Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Grant Holt Overrated!

Heres my little rant:

Basically, i think Holt is over-rated. He is apparantly the best player weve had in ages. To be fair, hes playing against League 1 defenders, I know he is a good player, got excellent strength and holds the ball up very well. Hes got great work rate, but as someone mentioned before in the "Lee or Holt" thread, Lee is a proven goalscorer at championship level, Holt is proven at League 2 level, and starting to prove himself at League 1 level.

People also say we are very lucky to have him, yes we are lucky to have him, but Im not sure he would do that great in the Championship if we were there. Would we have signed him if we stayed up? Im not so sure, League 2 to Championship is a big jump.

He is one of our best players, im happy about that, I just think he is over-rated by most.

Thoughts please...

I think he has done well enough in League 1 before... and yeah he is not really a championship player, definatly not a prem player, so won''t look as good as that kidn of player will he?

[quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Basically, i think Holt is over-rated. He is apparantly the best player weve had in ages. To be fair, hes playing against League 1 defenders, I know he is a good player, got excellent strength and holds the ball up very well. Hes got great work rate, but as someone mentioned before in the "Lee or Holt" thread, Lee is a proven goalscorer at championship level, Holt is proven at League 2 level, and starting to prove himself at League 1 level.

People also say we are very lucky to have him, yes we are lucky to have him, but Im not sure he would do that great in the Championship if we were there. Would we have signed him if we stayed up? Im not so sure, League 2 to Championship is a big jump.

He is one of our best players, im happy about that, I just think he is over-rated by most.

Thoughts please...

[/quote]I''d say he''s proven at this level. The only times his goal scoring record has ever really been poor at this level is when he has been played on the wing for the majority of the season.Beg to differ. If played with a proven and effective striker that works well off the supply from a big centre forward (like Holt), he is more than capable of fulfilling that role at Championship level with the class he has at his disposal, and without doubt would prove himself to be a nuisance for any side in the final third.

Coming from someone who rates Jon Otsemobor!!!

Holt is different class and has proved that this season already, great decision making him captain, going to get bags of goals this season and help out those around him too.

It angers me when SOME people on here starting rating Hoolahan after one good performance but Grant Holt who has played well from Game 2 (Game 1 everyone was rubbish) gets nothing.

As much of an unsung hero than Adam Drury in my eyes....

Actually I rather agree with this. However, as has already been pointed out, he''s playing in league 1 & it''s how he performs here & now that matters, & at this level Grant''s a right handful. He''s trickier than he looks, but knows his limitations so gets the most out of his abilities. Plus he has the nous to judge the ref.''s level of crapness & winds the opposition up accordingly.All in all an excellent acquisition - who could still, in the right games, make a useful contribution in the Championship.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

I''d say he''s proven at this level. The only times his goal scoring record has ever really been poor at this level is when he has been played on the wing for the majority of the season.

Beg to differ. If played with a proven and effective striker that works well off the supply from a big centre forward (like Holt), he is more than capable of fulfilling that role at Championship level with the class he has at his disposal, and without doubt would prove himself to be a nuisance for any side in the final third.
[/quote]

Good point, I didnt think of it that way, thanks.

And thanks other people, I would rather discuss the point in question, correct me where you think im wrong, rather than have an attack at me please if you dont agree.

I knew i would get eaten alive. But I honestly think he is overrated a bit.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

I''d say he''s proven at this level. The only times his goal scoring record has ever really been poor at this level is when he has been played on the wing for the majority of the season.

Beg to differ. If played with a proven and effective striker that works well off the supply from a big centre forward (like Holt), he is more than capable of fulfilling that role at Championship level with the class he has at his disposal, and without doubt would prove himself to be a nuisance for any side in the final third.
[/quote]

And thanks other people, I would rather discuss the point in question, correct me where you think im wrong, rather than have an attack at me please if you dont agree.

[/quote]

Unlucky Brendan, if you post something as contreversial as this mate, don''t throw your toys out of the pram and have a tantrum if people disagree with you! A part of me thinks your wanted to create a post like this to spark reaction from people!      

Just goes to show how far we have come down that Grant is our current superstar, what players we had in the past, but unfortunately need to operate in the present and look forward to the future which is bleak.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]I''d say he''s proven at this level. The only times his goal scoring record has ever really been poor at this level is when he has been played on the wing for the majority of the season.Beg to differ. If played with a proven and effective striker that works well off the supply from a big centre forward (like Holt), he is more than capable of fulfilling that role at Championship level with the class he has at his disposal, and without doubt would prove himself to be a nuisance for any side in the final third.[/quote]

[/quote]

Unlucky Brendan, if you post something as contreversial as this mate, don''t throw your toys out of the pram and have a tantrum if people disagree with you! A part of me thinks your wanted to create a post like this to spark reaction from people!      

[/quote]... Excuse me, it''s a forum? This forum has seriouly gone down in my estimation if it is so close minded that it can''t tolerate a little bit of controversy in discussion without getting angry and frustrated, while reverting to this old ''mob'' mentallity thing.... That''s just low.Haha! So when did he start doing that exactly, cos i think i missed it?... Shocking. [^o)]

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly my point, i dont see by if you call me a fool, then surely you are the fool, because thats not trying to contradict me in anyway, so therefore you have no reason to call me a fool without explaining your point.

And i dont see how it is that contreversial, i never said he was sh*t did i, i know he is good, very good, but just over-rated.

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly my point, i dont see how you can call me a fool, because if you just call me a fool, then surely you are more the fool because you havent tried to contradict me or prove your point.

I never said Grant was bad, hes good, very good. I just think hes a tad over-rated.

