Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Is this now Lamberts first choice team?

I know Hughes and Nelson were injured to day and didn''t start, but is the team from today''s game Lamberts first choice team?

Forster
Otsemobor    Nelson   Askou   Drury
Daley         Hughes     Smith      Lappin
                          Hoolahan
                           Holt

If so I''m a bit worried: Firstly the right back position.  I know we have no other out and out right back, and Otsemobor is one of the quickest players in the league but there must be another player in the squad who can make a difference.  I for one think Spillane would be better there because, I don''t think he is a good enough centre back, but, although I wasn''t there, he did a good job in the couple of games he was at right back at the start of the season.  I think he would get forward well, and I think he would have the quality for the passing and crosses when he gets forward.

Secondly the right wing position.  McVeigh played a couple of really good games when he played there and for what ever reason he has been dropped.  Daley to me has offered nothing in an attacking threat, and his pace dosn''t seem to be what it has been built up to be.  He can not pass, cross, keep the ball and he looks nothing like scoring.

Thirdly Hoolahan.  Now, Norwich always works best when we have got two quality wingers and two quality strikers, and has never worked with only one striker.  With Hoolahan we don''t get an out and out partner for Holt which is what he needs, because he hasn''t got enough pace to run the line on his own.  Also with Hoolahan he always takes one touch to many which results to him missing the right pass.  He gets knocked of the ball to easily and no one can honestly say his final ball is good enough.  I think we need Holt and Cody upfront.

This is the team I would play:

Rudd
Spillane      Nelson      Askou   Drury
McVeigh   Hughes      Smith      Lappin
                  Holt         McDonald

This team gives us much more structure and discipline and I think it is much stronger than the one that has been playing.  And without Hoolahan in the side it gives us a much stronger spine.

If Lambert was to take Daley out and put McVeigh in, I think he''s got our first 11 exactly right. Not sure about the keeper but thats another story. But that''s pretty much the only part of your post I agree with.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

im just not sure about daley!

what does he bring to the team???

[/quote]From what I''ve seen so far he''s a straight line runner, in the team to force the opposition''s full back to retreat thus stretching the pitch. If you want to break the game of football down to a fairly simple level then you want to make the pitch as big as possible when you are attacking and as small as possible when defending. Players like Daley stretch the play whilst attacking with their pace and energy and close space down when we''re defending by being young and fit enough to press high up the pitch for longer without retreating. A lot of modern day teams have at least one wide player, either a full back or wide midfielder, who bombs up and down the pitch all day long but doesn''t always create a lot. With Hughes and Hoolahan in the side to provide a creative presence and with Lappin''s crossing ability on the left it does sort of make sense to play Daley wide right IMO.

[quote user="Boyo"]

This team gives us much more structure and discipline and I think it is much stronger than the one that has been playing.  And without Hoolahan in the side it gives us a much stronger spine.

[/quote]Can''t see how you can drop Hoolahan for McDonald. Who got the first against Charlton, was absolutely instrumental before the red card today, and also put the cross in which led to our equaliser today?McDonald had a good 30 minutes today, and whilst I like him as a player, you can''t tell me we looked any more like scoring when he was on the pitch. Perhaps when/if Korey''s form dips, Hughes can force his way back into the team, but if the luck had been with us today we would have had a fairly comfortable away win, so I don''t really see how he can change the team at all.

Now I don''t mean any offence by this... but... this is typical opinion of someone who doesn''t really see ''the big picture'' as far as football is concerned. Hoollahan, whilst VERY frustrating gives the opposition something to think about, rather than Cody, who IMO, and it seems Lambert''s is better used as a late impact sub when defences are getting tired. Daley, with his raw pace, will stretch the play creating space for others, and semi really hasn;t been as bad as some on here who seem to have some vendetta against him, will have you believe. Personally I would have Akou and Spillane as my defensive pair, think they complement each other well, but we should remember that Mickey is still young and will make some mistakes. From what I have seen so far though,I think that Lambert will not have a first choice XI, but will pick the team best suited to playing that weeks opposition. I have full faith in the man and can only see us getting better under him.