Sign in to follow this  
stu

The Passing game

Having reflected on the game on Saturday, why do we find it so difficult to pass the ball? From where I was sitting, the number of times Drury just lumped it up to poor old Holt was too numerous to count. Why don''t our midfielders look to take a short pass from defenders. I noticed that as soon as we tried to pass the ball from defence through to midfield and then to the strikers, we seemed to split their defence open alot more easily. Sometimes our players have got to be braver looking for the ball.

This is something that has been bugging me for years now so I thought I''d get it off my chest! 

[quote user="stu"]

Having reflected on the game on Saturday, why do we find it so difficult to pass the ball? From where I was sitting, the number of times Drury just lumped it up to poor old Holt was too numerous to count. Why don''t our midfielders look to take a short pass from defenders. I noticed that as soon as we tried to pass the ball from defence through to midfield and then to the strikers, we seemed to split their defence open alot more easily. Sometimes our players have got to be braver looking for the ball.

This is something that has been bugging me for years now so I thought I''d get it off my chest! 

[/quote]I think Hughes does this very well, which is probably why we tend to play well with him in the centre of midfield.

[quote user="stu"]

[/quote]

Many more on this site have been saying the same for ages so it beggars belief that those in charge of the club can''t see it. Even at International level you lose 60% of possession by playing the high ball. Nigel Clough many years ago used to say to his players that if football was meant to be played up there grass would have been put up there.

Our best football has always been played on the ground year after year.