Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Doherty

[quote user="Michael Starr"] I''m fully expecting Doherty to give away at least one penalty on Monday against Leeds.[/quote]What, like the other one actual penalty he''s given away in the last two seasons? The laughable thing is that when/if he does actually give away a penalty, the usual lot will be saying "I told you so, yet another penalty", when in reality there have not been that many in his Norwich career.I''ve come to the conclusion that there''s no point in arguing with Doherty haters - whatever he does he cannot win, especially when things he doesn''t even do get held against him as well. I mean, for Christ''s sake, 1 goal conceded in 4 games, 3 clean sheets, no goals conceded from open play (and apart from a few long shots, no real chances for the opposition), and people are still saying he''s a liability, or giving credit to anyone else but the Doc.You''ve just go to look at the England game last night to see that even the "best" English central defenders are capable of making horrendous mistakes. Personally I don''t think we would be able to find a better centre back than Doherty given our current league and financial constraints.

I actually don''t mind the Doc....But he needs to address his clumsy ''Grizzly Bear'' huggin''......Because 6 times out of 10 - the ref will give a free kick against us....Unfortunately, him being a defender....It''ll more than likely be in a dangerous dead-ball position not far from our goal.

When forwards back in all defenders hold on. The alternative is to go over and you can''t rely on refs to give the free kicks. A defenders job is to stop goals. I only saw the highlights yesterday but I saw two very similar incidents involving Dobie. The first Doc stood his ground, didn''t let Dobie get away, and the referee gave them a free kick just outside the box. The second Askou committed the same "offence" but Dobie got away and had a clear shot on goal virtually one on one with the keeper. Now which was the best chance to score - the free kick? Or the one on one? But in both cases had our defenders not held on and gone over the player would have been free a lot easier and could we have been sure the ref would have given the free kick?

The point about the protection the back four get from the midfield since Lambert has been here is valid. It''s something a few of us on here kept mentioning last season. The lack of protection from midfield was the cause of many of our defensive problems. But we had the same protection against Wycombe and Charlton but still gave away four soft goals.

[quote user="Michael Starr"] I''m fully expecting Doherty to give away at least one penalty on Monday against Leeds. [/quote]What a ridiculous thing to say.

Couldnt agree more. To be honest I am not convinced it was a foul. Doc just stopped going backwards to head the ball and the Forward tried to back into him . Very much a 50 / 50 situation where I suspect the forward went for a foul by wrestling a bit with Doc.In away matches you are bound to get a bit of pressure , Francombe looked terrible early on . But you just need cover from your Keeper which was provided well by Forster.Kavvanaugh should have been sent off could have broken a leg with that late challenge on Hools , I suspect he was lucky was last minute but technically that challenge deserved red and the ref should have done the right thing because if Hools hadnt jumped out of the way he would have been badly injured and no player should get away with that kind of challenge

[quote user="CJ"]Couldnt agree more. To be honest I am not convinced it was a foul. Doc just stopped going backwards to head the ball and the Forward tried to back into him . Very much a 50 / 50 situation where I suspect the forward went for a foul by wrestling a bit with Doc.In away matches you are bound to get a bit of pressure , Francombe looked terrible early on . But you just need cover from your Keeper which was provided well by Forster.Kavvanaugh should have been sent off could have broken a leg with that late challenge on Hools , I suspect he was lucky was last minute but technically that challenge deserved red and the ref should have done the right thing because if Hools hadnt jumped out of the way he would have been badly injured and no player should get away with that kind of challenge [/quote]

It was their centre-back, not Kavanagh, but a nasty lunge nonetheless and should have been a red really.

I''m not Doc''s biggest fan but recent form and clean sheets doesn''t justify the continued moaning about him.

[quote user="CJ"]Couldnt agree more. To be honest I am not convinced it was a foul. Doc just stopped going backwards to head the ball and the Forward tried to back into him . Very much a 50 / 50 situation where I suspect the forward went for a foul by wrestling a bit with Doc.
In away matches you are bound to get a bit of pressure , Francombe looked terrible early on . But you just need cover from your Keeper which was provided well by Forster.
Kavvanaugh should have been sent off could have broken a leg with that late challenge on Hools , I suspect he was lucky was last minute but technically that challenge deserved red and the ref should have done the right thing because if Hools hadnt jumped out of the way he would have been badly injured and no player should get away with that kind of challenge
[/quote]

There was no "technically" about it.  That was a stonewall red card.  A shocking two-footed challenge where the player launched himself in an obviously reckless manner.  The ref should have seen it and dealt with it.  Their player had clearly lost it because a couple of decisions hadn''t gone his way and the red mist appeared.  He could easily have broken Wes'' leg and that would have left us without a key player for months.  Didn''t rate the ref''s performance all afternoon.  Missed a lot both ways but (and its nice to see for a rare occasion) I felt he generally favoured us.

Have a look at Askou''s defending in this clip from the BBC - after 1 minute 49 seconds.  How does that look to you?http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/default.stmIf this had been Doc, he''d be slated over and over, but because it''s JBA it''s not commented on.  Same old double standards.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Have a look at Askou''s defending in this clip from the BBC - after 1 minute 49 seconds.  How does that look to you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/default.stm

If this had been Doc, he''d be slated over and over, but because it''s JBA it''s not commented on.  Same old double standards.

