Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Bristol Rovers

There was an unusual spring in Ricardo''s step as he strolled up to the game this afternoon. Was it the pre match Peroni doing its work I hear you ask? Well, no it was the fact that we had come off such a good win in midweek and there seems to be a new confidence running through the side and through the fans.

Being Norwich City fans, we all know how quickly things can crumble but today the high level of play was carried over from the Orient match and apart from a few nervous moments early on, the result was never in doubt. I thought Rovers started well but once the first goal went in they seldom looked capable of getting anything from the game. Chris Martins free kick was a peach. The Rovers defence seemed to be a bit lop sided from my viewpoint, high up in the River End and he was able to pick his spot with power and accuracy. Moments later he netted again from Holts knockdown, only for the ref to blow for handball. Difficult to see from where I sit but it''s always much easier to swallow when you are already one up.

Next came the two penalty incidents. I thought Askou was a trifle unfortunate because the ball had gone behind him and the forward but the ref saw the slight tug and that was that. Minutes later Wes was barged over in the box and the ref blew for pen number two. I''ve seen games where niether incident resulted in a penalty but I rather think first decision forced the ref''s hand with the second.

City were now in full cry and Holt quickly netted a brace. The first was drilled in when a cross found him with yards to spare but the second was all his own work.  He picked it up in the centre and powered past a couple of defenders before slamming a sweet left footer into the far corner. After that there was a spell of shooting practice before the half came to an end.

We were all expecting more of the same but when an early goal failed to materialise we seemed to drop the pace a bit and the passing was not as crisp and incisive as the first half. Spillanes injury meant that Smith had to go to right back and this lost us a little of the edge in midfield. However,plenty of chances came and went and Martin failed to connect enough with his head when it seemed easier to score while Holt, Smith, Lappin and Hughes all saw shots saved or drift agonisingly wide. Jamie lad came on for his curtain call and did not disappoint when he netted the fifth in injury time. Wes had twisted and turned so much in the box that the Rovers defender nearly finished up with his boots on the wrong feet.

Can we keep this up I hear you all ask. If we can hold onto Wes, Russell and Doc then I believe we have a really strong base the the diamond formation that is proving so successful. Wes was MOM for me but another top notch performance from the Doc and of course Grant Holt. Told ya he was a good ''un after the first game of the season!

For those of you still not happy.................................Ipswich got beat at the death! Oh happy day.

Thanks Ricardo, very well summed up! Agree about keeping the 3, although i do not think Russell and Doc are irreplacable, unlike Wes.

Cheers Ricardo,excellent read as per normal.What were the fans,home and away,like today??

Well said Ric. How lovely to log on to this messageboard on a Saturday evening and see such positivity for a change. 5 goals against an in form side who were 3rd in the table really is a terrific effort.

I look forward to reading Wiz''s comments too after his beloved Jamie Lad scored again. Wiz where are you?! [;)] Fair play to Jamie though, two goals in two games off the bench - you can''t really ask for more. Excellent to see our strikers in form.

"Wes had twisted and turned so much in the box that the Rovers defender nearly finished up with his boots on the wrong feet."I actually laughed out loud when I read that, you always do the best match reports Ricardo [Y]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"]"Wes had twisted and turned so much in the box that the Rovers defender nearly finished up with his boots on the wrong feet."I actually laughed out loud when I read that, you always do the best match reports Ricardo [Y][/quote]Yep, totally agree. I''ve moved abroad recently and I much prefer Ricardo''s reports to those on the main page. Keep up the good work!

I do enjoy these reports. I couldn''t get to the game today and you can only know a certain amount from listening to it on the radio.

Davo

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Thanks, good easy read.[/quote]

''Reports one can trust'' I think is the heart of the matter. Together with a 50 year perspective.

By the way Ricardo what do you think of young Korey Smith who seems to be getting a lot of good press? A ''real deal'' in the making so to speak; early days yet; or what?

OTBC

[quote user="hogesar"]Thanks Ricardo, very well summed up! Agree about keeping the 3, although i do not think Russell and Doc are irreplacable, unlike Wes.
[/quote]

I don''t think that the Doc has suddenly become Lambert''s first choice centre-half and has been played purely because of injuries and it was probably a choice out of him and Dumic.

I also believe that as soon as Lambert is able to bring in his own players that Hoolahan will once again find himself on the bench at best.  It is known that Lambert would like to bring in a couple of wingers as well as a striker and at least one defender.

