Sign in to follow this  
Forces2Canaries

OT Charlton

Charlton''s good start to the season has been boosted by a £7m investment from seven of their directors.

It is hoped that the money will help the Addicks, who are currently second in League One, win promotion to the Championship at the first attempt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/8268618.stm

[quote user="hogesar"]So that''s what it''s like to have ambition....[:D]
[/quote]

No, that''s what it''s like to have money

We had 7 million investment from the premier league(parachute money) but we wasted that.

Do you think if we had it now we would do more with it, for the team that is?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I have no idea as I support a club with no ambition but plenty of prudence[/quote]

Must support a different club from me as I''ve seen little "prudence" used in running mine recently!

[quote user="Dronny Canary"]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I have no idea as I support a club with no ambition but plenty of prudence[/quote]

Must support a different club from me as I''ve seen little "prudence" used in running mine recently!

[/quote]

They''ve cut back on the portions.....and the gravy''s thinner.

The impression we get this end is that this is not all going towards buying players - indeed part of the purpose of it is investment that will allow them to avoid selling players.  No doubt there will be a pot if they need to use the loan or transfer market but I''m pretty confident a lot of this money is simply earmarked to enable them to avoid a financial crisis in the day to day running for the rest of the season.  They''ve approximately double your amount of debt and all the latest takeover talks appear to have fallen by the wayside.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

The impression we get this end is that this is not all going towards buying players - indeed part of the purpose of it is investment that will allow them to avoid selling players.  No doubt there will be a pot if they need to use the loan or transfer market but I''m pretty confident a lot of this money is simply earmarked to enable them to avoid a financial crisis in the day to day running for the rest of the season.  They''ve approximately double your amount of debt and all the latest takeover talks appear to have fallen by the wayside.

[/quote]

I asked a similar question to the Board Representatives at the Capital Canaries AGM in August. Supposing I was a new investor with £5 million to invest, I’d want it spent or a 20 goal a season striker, a nasty and commanding centre back, a midfield general and a tricky winger, but I think you would say that some of this money needs to be used to pay off the club debt.

If I was a new investor I wouldn’t be happy, covering old debts off with my money.

[quote user="hogesar"]So that''s what it''s like to have ambition....[:D][/quote]No, that''s what it''s like to have some directors with 7 million quid lying around....which they''ll doubtless be looking for a return on.You could always get the ball rolling by investing some of your cash into shares - or is it just easier to post a predictable and dull response on a forum?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="hogesar"]So that''s what it''s like to have ambition....[:D]
[/quote]

No, that''s what it''s like to have some directors with 7 million quid lying around....which they''ll doubtless be looking for a return on.
You could always get the ball rolling by investing some of your cash into shares - or is it just easier to post a predictable and dull response on a forum?
[/quote]

Looking for a return on.....correct!

No different from our major-sharehoggers.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="hogesar"]So that''s what it''s like to have ambition....[:D][/quote]No, that''s what it''s like to have some directors with 7 million quid lying around....which they''ll doubtless be looking for a return on.You could always get the ball rolling by investing some of your cash into shares - or is it just easier to post a predictable and dull response on a forum?[/quote]

[/quote]And your point is?Oh, you don''t have one. Suprise, that.

[quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I asked a similar question to the Board Representatives at the Capital Canaries AGM in August. Supposing I was a new investor with £5 million to invest, I’d want it spent or a 20 goal a season striker, a nasty and commanding centre back, a midfield general and a tricky winger, but I think you would say that some of this money needs to be used to pay off the club debt.

If I was a new investor I wouldn’t be happy, covering old debts off with my money.

[/quote]

I honestly don''t know Tim but my belief is that Charlton are in serious financial stook, worse than Norwich, and that a great deal of this money is just to keep them going.  I''m sure some will be allocated to the "playing budget" but I suspect not that much of it.

These are, of course, not "new investors" calling the shots if they can but the existing directors.  The club won''t say why recent takeover candidates waved goodbye and cite confidentiality clauses but there''s absolutely no doubt at all that the first Saudi property group took one detailed look at the books and fled.

In my view this is not "new investment" - it''s actually investment to keep it going.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Tim Allman"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I honestly don''t know Tim but my belief is that Charlton are in serious financial stook, worse than Norwich, and that a great deal of this money is just to keep them going.  I''m sure some will be allocated to the "playing budget" but I suspect not that much of it.

