Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Some belated thoughts on saturday

First chance i''ve had to come on here since saturday and what I thought was a very enjoyable game.

All in all i thought that it was a bit of a mixed bag with some elemetns of our game still not where they need to be but overall more encouraging for the future than worrying. We deserved to win but ultimately from being 2-0 down have to be happy with the point. It also confirmed for me the view I have had for some time that on our day we are as good as any other team in this division. However because of the absolutely ridiculous, crazy decision to appoint Gunn in the summer before the board was sorted out we are playing catchup. We are 2 or 3 months behind both Charlton and Leeds who have settled sides and are performing consistently. We, on the other hand are still chopping and changing the team and trying to find the right combinations in key areas. I suspect it will be the second half of the season when we start to produce our best displays on a consistent basis. i fully expect us to be very strong after Christmas. Until then we must do all we can to keep in touch at the top so that any late surge is not in vain.

For me the biggest plusses yesterday were:

1. The midfield. By far the best midfield display of the season. Russell coming back in made a huge difference and when he''s properly fit we will be even stronger. For me, him and Corey Smith looked like a great combo. Smith was immense, snapping at their heels and turning in a really good shift. That was complimented well by Russell who in the second half, started to boss the game and looked like a championship player playing a league too low. He simply dropped off and was able to pick up the loose ball and keep things ticking over. All in all very encouraging. I guess the question is what do we do when Hughes is fit. My guess is that either hughes or Smith will play on the right. When we are away we could play all 3 in a 3 man midfield that looks like it will be very strong.

2. A goal for Grant Holt - he needed that! Barely got a kick for 60 minutes yesterday but just wore their defence down through his unbelievable work-rate and commitment til, at the end they basically couldn''t cope with him. Must be an absolute nightmare to defend against.

3. Hooly back. Contrary to some of the glowing reports on here i actually thought he had a mare for the firt 40 minutes. looked of the pace and lost the ball constantly. however took his goal excellently and then produced a great 45 mintes full of skill and commitment. Also staretd dropping off which meant he got on the ball a lot more. We cannot afford to be leaving a player of his talent out of the team/squad.

Negatives:

1. The defence. Semi had one of his days yesterday. Got done for the first goal and was off the pace all game. We simply cannot afford to keep giving this guy chance after chance only for him to cost us goals. Right back a priority in the loan market I would say! I also thought that Askou and Spillane looked very, very shaky for the first half. It was Askou''s worst game for us and i am baffled as to how both of them kept being outjumped by Dion Burton who is much shorter than both of them. I don''t think the CB pairing is sorted yet by a long shot.

2. We still need to find a partner for Holt.

3. Daley is too lightweight to start regularly at he moment. he needs to get down the gym and maybe a spell on loan somewhere may toughen him up a bit.

All in all though much better. It is now crucial we don''t lose at Gillingham on saturday as 2 home games in a week after that gives us a chance to pick up a decent haul of points.

I disagree about Spillane and Askou, and to be fair everyone looked shaky and had a mare in the first half.  They were also up against a tricky Charlton front line.  Daley is too lightweight,  however he offers pace, although I would still have MCVeigh because his link up play, crossing etc is better.Whatever you say about Otsemobor, he offers pace, same as Daley, so don''t expect them to be relieved of their  duties any time soon.

I think all 6 points there a pretty valid, The center of midfeild was much better, but McVeigh should be playin on the right, and Lappin didn''t have his best game ever.

I think when Nelson''s back, put Spillane at RB then we have a pretty solid team (we need either Martin/Hoolahan or Macdonald to really make sure they are first chioce to partner Holt, that is the biggest thing we have to get past atm....)

[quote user="ref89"]I disagree about Spillane and Askou, and to be fair everyone looked shaky and had a mare in the first half.  They were also up against a tricky Charlton front line.  Daley is too lightweight,  however he offers pace, although I would still have MCVeigh because his link up play, crossing etc is better.

Whatever you say about Otsemobor, he offers pace, same as Daley, so don''t expect them to be relieved of their  duties any time soon.
[/quote]

Fair enough its all about opinions but the problem I had was they were getting done in the air by much smaller players. I''m not writing either of them off but it was a worry. i also don''t rate Nelson hence the fact i think we have a fair bit of work still to do in this area.

I would like to see Korey out on the right whe Hughes is back. He has tenacity and guile, could be the person to help out Semmy defensively.

Incidently Russell sured up the midfield purely becuase of his height I thought. He was also playing quite defensive and often keep deep to take the ball off our defence.

When we got the ball on the deck more often, it should that we can play good football. In the first half there was too much hoof ball and having that midfielder to take the ball from the defence helped. Hoolahan was always looking to get into space and making himself available.

Forster''s kicking was woeful from his glvoes. Greeno always used to roll the ball out and then kick it, and was very succesful (dont mention that Forest game). Would like to see him kick form the floor.

[quote user="B-ru"]

I would like to see Korey out on the right whe Hughes is back. He has tenacity and guile, could be the person to help out Semmy defensively.

Incidently Russell sured up the midfield purely becuase of his height I thought. He was also playing quite defensive and often keep deep to take the ball off our defence.

When we got the ball on the deck more often, it should that we can play good football. In the first half there was too much hoof ball and having that midfielder to take the ball from the defence helped. Hoolahan was always looking to get into space and making himself available.

Forster''s kicking was woeful from his glvoes. Greeno always used to roll the ball out and then kick it, and was very succesful (dont mention that Forest game). Would like to see him kick form the floor.

[/quote]He''s 5''10"?? Only Wes is shorter!

OK, perhaps that isn''t correct then. Perhaps stronger physically and better in the air. Does that make more sense?