Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

How would you describe our side?

[quote user="Norwich"]Reasons for disputing it NN?[/quote]

Because he''s not a liability when the balls played over the top. Was it Doc who fouled the Sunderland player and got sent off? Was it Doc who misjudged the ball over the top that cost the first goal against Wycombe?

He doesn''t make me nervous because he is our best defender. Was it Doc at fault for those missed headers against Charlton and Wycombe? Was it Doc who gave away the penalty against Bristol Rovers? Of course he was at fault for the first Sunderland goal when he slipped but most goals will result from a defenders mistake. My point is that he makes less mistakes than the others.

How about you give me some reasons why I shouldn''t dispute it?[:)]

Doc has a well known lack of pace, Beckford is quick, add that one up. I think Doc is good, just slow, askou is our best signing on a par with Holt and Hughes.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I reckon Doc is as quick as Askou Jimmy.

[/quote]

Speaking personally I hope you get shot of him and switch to Nelson.[<:o)][:^)][^]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks Cam[:|]

[/quote]

You''re welcome, as they say in Ireland.  And Semmy back as well.  A Wandering Minstrel if ever I saw one.[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You''re welcome, as they say in Ireland.  And Semmy back as well.  A Wandering Minstrel if ever I saw one.[;)]

[/quote]

Or as they sing in Ireland -

[8]And it''s no, nay, never,
no, nay, never, no more
will I play the wild rover
no, never, no more [;)]

Proud member of the English Folk Dance and Song Society for 42 years.  The Scots claim it but it is in dispute.

Tempted to send off my lyrics for "Poor old Doc" to Ashley Hutchings to see what he can make of them.

But meanwhile:

Now Delaney had a donkey that everyone admired,
Tempo''rily lazy and permanently tired
A leg at ev''ry corner balancing his head,
And a tail to let you know which end he wanted to be fed
Riley slyly said "We''ve underrated it, why not train it?"
Then he took a rag
They rubbed it, scrubbed it,
They oiled and embrocated it,
Got it to the post
And when the starter dropped his flag
There was Riley pushing it, shoving it, shushing it
Hogan, Logan and ev''ryone in town lined up
Attacking it and shoving it and smacking it
They might as well have tried to push the Town Hall down
The donkey was eyeing them,
Openly defying them
Winking, blinking and twisting out of place
Riley reversing it,
Ev''rybody cursing it
The day Delaney''s donkey ran the halfmile race.

The muscles of the mighty never known to flinch,
They couldn''t budge the donkey a quarter of an inch
Delaney lay exhausted, hanging round its throat
With a grip just like a Scotchman on a five pound note
Starter, Carter, he lined up with the rest of ''em.
When it saw them, it was willing then
It raced up, braced up, ready for the best of ''em.
They started off to cheer it but it changed its mind again
There was Riley pushing it, shoving it and shushing it
Hogan, Logan and Mary Ann Macgraw,
She started poking it, grabbing it and choking it
It kicked her in the bustle and it laughed "Hee Haw!"
The whigs, the conservatives,
Radical superlatives
Libr''rals and tories,
They hurried to the place
Stood there in unity,
Helping the community
The day Delaney''s donkey ran the halfmile race.

The crowd began to cheer it. Then Rafferty, the judge
He came to assist them, but still it wouldn''t budge
The jockey who was riding, little John MacGee,
Was so thoroughly disgusted that he went to have his tea
Hagan, Fagan was students of psychology,
Swore they''d shift it with some dynamite
They bought it, brought it, then without apology
The donkey gave a sneeze and blew the darn stuff out of sight
There was Riley pushing it, shoving it and shushing it
Hogan, Logan and all the bally crew,
P''lice, and auxil''ary,
The Garrison Artillery
The Second Enniskillen''s and the Life Guards too
They seized it and harried it,
They picked it up and carried it
Cheered it, steered it to the winning place
Then the Bookies drew aside,
They all commited suicide
Well, the day Delaney''s donkey won the halfmile race.

[;)]

Dronny - You seem to think I am a doom merchant. I most certainly am not, I am over the moon with recent results and nothing will change that. You just need to wake up a bit and realise we still have faults at the back, and I am not just laying the blame on the Doc.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I am seriously worried about Semmy coming back into the squad for the Leeds game. Is it really any coincidence that the goals have stopped going in from open play since he''s been injured? I think a decent right-back is a higher priority than a replacement for Doherty at this time...

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Brendan"]to be honest, i think Nelson is worse than Doc of what i have seen![/quote]

nelson has been unlucky, leaves HARLEPOOL and then butterworth leaves !!

[/quote]How unlucky is that ? Butterworth leaves and takes the T with him!

Those who think Doherty is a liability should study our defensive record since his reinstatement into the first team, 1 goal conceded in 4 games, and that goal was a penalty.

Now I know that this record is not all down to Doherty but he has been part of the team that has made it.

