Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Our strongest team for gillingham

Strongest team & Otsemebor anyone????

433?  Def a 442 with Hoolahan off Holt,  maybe 4411,  but def daley and lappin wide in a 4 man midfield. 

Have assumed all players are fit

Forster

Spillane  Askou  Doc  Drury

WLY  Smith  Hughes  Lappin

Hoolahan Holt

Subs

Rudd  Stephens Russell Adeyemi Martin McDonald Cureton

Clearly Nelson will play as will Ots,  but I think the above is the strongest team fromour squad. 

I think that these posts show we need to get in a decent centre back and right midfielder before we can even think about challenging for a play off place.

IMO Spillane is not a centre back, he may do a job in holding midfield. Whalley, ''''Chubs'''' McVeigh and Daley are also not up to the job.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

433?  Def a 442 with Hoolahan off Holt,  maybe 4411,  but def daley and lappin wide in a 4 man midfield. 

Forster

Hoolahan Holt

Subs

Clearly Nelson will play as will Ots,  but I think the above is the strongest team fromour squad. 

[/quote]

Sounds good to me [Y]

Just 7 posts to go after this one for me to reach 1000 [<:o)] [:P]

[quote user="missing in action"]                         forsterspillane      nelson         askou        drury/wiggins?

smith         russell/hughes   mcveigh              mcdonald                 lappin                               holt

subs: semi, martin, theo, maric, daley, doc, (drury or rusty)      [/quote]Are you really that thick not to even include Hoolahan even on the subs bench? Or was it hard to tell how well he played through the radio?

[quote user="Big Bob"][quote user="missing in action"]                         forsterspillane      nelson         askou        drury/wiggins?

smith         russell/hughes   mcveigh              mcdonald                 lappin                               holt

subs: semi, martin, theo, maric, daley, doc, (drury or rusty)      [/quote]Are you really that thick not to even include Hoolahan even on the subs bench? Or was it hard to tell how well he played through the radio?[/quote]i feel he is a luxury that over all isnt necessary in a balanced side. overall he is costly in terms of losing possession and holding the ball too long.id rather we had cody for the knock downs of big holt and we had 2 players who can cross.and i hold a season ticket and have done for 13 years thank you.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Forster

Hoolahan Holt

Subs

[/quote] WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bl***y Doherty!!!!!! 

Theoklitis

Spillane    Askou   Docherty Drury

Russell   Hughes   Tudor Jones Hoolahan

McDonald         Holt

[quote user="Nishclishbang"]

Theoklitis

Spillane    Askou   Docherty Drury

Russell   Hughes   Tudor Jones Hoolahan

McDonald         Holt

[/quote]unfortunately injured.and theo? for the cup game im guessing.

ForsterOtsemobor              Askou                   Spillane                DruryDaley                     Russell                    Smith                   Lappin                                           Hoolahan                                              Holt

Why change a team that performed well?

I think these team selections highlight how desperately we need a decent winger or preferrably two, plus another centre back. We have absoultuely no pace from WLY or Lappin and Daley is at the best somewhat unpolished shall we say, he''s got potential but needs to work on his strength and his final ball; at the moment I wouldn''t even have him on the bench. If we are going to persist with the 4411 formation (and I hope we do, particualrly when Hughes returns), we desperately need at least one winger to get up on the flanks and support Holt or whip crosses in to him, can''t see any of the guys I''ve mentioned doing that, regardless of the quality of their passing (which has generally been excellent).

Dare I suggest that in the absence of Nelson that *whispers* Doherty should play? I know that since his exclsion from the team he has become an even bigger target for ridicule and spleen but he''s an experienced player who, even if he looks like he''s on the way out has been at the club long enough to put in a decent shift when required. If consensus is that Spillane is not the answer then he''s just about our only other option.

On the Semmi issue although he appears to have had a poor game on Saturday, I have generally been pleasantly surprised by his performances since Lambert took over, he was certainly at fault for the second goal and possibly the first too but generally his defenisve work has impoved greatly, I have no problem with him starting against Gillingham (Ok if we had a better player then yes I would prefer them to start, but I don''t think that Spillane has the pace to play at right back and once you''ve got past those two we don''t have anyone except maybe Korey who can fill the role effectively).

If we play like we did in the second half of the Charlton game or the first 20 of the Mc Dons game then hopefully we shouldn''t have too many problems. Gillingham away is exactly the kind of game we must be winning if we want to have any chance of going up this season, a decent performance is a must.

Forster

Otsemobor              Askou                Doherty/Nelson           Drury

Smith                     Russell            Hughes/Adeyemi              Lappin

Hoolahan

Holt

Subs: Rudd, Spillane, McDonald, Martin, Wiggins, McVeigh, Maric

(For all his problems, I still rate Doc over Nelson and Spillane at CB)

I agree, Doherty had a poor game against Colchester, when he was given no shield in the middle of midfield, but until Lambert turned, Doherty wasn''t even aware he had any problems. He was up there with our best players last year, yet 85% of saturday''s Pink Un poll said we are better off without him - its crazy.  Experience is what gets you out of League One, and Doc has got 300 high level appearances and 30 International caps under his belt.  One poor game doesn''t make you fit for the scrapheap (just as the odd good run doesn''t make you a world beater.....Smith, Adeyemi, Daley......)