Sign in to follow this  
barclay46

BBC Look East coverage

Is anyone else as fed-up as I am with the totally biased coverage of regional football on the BBC Look East early evening news broadcast? We get coverage of the Ipswich game,interview with the manager followed by chats with some ''fans''. Yet other teams get barely a mention including City.Is the sports editor a shareholder at ipswich?

[quote user="barclay46"]Is anyone else as fed-up as I am with the totally biased coverage of regional football on the BBC Look East early evening news broadcast? We get coverage of the Ipswich game,interview with the manager followed by chats with some ''fans''. Yet other teams get barely a mention including City.Is the sports editor a shareholder at ipswich?[/quote]

I keep trying to answer this.  They''ve axed a lot of staff to save money and instead of tailored "area" Sports Bulletin they now have a one size fits all (doesn''t change for the region) Sports Bulletin.

You could write in and complain but it would be a waste of a stamp.  At best you''ll get a soppy letter back telling you how much they value your contribution as a listener/viewer and assuring you of their future committment to giving fair and balanced coverage "to all the sports that we cover in our region."

If you think it unbalanced the letter writer will assure you that he is "sorry to hear that you feel".................

[quote user="pennywise "]why bother watching it ? the highlights are on the bbc website and much more comprehensive than anything look east ever show ...[/quote]

Regional BBC is the Elephants Graveyard.  If you haven''t got out of it by 28-29ish you ain''t going to be in the Premier League.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="barclay46"]Is anyone else as fed-up as I am with the totally biased coverage of regional football on the BBC Look East early evening news broadcast? We get coverage of the Ipswich game,interview with the manager followed by chats with some ''fans''. Yet other teams get barely a mention including City.Is the sports editor a shareholder at ipswich?[/quote]

I keep trying to answer this.  They''ve axed a lot of staff to save money and instead of tailored "area" Sports Bulletin they now have a one size fits all (doesn''t change for the region) Sports Bulletin.

You could write in and complain but it would be a waste of a stamp.  At best you''ll get a soppy letter back telling you how much they value your contribution as a listener/viewer and assuring you of their future committment to giving fair and balanced coverage "to all the sports that we cover in our region."

If you think it unbalanced the letter writer will assure you that he is "sorry to hear that you feel".................

[/quote]I wondered what had happened to Shaun Peel ......  He seemed to quite like Norwich, in an ironic way ....

The amount of coverage is relevant to the amount of newsworthy news the football club provides: Therefore if we were top of the league we would be getting better coverage, as it is both Ipsh*t and Posh are in the league above us and the other reason Ipsh*t get more coverage is because they are doing so badly. So it isn''t always bad news. It''s never been any different as far as I can remember. Was it Stuart White the presenter used to get booed by the Barclay as he walked to the old commentary position when reporting from CR as he is an Ipsh*t fan?

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]The amount of coverage is relevant to the amount of newsworthy news the football club provides: Therefore if we were top of the league we would be getting better coverage, as it is both Ipsh*t and Posh are in the league above us and the other reason Ipsh*t get more coverage is because they are doing so badly. So it isn''t always bad news. It''s never been any different as far as I can remember. Was it Stuart White the presenter used to get booed by the Barclay as he walked to the old commentary position when reporting from CR as he is an Ipsh*t fan?[/quote]

The odds are certainly on them concentrating on the higher League and news value - Ip**** struggling is a better story because Keane is involved.  Nationals are currently interested in Ip**** but only because of the Keane Factor.

Nothings changed about this.

The local stations always start with and  usually give more coverage to the teams with the highest league standing.

Therefore because Ipswich and Posh are in a league above us they get priority, it was always the way.

Stuart White is not an Ipswich fan, he supports Aston Villa.

Shaun Peel supports Blackburn.