People are of course allowed their own opinion whether its the right call is another story completely.

I am not saying in the last 4 games, I am just trying to state that he has done enough over the years to scare people when the commentator says "Long ball over the top and Doherty will have to deal with it under the pressure from the attacker"...out comes his bear hug.

Thanks for the opinion statement, agree totally. Unfortunately Dronny doesn''t.

I too agree everybody is entitled to their opinins. And I wouldn''t argue with a poster who said they didn''t rate Doc because they don''t like him. It''s just all these fouls, free kicks and penalties don''t really happen. I don''t think he fouls or gives away fee kiks and penalties more than any other centreback. And I''d go as far as to say if he didn''t foul at times he wouldn''t be such a good defender.

Fair enough mate, I just seem to see it lots more with the Doc, but as you say that could just be a coincidence. I have nothing against the lad, on his day he is a good defender. Its just these stupid ''bear hugs'' that get on my tits. However, Askou might do it just as much. I am not one to judge as I have only been to a handful of games this season.

[quote user="Norwich"]I am not saying in the last 4 games, I am just trying to state that he has done enough over the years to scare people when the commentator says "Long ball over the top and Doherty will have to deal with it under the pressure from the attacker"...out comes his bear hug. Thanks for the opinion statement, agree totally. Unfortunately Dronny doesn''t.[/quote]

Just to clarify - I have never said that I don''t think that people should be entitled to have opinions, just that it would be nice if yours could be more "enlightened"!  In fact one of the main reasons I come on here is to read other people''s opinions and especially those that are different from mine.  I don''t always agree with what people say but there are plenty of people on here whose opinions I respect.   The particular point that I take issue with is the statement that Doherty "is always a liability".  He may be clumsy, he may occasionally do something daft,  he certainly does at times overdo the grabbing and hugging but he also does a lot of good at the heart of the defence that some people just don''t appreciate.  As for your comments about needing to "wake up" to our weaknesses at the back well I''m afraid that I''ve always been wide awake where this is concerned BUT not all directed at one player.  I have certainly seen plenty of mistakes from Askou, Nelson, Semi et al but we do need to keep a sense of perspective here - what do you expect playing in the 3rd Division? John Terry?  These lads, playing at this level are doing OK.  Having read the wise words of Nutty I''d be interested in whether you have changed your "opinion" that Doc is "always a liability"?  Go on admit it - he''s ugly and sometimes irritating (a bit like me) but he''s not always awful! 

[quote user="Norwich"]Fair enough mate, I just seem to see it lots more with the Doc, but as you say that could just be a coincidence. I have nothing against the lad, on his day he is a good defender. Its just these stupid ''bear hugs'' that get on my tits. However, Askou might do it just as much. I am not one to judge as I have only been to a handful of games this season.[/quote]

Doc does it a lot because he usually gets the oppositions most physical striker. And it is obvious with Doc but to be fair to him usually he is being fouled and if he didnt hang on he''d end up on the deck. A real physical battle is when you see Alan Lee and The Doc go head to head. Now that is like a wrestling match. I remember at Portman Road a few seasons ago Lee gave Doc a hell of an afternoon. But Doc held his ground and didn''t give an inch. All those 20,000 binners were howling for free kicks and penalties all afternoon but the ref stayed strong and gave them nothing. The game was live on Sky and when I got back this messageboard was howling about Doc as much as the binners were. Now it maybe more difficult to tell on TV or maybe the commentator influenced them? But what I do know is Doc gave as good as he got  from lee and gave him virtually nothing all afternoon. His thanks for such a brave and strong performance on the enemy''s turf was a load of Donkey posts on here. That''s why I wonder about some of the posters on here sometimes. Not you my friend[;)]

Dronny - I have said many times he is a decent defender, I am happy for him to be in the starting eleven. I was just stating my annoyance for the bear hugs but I am now realizing that maybe I was wrong. Its not just Doc, I always knew that but I have never seen anyone do it as much as him. That might just be me though.

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny - I have said many times he is a decent defender, I am happy for him to be in the starting eleven. I was just stating my annoyance for the bear hugs but I am now realizing that maybe I was wrong. Its not just Doc, I always knew that but I have never seen anyone do it as much as him. That might just be me though.[/quote]

[:P]  Jesus H Christ!! Is this an alter ego of yours, Nigel?    

[quote user="Norwich"]Dronny - I have said many times he is a decent defender, I am happy for him to be in the starting eleven. I was just stating my annoyance for the bear hugs but I am now realizing that maybe I was wrong. Its not just Doc, I always knew that but I have never seen anyone do it as much as him. That might just be me though.[/quote]

To be honest the whole lot of them have been annoying and frustrating at times in the past couple of years, including Doc.  Given that, it can be difficult to accept that the whole team is playing OK at the moment - even Doc!  I suspect I get just as irritated as you but about different things and different players!