Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Worrying

Today saw a great result considering the penalty decision and down to ten men.But, we probably had as many chances as Gillingham, and scored only one. Most people had a pop at goal with head or foot, but missed consistently. In the last match there was some goalkeeping brilliance. This time our players could not find the target - the goal keeper didn''t need to be brilliant.This has been a problem for several seasons. Holt, especially on his own, is not the answer, although I do not doubt his effort and excellent passes and touches. We need firepower from elsewhere as well. It has seemed that Smith could score goals, but he was relegated to RB. Wes has to come good, or else we need a second out and out striker.In the meantime, shooting practice is called for - I''ve said that a few times over the years.

[quote user="Salopian"] It has seemed that Smith could score goals, but he was relegated to RB. [/quote]"Relegated to RB" - Oh dear, that doesn''t sound good [:|]...

Wasn''t at the game today, but it would seem to me that our priority, after so many years of turmoil, is to try and get a settled side, especially at the back, to keep some clean sheets and become difficult to beat. Lambert seems to be doing a pretty good job of that, injuries at MK Dons and what sounds like a pretty dodgy penalty decision today aside. It looks pretty clear that Leeds and Charlton are going to run away with automatic promotion - there don''t seem to be any decent sides around other than them, so the play-offs should be well within our grasp. I take the point about a lack of firepower, but I reckon a combination of Holt and Hoolahan on top of two solid and settled rows of four will be enough to get us in the top six. And after everything that has happened since the end of last season (and in some ways since Fulham) I would take that.