Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich City v Charlton - Player Ratings

Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable game and a cracking advert for League One, but I''d like to think that''s because Charlton came here to win, and nearly did, and that both sides are good enough to get out at the first attempt.  In our case, I think that is unlikely.  How I would love us to have a player with the directness and pace of Lloyd Sam, or the guile of Shelvey.  However, it was also the chance for our much maligned midfield maestro Wes Hoolahan to demonstrate one and for all that he''s a one-footed show pony who doesn''t put himself about, tackle, contest 50-50s, score, or provide that all important creative spark,  and who doesn''t care about playing for Norwich City.... if you have the point of view of a complete moron.Lambert was tactically shrewd in changing the failing 4-3-3/4-5-1 to a straight 4-4-2 and then back again when Martin was introduced and we had them under the cosh.So, while Ricardo drinks his Peroni and before his far more insightful report, my player ratings are:

Forster - 6 - awful distribution, he makes Andy Marshall look like Zinedine Zidane.  Kept well.Otsemobor - 6 - how many more chances does this man deserve?  Legs in fourth gear, brain in neutral.Drury - 6.5 - solid, got forward well, not to blame for either goalAskou - 6 - looked suspect against the high ball, distribution poorSpillane - 6 - one great block but again a tendency to panic hoof out of defence and questionable marking for their openerDaley - 6 - ran around a lot but didn''t actually do anything of note - went missing a couple of times and his fastest sprint was off the pitchSmith - 7.5 - he will become a favourite if he carries on like this - box to box and full of aggression and runningRussell - 6.5 - another chance to showcase his Premiership credentials.  I don''t think Lambert''s phone will be ringing non-stop but he put a shift in.Hoolahan - 8 - MoM - ran the show and never stopped working.  Deserved Anglian MoM.Holt - 7.5 - up there with Smith and Hoolahan, dubious 2nd goal but who cares?  Missed one sitter first half which was a real chance to get back in but tee''d Hoolahan up for the 1st instead.Lappin - 7 - good dead ball delivery, worked hard and fought to the end.

Would have to agree with pretty much all of that Mr Chops.We are clearly weekest on the right hand side, as we all know strikers make terrible right wingers. To give the lad some credit, he did well to make a chance for himself in the first half cutting accross the penalty area to the near post and getting something on the crsoss  (Sadly, he missed the target) Not much else i am afraid. The least developed of our accademy players right now.

John O  would be lucky to get a 4 from me today, he`s been encouraged to get forward more, but when he does he gives the ball away and against a side like Charlton who break quickly he got us in trouble time after time. Also no physicality in defence, and a definate case of colour blindness when in posession. poor old  John, he should  be given a long rest. 

Smith was outstanding, won a lot of ball and distributed it well, made that great oppertunity for Holt in the first half  which sadly he missed.

Forster - 4 - spent most of the afternoon throwing the ball out for throw ins, think Rudd should be given the chance to prove himself
Otsemobor - 2 - consistently trying to match his player rating with his shirt number, what was he doing to stop that second goal?
Askou - 6 - pretty solid, although looked prone to error on a couple of occasions
Spillane - 6.5 - marginally more solid than Askou
Drury - 7 - an average game, for the average man. Slightly higher for the quick throw that set up Hoolahan''s goal (i think this was Drury but i could be wrong)
Daley - 5 - very frustrating, he gets the ball in promising positions and before you''ve even stood out of your seat its either out for a throw or (at best) back with our defenders
Smith - 5 - not Korey''s game today, muscled out of it in the centre mid too many times
Russell - 6 - didn''t really look like he wanted to be playing or maybe just wasn''t quite match fit. But didnt really put a foot wrong either
Lappin - 6.5 - solid delivery although saying that we had so many corners and not one chance came from them
Hoolahan - 8 - pacey, inventive at times, frustrating at times, quick to react, scoring a goal. the return of the love him/hate him Hoolahan from last season
Holt - 7 - can''t really play as a lone striker and looked best when he had Hoolahan overlapping in support. Can''t fault him really though and did steal the point!

