Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Thoughts on the game

I thought our back two today were very good Askou in particular. Askou is very calm and composed on the ball and knows where to put it if in doubt.

Charlton had a grand total of zero chances second half mostly down to

those two. The two goals we conceded were sloppy but neither of their

faults really. I personally thought it was a great show against really

the two best strikers in this league. In that was it was promising and I feel with our midfield working as hard as they are, clean sheets will be a more regular occurrence this season.

For me Russell was a key part in the game. He and Smith bossed the midfield, we weren''t pushed around by Charlton and their cloggers and to be honest would you want a fouling match against Russell, I sure as hell wouldn''t.

If we had taken our chances then we would have breezed the

game. We created loads and loads in the first half and that''s certainly and area we have seen a vast improvement on. I''m not convinced on

Daley yet and I personally feel McVeigh gives you a lot more, but his

pace is good and he''s young.Hoolahan played very well today, finally in the role he should be playing in. He played the ball well and looked fit, which is testimony to a good professional. I just wished he would train a bit on kicking with his right peg (and Daley with his left foot) because at times that cost us in the box.Some finally points, Charlton are going to be there for promotion their centre backs are fearsome and upfront they are far too talented for this league. If they keep getting refs like this then they''re foul their way out of trouble in every game.The Ref was shocking again today. I understand it''s league 1 but I''m appaled that some of these guys are professionals. Hopefully the FA will be able to review (it''s a plain ridiculous system) the Bailey incident and give a fitting punishment, because whilst we let teams get away with malicious fouls and the cynical fouls that Charlton deemed to be part of football. I pay to watch football not rugby games.

[quote user="Fellas"]I thought our back two today were very good Askou in particular. Askou is very calm and composed on the ball and knows where to put it if in doubt.

Charlton had a grand total of zero chances second half mostly down to

those two. The two goals we conceded were sloppy but neither of their

faults really. I personally thought it was a great show against really

the two best strikers in this league. In that was it was promising and I feel with our midfield working as hard as they are, clean sheets will be a more regular occurrence this season.

For me Russell was a key part in the game. He and Smith bossed the midfield, we weren''t pushed around by Charlton and their cloggers and to be honest would you want a fouling match against Russell, I sure as hell wouldn''t.

If we had taken our chances then we would have breezed the

game. We created loads and loads in the first half and that''s certainly and area we have seen a vast improvement on. I''m not convinced on

Daley yet and I personally feel McVeigh gives you a lot more, but his

pace is good and he''s young.Hoolahan played very well today, finally in the role he should be playing in. He played the ball well and looked fit, which is testimony to a good professional. I just wished he would train a bit on kicking with his right peg (and Daley with his left foot) because at times that cost us in the box.Some finally points, Charlton are going to be there for promotion their centre backs are fearsome and upfront they are far too talented for this league. If they keep getting refs like this then they''re foul their way out of trouble in every game.The Ref was shocking again today. I understand it''s league 1 but I''m appaled that some of these guys are professionals. Hopefully the FA will be able to review (it''s a plain ridiculous system) the Bailey incident and give a fitting punishment, because whilst we let teams get away with malicious fouls and the cynical fouls that Charlton deemed to be part of football. I pay to watch football not rugby games.

[/quote]I thought Russell looked a different class, tough in the tackle, in control and with time to make the right pass, rarely wasting a ball. He looked the mature leader in control with Smith as the tyro doing the leg work, unlike last year where he was leaden, late in the tackle and angry most of the time.

Fellas

Personally I can''t think of one player who put in a bad performance. Highlights for me were Grant Holt who chased everything, Korey Smith, everything as you say and extra points as he was playing against a midfield of not only cloggers but professional cheats, he''s got a great future and we can only hope it''s with us. Wes had a great game also, some of the stuff he pulls off is way out of this league and sublime. IMO worth the admission money on his own. Great goal and tremendous application throughout. Ditto Lappin, who not only provided some decent corners and crosses but tracked back to help out Drury (is this man fit, he was struggling at times).

Askou is a great defender in this league, as you say both CHs had a great game.

Agreed, shame the officials made a pig''s ear of it. But surely that only made the comeback all the more sweet, to say nothing of the reaction from the Charlton fans in the final ten minutes or so.

Great atmosphere and a wonderful entertaining game. Best day for me at CR for a long time.