped his back four out well. However, was caught in possession on a couple of occasions and that could be costly against better opposition.

Smith - 7 - First time I''ve seen young Korey and I must say I''m already a fan. A little dynamo of a player who is always chasing and harrying the opposition players. Confident when in possession of the ball and broke up attacks well. Seemed to tire (understandably) towards the end but still covered ably for Francomb when moved to right back for the last 10 minutes. A key player.

Hoolahan - 7.5 - Typical Wes, mercurial, enigmatic and blody annoying at times! He got the all important goal and still looks like the main creative force in the team. Brilliant left foot, non-existent right foot and likes to make things more complicated for himself at times. Still he''s a key, key player and he always looks to receive the ball and make things happen - thus he is more likely to make mistakes.

Martin - 7 - Put in a good shift although missed both of his most presentable chances. Set-up Wes for the all-important goal and was always trying to do things with the ball. Didn''t get much change out of the ref or the Carlise back-four and was unlucky at times not to get more reward for his efforts.

Holt - 7 - Again a good enough shift from the big man. He''s surprisingly good with the ball at his feet and should really have had an assist to his name if Korey had finished the chance he brilliantly created for him. Didn''t win as many headers as I perhaps thought he would. Still, was a strong presence throughout.

Subs

McDonald - 6 - Was unlucky to get booked for what looked like a 50:50 challenge. Always gives the fans a boost when he comes on and is full of running.

Adeyemi - 6 - Solid enough down the right.

Amazing how we all see the game differently:

Thought Drury had a blinder. Was amazed to see him so far up the pitch but whipped in a couple of very decent deliveries. crossed over very well with Lappin.

Doc as already mentioned was in wrestling mode. Gave away a silly free kick in a dangerous position. However was as strong on the ground as Askou was in the air. They teamed up and played well considering their worrying lack of pace!!!

Rusty was the quiet hero today. Is being forced to play deeper and therefore misses out on the limelight but did a solid job today, esp as Korey was a yard of the pace (looked like he was carrying a slight knock)

Quick word for Francomb, looked overawed in the first half against a strong left winger. seemed to get pulled out of place frequently. However to be fair he came into the game as time went on. He was obviously losing the battle to start with due to a lack of confidence and being slightly outmuscled by a competent left winger. However he is as fit as a butchers dog and started to get into it more as the opposition tired.

All in all a scrappy game, and I`m not sure how other fans thought we could have won by 3 or 4 clear goals?? Still a win is a win and we may well look back on these sort of results at the end of the season and think that these kind of points were the ones that managed to carry us over the finish line

Have to agree with Mutley''s analysis generally.  I thought Drury had a really good game and certainly did get forwards a number of times including one occasion when he got virtually through on goal.  Doc and Askou were solid at the heart of defence and needed to be.  Rusty played a very disciplined role just in front of the back four and Smith also had a solid game.

Francomb was OK in parts but he was our weakest defender today, getting turned inside out several times and it was not surprising when he got pulled off.  He did better going forwards and he certainly didn''t disgrace himself so I hope he has learned from his experience.  I felt that Lappin drifted in and out of the game as did Martin.  I felt that Martin got caught on his heels too often and seemed to wait for things to happen and then set off rather than anticipating what might happen.  He seems to be great when he has the ball at his feet and has a head of steam.  Hoolahan was his usual frustrating self!  If only he could rid himself of his annoying habit of turning to try and go past every defender at least twice before having a strike at goal.  There were a couple of occasions when he had good openings but ruined them by going round in circles!  Given all this, I though it was really rich that he gave Smith some real stick for having a go at goal when he only had the goalie to beat when he was on the other side of the box unmarked.  Love him or hate him - that''s our Wes.  Holt was nothing like as big a threat as in many other games but I was impressed that he still put in a real shift defending set pieces.

Overall, it was great to get the win, especially after such a long trip, but the performance was at best "workmanlike".  I got the feeling that there was a bit of the old "we''re better than you and just need to turn up to win" attitude from some of our team.  There was a real lack of movement going forwards for a lot of the time and a lack of pace and urgency. Not completely convinced about playing the diamond in midfield - didn''t seem to be effective today and perhaps contributed to us inviting them on at the end.

Anyway, they say the the mark of a good side is winning when you don''t play particularly well.  On today''s performance we''ve got a good side!

[quote user="Chris Martins Barmy Army"]just got back from the game sorry if this thread already existsForster 7Didn''t really have too much to do but the few times he was called into action he performed admirably. Kicking was abit poor at times though  Francomb 6Made a few mistakes but generally rcovered the error himself. look abit out of his depth towards the end Doherty 6looked abit like he''s slipping into his old habits of giving away silly freekicks

Askou 8looked very solid Drury 7actually did contribute to the attackSmith 7is becoming a key player for usRussell 7plays the holding role very well Lappin 7delivery was good throughout Hoolahan; Holt, Martin 7all would have been 8s if they just shot abit more(adeyemi 82) 6played ok but seemed out of postion (McDonald, 87) 6didn''t really get a chance. [/quote]revised after watching highlights are realising i was over generous towards the subs

Just to echo some of the comment above it really does never fail to amaze me how differently we can all see the same game. I thought both Lappin and Smith were completely off the pace on saturday and the midfield went missing for long periods. If it had not been for Russell we would have been in trouble. Also thought Askou (who I rate) got done by Dobie on a number of occasions and had one of his weaker games.