[quote user="cityislife"]No im affriad hoolahan didnt do enough in the first half for me, Korey Smith was MOTM by a country mile today.
[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Forster - 4 - spent most of the afternoon throwing the ball out for throw ins, think Rudd should be given the chance to prove himself
Otsemobor - 2 - consistently trying to match his player rating with his shirt number, what was he doing to stop that second goal?
Askou - 6 - pretty solid, although looked prone to error on a couple of occasions
Drury - 7 - an average game, for the average man. Slightly higher for the quick throw that set up Hoolahan''s goal (i think this was Drury but i could be wrong)
Daley - 5 - very frustrating, he gets the ball in promising positions and before you''ve even stood out of your seat its either out for a throw or (at best) back with our defenders
Smith - 5 - not Korey''s game today, muscled out of it in the centre mid too many times
Russell - 6 - didn''t really look like he wanted to be playing or maybe just wasn''t quite match fit. But didnt really put a foot wrong either
Lappin - 6.5 - solid delivery although saying that we had so many corners and not one chance came from them
Hoolahan - 8 - pacey, inventive at times, frustrating at times, quick to react, scoring a goal. the return of the love him/hate him Hoolahan from last season
Holt - 7 - can''t really play as a lone striker and looked best when he had Hoolahan overlapping in support. Can''t fault him really though and did steal the point!
[/quote]

This is just wrong...where you at the game today? i think i must have been at another Carrow road, but could still here all the moaning from the real one....football ''fans'' can just be soooo annoying/stupid, there are 2 people near me, both fairly elderly, who don''t even watch, one of them thought Russel was Holt.... how do you get that wrong?

Have to agree with cityislife here, hoolahan just didnt do enough in the first half to warrant MOM, the goal obviously did him the power of good and he looked more threatening after he scored. He is still though for me the most irritating player we have as he clearly has all the skill in the world but he still hasnt learnt properly when to pass the ball and a few occassions today he gave the ball away sloppily, and by doing so created problems defensively, by holding on and doing too much compared to when he plays the ball on quickly he creates chances as shown again today, just hope Lambert can get this through as today was the best i have seen him for some time . MOM for me has to be Smith, thought he was awesome today

[quote user="cityislife"]No im affriad hoolahan didnt do enough in the first half for me, Korey Smith was MOTM by a country mile today.[/quote]

Smith was definatly MoM. The way he played in the second half was amazing

Forster - still not sure about him, pretty good at taking the ball in the air but slow to think when he''s got it and poor kicking

Semmy -usual mixed bag from him, thought he did some things really well but always like to switch off and give the ball away.

Spillane - still not good enough, too weak, beaten too easily when it counts, they made a mug of him a couple of times. One great block though.

Askou - doesn''t always win it in the air but he doesn''t hesitate to go straight back in and try again

Drury - steady but clearly not as sharp as he used to be.

Daley - not a lot...didn''t do much. Doesn''t have the strength or the guile.

Smith - love the way the lad keeps going, doesn''t matter who they are he has a go.

Russell - thought he did pretty well, despite his lack of football. His experience and strength were important.

Lappin - not playing as well as when he got back in the team. Some poor deliveries and not always doing the simple things well like he was doing.

Hoolahan - we all know he holds on to the ball too long sometimes but he''s also the brightest spark we''ve got with the ball. Good to see him back.

Holt - the kind of performance you''d expect from him, just kept going and got what he/we deserved at the end.

Martin - not a lot, struggled to make an impact.

Cody - not much time to do anything although his pace did force them to defend things they might not have had to otherwise

McVeigh - no time

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Forster - 4 - spent most of the afternoon throwing the ball out for throw ins, think Rudd should be given the chance to prove himself
[/quote]

This is just wrong...where you at the game today? i think i must have been at another Carrow road, but could still here all the moaning from the real one....football ''fans'' can just be soooo annoying/stupid, there are 2 people near me, both fairly elderly, who don''t even watch, one of them thought Russel was Holt.... how do you get that wrong?

[/quote]

I''m baffled by this too GPele but football''s all about opinions and we see different things in different players. This annoying grandad fan[:)] made Smith MOTM and thinks when he''s fit the Smith/Hughes central midfield partnership could be the best we''ve had since Safri/Etuhu. What I have seen today makes me more confident than I have been so far this season. We could/should have won the game even without Hughes. The defence was still shakey, no better for the lack of The Doc, and gave away two goals. The difference though is the midfield and especially the centre of midfield where we have been lacking for so long.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable game and a cracking advert for League One, but I''d like to think that''s because Charlton came here to win, and nearly did, and that both sides are good enough to get out at the first attempt.  In our case, I think that is unlikely.  How I would love us to have a player with the directness and pace of Lloyd Sam, or the guile of Shelvey. 

However, it was also the chance for our much maligned midfield maestro Wes Hoolahan to demonstrate one and for all that he''s a one-footed show pony who doesn''t put himself about, tackle, contest 50-50s, score, or provide that all important creative spark,  and who doesn''t care about playing for Norwich City.... if you have the point of view of a complete moron.

