Sign in to follow this  
super dave

A view from the directors box

I had the fortune to be invited on a works do yesterday which was part of a sponsorship package. We had a tour of the stadium, free drinks all day, a meal in Delia''s and got to watch the match from the directors box.I was a little bit apprehensive to start with as I thought it''d be rubbish compared to sitting in my usual seat in the Barclay, but it was a really good day out.I was sitting 2 rows behind Delia and Michael Wynn-Jones and the one thing I''ll say about them is that they are both true, passionate Norwich fans. They were both clapping and singing and getting involved in the action. Wynn-Jones went crazy at the ref when he did nothng after Bailey kicked out at Holt. The view we had from the box was amazing and you could clearly see he meant to do it and it should definately have been a straight red.A few other things I noticed from our view was that Lambert and his assistant are both really motivated and determined and we are definatelt lucky to have them in my opinion. Lambert was kicking every ball and him and his assistant were constantly giving out orders and instructions during the game. It''s obvious that Lambert has set the team some really high standards. I did see him get warned by the 4th official after about 20mins or so for throwing his water bottle to the ground in disgust, but I wasn''t sure was had annoyed him.Forster''s kicking and general distribution was very poor today and for me he looked short of confidence and his defence didn''t seem to have much confidence in him either. Drury was as steady as ever and Askou didn''t really do much wrong either. I don''t think Spillane is the answer to partner Askou. He''s better than Nelson but I feel we could do with getting a player in on loan as his pace isn''t great and his height really lets him down in that position. I''d like to see him given a decent run at right back.Otsemobor was up to his usual tricks again. Both goals came from players he should have been marking and had lost. He seems so disintertested at times and on many occasions Lambert was screaming instructions across to him. He surely must be drinking in the last chance saloon.The central midfield was very good today and totally outplayed Charlton at times, although to be fair it seemed like Charlton were happy for us to have the ball all day long and to try and break them down as they knew we didn''t have much creativity and they could hit us on the break. Both wide players were poor for me today. Lappin must have played his worst game of the season. I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away and for Daley I just can''t see the point of playing him at the moment. He was totally anonymous for most of the game. I''m sure he''ll turn out to be a decent player but I don''t think he''s ready for 1st team footy yet. I''d have him on the bench to bring on when the opposition defence is tired.Hoolahan had a good game and it was a close call between him and Holt for the mom award. He played well considering he''s been out of the 1st team picture for a while. As always he looked our most creative player.Holt''s work ethic and commitment was great again and I''m sure he''ll end up with 20 goals for us this season. The problem is that he needs some help. He can''t be expected to try and do everything every game. He needs someone to run off him and I feel that he needs to have the ball played into his feet more often. He''s ok in the air and is always going to be a threat from set pieces, etc... but I don''t feel that constantly pumping high balls up to him for 90 mins is the way to play him. His jumping isn''t great and most defenders will be able to deal with him in the air.The main thing I could notice from being in the box was how much we look like a team of midgets and how much we are lacking in pace. I''d love to see us start getting it on the ground more often, but I don''t know if we''ve got the players capable of doing it. I''m not sure we''ll keep with yesterday''s formation as it''s clear Holt needs someone alongside him. I''d still like to see Wes in the team but I''m not sure where to fit him in. Possibly left wing looks the best bet.Overall it was a good team performance and the future definately looks better under Lambert than it ever did under Gunn

Good write up, agree with most of your views on the game except I didn''t think Askou looked particularly comfortable at times.Unfortunately you said something positive about MWJ & Delia Smith, so prepare to be eviscerated.

How tall do you want a centre half to be out of interest? Considering you say Spillane (6"2'') is let down by his height.

Although I agree that I would rather he played at full back - just to get Otsemobor out of the side!

I should add that Delia had to ask Michael who Drury was when he was down injured in the 1st half and Delia''s mum didn''t shut up talking all game.Hopefullt that will stop me getting eviscerated.

I agree that Spillane isn''t exactly short, it''s just that he seemed quite rubbish in the air yesterday. That''s why I''d like to see him given a run at right back. If you''re no good at jumping then someone who''s 6ft or less can be better in the air than someone who''s 6ft 4+

[quote user="super dave"]I should add that Delia had to ask Michael who Drury was when he was down injured in the 1st half[/quote]

Please tell me you are kidding?[:S]

No I''m afraid not. Her comment was, who is he Michael? I don''t know who he is? I can''t see himI guess sometimes it''s tough to be able to spot one of your longest serving players

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="super dave"]I should add that Delia had to ask Michael who Drury was when he was down injured in the 1st half[/quote]

[/quote]It''s clearly not the case that she doesn''t know who he is! Simply that she couldn''t identify him in a heap on the floor. I''m forever asking who''s down when stuff like that happens - counting the remaining heads to see who''s missing.

