Sign in to follow this  
Jacksons_redboots

Welcome to Gillingham

Afternoon Canary fans.

For those that haven''t been to Priestfield before I thought I''d highlight the delights of Gillingham and what you can expect on Saturday. The town isn''t the nicest and is often described, perhaps not unfairly, as "a Pikey S#%^hole" by many who have come before you-as well as a  lot who live there. Located next to the town where the word ''chav'' originates from (Chatham) you will not have to venture far from the train station to see evidence of this well established reputation. The stadium itself  is neatly located in an area of terraced housing. It would be best if you all did some sort of anti-rain dance prior to saturday as a lack of roof over our temporary, ricketty, lethal away supporters stand means that you will get drenched if, God forbid, the heavens do decide to open. However our pedantic jobsworth stewards will be able to provide you with free rain mac''s-(classy). Luckily I believe that it will be sunny for your venture on Saturday. We will try our best to create a good atmosphere although creativity is at an all time low, usually consisting of the highly original war cries of ''Blue and White Army'' and GIEELLLSSS! Expect the usual taunts concerning your relationships with close family members to which the correct response is '' You''re just a town full of pikeys'' or ''The wheels on your house go round and round''. Expect Grant Holt to get some stick as he has become somewhat of a nemisis and was a constant thorn in our side in the 2 league games against the Shrews last year until our revenge at Wembley. Bloody good player though.   

With regards to players to watch out for Simeon Jackson is the obvious one-scorer of 8 already this season (and linked with Everton in the currant bun yesterday) and Curtis Weston a very able creative midfielder. Along with Dennis Oli and Andy Barcham we have possibly the quickest front four in the league so you will need quite a pacy defence. Our defence is somewhat makeshift as we play with a midfielder at centerback due to a long term injury to our best player Simon King. Hope it''s a good open game and a few goals. I''m going for 2-2. (Jackson 2) and (Holt, Hoolahan)

Best for the rest of the season, except on saturday

Plus I nominate our left back John Nutter as a worthy addition to your ''worse names'' thread  

[quote]Along with Dennis Oli and Andy Barcham we have possibly the quickest

front four in the league so you will need quite a pacy defence[/quote]I don''t think our defence does pacey.  Could be interesting...

Good post ''boots'' Many thanks.

The Bury Boys will be there. We always enjoy our trips down to the Medway.

As Blah has correctly declared, we are a bit dodgy at the back when confronted by pace. Oh dear!!

One look at our away record for the last few years will make you feel even more confident.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Along with Dennis Oli and Andy Barcham we have possibly the quickest

front four in the league so you will need quite a pacy defence[/quote]I don''t think our defence does pacey.  Could be interesting... [/quote]our defence doesnt do anything.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Along with Dennis Oli and Andy Barcham we have possibly the quickest

front four in the league so you will need quite a pacy defence[/quote]I don''t think our defence does pacey.  Could be interesting... [/quote]Actually, Semi does pacey.  But he doesn''t do bothered too often.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Good post ''boots'' Many thanks. The Bury Boys will be there. We always enjoy our trips down to the Medway. As Blah has correctly declared, we are a bit dodgy at the back when confronted by pace. Oh dear!! One look at our away record for the last few years will make you feel even more confident.[/quote]

Don’t tell me, you’re not drinking and don’t want a starter?

Good original post none the less

Cheers to J-R for the information. This will be my fourth visit to Gillingham, and I’m sure the town will be as delightful as it was on my last visit in 2003. Looking forward to the dodgy away stand, that big old pub we visited last time, the chippy, and most of all, looking into the window of the house that has been converted into a hairdressers between the pub and the station. And the football of course.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I think the Doc needs to be put in the team to inject a bit of pace
[/quote]

Don''t say that Mr B, not even in jest.....and to the OP, nice post and welcome.

Cheers for the information, I was supposed to be meeting up with some (do I say old now I graduated this year?) Uni friends, but now they have weekend jobs, and I am sitting all on my own!  Is anyone here sitting in Block 6?

Im not able to make it on Saturday (working) but I''m going to the game in the other Pikey town on the other side of the river on 1 December.  I think a lot of the inlaws are related to Freddie Eastwood in some way

Think ''Chav'' was derived from Romany rather than from ''Chatham'' - but the post made gave me a good laugh especially the ''Wheels on your house go round and round'' - classic line

If your front line is as pacey as you say thats likely no points for us....:-(

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Cheers for the information, I was supposed to be meeting up with some (do I say old now I graduated this year?) Uni friends, but now they have weekend jobs, and I am sitting all on my own!  Is anyone here sitting in Block 6?[/quote]yes i am so make sure youre up for making some noise and try and stand if you can ;)

I''m looking forward to the game tomorrow, even though I will be sitting in with the home fans as I wanted to go and did not want to go through the lottery.

Hope thats clear.

[quote user="jelltex"]I''m looking forward to the game tomorrow, even though I will be sitting in with the home fans as I wanted to go and did not want to go through the lottery. Hope thats clear.[/quote]

everybody who went through the ''lottery'' got tickets

[quote user="jelltex"]I''m looking forward to the game tomorrow, even though I will be sitting in with the home fans as I wanted to go and did not want to go through the lottery.

Hope thats clear.[/quote]I got offered free tickets as I know one of the match officials for the game, but after a few away games sitting with home fans I just can''t do it anymore. Derby last season was flipping miserable. [:(]