Lambert was tactically shrewd in changing the failing 4-3-3/4-5-1 to a straight 4-4-2 and then back again when Martin was introduced and we had them under the cosh.

So, while Ricardo drinks his Peroni and before his far more insightful report, my player ratings are:

Forster - 6 - awful distribution, he makes Andy Marshall look like Zinedine Zidane.  Kept well.

Otsemobor - 6 - how many more chances does this man deserve?  Legs in fourth gear, brain in neutral.

Drury - 6.5 - solid, got forward well, not to blame for either goal

Askou - 6 - looked suspect against the high ball, distribution poor

Spillane - 6 - one great block but again a tendency to panic hoof out of defence and questionable marking for their opener

Daley - 6 - ran around a lot but didn''t actually do anything of note - went missing a couple of times and his fastest sprint was off the pitch

Smith - 7.5 - he will become a favourite if he carries on like this - box to box and full of aggression and running

Russell - 6.5 - another chance to showcase his Premiership credentials.  I don''t think Lambert''s phone will be ringing non-stop but he put a shift in.

Hoolahan - 8 - MoM - ran the show and never stopped working.  Deserved Anglian MoM.

Holt - 7.5 - up there with Smith and Hoolahan, dubious 2nd goal but who cares?  Missed one sitter first half which was a real chance to get back in but tee''d Hoolahan up for the 1st instead.

Lappin - 7 - good dead ball delivery, worked hard and fought to the end.

[/quote]

I am in full agreement Chops, but I hope its not just the 2 Peroni''s before and the one after that left me thinking what a good performance we witnessed today.

If we can play like that on a more regular basis we will certainly be cheering more wins than defeats this season. What impressed me most was that it was a wholehearted team performance and even going 2 behind didn''t prevent us from playing on the front foot.

More of the same please, Mr Lambert.

[/quote]

you what???

obviously at the west ham game!

A deserved draw for city.  Charlton are league leaders but this was a poor quality  football match only enlived by some amazing drama which made it a fantastic match  to experience.  City were NOT great,  but deserved to win the game.  Charlton scored with their first effort on goal and our shaky defence continued to look like it might conceed every time charlton attacked,  which fortunately was not often. 

City started really well and looked dangerous when we got the ball to hoolahan.  Then fro a corner Burton gets yards on Ots who fell asleep at the corner allowing an unchallenged (yes ots had got level with Burton but by that time Burton was already diving and had picked his spot).  We increased the route 1 game which meant that hoolahan saw less of the ball,  we became less impressive and less likely to score. Sam then puts a soft cross to the far pos where dilly day dream again watches as he is second to ball that he was nearest to and allow shelvey too easy a header as we go two behind.  Quick thinking by Holt gives us a life line and the blood is coursing  when the ref fails to give a red after (rightly) booking Askou but produce no card, let alone the warranted red - for teh kick I will never know.  Ots (direct from someone in the tunnel who told me during half time that there had been a mass brawl) finally shows some committment as the teams trudge off,  pure supposition but I think shelvey and Burton were praising him for his contribution to their lead.

Foster  6  Poor distribution,  seemed too static for the second but no real chance with the goals

Ots   4  Again cost us points - and nearly made is a hattrick of assists with the lay off to McLeod late in the second half,  in fact ALL the charlton attacking threat came through Jon. 

Drury  7 Good game,  firm in the tackle and got forward well,  better quality on the crossing wouol have been nice but caused tehir right flank some problems.

Askou 5 I though Hooooze was good at putting the ball straight out,  but Askou is coming close,  but mainly with his head. Too many times seemed to go for the same ball as a team mate and the jump to header a ball that he missed and then landed sitting on the ball summed him up perfectly.   Was his bandage a result of improved eye surgery that he now has the patented Action Man eagle eyes lever at the back of his head to help his vision?

Spillane 5 Quiet game,  Like Askou too often out of position,  but did a couple of times look to play the ball with his feet.  Should start the next game at right back.

Daley  5    Non existant.  Has pace to spare but reminds me of OJ Koroma last season,  looks like a striker being ask to play right wing having never been there before.  Bring back WLY.

Russell  6  You know what you get with Russell. Moves as if he is superior to everyone on pitch but rarely wins a tackle,  breaks into a run or creates a chance.  Surprised he stayed on and Smith off.  Needed to burst forward to offer support to the striker but simply never did.

Smith 8 Easily MOTM for me.  Broke the game up in midfield,  simple effective passing and got forward well and was unlucky not to leave the match with a goal.  Superb.