[quote user="John"][quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

... Excuse me, it''s a forum?

This forum has seriouly gone down in my estimation if it is so close minded that it can''t tolerate a little bit of controversy in discussion without getting angry and frustrated, while reverting to this old ''mob'' mentallity thing.... That''s just low.

Haha! So when did he start doing that exactly, cos i think i missed it?

... Shocking. [^o)]
[/quote]

Thank you John!

Why cant i just put my fu**ing point across? I did it in the nicest possible way, never criticised Holt at all. [:|]

[quote user="John"][quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This forum has seriouly gone down in my estimation if it is so close minded that it can''t tolerate a little bit of controversy in discussion without getting angry and frustrated, while reverting to this old ''mob'' mentallity thing.... That''s just low.

... Shocking. [^o)]
[/quote]

Totally agree with your point it is a forum, and Brendan is entitled to his opinion however contreversial or otherwise!

Just incase you were unsure the moment when Brendan through his toys out of the pram I have and did highlight the point at which he did.

Just for the record Brendan I never called you a fool, to be fair you aren''t a fool and I''ve never agreed with name calling if people don''t agree with others views, it strikes me as that they don''t agree but they can''t be bothered to argue it so they resort to name calling!

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="John"][quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

... Shocking. [^o)]
[/quote]

Totally agree with your point it is a forum, and Brendan is entitled to his opinion however contreversial or otherwise!

Just incase you were unsure the moment when Brendan through his toys out of the pram I have and did highlight the point at which he did.

Just for the record Brendan I never called you a fool, to be fair you aren''t a fool and I''ve never agreed with name calling if people don''t agree with others views, it strikes me as that they don''t agree but they can''t be bothered to argue it so they resort to name calling!

[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about the fool calling accusing, just forgot to quote him instead.

[quote user="Brendan"]

Sorry, damned connection thing came up so i thought i had to type it out again. [:@]

[/quote]Don''t worry.Just keep on refreshing the page and you''ll get back everything you wrote.(By the way, Pete, methinks it''s time you started paying attention my friend?...)

I''d hardly say that asking people to "discuss the point in question, correct me where you think im wrong, rather than have an attack at me please if you dont agree" was throwing your toys out of the pram. Christ if that was what it was like when people threw their toys out their pram it''d be a great world to live in.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

... Shocking. [^o)]
[/quote]

Thank you John!

Why cant i just put my fu**ing point across? I did it in the nicest possible way, never criticised Holt at all. [:|]

[/quote]

oo there you go John just another example for you as you probably would''ve missed that one too!

Brendan, you put your point across in the opening post to this thread, I think you have to accept others have views that you may not agree with, we''re not all going to agree on the same subject that''s human nature!   

Some people on this message board (i don''t think you''re included in this bracket) think its a point scoring system where if 5 people agree with you it must be fact and the actual opinion on a Norwich fan, well its not. Its just how you deal with it that is the main thing!

If you think Grant Holt is ''over-rated'' thats fine by me, but as i said originally don''t feel aggrieved if people don''t agree with you! 

To the OP... im pretty sure posts like this are put on here to get a reaction/attention. Everyone knows holt isn''t the next Pele... Holt was successful at forest at this level when he was played as a striker. Can he do it at the next level? Good question, lets hope with norwich we get to find out. I

would look towards Graham the new Watford striker, he has moved up a

level and not found the goals that hard to get... i think the same will

be for Holt. holt was never a league 2 player, that''s why when

the shrews signed him it was a big deal (and that it was their record

signing) it was a surprise to see holt drop down to L2. I

would bet that a player like holt will find goals no matter what league

he plays in and i include the prem here... he won''t be a top scorer but

the way he hastles chases and pulls defenders about he''ll get the

chances. Is Holt worth the hype? I think so yes... Should we

be questionning fans who are getting excited about one of their players

after the cr@p they put up with last season... I don''t think so.

just want to add... i am not saying he''d do well in the prem.. but i think he''d score a few... he plays quite like kevin davies... not at all fashionable but very effective.the champ i think he''d do a good job...

Grant Holt reminds me of Dean Windass, big strong a goalscoring threat and has a cheeky side to him about winding up opposition defenders. Also gives everything for 90 minutes, if we''d had him last season we''d have been a lot closer to staying up IMHO.

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="Brendan"][quote user="John"][quote user="Brendan"]

Heres my little rant:

Thoughts please...

[/quote]I''d say he''s proven at this level. The only times his goal scoring record has ever really been poor at this level is when he has been played on the wing for the majority of the season.Beg to differ. If played with a proven and effective striker that works well off the supply from a big centre forward (like Holt), he is more than capable of fulfilling that role at Championship level with the class he has at his disposal, and without doubt would prove himself to be a nuisance for any side in the final third.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]... Excuse me, it''s a forum? This forum has seriouly gone down in my estimation if it is so close minded that it can''t tolerate a little bit of controversy in discussion without getting angry and frustrated, while reverting to this old ''mob'' mentallity thing.... That''s just low.Haha! So when did he start doing that exactly, cos i think i missed it?... Shocking. [^o)][/quote]

Thank you John!

[/quote]No problem Brendan.I understand completely. I got a lot of s*** myself yestarday from a few ignorant posters.I may be being a little cynical here, but i believe a worryingly large amount of participants on this board are in fact close minded bigots, and offer nothing but petty insults and cheap remarks and accusations for other people with contrasting opinions to that of which they held themselves. The prospect of havng a debate doesn''t even come into the equation for most.Even if you did criticise Holt, should it be a point thats been made, then people should at least have the coutesy to have a debate.Making insults, and such petty remarks is quite frankly disgusting.