Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

What a dump

Sorry if any other posts on this but id like to just say how much of a * hole gillingham is. smashed up windows, wrecked pubs, sofas in the front garden etc and scaffolding for a stand. Good comeback but not in a hurry to go back Tongue Tied [:S]

I also had the undeniable pleasure of a Gillingham away match, fortunately it was the Hucks and Crouch show year when we won and played well.

The whole place gave me the creeps. Just an underlying air of something not very nice. I am not easily intimidated and have been to all the usual suspect places, Leeds, Millwall, Stoke etc, etc but sitting in a country park on the outskirts of the town before the match made our group all feel uneasy. The walk back to the car after the match wasn''t too enjoyable either.

As for the then temporary stand, well to say it was unsafe would be charitable. It swayed every time someone moved! I can''t say I am ever likely to repeat my journey to Gillingham. Once was more than enough.

Here''s a couple of pics I took of the incredibly attractive temporary stand, just to make all those who haven''t been jealous...[IMG]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/171/dsc00118.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/297/dsc00119vw.jpg[/IMG]

So its a dump

Whats the problem with that

Should make you grateful for what you have. I ant imagine many there like it like that

I lived in the area (Chatham) for a short time. Not a Norwich, but it wasn''t that bad.

The "Sleepy  Medway Towns" relied very heavily on Chatham docks and the Royal Navy.

When these declined, so did the area.

The Gills ground is in the middle of a particularly rundown area of terraces and a scruffy station.

In actual fact, it doesn''t look too bad in the photographs on Google Earth. I have never sat in the

visitor'' s part, but from the areas I have watched, I always considered it to be a decent effort for such

a poor and poorly supported club,

The beer aint much kop down there though, well not to my taste anyhow.

I loved that stand! What a laugh. When we scored and everyone was jumping up and down it got so noisy. The woman next to me went white. She thought it was going to tumble. I just said - oh well - good way to go eh? She didn''t look happy at all!

It was a great atmosphere but it might have been different if it had been p*ssing wth rain and we were 1-0 down!

I found the gills supporters friendly enough,the area is rough and the ground is ok but thanks god it was not raining! if you go next time take a coat.It took me back to the old river end days.

Bit concerned about fans smoking at half time in the "paddocks" under the stand. Lot of litter about, lessons from Bradford seem to have been forgotten.

Well I''ve lived in Cobholm myself and I''ll tell you now, as unpleasant as it is, it''s got nothing on Gillingham. Did you not see how many houses had broken windows and all the run down shops and pubs? Although Cobholm has dog muck everywhere and isn''t the nicest place, I never once felt intimidated living there, yet even when walking with fellow City fans, I was a tad nervous when trying to find my way to the Ground on Saturday and even when I''d reached the ground, I had a feeling that I''d better not walk down the wrong road or bump into the wrong person. Even OAP''s and Women were gobbing off and giving us the finger for no reason other than being a City fan. Gillingham had a nasty, uneasy feel to the place and that alone made if feel a darn sight worse than Cobholm in my opinion.

It''s funny how the atmosphere of a place can turn a person paranoid. I''m no fan of the town but parked up miles from the ground and walked on my own to and from. I have to be honest and say that I didn''t get any grief from locals at all. I wonder how many times travelling fans come to Norwich and walk off the train into the company of someone odd, which then affects their perception of the populus? Still - it was a dump though!

It reminded me of dartford, very quiet particulalry in the market area (very different to the hustle and noise of the Norwich one) and full of rather run down depressed looking people, the place had (as did dartford) an underlying air of menace. However having said that me and my mate did find a brilliant pub called the will adams on saxton street, very frinedly, lively, plenty of banter with some seasoned gills fans, very well kept real ales and we also got bonus jumbo sausages (ordered 1 but got 2). If anyone''s going to the paint pot cup tie then I would advise you to go and check it out.