Look East last night had a big piece on Colchester but didn''t even give City''s score. I e-mailed them last night asking why, still waiting for a reply, doubt if ill get one.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Local tv coverage of all sport is disgraceful. I believe that Kings Lynn speedway team has won their league title again ?, unless I fell asleep last night, which happens increasingly, I did not notice any coverage on either channel. I believe that finance is an issue these days and maybe the time has come for The BBC and ITV to pool their resources and provide just the one regional news programme, surely this would be an improvement on what we are served with now. I have seen many reports on both programmes where the stations have dispatched their own reporters  and therefore their own camera crews who obviously travel seperately , this just has to waste money doesn''t it?. I would find it hard to believe that local Sport/ News coverage is a ratings winner, therefore why do they feel the need to compete?

Look East has always been ridiculously pro-Ipswich and Anglia has always been pro-Norwich. I can never remember a time when this wasn''t the case.

Ian Winter and Sean Peel are two of the most useless reporters there has ever been. I''m sure Peel was, at one point, paid solely on comission by the amount of terrible puns he could get into a report.

[quote user="John Morlar"]Local tv coverage of all sport is disgraceful. I believe that Kings Lynn speedway team has won their league title again ?, unless I fell asleep last night, which happens increasingly, I did not notice any coverage on either channel. I believe that finance is an issue these days and maybe the time has come for The BBC and ITV to pool their resources and provide just the one regional news programme, surely this would be an improvement on what we are served with now. I have seen many reports on both programmes where the stations have dispatched their own reporters  and therefore their own camera crews who obviously travel seperately , this just has to waste money doesn''t it?. I would find it hard to believe that local Sport/ News coverage is a ratings winner, therefore why do they feel the need to compete?[/quote]

Yes we have won the Premier League in speedway and haven''t even got a mention.  Although it will most likely have a report on Thursday as the Premier League trophy is being presented tomorrow night at the Norfolk Arean, there are normally reporters from TV and newspapers there.

I hate it when you have to watch the whole of Look East just for the football news, and some nights they don''t even have any so you''ve watched the whole boring programme for nothing. Also it''s just a repeat of what you''ve just seen on Anglia news.[|-)]

I agree that Peels reports were rubbish, he seemed to be playing for laughs.

I dont believe that the stations are pro or anti either way, football fans are very touchy.

Down in Ipswich they think all the local media are pro Norwich.

Probably upsets them that both TV stations are here and even their local papers are Norwich owned and printed

The thing is is that there are now 5 teams in the BBC east region, 4 of which are currently above us. I don''t think it is any bias, they just have to now spread out their reporting a bit more evenly over the week.

Besides, why so bothered about not seeing a full report on Monday, if you want to see the highlights then watch them on the BBC website and you have probably read three or four reports about the game in the press (the observer did nearly a whole page on the game on Sunday) don''t know about you but I am much happier seeing keane and the binners being in the bad books on tv.

Trouble with Sky showing lots of goals against us?  Thats because we concede a lot....or did.....

Dont bother with Anglia news or Look East nowadays - Id rather watch goals on the highlights programme (which I Sky+) or the net

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="pennywise "]why bother watching it ? the highlights are on the bbc website and much more comprehensive than anything look east ever show ...[/quote]

Regional BBC is the Elephants Graveyard.  If you haven''t got out of it by 28-29ish you ain''t going to be in the Premier League.

[/quote]

Oh and getting £100 a week for filing ten lines on page 33 of the Daily Star then spending the rest of the day posting on a Message Board dedicated to a team you don''t even support is the "Premier League" is it!

Ha ha

Got this back from Look East

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

This season with the BBC being a rights holder to the football league we have changed the way we cover the weekend action on Monday nights.

We now show all of the goals involving the regions Football League clubs in our Sunday tea-time bulletin. This enables us to do a bigger feature from a particular match looking at what goes on behind the scenes on a Monday night.

This also complements all of the other coverage accross the BBC on the Football League. You can see goals on the Football League Show on a Saturday night following Match the Day. This programme is also available on a Sunday morning via the red button, and the BBC iPlayer for the next week. You can also see extended highlights of your side on the BBC website from Monday mornings.

Best regards,

The club has got to so low we cant even make the local news.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST