Sign in to follow this  
coops

Gary Holt to become coach at Carrow Road

Gary Holt is currently on gardenening leave from Colchester United. On his way back to Norwich I have been told by a reliable source!

I''d love to have him back at the club in some capacity.

He fully deserved to be a club legend for the effort he put into playing for ncfc. This was ruined for him by worthys blind faith when perhaps better options were available, holty did nothing but try his best.

He''s here, he''s there, he''s every-"ruddy"-where, Gary holt, Gary holt!

[quote user="coops"]Gary Holt is currently on gardenening leave from Colchester United. On his way back to Norwich I have been told by a reliable source![/quote]

Sounds good this end!

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]I''d love to have him back at the club in some capacity. He fully deserved to be a club legend for the effort he put into playing for ncfc. This was ruined for him by worthys blind faith when perhaps better options were available, holty did nothing but try his best. He''s here, he''s there, he''s every-"ruddy"-where, Gary holt, Gary holt![/quote]

He''s not related to Doc for "trying his best" is he?[;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="coops"]Gary Holt is currently on gardenening leave from Colchester United. On his way back to Norwich I have been told by a reliable source![/quote]

Sounds good this end!

[/quote]

What sounds good? The gardening leave or him coming back to Norwich?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]I''d love to have him back at the club in some capacity. He fully deserved to be a club legend for the effort he put into playing for ncfc. This was ruined for him by worthys blind faith when perhaps better options were available, holty did nothing but try his best. He''s here, he''s there, he''s every-"ruddy"-where, Gary holt, Gary holt![/quote]

He''s not related to Doc for "trying his best" is he?[;)]

[/quote]Haha... in more recent years I''d have to say yes- but once upon a time his best was enough to run the middle of the park against every midfield we faced.Not a skillful player as such but noone seemed to shake him off for more than a few seconds and knew his limitations with the ball and played wihin them. Reminded me of Steve Bruce carrying the ball forwards.What Holt had is something I believe CAN be learnt... desire and attitude for 90 minutes.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Would love to see Holty back here.

Was it Worthy''s blind faith or the critics being blind to Holty''s contribution?

[/quote]

Dunno Nige but also registered as a player this end but covering for who we have no idea but with the age thing we got a bit worried.

Let us hope it is just coaching as he was comprenhensively seen off by his 23 year old[:|] oppo away v Heybridge Swifts

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Sounds good this end!

[/quote]

What sounds good? The gardening leave or him coming back to Norwich?

[/quote]

1. Gardening Leave

2. Going anywhere

[;)]

Holt was a one off for me. You say he ran the middle of the park but what did he do? He didn''t really tackle did he? Or spray passes around the pitch like Safri? He used to run beside players a lot I thought. Tell me what he did that was good before he apparently stopped doing it and only Worthy couldn''t see the change?

Cam.. I gotta lot of time for you and you''re welcome on here anytime in my book....

BUT.......

It''s my job to wind up the natives about Worthy, Holt and Doc...

OK[:^)]

Holt was a one off for me. You say he ran the middle of the park but what did he do? He didn''t really tackle did he? Or spray passes around the pitch like Safri? He used to run beside players a lot I thought. Tell me what he did that was good before he apparently stopped doing it and only Worthy couldn''t see the change?

[/quote]I remember tackling... and harrassing, and ball carrying.With the ball he would gain ground very effectively- indeed no great passer but won ground and then played a simple ball and got back in position.When the oppo had the ball he never let them have time or space- yes a lot of running alongside players but it did seem to stop them doing anything! When he nicked it back- off to point 1 again- gain back the ground (without hoofing it) and reset us up on the front foot.The main thing was he could and would do this non stop for 90 minutes. Stop them creating and give us a chance to create.By no means a 1 man midfield but the Didier Deschamps type ''watercarrier'' that every team needs. I''d have him at 100% over Safri every week. Safri et al need someone like Holt next to them.

Cam.. I gotta lot of time for you and you''re welcome on here anytime in my book....

BUT.......

[/quote]

Look sunshine.  Lambo registered this fat unfit bloke as a PLAYER and put it on in the second half at downtown Scraley Road where it was comprehensively ****** by the youngster who I remember in Swifts U14''s.

I bow to your job.  I was merely commenting.  [:|]

What I remember most Yellow Shirt was the way he filled in for others all over the pitch. I was never sure how he was a great midfielder because he never did anything much in midfield to remember him by. What was his best tackle? Which pass stands out in our memory? Of course when we were on top and had the opposition beaten we remember him running with the ball. Do you remember that second goal of McKenzies at the Portaloo? They let him run with the ball for at least 70 yards. First across the pitch and then down the wing. Not a tackle to be seen or a block as he was allowed to cross the ball to Leon who seemed to rise unchallenged to score. Stupid Binners!!

But my two greatest memories of Holty''s contribution to the team were in the Premiership. The first was a game against,well I think it was Blackburn but it doesn''t matter who. Hucks and Drury were attacking down the left, Holt was in their penalty box anticipating a cross. Suddenly the attack broke down and the other team broke down the right, we were hopelessly exposed and I feared the worst. Suddenly we had cover at left back and the counter broke down. Gary Holt was there, he had somehow preempted the danger and snuffed it out. I looked upfield and Drury was just crossing the halfway line while Hucks was probably still well in their half. My other memory is him coming on with 20 mins to go against Boro but I don''t remember him actually doing anything as we fought back to 4-4. It was as it always was, his presence giving Hucks the freedom to play.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

BUT.......

