Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Grant Holt Overrated!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

NOt sure he is that over rated ,  but you can see why he has not progressed beyond league one.  He is not quick,  not that strong for someone of his stature but does have quick feet and a good footballing brain to enable some decent passes.  however his positional sense is poor.

Iwan lacked strength but had the strikers knack of being at the far post moving across goal when crosses came in,  too often Holt is on the flank with the ball and so carries no goal scoring threat,  we need his presence in the box to score. If he is to drag their players out of position the that gap HAS to be filled by a midfielder - and that does not happen.

Do we need him?  Well ask yourself what our attacking line up would look like if we did NOT have holt. I agree he is very frustrating, but the thought of  him picking up an injury at the moment is a true nightmare scenario. 

[/quote]I disagree. The modern game has moved on from expecting your target man to be one dimentional and simply walk/jog/run a narrow strip up the middle of the pitch. Strikers need to work the channels and pull defences out of position - if Holt does that a midfielder should be attacking any ball he plays into the box and we have a few of those with height capable of heading a ball.In a straight head to head Iwan Vs Holt you would have to say Iwan would win at the moment and only because he played at a higher level for longer. I personally think they are pretty similar although Iwan had a height advantage. Holt is actually quicker than some people give him credit for, he isn''t as slow as Iwan was, he''s not lightening quick but he is no slouch.As for his positional sense - not sure where you see a lack of it. As soon as Martin hit that cross he knew he had to be in one place and one place only. You don''t score 6 goals this quickly in a season without knowing where to be at the right time. Yes he scored a hatrick in one game but then look at the other strikers in this division who have scored braces etc.

[S] Another idiotic post from Brendan.  Seriously, I know you like to boost your post count with the most inane drivel but please stop making a complete fool of yourself.

[quote user="Scooby"][S] Another idiotic post from Brendan.  Seriously, I know you like to boost your post count with the most inane drivel but please stop making a complete fool of yourself.[/quote]

Cheers scoob, great feedback [N]

Can i just clarify to everyone that i dont give a monkeys about my post count, who does? [:S]

I know he is a great player, I never denied that fact. And Im not sure about people on here, but people I know in real life think that he is a top Championship player, or even Prem. All i said is he is a tad over-rated, yet you seem to think that i said he was a terrible player. Im praising him, never critised him in any way, shape or form. [:|]

[quote user="Brendan"]

[quote user="Scooby"][S] Another idiotic post from Brendan.  Seriously, I know you like to boost your post count with the most inane drivel but please stop making a complete fool of yourself.[/quote]

Can i just clarify to everyone that i dont give a monkeys about my post count, who does? [:S]

I know he is a great player, I never denied that fact. And Im not sure about people on here, but people I know in real life think that he is a top Championship player, or even Prem. All i said is he is a tad over-rated, yet you seem to think that i said he was a terrible player. Im praising him, never critised him in any way, shape or form. [:|]

[/quote]is that why on another thread you were commenting on being 7 posts away from 1000?cos you dont care? and are you using this as an opinion? or to be deliberately obtuse.

Ok, I take notice to a certain number. Similar to people saying "i dont care about my age, therefore I am not ever going to have a party, or celebrate my birthday in any way".

[quote user="Brendan"]

Ok, I take notice to a certain number. Similar to people saying "i dont care about my age, therefore I am not ever going to have a party, or celebrate my birthday in any way".

[/quote]then you are contradicting. you need to remember what you say and be careful what you say otherwise you will get punished. goes in everything. not just a messageboard.as for your point. i get what you are saying, but its poorly said. from what i understand. you are saying he is good, but everyone is making him out to be a messiah. As im concerned. i havent seen much of that. do you have evidence to back your point up?

[quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]

Maybe Brendan has a point, Holt would be a alrite championship striker, take examples Billy Sharp 32 goals in league 1 and now in the championship he''s doing nothing. Same could be said about Freddy Eastwood.

[quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]Who the f**k thinks holt is good enough for the prem? Go ahead and slap your ''real life mates'' and not slate the legend on here!

For what it''s worth i haven''t come across anyone who thinks Holt would have a chance of cutting it in the Premier League, and to be honest, there aren''t many that think he could even cut it in the Championship either.Personally, i don''t think he''s over-rated.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Excellent League 2 striker , an ok League 1 striker (but there are better in the division ) but would be totally out of his depth in the Championship .[/quote]Unfortunately we wont know that until we are in the Championship. If he shows the same tenacity at Champs level that he does at this level then I think he will do just fine. Also consider that you tend to get a little more time and space at Champ level than league 1 or at least teams have better players and tend to try to do more than just press the other team a lot like MK Dons.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think he has done well enough in League 1 before... and yeah he is not really a championship player, definatly not a prem player, so won''t look as good as that kidn of player will he?
[/quote]

I think he is like Dion. And Dion was great in the Championship.

[quote user="Lineo"][quote user="Brendan"]

[/quote]

Who the f**k thinks holt is good enough for the prem? Go ahead and slap your ''real life mates'' and not slate the legend on here!
[/quote]

Can you read? [^o)] I swear ive stressed like 1 thousand times, that i am infact NOT slating him at all! Christ, and im the fool?