Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Should we sack "On the Ball City " as our anthem ? ? ? ?

Don''t get me wrong,

I know it''s reputed to be football''s oldest Anthem, I can remember the days when we used to sing it with a tune as opposed to the current chant. But it doesn''t come across as too inspiring nowadays and tends to peter out somewhat when it be should be increasing in volume.

Might I suggest that "The Canaries" be used again, it starts off something like "...we are the football team in the yellow and green . . etc etc", and was very popular in our ''59 cup days. It is also a song I think that ALL the crowd would happily join in with.

Just a thought [:D]

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Don''t get me wrong,

I know it''s reputed to be football''s oldest Anthem, I can remember the days when we used to sing it with a tune as opposed to the current chant. But it doesn''t come across as too inspiring nowadays and tends to peter out somewhat when it be should be increasing in volume.

Might I suggest that "The Canaries" be used again, it starts off something like "...we are the football team in the yellow and green . . etc etc", and was very popular in our ''59 cup days. It is also a song I think that ALL the crowd would happily join in with.

sorry to correct you then but was not written until 1972, i believe by a guy called Chic Applin who i think was a band leader at the old Norwood rooms

[/quote]

Sack it no, but....IMO Jim does have a point about...well it isn''t a song anymore is it?  The words are just spat out like a machine gun these days,  which seem to get faster each season.  I believe it peters out because it''s too quick to keep up.  IF a group of a few got together to give the traditional version a go, it may catch on.

The original suggestion is so f*8king idiotic that i will not dignify it with a response.

I do agree however with the comment that there is a general issue with a number of our fans who seem unable to sing chants at the correct speed and seem to just get faster and faster with any chant they sing until you can''t get any decent volume. Appears to me to generally emanate from the "speed clappers" in Block E of the Barclay! Snake pit tend to sing OTBC at the right pace!

I started a thread about this towards the end of last season about how the songs were gradually being spoilt. It seems to be getting worse every season so that songs sound like a jumbled mess because they''re sung so fast. Yarmyyarmyyarmy and OTBC sung so quick.

I feel if everyone who this annoys stuck to singing at a more ''traditional'' pace maybe we could slow things down again.

having said that, maybe others just aren''t bothered!

i''m disgusted at the thought of dropping OTBC, but have to say that the "staged" singing of it just before kick off makes me cringe at times its so cheeeeezy.

it needs to slow down agreed, but when sung in full flight properly it always makes me hair stand on end....awesome song and one we should be proud to sing.

Rich

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Don''t get me wrong,

[/quote]

Burn the heritic!........................only kidding Jim.[;)]

Ah ! As I said just a thought on my part [:$]

I just felt that if I were a City footballer coming out to that, then I wouldn''t be too inspired.

We have had radical change in Executive, Manager and playing staff but it seems that a departure of TBC is too radical for some to contemplate, it seems [:O]

Well Ron Saunders wanted shot of it[:O] He thought it was a dirge and not at all inspiring. I wonder if he''d approve of us "heathens in E Block"[;)] speeding it up?

For me there''s nothing better than to hear the passion as our anthem rings around the ground. But like it or not the crowd has to be inspired by something on the pitch for this to happen. We don''t have to be winning, we don''t have to even score a goal. In my opinion the most passionate renditions of OTBC are when there''s real commitment and passion shown on the pitch.

I think it''s attempted too many times which is why it falls flat. I too am not a fan of the staged pre-match chant. However I think it''s inspirational when we use it to get behind the team when they fall a goal behind. But again I think it only works when it''s deserved not as a matter of course.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think it''s attempted too many times which is why it falls flat. I too am not a fan of the staged pre-match chant.

[/quote]Agree.The bit where the cheesey local radio DJ (I assume thats what he is...that accent is only ever found on them!) comes out with his microphone is cringeworthy. In fact I can only think of one other more cringeworthy use of a microphone inside Carrow Road....but lets not go there! [;)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

The original suggestion is so f*8king idiotic that i will not dignify it with a response.

I do agree however with the comment that there is a general issue with a number of our fans who seem unable to sing chants at the correct speed and seem to just get faster and faster with any chant they sing until you can''t get any decent volume. Appears to me to generally emanate from the "speed clappers" in Block E of the Barclay! Snake pit tend to sing OTBC at the right pace!

[/quote]

Your original line in the comment I quoted above contradicts itself. I''m not going to say anymore about it, but here I go saying more about it. [:P][;)]

We definitely need to sing it slower. Seems to get faster every year.Agreed we need to bin the staged pre-match singing of it as well... embarrassing.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Your original line in the comment I quoted above contradicts itself. I''m not going to say anymore about it, but here I go saying more about it. [:P][;)]

[/quote]

No it doesn''t. 2 separate points. The first being that OTBC should be replaced. The second being that we sing our songs too quickly. The first point i did not respond to. The second i agreed with.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I thought i was the only person who''d noticed that one. Good call, the Barclay sing OTBC, and a few others songs, far too quickly.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I thought i was the only person who''d noticed that one. Good call, the Barclay sing OTBC, and a few others songs, far too quickly.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

Whoever said it was not inspirational has not heard it ringing round wembley, sack it, never.

[/quote]When it did ring around Wembley it was a damn sight slower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVn9eLOkF0

Happy now [:^)]

[/quote]

First off - site still playing up and why do my attempts at quotes turn out as the above jumbled garbage and why do my icons appear in the Thread header?

Anyway NN interesting recording, sounds like a hymn - but I enjoyed it. I would prefer to see the "old" version being sung and Hoorah! we''ve scored a goal! reinstated. Ditch the contrived singalong prior to kick-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPVn9eLOkF0

Happy now [:^)]

[/quote]

First off - site still playing up and why do my attempts at quotes turn out as the above jumbled garbage and why do my icons appear in the Thread header?

Anyway NN interesting recording, sounds like a hymn - but I enjoyed it. I would prefer to see the "old" version being sung and Hoorah! we''ve scored a goal! reinstated. Ditch the contrived singalong prior to kick-off.

While we''re at it why don''t we change our colours and take on a nickname that''s a bit more inspiring.  Or perhaps let''s not.  Love it hate it it''s part of the soul of our club.

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]While we''re at it why don''t we change our colours and take on a nickname that''s a bit more inspiring.  Or perhaps let''s not.  Love it hate it it''s part of the soul of our club.[/quote]

With respect Dronny, No it''s not the soul of our club, not in it''s present version anyway, compare the two consecutive utube clips provided by Nutty and then tell me which is the most inspiring.

On reflection and in hindsght I should have said what I really meant :-

"Should we sack the modern version of "On the Ball City" as our anthem ? ? ?. [;)][:D]