[quote user="super dave"]I had the fortune to be invited on a works do yesterday which was part of a sponsorship package. We had a tour of the stadium, free drinks all day, a meal in Delia''s and got to watch the match from the directors box.I was a little bit apprehensive to start with as I thought it''d be rubbish compared to sitting in my usual seat in the Barclay, but it was a really good day out.I was sitting 2 rows behind Delia and Michael Wynn-Jones and the one thing I''ll say about them is that they are both true, passionate Norwich fans. They were both clapping and singing and getting involved in the action. Wynn-Jones went crazy at the ref when he did nothng after Bailey kicked out at Holt. The view we had from the box was amazing and you could clearly see he meant to do it and it should definately have been a straight red.A few other things I noticed from our view was that Lambert and his assistant are both really motivated and determined and we are definatelt lucky to have them in my opinion. Lambert was kicking every ball and him and his assistant were constantly giving out orders and instructions during the game. It''s obvious that Lambert has set the team some really high standards. I did see him get warned by the 4th official after about 20mins or so for throwing his water bottle to the ground in disgust, but I wasn''t sure was had annoyed him.Forster''s kicking and general distribution was very poor today and for me he looked short of confidence and his defence didn''t seem to have much confidence in him either. Drury was as steady as ever and Askou didn''t really do much wrong either. I don''t think Spillane is the answer to partner Askou. He''s better than Nelson but I feel we could do with getting a player in on loan as his pace isn''t great and his height really lets him down in that position. I''d like to see him given a decent run at right back.Otsemobor was up to his usual tricks again. Both goals came from players he should have been marking and had lost. He seems so disintertested at times and on many occasions Lambert was screaming instructions across to him. He surely must be drinking in the last chance saloon.The central midfield was very good today and totally outplayed Charlton at times, although to be fair it seemed like Charlton were happy for us to have the ball all day long and to try and break them down as they knew we didn''t have much creativity and they could hit us on the break. Both wide players were poor for me today. Lappin must have played his worst game of the season. I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away and for Daley I just can''t see the point of playing him at the moment. He was totally anonymous for most of the game. I''m sure he''ll turn out to be a decent player but I don''t think he''s ready for 1st team footy yet. I''d have him on the bench to bring on when the opposition defence is tired.Hoolahan had a good game and it was a close call between him and Holt for the mom award. He played well considering he''s been out of the 1st team picture for a while. As always he looked our most creative player.Holt''s work ethic and commitment was great again and I''m sure he''ll end up with 20 goals for us this season. The problem is that he needs some help. He can''t be expected to try and do everything every game. He needs someone to run off him and I feel that he needs to have the ball played into his feet more often. He''s ok in the air and is always going to be a threat from set pieces, etc... but I don''t feel that constantly pumping high balls up to him for 90 mins is the way to play him. His jumping isn''t great and most defenders will be able to deal with him in the air.The main thing I could notice from being in the box was how much we look like a team of midgets and how much we are lacking in pace. I''d love to see us start getting it on the ground more often, but I don''t know if we''ve got the players capable of doing it. I''m not sure we''ll keep with yesterday''s formation as it''s clear Holt needs someone alongside him. I''d still like to see Wes in the team but I''m not sure where to fit him in. Possibly left wing looks the best bet.Overall it was a good team performance and the future definately looks better under Lambert than it ever did under Gunn[/quote]i did laugh seeing the directors box erupt when the ref ignored the kicking!

It could well have been me that you saw!!I was trying to be reserved and well behaved in the box, but it''s never that easy when you''re passionate about the team.Also when you''re used to sitting in the Barclay snd singing all the songs then it''s even more annoying to try and behave yourself.I like to think that yesterday I managed to bring a usually dull box to life, at least for a little bit

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

It''s clearly not the case that she doesn''t know who he is! Simply that she couldn''t identify him in a heap on the floor. I''m forever asking who''s down when stuff like that happens - counting the remaining heads to see who''s missing.
[/quote]

Completely agree - it''s normally a process of elimination!

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

It''s clearly not the case that she doesn''t know who he is! Simply that she couldn''t identify him in a heap on the floor. I''m forever asking who''s down when stuff like that happens - counting the remaining heads to see who''s missing.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree too although a general rule of thumb would be to assume it''s Drury so look for him first. If he''s still standing you can then go through the process of elimination[;)]

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Drury is normally eliminated, after his first tackle....