Lappin 6  An off day,  limited impact,  poor crossing an too much wasted possession

Holt 6 Worked his blooming socks off,  but was lucky to score off his back when 8/10 time a foul on the keeper would have been given (yes keepers are over protected but had mcleod scored like that we would have been demanding a free kick)  He has the same positional awareness as Otsemebor,  putting himself in the worst position for a big striker,  in teh first half was outside Hoolahan who was on the right flank between the penalty area and the touchline,  who was hoolahan to cross too?  That pattern was repeated time after time.  Not once did he look to get to the far post to attack a crossed ball,  instead moving early to the front post where the chances of scoring are slim,  easier to defend and harder to get the corss right for our midfield.  Seems to be lacking scoring confidence.  poor effort in the first half when put through by hoolahan (v jamie-esque) and the chose  to ignore the chance on a plate from hoolahans cross by laying it back to smith to shoot rather than the easier option of heading for goal himself when he had a free header facing the goal.  Needs to focus on going through the middle rather than constantly moving wide, and be a bit more selfish.

Hoolahan 7 When we did get the ball to him we were at our best.  Does still wait too long,  but on several occassions had no one to pass to with Holt beingout of position and the midfield not filling the central gap.

Shows we can pick up points in this league without playing well or good football and can make the play offs with consistency.

west ham canary were you at the game? smith was awesome!!! stick to watching that lot from London if thats what you think of our best player on saturday!!!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Holt 6 Worked his blooming socks off,  but was lucky to score off his back when 8/10 time a foul on the keeper would have been given (yes keepers are over protected but had mcleod scored like that we would have been demanding a free kick)  He has the same positional awareness as Otsemebor,  putting himself in the worst position for a big striker,  in teh first half was outside Hoolahan who was on the right flank between the penalty area and the touchline,  who was hoolahan to cross too?  That pattern was repeated time after time.  Not once did he look to get to the far post to attack a crossed ball,  instead moving early to the front post where the chances of scoring are slim,  easier to defend and harder to get the corss right for our midfield.  Seems to be lacking scoring confidence.  poor effort in the first half when put through by hoolahan (v jamie-esque) and the chose  to ignore the chance on a plate from hoolahans cross by laying it back to smith to shoot rather than the easier option of heading for goal himself when he had a free header facing the goal.  Needs to focus on going through the middle rather than constantly moving wide, and be a bit more selfish.

[/quote]ZLF, for someone who does so much wrong, Holt''s been lucky to get six goals already, don''t you think?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

ZLF, for someone who does so much wrong, Holt''s been lucky to get six goals already, don''t you think?
[/quote]

Not lucky at all - has deserved his 6 goals and his one against Wycombe was v cooly finished. Was commenting on this game (which has happened in other games too) where too frequently his best work was away from the goal and meant he (or a midfielder) was not in a position to score,  and on the 2 good chances he had he did not take them.   He works hard and links up play very well and at this level is exceptional with the ball at his feet.  He has deserved everyone of his 6 goals.

As I said on another post I dread Holt picking up an injury as our attacking force would probably disappear without him,  however if he was to put himself in the right position more often we would have a presence in the penalty box and who is to say that he would not have a dozen goals by now instead of just 6??   I like Holt,  a lot,  but that does not mean he cant be a better goal scorer, which includes getting himself into better positions.

Part of the problem is that there remains a gap between him and midfield,  if we can bridge that quicker,  then hopefully Holt and remain more central and score,  or move wide allowing the midfield to have the goal scoring chances - but we need a player in the box to take advantage of crossing opportunities.  The way holt positions himself too often prevents that     

I think Holt is a much cleverer footballer than I at first gave him credit for. He was responsible for the first goal too, quick thinking between him and Wes. I would play them both in any system. If we play 442 I''d have no worries about Hoolahan being the second striker, in fact i think they would develop an understanding and be prolific in this league.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think Holt is a much cleverer footballer than I at first gave him credit for. He was responsible for the first goal too, quick thinking between him and Wes. I would play them both in any system. If we play 442 I''d have no worries about Hoolahan being the second striker, in fact i think they would develop an understanding and be prolific in this league.

[/quote]

Completely agree with this Nutty! Looked like a very promising combo to me!!

Agreed. Once Hoolahan strated dropping off and providing that link between the midfield and attack we looked really dangerous. Holt and Hooly a good combo and the midfield combos starting to work. Right wing, right back and centre back are our main issues.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Completely agree with this Nutty! Looked like a very promising combo to me!!

[/quote]Seconded!