Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

Robert Fleck / opposition fans

Couple of urban myths that I''ve heard over the years, but my painstaking ten minute research has thus far shed no light.1. Did he really respond to away fans who had been chanting ''you fat bastard'' at him all game by doing one-armed push-ups in front of them when he scored?2. Did he really wear a Norwich shirt under his Reading one when he played for the Royals, and reveal it to the Ipswich fans after scoring against them?Any more that you know are true (or false) - and can you supply links to video or articles to back them up?Looking forward to hearing some Flecky memories, if nothing else.

Not sure about the answers to the above (though I would put it past him), but he was my idol as I was growing up. The man was a legend to me and still is. He auctioned off his Italia 90 kit from when he played against Sweden which my parents won. It still hangs in my wardrobe at home with his autograph on the front. Sad aren''t I haha.

He is working at a special needs school in Norwich now and loves it (was on the local news not so long back.

[quote user="MG7"]

2. Did he really wear a Norwich shirt under his Reading one when he played for the Royals, and reveal it to the Ipswich fans after scoring against them?

[/quote]

Haven''t heard this one but god I hope it''s true!! [:D][Y]

[quote user="MG7"]Couple of urban myths that I''ve heard over the years, but my painstaking ten minute research has thus far shed no light.1. Did he really respond to away fans who had been chanting ''you fat bastard'' at him all game by doing one-armed push-ups in front of them when he scored?2. Did he really wear a Norwich shirt under his Reading one when he played for the Royals, and reveal it to the Ipswich fans after scoring against them?Any more that you know are true (or false) - and can you supply links to video or articles to back them up?Looking forward to hearing some Flecky memories, if nothing else.[/quote]Remember seeing him do the first one, just can for the life of me remember who it was against though.Second one is new to me, but would be awesome if he did!

I loved his reaction at an away match at Filbert Street that I went to (the day we heard that Martin O'' Neil had resigned). We were chanting "Chase Out" and various other anti Chase songs and Flecky turned towards from out on the pitch and made a gesture with both arms signalling to us to up the volume. A true club legend and bubbly character was Robert.

The one arm push up thing seems to be a faint memory in my mind, either that or im just letting my imagination run away with me.He was a funny guy though. I seem to remember one home game, back when it wasnt a sell out every game. The ball went out of play into the south stand in an empty part between home and away supporters. Flecky lept over the advertising boards, retrieved the ball and proceeded to take the throw in from 4 rows back in the south stand! classic. Made me chuckle anyway!

I was but a nipper when Flecky was playing (I remember getting Robert Rosario''s autograph and thinking he was the tallest man alive!!) His son has a massive reputation North of the Border. Sadly I dont think he will ever pull on the yellow and green

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"]I loved his reaction at an away match at Filbert Street that I went to (the day we heard that Martin O'' Neil had resigned). We were chanting "Chase Out" and various other anti Chase songs and Flecky turned towards from out on the pitch and made a gesture with both arms signalling to us to up the volume. A true club legend and bubbly character was Robert.[/quote]

Have you been listening to Derek and Clive again Pablo?

[quote user="Satriales"]The one arm push up thing seems to be a faint memory in my mind, either that or im just letting my imagination run away with me.He was a funny guy though. I seem to remember one home game, back when it wasnt a sell out every game. The ball went out of play into the south stand in an empty part between home and away supporters. Flecky lept over the advertising boards, retrieved the ball and proceeded to take the throw in from 4 rows back in the south stand! classic. Made me chuckle anyway![/quote]Remember the South Stand throw in as well!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_zGUY6hsx0 Couple of nice goals from him here too (and I remember standing in the Barclay for this game!)

Fleck is a Legend :D I did a football thing he did in trowse at one points, he was a great guy.. he works at my Brothers School now :D

[quote user="Satriales"]The one arm push up thing seems to be a faint memory in my mind, either that or im just letting my imagination run away with me.

He was a funny guy though. I seem to remember one home game, back when it wasnt a sell out every game. The ball went out of play into the south stand in an empty part between home and away supporters. Flecky lept over the advertising boards, retrieved the ball and proceeded to take the throw in from 4 rows back in the south stand! classic. Made me chuckle anyway!
[/quote]

I remember being sat on the 2nd or 3rd row from the front of the Barcaly during his second coming and him jumping the advertising boards and the 2nd fence and taking as seat in front of me. Can''t remember if he''d just scored or just couldn''t stop after chasing a through ball. Classic Fleck though, can''t recall any other players having the balls to jump into the stand!? 

It doesn''t surprise me one bit, that he now works in a school. Going back 7 or 8 years ago, my sons used to go to his weekly soccer schools in Hethersett. He was brilliant with the kids. Not only was he a good coach, he made it fun! He''s a very funny bloke. People go on about the Earnshaw''s and Ashton''s etc. But for me, Flecky was a true legend and one of the best forwards in Norwich''s history. I will never forget that injury time winning goal against Millwall. We were 2 nil up after 20 minutes and then Millwall had got the score back to 2-2 at half time. Second half was all Millwall. They had chance after chance, but didn''t take it. Right at the end of the match, Flecky scores to most spectacular volley you will ever see to win the match and put us TOP of league 1 (prem now).

I remember the Millwall match, watching on TV Sunday afternoon what a classic match and a tremendous effort from Flecky at the end.

Never got to the old Den but an inhospitable place by all accounts.

The name legend is bandied about a bit too often but Flecky was one without a doubt.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"]I loved his reaction at an away match at Filbert Street that I went to (the day we heard that Martin O'' Neil had resigned). We were chanting "Chase Out" and various other anti Chase songs and Flecky turned towards from out on the pitch and made a gesture with both arms signalling to us to up the volume. A true club legend and bubbly character was Robert.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, classic comedy from the late, greats Cook and Moore, but what does that have to do with what I''ve written?

[quote user="Pablo Pickarsole"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

Ah, classic comedy from the late, greats Cook and Moore, but what does that have to do with what I''ve written?

[/quote]

Nothing to do with Flecky.Just commenting on your username!

I can remember having a meal at the pizza place in Tombland. A little boy was sat next to us with his parents and his Dad was trying to get him to go over to Fleckie for his autograph. The boy was so nervous by the time he got to Fleckie he''d burst in to tears. We could see Fleckie talk to him, then come over to the boys Dad and ask if the boy could finish his meal with him and a couple of mates he was with. It was feelgood stuff at it''s best!!

I remember the press ups, but not the game, maybe he did it more than once?

Also remember the Leicester game and the anti Chase chants and his reaction. How we miss characters like Flecky!

I remember going to the John O''Neil testemnial in which Gary Lineker turned out in a Norwich shirt. Flecky swapped with Gunny towards the end and went in goal. It was before the backpass rule was introduced and he kept thowing the ball at Culverhouse''s back. Culverhouse, just calmly passed it back and he did it again, this happened several times so Culverhouse lobbed him for an own goal. Fleck then nicked a St Johns ambulance hat and a kit-kat from the ''swweeeeeeeeeeeeeeets chocolates, hot drinks, cold drinks'' guy and sat against the goal post in his hat eating it. Legend.

I remember him puffing his cheeks out and waddling after scoring a goal when away fans had taunted him about his weight too, but not the press up...

My girlfriend works with Flecky at the special needs school 2 days a week, and says he is a lovely man who cares about the kids endlessly and loves his job!

Thanks for that vid on the Sutton match, man Carrow Road has changed over the years. I''m one of those nerds who is interested in football stadiums (!) can anyone tell me when the corners were filled in (snake pit and the family corner)?

No I haven''t unfortunately, although on the other hand it looks like good reading, thanks for the tip!