Sign in to follow this  
Viva_Marc_Libbra

Hoolahan- Quietened the Boo Boys?

I''m really glad Hoolahan has staked a claim for a permanent position and hopefully he''ll be given it, playing just below Holt which is his position as a playmaker (as opposed to a left winger, which he isn''t half bad at). I''m also glad he''s shut up some of the boo boys on this forum who don''t rate him for whatever reason, when he is undoubtably one who can create goals unlike any other we currently have. I''m delighted he hit form today, and looked genuinely pleased when he scored!

I was pleased to see Hoolahan in the team today and thought he played quite well. Bearing in mind he''s been sitting on his backside for the best part of 6 weeks he lasted 90 minutes well. His first touch was not perfect and he was caught in possession once or twice but overall he had a good game.

Paul Lambert would be an idiot not to play him when we have ashortage of skillful, experienced players.

A comment about Jon Otsemabor - the boo boys on here have started to disappear - he was caught in possession in the second half which nearly led to a goal, but over the last 4-5 games I think he has been really solid, hopefully he can establish a partnership with Daley down the right hand side. Daley was really average against Charlton and failed to give us width and penetration especially during the second half

The match was a vast improvement on Walsall and if we can build on this performance then the play offs are a good target.

I thought we''d seen the last of Wes, i was really annoyed about him not being in the squad.

You would have to be blind. Most talent player in our squad.

Was he playing striker or behind Holt.

He made an important contribution yesterday. Both in scoring and creating opportunities. At this level he should be able to have an impact on games, and after a shaky start he made a real difference. When he has played on the wing, too often he hasn''t performed and unbalances the midfield. But in a free role up front he was able to run wherever he likes, with the only negative that it can leave Holt isolated and easy to mark.Someone earlier mentioned Otsemobor, who has indeed been more solid and disciplined recently. But wasn''t he marking both players who headed in the Charlton goals yesterday?

I have nothing against the guy but the way some people on here talk you would think he is the next Lionel Messi

On his day he is an excellent player BUT he does tend to drift in and out of games, he does dwell on the ball too long and he does compromise the shape and balance of the team. That said he would always be in my squad, however I''m not sure I would pick him as an automatic starter week in, week out

[quote user="the stump"]i have been critical of hoolahan in the past but today him and russell were both superb.well done wes[/quote]

Very true!

Hoolahan didn''t do his usual trick of beating a player then trying to beat him again and again and lose the ball. He did lose the ball a number of times but his good work far outweighed the bad stuff!

Russell also done well and looks over his "I don''t want to play in League 1" atitude!

He did okay, took the goal well, but went drifting out to the wing too often. Still wants to do too much, sometimes you need to be a little more direct.

I agree about him "wanting to do too much". He''s almost trying TOO hard to impress, which is hardly a bad thing. As soon as he knows fans are on his side he''ll settle more into a game which suits him. Which as shown yesterday is hopefully sitting just behind Grant Holt, where we debatably deserved all 3 points against the league pacesetters.

I have banged on about playing him behind the striker for a few weeks now, and I think that Saturday justified everything.

However, I am wary that one performance doesn''t make a player [theoklitos will be pleased to hear :)] but it just goes to show that wide left clearly is not his position.

I thought Wes'' injury ultimately cost us our Championship status last season.

However if we''ve finally found him a position which allows us to keep our team''s shape and have him deliver some good performances then I hope he stays, as TBH none of our other strikers have done a whole lot to stake a claim for a place in the side. Think Hoolahan may well be our top scorer bar Holt now??

Maybe playing him upfront is the answer to prevent his drifting and failing to track back throwing the shape of the team.  There`s a couple of tricky little players in the team i play for but we`re always telling them to do it as much as they like around the oppo`s penalty area, just not on the halfway line.  I`ve also noticed that he looks quite quick in this league- possibly because the defenders tend to be bigger and slower.

I was very critical of Hoolahan after his attitude when coming on during the Wycombe game, but i''m pleased that he''s forced his way back into Lamberts plans and take back some of my remarks. Saturday proved we can accomodate him in a strong balanced team. I would like to see him play a tad deeper like he did in the second half, which makes him harder to mark out of the game.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="the stump"]i have been critical of hoolahan in the past but today him and russell were both superb.well done wes[/quote] Very true! Hoolahan didn''t do his usual trick of beating a player then trying to beat him again and again and lose the ball. He did lose the ball a number of times but his good work far outweighed the bad stuff! Russell also done well and looks over his "I don''t want to play in League 1" atitude![/quote]

I agree about Russell ....but I saw Hoolihan lose the ball , while trying to dribble round too many players far more than a few times .......i still dont rate him, he is another Ian henderson...and will fade and disappear, I just hope we can sell him before he does .

[quote user="barclay seats 4849 "]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"][quote user="the stump"]i have been critical of hoolahan in the past but today him and russell were both superb.well done wes[/quote] Very true! Hoolahan didn''t do his usual trick of beating a player then trying to beat him again and again and lose the ball. He did lose the ball a number of times but his good work far outweighed the bad stuff! Russell also done well and looks over his "I don''t want to play in League 1" atitude![/quote]

I agree about Russell ....but I saw Hoolihan lose the ball , while trying to dribble round too many players far more than a few times .......i still dont rate him, he is another Ian henderson...and will fade and disappear, I just hope we can sell him before he does .

[/quote]Hasn''t Hoolahan consistently played well at this level? And isn''t Ian Henderson currently playing at a pretty decent level (if not better in quality than League One)?

You could compare a steaming turd with Henderson but not Hoolahan! Wes is miles better! There''s no comparison!

Yes, Hoolahan is frustrating at times, but he''s got the potential to make things happen (something big time charlie Hendo never did). He offers something that no other player on our books does.