[quote user="super dave"]No I''m afraid not. Her comment was, who is he Michael? I don''t know who he is? I can''t see him

I guess sometimes it''s tough to be able to spot one of your longest serving players
[/quote]

Oh dear, she might say she''s a NC fan, but she can''t even identify one of her own employees, lol sorry but that''s pathetic.

Other than that a good post. [Y]

On the up side, at least MWJ knew who it was...

From what I''ve seen of Smith and Jones during the matches, the one thing you couldn''t accuse them of is not caring or being part of The Suits who think of the club as a business rather than a football club.

[quote user="canaryjock"]

On the up side, at least MWJ knew who it was...

From what I''ve seen of Smith and Jones during the matches, the one thing you couldn''t accuse them of is not caring or being part of The Suits who think of the club as a business rather than a football club.

[/quote]

The only thing that Delia Smith cares about is herself, if she cared that much about the club she''d have sold up 2 or 3 years ago when she may have found it easier to find a buyer and it was becoming obvious that she could no longer afford to run it. She may well wave her scarf and jump about like a demented teenager at games but that still doesn''t alter the fact that her and her husband have overseen a period of totally unacceptable decline at this club.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="super dave"]No I''m afraid not. Her comment was, who is he Michael? I don''t know who he is? I can''t see him

I guess sometimes it''s tough to be able to spot one of your longest serving players
[/quote]

Oh dear, she might say she''s a NC fan, but she can''t even identify one of her own employees, lol sorry but that''s pathetic.

[/quote]

How many times do you sit there and see a player on the floor and wonder who it was, especially from a distance? I know I do. It''s laughable that people will have ago at her for something like that, sorry but I think it''s pathetic, really do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jumping to conclusions, letting emotions cloud your thinking, not taking on board sensible comments regarding why she might not be able to recognise him, lol sorry but that''s pathetic.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jumping to conclusions, letting emotions cloud your thinking, not taking on board sensible comments regarding why she might not be able to recognise him, lol sorry but that''s pathetic.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How many times do you sit there and see a player on the floor and wonder who it was, especially from a distance? I know I do. It''s laughable that people will have ago at her for something like that, sorry but I think it''s pathetic, really do.

[/quote]

Actually now I have my new glasses it never happens, he is one of our longer serving players and I find it amusing that she can''t recognise one of her own.

All about opinions, those are mine, don''t like it, well i''m sorry it''s just tough [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually now I have my new glasses it never happens, he is one of our longer serving players and I find it amusing that she can''t recognise one of her own.

All about opinions, those are mine, don''t like it, well i''m sorry it''s just tough [:)]

[/quote]

You stick to your guns 49.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="super dave"]No I''m afraid not. Her comment was, who is he Michael? I don''t know who he is? I can''t see himI guess sometimes it''s tough to be able to spot one of your longest serving players[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, a 60 year old woman can''t recognise a player who''s flat out on his back on the other side of the pitch to the Director''s Box.  She must be Satan Incarnate!I don''t mind people who want to moan about the lack of investment, about "Let''s be avin you! (hic)", about the fact we''ve underachieved for years with her & MWJ as majority shareholders, and if not being rich enough to bankroll a football club is a crime then she''s guilty.  But honestly, some of the things people will criticise her for are just laughable.  She didn''t know Drury was down injured.  Well, newsflash, neither did I.  Perhaps you could burn us at the same stake.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Glad I''m not the only one who asks ''Who''s injured?'' then though we should realise that, since his return from that long term leg injury, it''s usually Drury.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You stick to your guns 49.

[/quote]

Even if the comment made is profoundly pedantic nit-picking [:)] I very regularly have to ask which of our players is down in a heap when all you can see is yellow and green kit from ninety yards away. Good grief, I''m not her biggest fan but it''d help to keep criticisms within the bounds of reality - ha ha [:D] 

[/quote]

Jeez! She probably just couldn''t see who was down, not "who" as in I don''t know him.  She''s probably had him round for dinner ffs!

[quote user="super dave"]
Otsemobor was up to his usual tricks again. Both goals came from players he should have been marking and had lost. He seems so disintertested at times and on many occasions Lambert was screaming instructions across to him. He surely must be drinking in the last chance saloon.

[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the second Charlton goal came from a cross from Drury''s side of our defence. So how can you blame Otsemobor?