Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

Legends ?

When does a player at NCFC become a legend , and what has to be achieved to earn this status. In my opinion the term Legend is a very loose term not only at Norwich but at most clubs. For instance , Gary Holt = legend or part of a good promotion side. 

I sincerely think Grant Holt could be. And yes I did notice someone using the title legend when describing Gary Holt earlier. He''s not a legend in my mind but someone fondly remembered who would always be fondly acknowledged by most Canaries. I''d say a legend is someone who for a significant period of time contributes match altering effort or acts in a manner which excites or inspires the fans and who can claim to have taken ownership of their role (stamped their mark on it). Such that if we were to try to name a legendary playmaker, goal keeper etc'' then these people''s names would come up time after time.

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]Gary Holt = legend or part of a good promotion side. [/quote]It''s not a case of and or, Gary holt is a legend because he was part of our promotion side. And not just a small part of the side either, an extremely important part. Here''s what I wrote on the Gary Holt thread (I''m not trying to be pompous by quoting myself, just can''t be arsed to write it again...)"Without him, Damien Francis would have had to tackle, instead of

concentrating on attacking and scoring goals. Phil Mulryne''s Norwich

career would''ve been stunted much sooner than it was, he didn''t have

the mobility to get around the pitch. The central defence had

protection, the fullbacks had cover, the wingers were bailed out, and

the fans had someone they could empathise with, that was willing to run

through a wall for the club. He had no designs to go elsewhere, never a

mention of his contract renewal, wage dispute, late for training, out

drunk before/after a match."Not a football legend. Not a sporting legend, or a political activist, or a Nobel Peace Prize winner. But Norwich City''s recent history would be very different without him, and therefore in my opinion a legend. As I see it, Damien Francis, another part of recent NCFC history, isn''t. Nor is Matt Svennson, even if he was great. Nor Darren Kenton. But Gary Holt, YES.

The problem is that the word clearly means different things to different people.  I agree that it seems to get thrown around a bit quickly these days.  For me a legend has to have played for us for a decent length of time e,g, 200 games and be an outstanding player in his era, be that through guts and determination, flair and skill or leadership and character.  For me Gary Holt was a smashing, determined player who played an important part in a key era in the club''s history.  If there was an appropriate word for the category below "legend" then I might put Gary in it!

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]Would Huckerby still have attained legend status had he not gone on to sign permanently for us?[/quote]

?????? Erm, What??????

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="nolegs"]Feet.....all legends![/quote]

Like you''d know.

[/quote]brought a smile to my face !

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]Would Huckerby still have attained legend status had he not gone on to sign permanently for us?[/quote]

?????? Erm, What??????

[/quote]

I suppose I am asking: If Huckerby had not signed permanently had he done enough in his loan period only to achieve legend status.

Sorry if the original question was not worded very well.

I think the answer to that, Sparrow, is that Peter Crouch also made a massive contribution to that promotion season during his loan spell - but he''s not a Norwich City legend.

Legends

Iwan Roberts

Bryan Gunn

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Robert Fleck

Semi Legendary

Kevin Drinkell (would have been a Legend if he stayed one more season, my favourite ever Norwich player)

[quote user="mickfoot"]

Legends

Iwan Roberts

Bryan Gunn

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Robert Fleck

Semi Legendary

Kevin Drinkell (would have been a Legend if he stayed one more season, my favourite ever Norwich player)

[/quote]

You''re definitely a leg end.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="mickfoot"]

Legends

Iwan Roberts

Bryan Gunn

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Robert Fleck

Semi Legendary

[/quote]

You''re definitely a leg end.

[/quote]

Hips and toes are my leg ends.

A legend is a player who is commited to the club and shows this week in week out.He will often be the stand out performer once a fortnight at least and loves the club and fans.Huckerby is the last player to reach legend status Imho.And Grant Holt is certainly a crowd favourite, if however he jumps ship at the end of the season ( who knows ? ) then he certainly wont be a legend will he !!

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]Then we are in agreement on that one Mazy. Crouchy would get more than a warm welcome should he ever play against us again at CR.[/quote]The bloke would deffinatly get a good cheer / round of applause or song id say.His contribution to Norwich is well remembered !

Is it safe to say that as far as legends go at Norwich there is an elite group of less than twenty or is it a lot more. Would you name the whole squad who featured in Europe and the 92-93 squad as legends or was it just a legendary team in a legendary era?

he is not a legend!

he was a good player but not deserving legend status!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

he is not a legend!

[/quote]

Well he ONLY boosted us up into the Premiership, made us look half decent up there, gave us a good shout at getting back up there the season after, and still regularly watches Norwich matches when in England, plus contemplates returning as a trainer.

You''re a tough man to please!

[quote user="mickfoot"]

Legends

Iwan Roberts

Bryan Gunn

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Robert Fleck

Semi Legendary

[/quote]

I know he is [;)]

[quote user="Brendan"][quote user="mickfoot"]

Legends

Iwan Roberts

Bryan Gunn

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Robert Fleck

Semi Legendary

[/quote]

I know he is [;)]

[/quote]

Well spotted Brendan [;)]

[quote user="Largey"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

he is not a legend!

[/quote]

Well he ONLY boosted us up into the Premiership, made us look half decent up there, gave us a good shout at getting back up there the season after, and still regularly watches Norwich matches when in England, plus contemplates returning as a trainer.

You''re a tough man to please!

[/quote]

yeah he did that, but to be a legend you have done something special at the club, such as Keelan - most apps !

I think a Legend in terms of football and celebrities/actors people like that in general, are not as ''legendary'' as old legends like Dragons and vikings and things... its more of a term of a very much loved player, who did a great job, and probably had huge skill/work rate ect, but you can''t be a legend working at a hospital (well some patients/familys may think so after having a life saved) are not seen as legends, even if they become the best at what they do!!!!When you think of a Football legend, Pele, Maradona, Best, Shilton ect all come to mind, but then you go local, like Norwich and the legends become, Huckerby, Roberts, Fleck ect, players who did much less at other clubs, or on the whole most others clubs would not see as legends.....