[/quote]

I admit that I was saying that the time had come to ship Doc out earlier in the season, and I  think he was playing poorly at that time. Since then he has done a really sound job and deserves a great deal of credit. Sadly, he is a "marmite" player and will always be villified by a number of posters, but that''s just the nature of fans.

I liked how he was asking the ref what he had done wrong and looked stunned that a free kick had be awarded against him! This is football Gary, not rugby

[quote user="canarytom"]I liked how he was asking the ref what he had done wrong and looked stunned that a free kick had be awarded against him! This is football Gary, not rugby[/quote]

I would imagine he was asking the ref what he was supposed to do[:O] How do you stay on your feet in those circumstances without holding on[:^)]

[quote user="canarytom"]I liked how he was asking the ref what he had done wrong and looked stunned that a free kick had be awarded against him! This is football Gary, not rugby[/quote]Oh, and I''m sure you''re the first to complain at all the holding and shirt-pulling that Holt and Askou (amongst others) also partake in - and definitely not just singling Doherty out for criticism?It''s football Tom, not netball. Still, I would much prefer that Doherty let someone turn him and get a chance of a one-on-one at goal, than give away a free-kick.

On the flip side arguing with D''OHerty die hards is like talking to a cat. No matter all the points made, they focus on the piece of dangling string about him being the best we''ve had since he got here 2 relegations ago. Yes, they will do that rubbing against your leg thing admitting he is clumsy and makes huge mistakes, but what about some other guy!  There is always an excuse for him, but..oh wait, there''s that string again and I gotta take a swipe at it.

It''s certainly remarkably similar to cats.

Call a dog and it will come running.  Call a cat and it may take a message and get back to you.

You obviously know as little about cats as you do about football.

Cannot say as to your knowledge of dogs.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Call a dog and it will come running.  Call a cat and it may take a message and get back to you.

[/quote][:D] Nothing to add, except isn''t this the second week in a row Doc has been in the Football League 1 top 11 players?

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[:D] Nothing to add, except isn''t this the second week in a row Doc has been in the Football League 1 top 11 players?
[/quote]

Doherty is a stopper.  Yes, he sometimes uses the Rugby code but, if he gets away with it, he is still a stopper.

Me? I like stoppers at the back.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Your knowledge of football has been called into question a lot lately, Camel Toe, especially in regards to all the false rumors you post with such authori-tay (Carman-esque voice and attitude with that last word).

Your knowledge of animals is about as accurate as your knowledge of people. You''ve obviously never had a pet, or never bothered to care for it if you had one. That might partially explain how empty of personality you seem.

GoD does seem to have found his level, albeit 2 relegations too late. Even here, his olf habits seem to be creeping back in. Might be time to let him sit out a game or 2 to keep him sharp.

agreed .. this time last year we were having a player sent off nearly every week. we have won the last four games on the trot and let in one goal. to give one dangerous free kick away in that amount of games i would say is pretty good to be honest.he is not a million pound defender playing premiership football but at the moment he is doing a good job.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]On the flip side arguing with D''OHerty die hards is like talking to a cat. No matter all the points made, they focus on the piece of dangling string about him being the best we''ve had since he got here 2 relegations ago. Yes, they will do that rubbing against your leg thing admitting he is clumsy and makes huge mistakes, but what about some other guy!  There is always an excuse for him, but..oh wait, there''s that string again and I gotta take a swipe at it.[/quote]Go on, then.  Find me one single post where someone says "Gary Doherty is the best centre back we''ve had at this club since we were in the Premiership".You will find many which say he''s the best we have at the moment, and I''m one of those.And what should we make of the folk who, despite Doc coming back into the team and being part of a defence which has conceded 1 goal in 4 games, and despite Doc being in the League One team of the week 2 weeks running, still maintain he''s useless and unsettles those around him?  Are they cats?  No, ostriches.[img]http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/head-in-the-sand.jpg[/img]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Houston Canary"]Yes. Mr C., and that has been going on for years![/quote]

???

So, you''re an ostrich then?

[/quote]

I was responding to the demand that I find someone who says he is the best we had in years when all they ever claim is he is the best we have at the moment.  The moment has lasted 5 years, based on GoD''s defenders who worship him while pointing out his weaknesses.

[quote user="Helen"]I think he''s better now Holt''s captin.[/quote]

He wasn''t an ideal choice for captain but I think what''s more important is that we defend as a team now. Whereas in recent times it''s often been a case that Doherty and maybe one or two others (e.g. Lee Croft) were prepared to put in the hard work defensively.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Houston Canary"]Yes. Mr C., and that has been going on for years![/quote]???So, you''re an ostrich then?

[/quote]

I was responding to the demand that I find someone who says he is the best we had in years when all they ever claim is he is the best we have at the moment.  The moment has lasted 5 years, based on GoD''s defenders who worship him while pointing out his weaknesses.

[/quote]So find me someone who said he was our best central defender when we were in the Premiership....

Arguably Feming and Charlton were our best pair in the Premiership.[li]

I reckon they shipped least goals anyway.[:O]

Did Doc play much in our defence that season[:^)]

Totally agree Allez. Doc is easily the CB at our club. Every Doc hater out there is so blinkered. He makes one foul or misplaced pass and there is a witchhunt. Anyone else does it and nothing is mentioned.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]Is it just me or is it Groundhog Day....again?[/quote]

Is it just me, or is it Groundhog Day ......again? [:D]

[/quote]

Is there an echo in here?[:D]