As for RUSSELL, I think that you will find that he has been the real unsung hero so far in this recent run.  I have not been his biggest fan over the years, but we are UNBEATEN since Russell came in to the team and I would say that he was man of the match for us at Gillingham and was one of the better players at home to Leyton Orient on Tuesday night.

Much is made of Lambert''s refusal to have Hoolahan even on the bench, but I think that possibly his biggest and only mistake thus far was not having Russell on the bench at MK Dons to bring on for the injured Hughes.

[quote user="Smudger"]I also believe that as soon as Lambert is able to bring in his own players that Hoolahan will once again find himself on the bench at best.  

As for RUSSELL, I think that you will find that he has been the real unsung hero so far in this recent run.  I have not been his biggest fan over the years, but we are UNBEATEN since Russell came in to the team and I would say that he was man of the match for us at Gillingham and was one of the better players at home to Leyton Orient on Tuesday night.

[/quote]I''d say Hoolahan is pretty undroppable at the minute Smudge. Martin and Holt seem to be relishing playing around a player as creative as Wes. It''s OK to admit you''re wrong once in a while [;)].Agree with you about Russell. As I''ve said elsewhere, if Russell can accept that his role in the team is to turnover possession and then move it on to our more creative players (Martin, Hoolahan and Lappin in particular) then he could be a really important player for us. He seems to lose his temper when his ego gets the better of him and he gets caught out trying the fancy stuff. There''s nothing wrong with being a ''water carrier'', Didier Deschamps won twice the medals and many more caps than King Eric ever did [;)]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Thanks, good easy read.[/quote]

''Reports one can trust'' I think is the heart of the matter. Together with a 50 year perspective.

By the way Ricardo what do you think of young Korey Smith who seems to be getting a lot of good press? A ''real deal'' in the making so to speak; early days yet; or what?

OTBC

[/quote]

Very impressed with young Korey Smith, Bly.

When you first see a young player you get an immediate impression of whether they will make the grade or not. I had the same feeling about Smith as I did about Ruel Fox, Dale Gordon, Darren Eadie and even going back as far as Peter Mendham. Some of them just seem naturally to fit into place and I will go on record now and say that that young lad is destined for higher things than league 1. Hopefully it will be with Norwich City.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Thanks Ricardo, very well summed up! Agree about keeping the 3, although i do not think Russell and Doc are irreplacable, unlike Wes.
[/quote]

I don''t think that the Doc has suddenly become Lambert''s first choice centre-half and has been played purely because of injuries and it was probably a choice out of him and Dumic.

I also believe that as soon as Lambert is able to bring in his own players that Hoolahan will once again find himself on the bench at best.  It is known that Lambert would like to bring in a couple of wingers as well as a striker and at least one defender.

Much is made of Lambert''s refusal to have Hoolahan even on the bench, but I think that possibly his biggest and only mistake thus far was not having Russell on the bench at MK Dons to bring on for the injured Hughes.

[/quote]

You may be right in that assertion Smudger but whether its driven by injuries or not, I think Lambert has arrived at pretty well balanced side and I don''t think he is mug enough to shake things up too much when he has a good thing going.

I would agree with you on Russell. I didn''t think he was a good buy in the Championship but in this league his experience could prove crucial.

Regarding Hoolahan. I don''t think he will see much bench time if he keeps playing at the standard he has shown recently. I think the main problem we will have is holding on to him when the next transfer window opens.

It''s maybe a bit early to start saying such and such players are the reason we are performing so well - more so after often only a couple of games for them. And even more when some of the inclusions in the team appear more based on filling in for an injury that on previous merit.

However on the positive side I would say that the present performance has been as much about getting the right balance to the team as it has been about getting the players back to their best and re discovering their abilities and form.

Players such as Russel, Hoolahan and Docherty were as good as finished Citywise as far as most fans were concerned - myself included. I''m not sure if we would have got in better players for the money they would have fetched and the wage costs they would have freed up. Likewise with Lappin.

It''s also been pleasing to see how well players have easily switched round during games to cover for injuries. Something we are going to need as a league like this will take it out of players physically.

And as to Rudd my mind goes back to the days in the early 70''s when the team was pretty much the same eleven week in week out - except for one home game when Keelan was out and Roger Hansbury was brought in as cover. It was a major event and everything appeared to be geared round ''protecting'' him. Different days.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You may be right in that assertion Smudger but whether its driven by injuries or not, I think Lambert has arrived at pretty well balanced side and I don''t think he is mug enough to shake things up too much when he has a good thing going.