[/quote]

Look sunshine.  Lambo registered this fat unfit bloke as a PLAYER and put it on in the second half at downtown Scraley Road where it was comprehensively ****** by the youngster who I remember in Swifts U14''s.

[/quote]

Is this the same Lambo who can do no wrong at Norwich[:^)]

BUT.......

[/quote]

PS: If Billy can offer decent odds on Crook not lasting the season there''s £100 this end.

Now look here old son.. at eight F5''s a shot I can''t afford to be replying to the same post more than once[:|]

I shouldn''t think Billy''s interested in whether Chippy lasts the season or whether Elvis drives the tractor at Cuckoo Farm come to that. But he did give us amazing odds on those six games Wazzy sorted at the weekend, and those same odds are available to all of us. [Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

BUT.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s not fair.  I don''t have the same resource as the Archant Research Department,

What I remember most Yellow Shirt was the way he filled in for others all over the pitch. I was never sure how he was a great midfielder because he never did anything much in midfield to remember him by. What was his best tackle? Which pass stands out in our memory? Of course when we were on top and had the opposition beaten we remember him running with the ball. Do you remember that second goal of McKenzies at the Portaloo? They let him run with the ball for at least 70 yards. First across the pitch and then down the wing. Not a tackle to be seen or a block as he was allowed to cross the ball to Leon who seemed to rise unchallenged to score. Stupid Binners!!

But my two greatest memories of Holty''s contribution to the team were in the Premiership. The first was a game against,well I think it was Blackburn but it doesn''t matter who. Hucks and Drury were attacking down the left, Holt was in their penalty box anticipating a cross. Suddenly the attack broke down and the other team broke down the right, we were hopelessly exposed and I feared the worst. Suddenly we had cover at left back and the counter broke down. Gary Holt was there, he had somehow preempted the danger and snuffed it out. I looked upfield and Drury was just crossing the halfway line while Hucks was probably still well in their half. My other memory is him coming on with 20 mins to go against Boro but I don''t remember him actually doing anything as we fought back to 4-4. It was as it always was, his presence giving Hucks the freedom to play.

[/quote]That''s a good point- you can''t teach that kind of foresight! You may be right and you certainly remember specifics more than I do- not sure I could tell you anyones best tackle or pass (or goal in many cases)- I do remember flashes of Holt''s play though and indeed that cover was a godsend. As for the running, that''s sort of what I mean about Bruce- I don''t remember either ''beating'' a player, yet somehow being able to carry the ball further and often more directly than you''d think they should!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

BUT.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi there, sunshine!

OTBC

Do we actually need any more coaches on our already ruptured pay roll?

Or is it standard policy to just give a gig to every old boy with (or

indeed without) a fifa badge. I liked him in his day but why do we still need coaches? Is this apparent glut related to our need or that of former ''legends''? Oh and as a player coach I''d say no ta. Let''s look to the future.

Someone mentioned "legend" and Gary Holt in the same sentence... And in another tread Rob Newman was in a "worst XI team". I wonder what is wrong with some people on here...

i remember a superb strike at sheff weds from at least 40 yds. i remember a great but lucky goal at coventry. and i also remember one of the worst tackles i ever saw by him. but luckily it was on wilnis so i didnt mind. and whether fit or not. he is a good coach. speaking to him, (trying to understand him), he does have knowledge and was all energy as a player. admittedy he was fa special. but we missed him when he wasnt there.

GH was a master of breaking up the opposition play, its something we have lacked since he got too old to do that job. Closest we came were Francis and Etuhu who both used to go AWOL for long periods whereas Holty just kept puffing away restricting the oppo and denying them space. That was his job, another was to give the ball to someone who could use it and not try to be what he clearly wasn''t.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]GH was a master of breaking up the opposition play, its something we have lacked since he got too old to do that job. Closest we came were Francis and Etuhu who both used to go AWOL for long periods whereas Holty just kept puffing away restricting the oppo and denying them space. That was his job, another was to give the ball to someone who could use it and not try to be what he clearly wasn''t.[/quote]good point. just by pressuring opposition players, they cant pass the ball through you. and they cant go forwards, he also caused mistakes in players who might not have had the quickest of touches or those who were nervous under pressure. he was a hassler, had good discipline and swept up well. he was a good player in a side. he wouldnt of achieved much otherwise,

[quote user="Ole"]Someone mentioned "legend" and Gary Holt in the same sentence... And in another tread Rob Newman was in a "worst XI team". I wonder what is wrong with some people on here...[/quote]Anyone who doesn''t include Holt as a legend in our recent past has simply forgotten.Without him, Damien Francis would have had to tackle, instead of concentrating on attacking and scoring goals. Phil Mulryne''s Norwich career would''ve been stunted much sooner than it was, he didn''t have the mobility to get around the pitch. The central defence had protection, the fullbacks had cover, the wingers were bailed out, and the fans had someone they could empathise with, that was willing to run through a wall for the club. He had no designs to go elsewhere, never a mention of his contract renewal, wage dispute, late for training, out drunk before/after a match.I have a similar memory to Nutty''s, against Cardiff I think (Huckerby''s game). It was quite near the end and we were thrashing them, and had pretty much all 11 players upfield for a free kick, trying to score another. The ball got cleared and Holt sprinted a full 60 yards to tackle the player trying to counter. Nobody else bothered tracking back, but perhaps they didn''t need to - Holt wasn''t going to let him get away. Cardiff weren''t never going to win the match, even if they did score. But Holt wasn''t having them scoring.The way he was dismissed by the fans as his Norwich career came to an end still gets my back right up. He didn''t have the talent for the premiership, and had that problem with his lung but HOW much did we need him in the couple of seasons after our relegation????!!!