These are, of course, not "new investors" calling the shots if they can but the existing directors.  The club won''t say why recent takeover candidates waved goodbye and cite confidentiality clauses but there''s absolutely no doubt at all that the first Saudi property group took one detailed look at the books and fled.

In my view this is not "new investment" - it''s actually investment to keep it going.

[/quote]

PS: Charlton would drive Tangible Fixed Assets completely over the top!  They have TFA far in excess of Norwich, property sites all over the area, mostly bomb sites acquired immediately post war, now filled with crumbling flats many from the 60s and now in desperate need of replacement - but this is not quite the time is it?

If/when land/property values return to what they once were Charlton are an asset rich club.

In the meantime, I''m hoping for us to beat them next Tuesday - their first defeat?  That would be nice and possibly help you as well.[;)]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="hogesar"]So that''s what it''s like to have ambition....[:D]
[/quote]

No, that''s what it''s like to have some directors with 7 million quid lying around....which they''ll doubtless be looking for a return on.
You could always get the ball rolling by investing some of your cash into shares - or is it just easier to post a predictable and dull response on a forum?
[/quote]

[/quote]

And your point is?
Oh, you don''t have one. Suprise, that.
[/quote]

The point being, that our major-sharehoggers will also want a return on their investment.....No surprises.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

PS: Charlton would drive Tangible Fixed Assets completely over the top!  They have TFA far in excess of Norwich, property sites all over the area, mostly bomb sites acquired immediately post war, now filled with crumbling flats many from the 60s and now in desperate need of replacement - but this is not quite the time is it?

If/when land/property values return to what they once were Charlton are an asset rich club.

In the meantime, I''m hoping for us to beat them next Tuesday - their first defeat?  That would be nice and possibly help you as well.[;)]

[/quote]

No.. Sorry Cam but this is all very unhelpful. There''s no desire to know about clubs who are worse off than us on here.  We need to hear about clubs we can envy. Like when Southampton signed that Rickie Lambert, now that showed real ambition when all we got was Grant Holt. They''re definitely going to be flying past us this month, I know that because Smudger told me.

So just remember old son, we don''t want to know about anything that doesn''t increase our feelings of self loathing. So please go away and dig up something helpful.

Thank you.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No.. Sorry Cam but this is all very unhelpful. There''s no desire to know about clubs who are worse off than us on here.  We need to hear about clubs we can envy. Like when Southampton signed that Rickie Lambert, now that showed real ambition when all we got was Grant Holt. They''re definitely going to be flying past us this month, I know that because Smudger told me.

So just remember old son, we don''t want to know about anything that doesn''t increase our feelings of self loathing. So please go away and dig up something helpful.

Thank you.

[/quote]

I''ve taken your advice. The something helpful bit which I hope fits in the self loathing thing is that 8/10 refs would have given a free kick to the Charlton keeper and disallowed Holt''s goal.

Best I can do I''m afraid.[+o(]

Well yes Cam.. eight out of ten goalkeepers said their refs preferred them. So Cameron Jerome and Grant Holt are got the other two.

You win some - You lose some.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well yes Cam.. eight out of ten goalkeepers said their refs preferred them. So Cameron Jerome and Grant Holt are got the other two.

You win some - You lose some.

[/quote]

Sorry, I was just trying to help with the self loathing stuff.[+o(]

As Tiny Tim said: God Bless us all.

You away to Gillingham, we away to Tranmere.

[:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

are got the other two[:$]

When do my English classes start[8-|]

[/quote]

Over subscribed if this message board is anything to go by[;)]

Back to writing my searing analysis of Vaughan Williams Symphony No 3 for the world premiere in Olomouc in downtown Moravia.

Where to start?

[:S]

[quote]

Back to writing my searing analysis of Vaughan Williams Symphony No 3 for the world premiere in Olomouc in downtown Moravia.

Where to start?[/quote]

With the bugler who missed his octave, one presumes...

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

Where to start?[/quote]

[/quote]

My mate had  a rubber bugle, he always said he was looking for an elastic band. [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

Where to start?[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely correct Blah.  Never neglect the scene setting.....

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

Where to start?[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely correct Blah.  Never neglect the scene setting.....

[/quote]Or the research on wiki [;)]...