I would agree with you on Russell. I didn''t think he was a good buy in the Championship but in this league his experience could prove crucial.

Regarding Hoolahan. I don''t think he will see much bench time if he keeps playing at the standard he has shown recently. I think the main problem we will have is holding on to him when the next transfer window opens.

[/quote]

I fully expect Hoolahan to be shipped out in January Ricardo as Lambert goes back in for McNamee (whose contract expires at the end of this season according to Lambert), plus another winger and a striker.

Agree with you 100% on Russell though... [Y]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As you''re so fond of coming on here and blowing your own trumpet Smudger old boy let me just remind you that even a stopped clock is right twice a day[O][:O][;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Thanks Ricardo, very well summed up! Agree about keeping the 3, although i do not think Russell and Doc are irreplacable, unlike Wes.[/quote]

[/quote]

As you''re so fond of coming on here and blowing your own trumpet Smudger old boy let me just remind you that even a stopped clock is right twice a day[O][:O][;)]

[/quote]Lol... I just knew this was going to be aimed at me before I even opened the thread Nutty old boy!  [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol... I just knew this was going to be aimed at me before I even opened the thread Nutty old boy!  [;)]
[/quote]

That''s the way the cookie crumbles I''m afraid Smudge[:)]

Big ''ead you may be.....................

Cloughie you ain''t[;)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Thanks Ricardo, very well summed up! Agree about keeping the 3, although i do not think Russell and Doc are irreplacable, unlike Wes.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I fully expect Hoolahan to be shipped out in January Ricardo as Lambert goes back in for McNamee (whose contract expires at the end of this season according to Lambert), plus another winger and a striker.

[/quote][:D] Hahahaha

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Lol... I just knew this was going to be aimed at me before I even opened the thread Nutty old boy!  [;)][/quote]

That''s the way the cookie crumbles I''m afraid Smudge[:)]

Big ''ead you may be.....................

Cloughie you ain''t[;)]

[/quote]hahaha glad to see that one of the regulars has taken it as the jest it was intended to be... you have my sides splitting Nutty! [:D]

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][:D] Hahahaha[/quote]It still may happen as yet... Jan 2011???Still holding out for another winger and a first choice striker due to having a too tiny transfer budget as yet... but have no fear that Lambert will have more plans for better players than most of the ones we have in our current line up.I knew that he would go back in for McNamee when many of you doubted it... what makes you think that McNamee might not be a bigger part of our side than Hoolahan a year down the line?Maybe you could post a few of your views down so I can come back and remind you how wrong you were a year down the line?  It''s all so very easy with hindsight you know???Glad I made you chuckle though! [:P]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][:D] Hahahaha[/quote]It still may happen as yet... Jan 2011???Still holding out for another winger and a first choice striker due to having a too tiny transfer budget as yet... but have no fear that Lambert will have more plans for better players than most of the ones we have in our current line up.I knew that he would go back in for McNamee when many of you doubted it... what makes you think that McNamee might not be a bigger part of our side than Hoolahan a year down the line?Maybe you could post a few of your views down so I can come back and remind you how wrong you were a year down the line?  It''s all so very easy with hindsight you know???Glad I made you chuckle though! [:P][/quote]To your credit you were right that we went in for McNamee... but this is one of the reasons why Im reluctant to make predictions of the future, it can always pop its head up again in the future!

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][:D] Hahahaha[/quote]It still may happen as yet... Jan 2011???Still holding out for another winger and a first choice striker due to having a too tiny transfer budget as yet... but have no fear that Lambert will have more plans for better players than most of the ones we have in our current line up.I knew that he would go back in for McNamee when many of you doubted it... what makes you think that McNamee might not be a bigger part of our side than Hoolahan a year down the line?Maybe you could post a few of your views down so I can come back and remind you how wrong you were a year down the line?  It''s all so very easy with hindsight you know???Glad I made you chuckle though! [:P][/quote]To your credit you were right that we went in for McNamee... but this is one of the reasons why Im reluctant to make predictions of the future, it can always pop its head up again in the future![/quote]Ahh c''mon lets be avin ye!You seem like the sort of fellow who could take a bit of ribbing if your predictions went pear shaped???