Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Should we sack "On the Ball City " as our anthem ? ? ? ?

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

On reflection and in hindsght I should have said what I really meant :-

"Should we sack the modern version of "On the Ball City" as our anthem ? ? ?. [;)][:D]

[/quote]Yes we should.I''m not even that old but even I blame the young ''uns in Block E (Nutty notwithstanding [;)]) for going too fast. But then I remember being eighteen and not realising that sometimes it might be of benefit to slow down a bit [;)]And we should definitely get rid of the staged sing-a-long started by Smashy (or Nicey) before kick off. Get rid of that and all the shitty musak before the game and we might get a decent atmosphere once more [Y]

I like it personnaly, and has been with us forever! But it does sound a tad naf.

I would like to keep it, just get a few new songs going too.

I still remember going to see some game as a y00f with my dad, and over the speaker it said."Today, Jim whos 93 from Swafffom is gorn ta be singning OTBC "We were all graced by some old boy singing it ove the loud speakers and it was proper cringe worthy. Over 15 years later me and my dad still sing OTBC in an old fellas voice.Its cringe worthy song, but its ours. I think its quite good , get rid of the cheese i agree ie : the stagged singing before kick off... and get rid of that massive bleeding shirt on the centre circle as well, thats just naff.

I did like the Canaries song, we were playing up till last season for 2 seasons if my memory is correct.

And we should keep the OTBC song, but for the start of each half and if we go behind, we do need a vast array of songs sung.

Completely agree Nutty, especially with your comments on the staged OTBC before the match. But I guess it''s a sign of the times and now we would both be classed as old codgers by the club marketing people. Plus those people on the pitch starting off the song pay for the privilege!!

IT is sung too fast though, completely agree with those comments.

Pre Game OTBC staged singing is one of the most embarrissing things about being a Norwich fan.....only beaten by the 3 toed swamp monsters interviewed by Sky before any live Norwich game....

OK during the game though and part of our heritage

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Don''t get me wrong,

I know it''s reputed to be football''s oldest Anthem, I can remember the days when we used to sing it with a tune as opposed to the current chant. But it doesn''t come across as too inspiring nowadays and tends to peter out somewhat when it be should be increasing in volume.

Might I suggest that "The Canaries" be used again, it starts off something like "...we are the football team in the yellow and green . . etc etc", and was very popular in our ''59 cup days. It is also a song I think that ALL the crowd would happily join in with.

Just a thought [:D]

Might just as well bin the yellow and green too then?

[/quote]

Derinately - it is a boring old song more suited to a funeral than inspiring 11 players to do the business - come on everyone ''On the Ball City blah blah blah'' 

No wonder we hardly win with the players having to listen to that old drab song before kick off - it puts me on a downer before a ball is kicked so what it does to the players i dont know - we blame the club for not moving forward and here we are still singing a song thought of in the 50''s - lets get the pr man to play something up beat we can all sing along to just prior to kick off - dont know what team it is but their fans sing ''glad all over'' a cracking upbeat tune to get everyone going so something similar should do us nicely   

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

I did like the Canaries song, we were playing up till last season for 2 seasons if my memory is correct.

And we should keep the OTBC song, but for the start of each half and if we go behind, we do need a vast array of songs sung.

[/quote]

Agree with this I loved singing to the Canaries song but for some reason it has been binned - at least it is a bit more lively